ADVERTISEMENT

80 years ago, D-Day

Definitely on my bucket list to get to Normandy.
soldiers_in_normandy_cemetery.jpg

Tribalism is the term used to describe a group of people who identify with and pursue a cause for the benefit of the group. Those badazz dudes proved that Tribalism is very often an admirable thing.
Just a bunch of kids that were thrown into hell and did their duty. How far our country has fallen in 80 years. Sad.

Tribalism is the term used to describe a group of people who identify with and pursue a cause for the benefit of the group. Those badazz dudes proved that Tribalism is very often an admirable thing.
No need to normalize the term tribalism when in most contexts it means something very... Different lol

I was listening to some historians recall some of the events leading up to the invasion and critical points along the way including Bastogne. It is remarkable and I could feel my gut turn listening to this guy talk about all the what ifs that happened.

The leaders knew there would be enormous loss of life in the invasion. I do not think I could have made the call to send that many men into battle knowing so many would lose their lives. I don't know how one lives with that even knowing they eventually were victorious.

The stories of Bastogne when they were out of ammo, food and winter cloths and the Germans came with a white flag with some Americans thinking the Germans were surrendering and it turned out the Germans were seeing if the Americans wanted to surrender. That is when the famous reply to being surrounded and asked to surrender and the commanding officer, McAuliffe replied with one word- NUTS!

That is having a pair of balls and trusting in the guy next to you.

For those touting Ukraine - not even close. I wish we had nothing to do with that mess over there. Personal opinion.

For those touting Ukraine - not even close. I wish we had nothing to do with that mess over there. Personal opinion.
It's exactly like WWII. Appeasement to a dictator didn't work back then and it won't work today. You'd think we would have learned our lesson, but time makes things fuzzy for those who never had to sacrifice.

I think there were 3 soldiers under 18 at D-day, one as young as 15, I think. Used his brothers ID to get into the military.

I was listening to some historians recall some of the events leading up to the invasion and critical points along the way including Bastogne. It is remarkable and I could feel my gut turn listening to this guy talk about all the what ifs that happened.

The leaders knew there would be enormous loss of life in the invasion. I do not think I could have made the call to send that many men into battle knowing so many would lose their lives. I don't know how one lives with that even knowing they eventually were victorious.

The stories of Bastogne when they were out of ammo, food and winter cloths and the Germans came with a white flag with some Americans thinking the Germans were surrendering and it turned out the Germans were seeing if the Americans wanted to surrender. That is when the famous reply to being surrounded and asked to surrender and the commanding officer, McAuliffe replied with one word- NUTS!

That is having a pair of balls and trusting in the guy next to you.

Fvck that fraud leading that charade.

Reactions: HBK4life
My dad wasn't at Normandy Beach but he saw plenty of other action in WWII. He didn't talk about what he experienced unless he was around other Vets, who understood what he was talking about.

My dad maybe wasn't your typical hero. He didn't enlist, he was drafted. He didn't want to go. When his time was up & the Army asked if he wanted to sign up for another's tour he replied, "You have GOT to be kidding me."

On the outside you'd probably think you never met a more well adjusted human in your life but he said there wasn't a day in his 76 years when he didn't think back to what he went through in the war. My dad was the biggest hero I've ever known.

My dad wasn't at Normandy Beach but he saw plenty of other action in WWII. He didn't talk about what he experienced unless he was around other Vets, who understood what he was talking about.

My dad maybe wasn't your typical hero. He didn't enlist, he was drafted. He didn't want to go. When his time was up & the Army asked if he wanted to sign up for another's tour he replied, "You have GOT to be kidding me."

On the outside you'd probably think you never met a more well adjusted human in your life but he said there wasn't a day in his 76 years when he didn't think back to what he went through in the war. My dad was the biggest hero I've ever known.
My dad served in the Army Air Corps in WWII, quite dangerous duty. He never talked about his service. And young boxes didn't think to ask the details. Big regret by me.

I recommend everyone take a trip to France to experience Omaha beach. It’s a very sobering experience.

DELETED - joke was too spicy for the mods

Last edited:
Reactions: leodisflowers
My dad served in the Army Air Corps in WWII, quite dangerous duty. He never talked about his service. And young boxes didn't think to ask the details. Big regret by me.
My grandfather joined as a chaplain after he watched so many of his parishioners go off to war. He said they need a minister. You wre either P C or J

He was with a heavy bombardment group and then a glider group in france after d day

Reactions: bigboxes
Same for my Grandpa.

I believe merchant marines in the Pacific. All I ever heard from him or my dad was picking up some gruesome things at Pearl Harbor and getting maggot infested chicken on Christmas Island.

Regret not hearing more.

It's exactly like WWII. Appeasement to a dictator didn't work back then and it won't work today. You'd think we would have learned our lesson, but time makes things fuzzy for those who never had to sacrifice.
🙄 might be the most retarded thing I’ve read all year. Well done sir

So you are comparing modern Russia with WWII Germany? Ok
Yes. We have lots of parallels. First off, it was wonderful winning the cold war and watching the USSR disintegrate. What we see here, post USSR, is Russia that went from a democracy to attacking it from within. Hitler created all sorts of crisis to eliminate opposition, much like Putin. Remember Neville Chamberlain? Ring a bell? Yes, he is reviled for capitulating to Nazi Germany, allowing Germany to annex the Sudetenland (a region of the Czech Republic that had a predominately German population). Putin has used the same nonsense to claim control of eastern Ukraine. So, we have two dictators. Are you following me? Both claim control over regions of another country due to ethnic reasons. Except that the west capitulated in the Sudetenland and Ukraine has not to Russia. Understand? Do I need to explain it to your further?

Yes. We have lots of parallels. First off, it was wonderful winning the cold war and watching the USSR disintegrate. What we see here, post USSR, is Russia that went from a democracy to attacking it from within. Hitler created all sorts of crisis to eliminate opposition, much like Putin. Remember Neville Chamberlain? Ring a bell? Yes, he is reviled for capitulating to Nazi Germany, allowing Germany to annex the Sudetenland (a region of the Czech Republic that had a predominately German population). Putin has used the same nonsense to claim control of eastern Ukraine. So, we have two dictators. Are you following me? Both claim control over regions of another country due to ethnic reasons. Except that the west capitulated in the Sudetenland and Ukraine has not to Russia. Understand? Do I need to explain it to your further?
Where are your posts when Russia took Crimea back in 2014 ? Why didn’t we give billions of dollars to Ukraine back then?

Just stop posting because your extreme lack of knowledge and common sense is making this board dumber.

Stick to making pizzas because this is way too complicated for you.

Where are your posts when Russia took Crimea back in 2014 ? Why didn’t we give billions of dollars to Ukraine back then?

Just stop posting because your extreme lack of knowledge and common sense is making this board dumber.

Stick to making pizzas because this is way too complicated for you.
Hey gfy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT