ADVERTISEMENT

An open letter to Trev Alberts, Ronnie Green and the boosters who decided to bring back Frost

F--K YOU. Every single one of us who have spent this wasted season arguing about pointless shit and interim coaches can thank you for wasting yet another entire year of Nebraska football. This never should've happened. Whatever decision gets made in the next 3 weeks will probably be a terrible one, because I question the intelligence of the crew that gave us this 2022 season.

Nebraska Football - the gift that just keeps on giving.
Post of the year right there. Says what everyone else has been "afraid to". It is time to man up and put the past away.

Last edited:
Tom Osborne was a great coach and someone I admired a long time. I feel that his presence indirectly in the program over the past couple decades has started to really become a negative. Make no mistake that he has sentimental feelings toward ex-Husker players that cloud his judgement. He also influences a lot of important people and gets irascible when things aren't the way he wants them to be. The divided program that existed since Solich was fired is part of what has led to the coaching dysfunction in my opinion. Every coach not named Frost was disliked by a large segment of the fanbase for not being Nebraska-enough. That negativity permeates the hiring process and the program later on.
Frost was the gift that everyone wanted but we see now that it was the worst hire possible. Get a good coach and let them be the program leader without influence from afar.
All good thoughts, but it will never happen. The boosters and fanbase have an inherent need to inbreed

Post of the year right there. Says what everyone else has been "afraid to". It is time to man up and put the past away.
Not everyone. The few that did were ran out of here by the illiterate super-fans.

I don't give a rats ass where where a former coach 25 years ago stands.. Love his time as a coach, but screw him in the present tense.
That’s fine for a fan but the AD job is a political one. Boosters who are giving millions of dollars and the BOR have to be on board or you’re screwed. You might remember Steve Pederson firing a coach without having everybody on board.

I didn't mean to imply TO visited Trev in his office and "demanded" he keep Frost on. What I suspect is he visited several of the regents, told a folksy story and a joke or two and let them know in his opinion our problem has been turnover and Frost needed another year. Same with several boosters of substance. So you got those guys dropping hints to Trev, and he didn't have a full year on the job to to vet candidates, so I can't blame him for not pulling the trigger on FHCSF.

I'd rather have this season thrown away and a really comprehensive search getting us a really good coach than a rushed search last year getting another Bill Callahan.
I’d be very disappointed if it’s Gary Patterson would make no sense after retaining SF and the following year hire a guy who was fired himself after having 2 of the last 3 years with a losing seasons at TCU..

I’d be very disappointed if it’s Gary Patterson would make no sense after retaining SF and the following year hire a guy who was fired himself after having 2 of the last 3 years with a losing seasons at TCU..
Patterson is 62. The only thing I could remotely come up with regards to his hire would be hire him for 3-4 years with MJ as head coach in waiting.

it would be absolutely ridiculous which scares me that this admin is actually considering it

That would be our mike Riley 2.0

Patterson would be fine here. Would do the job like a pro should. Alas, those that demand inbreeding would be against it from day 1. Such a healthy fanbase we have here

Reactions: American Horse
Anyone who wants to put any blame on Coach Osborne for the situation Nebraska football is currently in is not thinking rationally what led the program to be in its current sorry state.

Coach Osborne doesn't make emotional rash judgements or decisions like so many others, especially on any forum board, but instead puts a lot of thought into making a decision before taking action on it.

It's water under the bridge now but if the fan base had let Osborne's hand picked replacement, Frank Solich alone long enough the program likely would have went through more 9+ win seasons again before evolving back into another juggernaut. But the fan base however wanted no interruption in It's "national championship or bust" way of thinking and instead had Solich ran out of town.

So instead of letting things play out and letting Osborne guide Solich through both the minefield of unrealistic fan expectations of a championship team every year and the transitioning every program goes through after replacement a very successful coach Solich was fired and here we are getting what we deserve.

Anyone who grew up when Osborne took over from Devaney remembers how rough it was from the fans for Osborne from the time he took over until at least the early eighties until he could start winning some of the "big" games. If the internet and social media had been back then what it is today Osborne likely wouldn't have been the Nebraska coach after his 3rd or 4th season so give that some thought.

What I think should be given a chance to play out is a process where the pitchforks and torches need to be put down while we all step back and take back control of our emotions.

Of course everyone is upset how the last 20+ years have played out but it's time to start letting our current AD go through the due process of evaluating the current coaching staff and getting the best HC and staff hired that he believes will get the football program headed in the right direction.

I for one think that us emotional and demanding fans have done enough damage to the program for awhile. Let's sit back and see how the remainder of the season plays out and who will Trev finds to be our permanent HC going forward.

Anyone who wants to put any blame on Coach Osborne for the situation Nebraska football is currently in is not thinking rationally what led the program to be in its current sorry state.

Coach Osborne doesn't make emotional rash judgements or decisions like so many others, especially on any forum board, but instead puts a lot of thought into making a decision before taking action on it.

It's water under the bridge now but if the fan base had let Osborne's hand picked replacement, Frank Solich alone long enough the program likely would have went through more 9+ win seasons again before evolving back into another juggernaut. But the fan base however wanted no interruption in It's "national championship or bust" way of thinking and instead had Solich ran out of town.

So instead of letting things play out and letting Osborne guide Solich through both the minefield of unrealistic fan expectations of a championship team every year and the transitioning every program goes through after replacement a very successful coach Solich was fired and here we are getting what we deserve.

Anyone who grew up when Osborne took over from Devaney remembers how rough it was from the fans for Osborne from the time he took over until at least the early eighties until he could start winning some of the "big" games. If the internet and social media had been back then what it is today Osborne likely wouldn't have been the Nebraska coach after his 3rd or 4th season so give that some thought.

What I think should be given a chance to play out is a process where the pitchforks and torches need to be put down while we all step back and take back control of our emotions.

Of course everyone is upset how the last 20+ years have played out but it's time to start letting our current AD go through the due process of evaluating the current coaching staff and getting the best HC and staff hired that he believes will get the football program headed in the right direction.

I for one think that us emotional and demanding fans have done enough damage to the program for awhile. Let's sit back and see how the remainder of the season plays out and who will Trev finds to be our permanent HC going forward.
Hahahaha. Good one. You do realize the Osborne apologists are the ones that get out the torches and pitchforks (before guys ever coach a game)? Ironic post is ironic

Hahahaha. Good one. You do realize the Osborne apologists are the ones that get out the torches and pitchforks (before guys ever coach a game)? Ironic post
Please explain...

I offered up an explanation or my opinion not an apology in any way shape or form for how the football program has reached its current state and how we should all be patient and see how the remainder of the season and the HC search plays out.

However, you seem to want to classify me into a group that fits your narrative.

Good day

Last edited:
Please explain...

I offered up an explanation or my opinion not an apology in any way shape or form for how the football program has reached its current state and how we should all be patient and see how the remainder of the season and the HC search plays out.

However, you seem to want to classify me into a group that fits your narrative.

Good day
Yea yea. I’m sure you were a frosturbator, and gave the same support to Riley and Callahan from day 1. Right. Fitting only the illiterate like your posts

The blame on Osborne is just idiotic at this point. If he really had as much power as some like to think, Callahan and Riley would have never been hired.

He is the reason Alberts was forced to bring Frost back. Trev even admitted when he made the announcement it wasn't going to work. If you know an employee isn't going to work, you don't keep him unless there is pressure to do so.
Osborne didn't have a ****ing thing to do with it. Trev is the AD and he's responsible.

Yeah and Callahan is the only elite recruiter Nebraska has had since TO. Looking back I wish he was forced to fire Cosgrove but given more time. Even in his last year which sucked, the offense was humming
This is what almost all of us wanted - unfortunately Callahan had ample opportunity and warning to get rid of Cos, and made it pretty clear they were a package deal.

Yeah and Callahan is the only elite recruiter Nebraska has had since TO. Looking back I wish he was forced to fire Cosgrove but given more time. Even in his last year which sucked, the offense was humming
The offense really got humming that year when Sam Keller got injured and Joe Ganz became the starter.

Reactions: rcnut223
Patterson would be fine here. Would do the job like a pro should. Alas, those that demand inbreeding would be against it from day 1. Such a healthy fanbase we have here
I'm not against Patterson because he is an outsider. I'm against Patterson because his last two seasons at TCU we're losing seasons. He's washed up

A lot of false assumptions in this thread.
Ronnie wanted frost gone AND trev had the money and the green light to do so.
Trev kept him.
This was trevs decision, 100%.
we can argue the merits of the decision and I can understand a few reasons why trev wanted to keep him but its time to stop blaming others for what was ultimately trev’s decision.
Ok so where is this open letter . People in this thread clearly can’t comprehend what they read or there are 2 letters being circulated .

It's water under the bridge now but if the fan base had let Osborne's hand picked replacement, Frank Solich alone long enough the program likely would have went through more 9+ win seasons again before evolving back into another juggernaut.
Osborne did not have the authority to hand pick a replacement. Bill Byrne the Athletic Director had the authority to pick the replacement. The fact Osborne held a PC naming FS HC while Byrne was on vacation was dishonorable and insubordinate and led to a lot more scrutiny of Frank's performance.
There was more going on with Solich's staff than wins, losses and recruiting that factored into Pederson canning him. Besides, Pederson was Osborne's choice for AD since he had previously been Osborne's recruiting coordinator, So his thoughtful decision to endorse Pederson led to "his" AD canning "his" handpicked coach. I always suspected Pederson didn't like Solich from back when they were assistants and wanted him gone from the minute he took the job. So my opinion is the fanbase had very little to do with Solich getting fired. A lot of us were pretty happy with the season he was fired - some good wins.

He is the reason Alberts was forced to bring Frost back. Trev even admitted when he made the announcement it wasn't going to work. If you know an employee isn't going to work, you don't keep him unless there is pressure to do so.
Learned many years ago, I never regretted firing a poor performer but have regretted not doing it sooner

Reactions: Chief Wiggum
I always wondered that Solich deserved another year with his forced hire of new assistants. I liked that group of nine. But being the replacement for a legend, a Hall of Fame coach means lack of patience and a deviation from the recent norm demands change. In between we had three hires that I don’t miss. Two of them basically coached in the easier Big 12. The last fire, with Nebraska roots, seemed a very good up-and-coming head football coach. He was in over his head on a few critical components. The Big Ten is a step up and we have faltered and stepped down.

Now a second year AD has the major boosters, a new huge sparkling football facility and NIL to present to a new head football coach. This is the most important football hire and group of assistants in the history of the football program. We are blessed being in the Big Ten with football media rights probably second to none. In a few years the media rights alone will equal our entire athletic department budget for the very late 1990’s.

We need a head football coach with success in a power five conference or two and the known ability of evaluating teenagers very well and developing up to and beyond what the conventional wisdom suggests. A Osborne. I hope the entire Nebraska package produces a new head coach that is the best since Osborne on the field. We have sorely lacked teams and players who live up to and beyond those revered football recruiting rankings. Lol. GBR.

Yup. We are the only school in the country that would’ve kept on a legacy player that long….with that much incredible failure. Hell, Florida would’ve fired Tebow after 2 to 2.5 seasons. Loyalty be damned. It’s fascinating.

I don't know the numbers, but a very large proportion of Nebraska fans would have been extremely upset if Frost was canned last year. THAT is the reason he was given one final chance.

Some needed to see Frost be given "one last final chance!" a half dozen times before they could accept moving on to someone else. So IMO, the blame belongs on those fans and not Trev.

Yea yea. I’m sure you were a frosturbator, and gave the same support to Riley and Callahan from day 1. Right. Fitting only the illiterate like your posts
I think by the types of posts that you make you are likely just an Iowa troll hiding out on this board as nothing constructive is ever suggested in your trying to typecast or name-calling posts.

Seems like a sad life and is a waste of time to spend so much time being so negative towards anyone of a different mindset.

I think by the types of posts that you make you are likely just an Iowa troll hiding out on this board as nothing constructive is ever suggested in your trying to typecast or name-calling posts.

Seems like a sad life and is a waste of time to spend so much time being so negative towards anyone of a different mindset.
Aww, got you in the feels retread?

F--K YOU. Every single one of us who have spent this wasted season arguing about pointless shit and interim coaches can thank you for wasting yet another entire year of Nebraska football. This never should've happened. Whatever decision gets made in the next 3 weeks will probably be a terrible one, because I question the intelligence of the crew that gave us this 2022 season.

Trevs job depends on his upcoming pick of head coach. So, I think its safe to assume that someone who makes a lot of money(Trev), is going to do his homework and consult many football saavy individuals. His/Their reasoning may be flawed, and his pick may flop, but I've no doubt Trev will believe he has hired the right guy from the available pool of candidates. Hindsight will prove him right or wrong.

I just hope that everyones appreciation of what Dr. Tom accomplished here has grown appreciably.

Reactions: WHCSC

He’s a jerk, that’s for sure

Reactions: scarletred
He’s a jerk, that’s for sure
Sad face. All these fanboys, and none of you have a clue. It’s great when the illiterate have a need to clap approval like circus seals every time one of you gets your precious feels hurt

Frost should have been cashiered after the Covid season, but Moos was still holding the AD reins. He could not make it work. And when his offense was stripped from him, he really started mailing it in.

Reactions: moralvictories
Osborne did not have the authority to hand pick a replacement. Bill Byrne the Athletic Director had the authority to pick the replacement. The fact Osborne held a PC naming FS HC while Byrne was on vacation was dishonorable and insubordinate and led to a lot more scrutiny of Frank's performance.

There was more going on with Solich's staff than wins, losses and recruiting that factored into Pederson canning him. Besides, Pederson was Osborne's choice for AD since he had previously been Osborne's recruiting coordinator, So his thoughtful decision to endorse Pederson led to "his" AD canning "his" handpicked coach. I always suspected Pederson didn't like Solich from back when they were assistants and wanted him gone from the minute he took the job. So my opinion is the fanbase had very little to do with Solich getting fired. A lot of us were pretty happy with the season he was fired - some good wins.
Pederson thought he was more important than the program. He thought he could do better than Solich.

Reactions: Thortulz

Great Frustration Post.

But they were probably hoping Scott could get things figured out. They brought in a bunch of new players and staff, so I think there was an attempt to avoid firing him.

Still your post brings up the topic of fan abuse.. maybe a bit silly to look at it like that, but in some ways, that is how it has felt to the loyal fan base to be treated to this garbage for as long as its been going on.

The only thing people can do is to vote with their wallets, clicks, and eyeballs. It's the only recourse each person has, individually.

Lol, I know.

I have no idea how someone can have such a miserable life that they feel the need to troll others online to try and make themselves feel better.
Are you crying?

Great Frustration Post.

But they were probably hoping Scott could get things figured out. They brought in a bunch of new players and staff, so I think there was an attempt to avoid firing him.

Still your post brings up the topic of fan abuse.. maybe a bit silly to look at it like that, but in some ways, that is how it has felt to the loyal fan base to be treated to this garbage for as long as its been going on.

The only thing people can do is to vote with their wallets, clicks, and eyeballs. It's the only recourse each person has, individually.
I'm glad mg rolled with a frustration post. We only have 3 more weeks of ass-whoopings and then it's just in time for some, but not me, to watch the basketball team get drilled night after night.

I sat through the NU game yesterday, as I have forever, knowing that after that shitshow ends, at least at 2:30 I can watch some real football with Tennessee v. Georgia, and the later game with Bama v. LSU.

High-stakes games that matter. That used to be our fans. Now, seasons are spent trying to figure out a way to get 6 wins and play in the most minor of all bowl games. The dream matchup against UConn.

Fans that are fanatical about winning because their ADs and administration at some point hired the right guys in those places. Brian Kelly in Year 1, Heupel in Year 2. And we're still trying to find a winner after almost a decade.

There is a coach out there that can pull this off if given time. Chances are, the administration will manage to screw that up too.

I'm glad mg rolled with a frustration post. We only have 3 more weeks of ass-whoopings and then it's just in time for some, but not me, to watch the basketball team get drilled night after night.

I sat through the NU game yesterday, as I have forever, knowing that after that shitshow ends, at least at 2:30 I can watch some real football with Tennessee v. Georgia, and the later game with Bama v. LSU.

High-stakes games that matter. That used to be our fans. Now, seasons are spent trying to figure out a way to get 6 wins and play in the most minor of all bowl games. The dream matchup against UConn.

Fans that are fanatical about winning because their ADs and administration at some point hired the right guys in those places. Brian Kelly in Year 1, Heupel in Year 2. And we're still trying to find a winner after almost a decade.

There is a coach out there that can pull this off if given time. Chances are, the administration will manage to screw that up too.
You are not alone in watching SEC games. They are the premier league for good football, and it's only going to get better in the future.

Great Frustration Post.

Yep, it was a frustration post and I’m kinda embarrassed about it today. It’s not really my style to engage in pointless tantrums. It just really hit me yesterday how long we’ve all been waiting to see some basic competence from this program. Still waiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT