ADVERTISEMENT

Ambidextrous QB Mikey Gow

His throwing in a game looks a bit weak with a lot of air and flutter. Granted he's a freshman so he has time to grow.

Last edited:

He's local so he's a must get per king kong
If we ever want to win again, we will start filling our roster with homegrown kids.

Why you disagree with this plain as day fact is something I will never understand.

(insert passive aggressive laugh emoji instead of any actual attempt at explaining himself)

If we ever want to win again, we will start filling our roster with homegrown kids.

Why you disagree with this plain as day fact is something I will never understand.

(insert passive aggressive laugh emoji instead of any actual attempt at explaining himself)

as long as our head coach is the current homegrown version it won’t matter where the kids are birthed and reared

Last edited:

It's pretty simple. Not every local kid should get a Nebraska offer.

the perfect defense to an indefensible stance.

Nebraska kids win Nebraska football games. it's the only way. always has been, always will be.

out of state players cannot care as much. it is impossible.
Did you not pay attention in the glory years?

a passive aggressive response!

I firmly believe every Nebraska kid who holds an offer from a D1 school should also hold one from Nebraska (and that offer preferably came first).

if you disagree, that's fine. you're just completely wrong.
Change that to a P5 offer and I agree. Not all D1 schools are the same level though

I was watching QBs throw last night at what I assume was something the Warren Academy runs. There was an 8th grader there that was very impressive. Have to try to get a name next week. Would be surprised if he isn't getting recruited in another year or two.

the perfect defense to an indefensible stance.

Nebraska kids win Nebraska football games. it's the only way. always has been, always will be.

out of state players cannot care as much. it is impossible.
In state players don't give a F&*# about us either. They haven't seen Nebraska be good their entire lives. Also, not everyone that lives in Nebraska is a husker fan. Get off this thought that we need local kids to thrive..

@WHCSC is right, you are wrong.

I think this debate is a red herring. Local, non-local... whatever. Offensive coaching and quarterback play are why we suck. The recruiting of local talent is flawed (Payton, Flores, etc) but we should have won more with the kids we had. Scott Frost is why we lose. Unless he vastly improves as a coach we could recruit the next Josh Allen out of Bell East and it wouldn't matter.

Reactions: tjlSker90
In state players don't give a F&*# about us either. They haven't seen Nebraska be good their entire lives. Also, not everyone that lives in Nebraska is a husker fan. Get off this thought that we need local kids to thrive..

@WHCSC is right, you are wrong.
Look no further than our two OLBs

Tannor and Nelson are very far apart when it comes to two things - physical gifts and pride

The one with lesser physical talent is a 4-year blackshirt, captain of the defense and will receive an NFL paycheck. The one with more physical talent has now been replaced and will hopefully never sniff the field ever again at Nebraska after proving to be an incapable bust

this story can be found throughout the annals of Nebraska Football history, time and again. It is the very foundation upon which we have raised 5 national titles

Reactions: BleedRed78
This kid certainly makes for a interesting recruit!! He's got 3 years to get bigger and stronger that's for sure! We'll see if he is still ambidextrous in 3 years time. I for one would like to see Nebraska offer him but in due time.

GO BIG RED!!!

This is very much an overrated blanket statement. To just start "filling our roster with homegrown kids" will not solve the problem. It is such a simplistic view of the real process required, i.e coaching being the most important which is not even mentioned.

Reactions: wkato
could pretty easily see that our best players at most levels are STILL Nebraska kids:

Teddy P is our best O-Lineman (by a wide margin)
Garrett Nelson is our defender at the LOS
Nick Heinrich is our best linebacker

I will never, ever understand the pushback on wanting more Nebraska kids on the Nebraska Football team

could pretty easily see that our best players at most levels are STILL Nebraska kids:

Teddy P is our best O-Lineman (by a wide margin)
Garrett Nelson is our defender at the LOS
Nick Heinrich is our best linebacker

I will never, ever understand the pushback on wanting more Nebraska kids on the Nebraska Football team
Teddy P being our best lineman "by a wide margin" is questionable. He played in 5 games and started twice. Im not saying he isnt our best, just the "by a wide margin" part.

Garrett Nelson has improved a lot, wont take that away from him.

Heinrich was a nationally ranked 4 star prospect. there isnt any question that we should have recruited him. everyone was.

what nebraska kids are making an impact in the secondary or offensive skill positions? Brody Belt?

Reactions: tjlSker90
Teddy P being our best lineman "by a wide margin" is questionable. He played in 5 games and started twice. Im not saying he isnt our best, just the "by a wide margin" part.

Garrett Nelson has improved a lot, wont take that away from him.

Heinrich was a nationally ranked 4 star prospect. there isnt any question that we should have recruited him. everyone was.

what nebraska kids are making an impact in the secondary or offensive skill positions? Brody Belt?
what non-Nebraska kids are making an impact at the skill positions?

our 2nd best pass catcher last year was from Auburn, NE

just like in the hay days, both front 7s and every 3-deep should be absolutely loaded with local kids who will go through hell & high water behind the scenes to make the team better. @TruHusker kids like that make coaching a lot easier.

I found this post to be extremely eye-opening (not picking on Musky at all & appreciate his comment):

Ha, 08’ UNL grad in Finance. From Chicagoland originally and still reside. I’m a fan but I’d say maybe a slightly different fan that 98% on this board which is why I like to chime in once in a while. I did not grow up in Nebraska and was pretty much too young to even recall any of their 90’s teams as my family was mostly pro-sports fans. My Nebraska fandom is as an alumni but as you can tell, from my late teens and into my mid 30’s NU has been nothing more than a slightly above average team and of course has been terrible lately, which is why I question everything this staff does because they have sucked. If I had to guess the average age of posters on this board is 55 as most seem to have lived and enjoyed the glory years. We mid-late 30’s crowd haven’t seen a thing

fans who didn't grow up in NE obviously have a different relationship with Nebraska Football than those who did. I am about the same age as Musky, and couldn't disagree more. this has to be the same for players.

out of state kids play for Nebraska. Nebraska kids ARE Nebraska. it's woven into the very fabric of our being.

Last edited:

just like in the hay days, both front 7s and every 3-deep should be absolutely loaded with local kids who will go through hell & high water behind the scenes to make the team better. @TruHusker kids like that make coaching a lot easier.
so 6% of offensive skill position players (if you go 3 deep).

so 6% of offensive skill position players (if you go 3 deep).
that is your answer?

read my post again, please. then flog yourself. then consider a more intelligent response.

last year we had 4 players reach 20 catches & 200+ rec yards. half of them were from Nebraska.

3/4 of our top tacklers were from Nebraska.

our longest run from scrimmage was by a Nebraska kid.

it's pretty obvious to me that the kids we get from in-state actually perform on Saturdays (despite lower rankings, lesser talent, etc.). why in hell would we not want as many of them as possible?

Last edited:

I get the premise, that homegrown Nebraska kids care more and work harder than recruited kids from other states. It is a general statement and based on supposition. If it were actually true, then all these kids that have left or are leaving for other programs would not be. What am I missing?

Reactions: wkato and tjlSker90
I get the premise, that homegrown Nebraska kids care more and work harder than recruited kids from other states. It is a general statement and based on supposition. If it were actually true, then all these kids that have left or are leaving for other programs would not be. What am I missing?
the ones who come to NU stay at NU and often outperform expectations. this is not a general statement based on supposition, it's a factual one based on actual historical performance.

the goal should be to get as many of these kids as possible.

not every Nebraska kid was properly raised to bleed Big Red, thus those who leave.

I found this post to be extremely eye-opening (not picking on Musky at all & appreciate his comment):

fans who didn't grow up in NE obviously have a different relationship with Nebraska Football than those who did. I am about the same age as Musky, and couldn't disagree more. this has to be the same for players.

out of state kids play for Nebraska. Nebraska kids ARE Nebraska. it's woven into the very fabric of our being.
Well I'm not sure. In the 70,80,90 MOST kids wore the red N. In the last 20 years the majority wear something other than the red N.

Just my observation

Reactions: king_kong_
the ones who come to NU stay at NU and often outperform expectations. this is not a general statement based on supposition, it's a factual one based on actual historical performance.

the goal should be to get as many of these kids as possible.

not every Nebraska kid was properly raised to bleed Big Red, thus those who leave.
I don't know about this. I think even if you go back to the good ole days, it's not like a Nebraska kid was working harder than a Grant Wistrom or Tommie Frazier, etc. Yeah, a lot of those guys had superior talent than an NU kid, but we were good because they worked ****in hard and it wasn't more or less than a homegrown kid. We just need to get back to the point where it matters to everyone.

CatchesYardsTDs
2021 Team Total
215​
3297​
14​
From Neb
73​
1084​
2​
34%​
33%​
14%​

CarriesYardsTDs
2021 Team Total
488​
2442​
31​
From Neb
16​
176​
1​
3%​
7%​
3%​

As you can see, the majority of our production was from out of state recruits. So flooding our roster with Neb kids that other P5 teams arent offering either (both Allen and Betts had multiple P5 offers) may not help as much as you think. Where the Neb kids help is with depth. There will be a gem coming out from there from time to time, but we absolutely need to recruit nationally.

CatchesYardsTDs
2021 Team Total
215​
3297​
14​
From Neb
73​
1084​
2​
34%​
33%​
14%​

CarriesYardsTDs
2021 Team Total
488​
2442​
31​
From Neb
16​
176​
1​
3%​
7%​
3%​

As you can see, the majority of our production was from out of state recruits. So flooding our roster with Neb kids that other P5 teams arent offering either (both Allen and Betts had multiple P5 offers) may not help as much as you think. Where the Neb kids help is with depth. There will be a gem coming out from there from time to time, but we absolutely need to recruit nationally.
our offense was putrid last year, and you're missing the entire point besides

the defense, with 3 of 4 leading tacklers from NE, was by far our best unit

that is my point - not that we should have a roster of exclusively NE kids, but that we should absolutely offer and aggressively pursue 100% of in-state D1 talent because they typically turn out to be the most productive players on the roster

I don't know about this. I think even if you go back to the good ole days, it's not like a Nebraska kid was working harder than a Grant Wistrom or Tommie Frazier, etc. Yeah, a lot of those guys had superior talent than an NU kid, but we were good because they worked ****in hard and it wasn't more or less than a homegrown kid. We just need to get back to the point where it matters to everyone.
yes. getting back to the point where it matters to everyone is absolutely what's going to push it over the top.

so get kids like Wistrom's mentor, Nebraskan Terry Connealy - whom he credits every chance he gets for setting the tone and culture of the DL room - who already care (A LOT) and essentially force everyone else to either care or sit.

offense packed with out of staters voted against playing in a bowl game 2 years ago. defense filled with NE kids unanimously voted to play.

offense packed with out of staters sucks royally, defense filled with NE kids fights like hell every single snap to give us a chance.

it is insanity that I have to espouse these virtues to a room full of supposed Nebraska Football fans.

Reactions: huntered
that is your answer?

read my post again, please. then flog yourself. then consider a more intelligent response.

last year we had 4 players reach 20 catches & 200+ rec yards. half of them were from Nebraska.

3/4 of our top tacklers were from Nebraska.

our longest run from scrimmage was by a Nebraska kid.

it's pretty obvious to me that the kids we get from in-state actually perform on Saturdays (despite lower rankings, lesser talent, etc.). why in hell would we not want as many of them as possible?
And all of that Nebraska talent resulted in a 3-9 record. I'm all for the Nebraska kids and a couple of them are OK players or whatever, but having so many of them contribute, shows how poor the overall talent on the team has been for the last 7 or 8 years.

Reactions: phoenix4nu
And all of that Nebraska talent resulted in a 3-9 record. I'm all for the Nebraska kids and a couple of them are OK players or whatever, but having so many of them contribute, shows how poor the overall talent on the team has been for the last 7 or 8 years.
I think those 3 would play anywhere in our league, and probably a good amount of places outside of it

irony is, despite our leader's background we don't have nearly the local numbers we used to. that fact is a contributing factor to the inexplicable L totals (IMO), in addition to myriad other follies (obviously)

Reactions: Chuck003
If Mike Huffman didn’t recruit him, do you think Scott Frost would be recruiting him?

TO didn't get over the hump and win NC's until he went out and recruited speed. Sure we pushed people around in the Big 8 and a little in the big 12 but we didn't have the speed to compete when it came to playing outside the conference when it mattered most. To get that speed and talent we were hitting places not named Nebraska. Crouch was our one speed demon from Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT