ADVERTISEMENT

An open letter to Trev Alberts, Ronnie Green and the boosters who decided to bring back Frost

Yep, it was a frustration post and I’m kinda embarrassed about it today. It’s not really my style to engage in pointless tantrums. It just really hit me yesterday how long we’ve all been waiting to see some basic competence from this program. Still waiting.
Any organization or business worth its salt should be glad that customers, fans, and supporters have the nerve/courage/anger, etc to tell them they are dissatisfied.

I've had and still do, friends who are in the restaurant business and other types of businesses. To a man, they would rather have a customer complain to them about a subpar item than just pay the bill and walk out the door, never to return again.

To some of us, bitching about something comes naturally. I'm one of those guys. I don't just go around bitching about the service or product, the owners know I'm not gonna bullshit them and they take it in the proper perspective.

A fan base that finally checks out from years of supporting a shitty program will find other ways to spend their time during the fall. We have a ton of old fans, like me, who will slowly fade away, one way or another. Will there be another flight of people who will show loyalty for 50 years of supporting this school?

The under-40 crowd says hell no, they might go 1-2 times a year for a social day at the stadium, but, make it a big part of their life? No way.

For 40 years it was "routine" for NU fans to start making travel arrangements for what would be the annual bowl game. That thought has been so far removed from our thinking, it's almost as if it never even happened.

F--K YOU. Every single one of us who have spent this wasted season arguing about pointless shit and interim coaches can thank you for wasting yet another entire year of Nebraska football. This never should've happened. Whatever decision gets made in the next 3 weeks will probably be a terrible one, because I question the intelligence of the crew that gave us this 2022 season.

Nebraska Football - the gift that just keeps on giving.
I've been saying this for the last couple yrs. in that I have zero confidence in Ted Carter, Ronnie Green, Trev Alberts, and anyone else they get their advice from - to make the right decision. I don't. Ted Carter and Ronnie Green just are not very smart and Trev Alberts doesn't have the experience

Reactions: mgbreis
I've been saying this for the last couple yrs. in that I have zero confidence in Ted Carter, Ronnie Green, Trev Alberts, and anyone else they get their advice from - to make the right decision. I don't. Ted Carter and Ronnie Green just are not very smart and Trev Alberts doesn't have the experience
No doubt Trev knows football.

As far as Carter and Green, they likely fit in the category that Bill Parcells used to describe his wife, "she doesn't know if the football is filled with air or stuffed with feathers."

No doubt Trev knows football.

As far as Carter and Green, they likely fit in the category that Bill Parcells used to describe his wife, "she doesn't know if the football is filled with air or stuffed with feathers."
Green knows. I’m not so sure about Carter.

Anyone who wants to put any blame on Coach Osborne for the situation Nebraska football is currently in is not thinking rationally what led the program to be in its current sorry state.

Coach Osborne doesn't make emotional rash judgements or decisions like so many others, especially on any forum board, but instead puts a lot of thought into making a decision before taking action on it.

It's water under the bridge now but if the fan base had let Osborne's hand picked replacement, Frank Solich alone long enough the program likely would have went through more 9+ win seasons again before evolving back into another juggernaut. But the fan base however wanted no interruption in It's "national championship or bust" way of thinking and instead had Solich ran out of town.

So instead of letting things play out and letting Osborne guide Solich through both the minefield of unrealistic fan expectations of a championship team every year and the transitioning every program goes through after replacement a very successful coach Solich was fired and here we are getting what we deserve.

Anyone who grew up when Osborne took over from Devaney remembers how rough it was from the fans for Osborne from the time he took over until at least the early eighties until he could start winning some of the "big" games. If the internet and social media had been back then what it is today Osborne likely wouldn't have been the Nebraska coach after his 3rd or 4th season so give that some thought.

What I think should be given a chance to play out is a process where the pitchforks and torches need to be put down while we all step back and take back control of our emotions.

Of course everyone is upset how the last 20+ years have played out but it's time to start letting our current AD go through the due process of evaluating the current coaching staff and getting the best HC and staff hired that he believes will get the football program headed in the right direction.

I for one think that us emotional and demanding fans have done enough damage to the program for awhile. Let's sit back and see how the remainder of the season plays out and who will Trev finds to be our permanent HC going forward.

Excellent post sir.....100% on the money. I think most fans don't realize that even TO needed 20 years to break through the big games. Solich getting fired was a truly MASSIVE mistake but lets us get Riley, Clownahan & Frost.

Reactions: Thortulz
Set back the rebuild another year. Hopefully Trev hits a homerun in the hiring process.
Are you kidding me the longer this has dragged on the the more confidence I lose in Trev.

Trev and his gang bungled Scott Fraud since the day he was hired.

You can't tell me that Trev didn't know what Fraud was doing. Yet he still let him stay.

Now thanks to Trev we have another self inflicted controversy IHCMJ.

Reactions: oldjar07
Your wrong Solich should of never been hired and that is squarely on TO's shoulders.
I disagree, still had the staff intact even though some of them were getting close to retirement..

If it wasn’t broke don’t fix it..

An open letter to the fans from Trev:

Thanks for your input, but I know what I'm doing.

Reactions: dinglefritz
It was sarcastic

you’re right, though, there is much and more that is incredibly ironic about the lens through which many view this hire and what constitutes acceptable “experience”

both sides of one’s mouth (plus several inches of throat for a select few) getting a real workout lately

Reactions: WHCSC
Osborne did not have the authority to hand pick a replacement. Bill Byrne the Athletic Director had the authority to pick the replacement. The fact Osborne held a PC naming FS HC while Byrne was on vacation was dishonorable and insubordinate and led to a lot more scrutiny of Frank's performance.

There was more going on with Solich's staff than wins, losses and recruiting that factored into Pederson canning him. Besides, Pederson was Osborne's choice for AD since he had previously been Osborne's recruiting coordinator, So his thoughtful decision to endorse Pederson led to "his" AD canning "his" handpicked coach. I always suspected Pederson didn't like Solich from back when they were assistants and wanted him gone from the minute he took the job. So my opinion is the fanbase had very little to do with Solich getting fired. A lot of us were pretty happy with the season he was fired - some good wins.
There was one reason Pederson canned Solich. That's because Peterson couldn't control Solich and always get him to do what he wanted done. Peterson felt very insecure as the AD as a result. So he wanted to get his own man in the job so he could control him.

Last edited:
There was one reason Peterson canned Solich. That's because Peterson couldn't control Solich and always get him to do what he wanted done. Peterson felt very insecure as the AD as a result. So he wanted to get his own man in the job so he could control him.
Pederson. Carry on.Winking

Somewhere in the letter you should ask about arranging some kind of “Forgive us for firing Frank Solich” exorcism.

That may be the only way to lift the curse and give the next coach a clean slate.

Anyone who wants to put any blame on Coach Osborne for the situation Nebraska football is currently in is not thinking rationally what led the program to be in its current sorry state.

Coach Osborne doesn't make emotional rash judgements or decisions like so many others, especially on any forum board, but instead puts a lot of thought into making a decision before taking action on it.

It's water under the bridge now but if the fan base had let Osborne's hand picked replacement, Frank Solich alone long enough the program likely would have went through more 9+ win seasons again before evolving back into another juggernaut. But the fan base however wanted no interruption in It's "national championship or bust" way of thinking and instead had Solich ran out of town.

So instead of letting things play out and letting Osborne guide Solich through both the minefield of unrealistic fan expectations of a championship team every year and the transitioning every program goes through after replacement a very successful coach Solich was fired and here we are getting what we deserve.

Anyone who grew up when Osborne took over from Devaney remembers how rough it was from the fans for Osborne from the time he took over until at least the early eighties until he could start winning some of the "big" games. If the internet and social media had been back then what it is today Osborne likely wouldn't have been the Nebraska coach after his 3rd or 4th season so give that some thought.

What I think should be given a chance to play out is a process where the pitchforks and torches need to be put down while we all step back and take back control of our emotions.

Of course everyone is upset how the last 20+ years have played out but it's time to start letting our current AD go through the due process of evaluating the current coaching staff and getting the best HC and staff hired that he believes will get the football program headed in the right direction.

I for one think that us emotional and demanding fans have done enough damage to the program for awhile. Let's sit back and see how the remainder of the season plays out and who will Trev finds to be our permanent HC going forward.
Uh no. At the time Solich was fired the program had slipped a wrung or two beneath the programs built by Stoops at OU, Mack Brown at Texas and Snyder at KSU. When he inherited the keys in 2008 the program was at the apex of college football. Everything was on a downward trajectory. That 2003 season was played against a particularly weak schedule (PSU was a 3-9 team that year and NU barely beat them at home). It was really a team that would have gone 7-5 or 6-6 most years. Still better than what we have now but we are truly rock bottom now.
Osborne is human. He gives a lot more leeway to people he likes and has ties to, particularly ex-players and ex-coaches that he had on staff. He wasn't going to give Callahan another season because he wasn't a Nebraska guy or had a staff of Nebraska guys. It didn't matter that there were better recruits in the system than we have seen in 20+ years and that some coaching changes after 2007 on defense would likely have been enough to make a top-10 team.

Osborne has been practically deifed in Nebraska but the human side of Osborne and sentiment in favor of Nebraska guys has been an on-going problem. And yes he has had a lot of power as an AD for a period and then indirectly through boosters.
Alabama also went through a period in the 80s and 90s where they were stuck on finding guys with ties to the Bear Bryant era (Dubose, etc). Finally they went outside their own history and hit a homerun by paying top dollar for a guy that was a known winner in college football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT