ADVERTISEMENT

An open letter to Trev Alberts, Ronnie Green and the boosters who decided to bring back Frost

mgbreis

Defensive Coordinator
Dec 16, 2004
F--K YOU. Every single one of us who have spent this wasted season arguing about pointless shit and interim coaches can thank you for wasting yet another entire year of Nebraska football. This never should've happened. Whatever decision gets made in the next 3 weeks will probably be a terrible one, because I question the intelligence of the crew that gave us this 2022 season.

Nebraska Football - the gift that just keeps on giving.

F--K YOU. Every single one of us who have spent this wasted season arguing about pointless shit and interim coaches can thank you for wasting yet another entire year of Nebraska football. This never should've happened. Whatever decision gets made in the next 3 weeks will probably be a terrible one, because I question the intelligence of the crew that gave us this 2022 season.

I 100% agree with this statement! We currently have nobody inside the football program that has enough intelligence to make any decisions that will allow Nebraska football to be a successful program again.

Reactions: Clevinger
I won't drop an 'F' bomb on them, but it clearly cost us this season. Maybe we lose today anyway, but if Frost was fired after last season, we'd probably be 5-4 at worst now. We'd have beaten NW and GaSouthern.

And, as I write that, I gotta think that since we had the worst coach in America to start the season, maybe with a competent staff in place for the past 11 months, we would have found a way to beat Illinois, Minnesota, or Purdue.

I won't drop an 'F' bomb on them, but it clearly cost us this season. Maybe we lose today anyway, but if Frost was fired after last season, we'd probably be 5-4 at worst now. We'd have beaten NW and GaSouthern.

And, as I write that, I gotta think that since we had the worst coach in America to start the season, maybe with a competent staff in place for the past 11 months, we would have found a way to beat Illinois, Minnesota, or Purdue.
For those who wanted SF back after season 3 and then again after season 4, his record clearly established SF as in the bottom 10% and the bottom 2% if you adjust for what he was paid. SF was a disease that needed to be cut out long before this season

Exactly and two thumbs up to the OP. I wanted Frost fired after the Illinois loss at the beginning of last season. But I would have been content with him getting fired at the end. I am sick and tired of hearing all of the so-called "explanations" as to why it did not happen. It was a shit decision to retain him and it cost us this season.

Don’t forget Osborne. He has been a disease in the program the last 25 years. Any booster that still thinks he should have an opinion should have their head examined. I hope all the Frosturbators here learned the lesson that looking back is no way to move a program forward. But I doubt it. Problem is they are a pretty big majority of the fan base. I hope all the idiots are enjoying these seasons.

Don’t forget Osborne. He has been a disease in the program the last 25 years. Any booster that still thinks he should have an opinion should have their head examined. I hope all the Frosturbators here learned the lesson that looking back is no way to move a program forward. But I doubt it. Problem is they are a pretty big majority of the fan base. I hope all the idiots are enjoying these seasons.
He is the reason Alberts was forced to bring Frost back. Trev even admitted when he made the announcement it wasn't going to work. If you know an employee isn't going to work, you don't keep him unless there is pressure to do so.

A lot of false assumptions in this thread.
Ronnie wanted frost gone AND trev had the money and the green light to do so.
Trev kept him.
This was trevs decision, 100%.
we can argue the merits of the decision and I can understand a few reasons why trev wanted to keep him but its time to stop blaming others for what was ultimately trev’s decision.

Trev kept him.
we can argue the merits of the decision and I can understand a few reasons why trev wanted to keep him but its time to stop blaming others for what was ultimately trev’s decision.
You’re entitled to your opinion. No problem. Someone I trust tells me the opposite, that Trev wanted him gone a RG saved Frost. Whatever, massive fail by all of them.

He is the reason Alberts was forced to bring Frost back. Trev even admitted when he made the announcement it wasn't going to work. If you know an employee isn't going to work, you don't keep him unless there is pressure to do so.
I seriously doubt Osborne interfered by demanding Frost be given another year. He may have suggested it BUT Trev was the man in charge so the final responsibility was HIS. IF Trev made that decision based on someone else telling him what to do, then he doesn't belong in the job.

I seriously doubt Osborne interfered by demanding Frost be given another year. He may have suggested it BUT Trev was the man in charge so the final responsibility was HIS. IF Trev made that decision based on someone else telling him what to do, then he doesn't belong in the job.
Yeah, just look how unified the fans and program are when Osborne gets butthurt, and threatens to turn in his box again. Stop making excuses for him.

Reactions: Husker.Wed.
The dumbest choice IMO was to bring Frost back but micro-manage him with forced staff hires. Either Frost was the guy or he wasn’t but you can’t go halfsies. You can’t tell a guy I trust you for the job but I don’t trust you for the job. And It obviously turned out he wasn’t. But you can’t put an offensive staff together as an AD when you have an offensive minded coach.

imagine being so enlightened that you knew this would happen prior to a single snap being taken in 2021

Last edited:

I really don’t think Trev wanted Frost back.

Frost had a lot of friends in high places. So influential that they were able to bring him back for one more chance with a re-worked contract.

But yeah, a big FU to THOSE people that put one person ahead the football program. The program has really been set back due to Frost running the program into the ground.

Trev kept him.
Actually - I don’t think you can argument the merits - there weren’t any

Reactions: bshirt73
IF Trev made that decision based on someone else telling him what to do, then he doesn't belong in the job.
Exactly, the buck stops at Trev's desk. The final decision is his, he can't pass off reponsibility onto someone else.

Did Trev shirk his responsibility as AD? There is strong evidence to suggest that this was NOT the case: Fred Hoiberg. He also retained the worst BB coach in Nebraska history. Say what you want about Alberts but at least he is consistent.

Last edited:

Excellent post.

Reactions: bshirt73
imagine being so enlightened that you knew this would happen prior to a single snap being taken in 2021
All you have to do is actually understand what the personality is of the guy “running” the show. He was never mature enough to put in the work he was paid to do

Reactions: king_kong_

Frost had a lot of friends in high places. So influential that they were able to bring him back for one more chance with a re-worked contract.

But yeah, a big FU to THOSE people that put one person ahead the football program. The program has really been set back due to Frost running the program into the ground.
This program has been strangled for 20 years, by the butthurt of those exact people.

The program has been a joke for 20 years.

I didn't mean to imply TO visited Trev in his office and "demanded" he keep Frost on. What I suspect is he visited several of the regents, told a folksy story and a joke or two and let them know in his opinion our problem has been turnover and Frost needed another year. Same with several boosters of substance. So you got those guys dropping hints to Trev, and he didn't have a full year on the job to to vet candidates, so I can't blame him for not pulling the trigger on FHCSF.

I'd rather have this season thrown away and a really comprehensive search getting us a really good coach than a rushed search last year getting another Bill Callahan.

You’re entitled to your opinion. No problem. Someone I trust tells me the opposite, that Trev wanted him gone a RG saved Frost. Whatever, massive fail by all of them.
It’s not just Ronnie either. Neither Ronnie nor Trev had the political capital it took to over ride the people writing the checks.

Once they had the consensus they needed they didn’t blink. 15 million be damned.

Reactions: loper and mgbreis
I didn't mean to imply TO visited Trev in his office and "demanded" he keep Frost on. What I suspect is he visited several of the regents, told a folksy story and a joke or two and let them know in his opinion our problem has been turnover and Frost needed another year. Same with several boosters of substance. So you got those guys dropping hints to Trev, and he didn't have a full year on the job to to vet candidates, so I can't blame him for not pulling the trigger on FHCSF.

I'd rather have this season thrown away and a really comprehensive search getting us a really good coach than a rushed search last year getting another Bill Callahan.
Make no mistake they all knew where Tom stood.

Bill Callahan would be a step up from Scott Frost. At least Callahan had a couple of good seasons.

Tom Osborne was a great coach and someone I admired a long time. I feel that his presence indirectly in the program over the past couple decades has started to really become a negative. Make no mistake that he has sentimental feelings toward ex-Husker players that cloud his judgement. He also influences a lot of important people and gets irascible when things aren't the way he wants them to be. The divided program that existed since Solich was fired is part of what has led to the coaching dysfunction in my opinion. Every coach not named Frost was disliked by a large segment of the fanbase for not being Nebraska-enough. That negativity permeates the hiring process and the program later on.
Frost was the gift that everyone wanted but we see now that it was the worst hire possible. Get a good coach and let them be the program leader without influence from afar.

How many coaches start a tenure at a big time program with 3 straight losing seasons and end up being a great coach? It was pretty evident before 2021 frost wasn't going to get it done. It certainly was clear before 2022

Easy, killer. NU has not won anything of note for over 20 years, and losing again THIS year is a big deal? They probably saw what we saw, that the team was close to winning almost every game last year. So they made a few changes but even Scott was too much of a moron and/or a**hole to get it done.

And we are calling Osborne names now? GMAFB. Without him NU would not have its facilities, sellouts, or membership in the Big 10. It would be staring at joining a G5 conference with Montana and Northern Colorado when the Big 12 goes under.

Last edited:
Still don’t understand how Trev gets thrown in this group? Trev wanted Frost gone the end of last year, but he can’t make that decision with that buyout on his own. He’s an AD who was trying to convince donors of substance for a significant amount of $$$. He canned Frost the minute he finally got the boosters on board.

Still don’t understand how Trev gets thrown in this group? Trev wanted Frost gone the end of last year, but he can’t make that decision with that buyout on his own. He’s an AD who was trying to convince donors of substance for a significant amount of $$$. He canned Frost the minute he finally got the boosters on board.
Yeah I have no doubt he wanted frost gone last year. A shame he couldn't pull the trigger. We wasted a year and didn't even really save money. Had he been fired in January the buyout would be the same

Reactions: Nate004

Great post. That was on my mind. They fvcked up everything. If I were Trev, I would have told the TC that I would be resigning if Frost was given the 2022 season as a final year to show progress, since it appears Trev did not want to bring him back. (With the metrics being to achieve a lousy 6-6 season with a bowl game; it is all screwed up on all levels).

Last edited:
Trev kept him.
Well I hope Trev, who was never qualified to run a big-time program in the first place, is happy.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT