ADVERTISEMENT

$500 million exit fee to leave the ACC

It's why the SEC said it wasn't going to attempt to crack open the ACC. BUT the out would be IF 8 teams decided to leave all at once, then there's no penalty. That's why I say the creation of a Super Conference would require the B1G and the SEC to get together and crack the ACC by "drafting" 8 teams between them.

So the further near term conference realignment will be confined to the PAC and Big 12. Unless Newsom stops the USC/UCLA move, the PAC has to do something.

It's why the SEC said it wasn't going to attempt to crack open the ACC. BUT the out would be IF 8 teams decided to leave all at once, then there's no penalty. That's why I say the creation of a Super Conference would require the B1G and the SEC to get together and crack the ACC by "drafting" 8 teams between them.

So the further near term conference realignment will be confined to the PAC and Big 12. Unless Newsom stops the USC/UCLA move, the PAC has to do something.
The Pac 12 could go the same route as the Big 12 and poach teams from the Mountain West.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78

Newsome could only stop UCLA. USC is private and can do what it wants. In which case Big Ten is all in on Notre Dame.

couple weeks ago when nd to the big was in question, someone broke the numbers down on a nd board..and all things considered, if nd stays with the acc contract they will leave 750 million on the table in the next 10 years.

I don't care what nd does or doesn't do, and pretty much every other team in the country..nebraska is fortunate to be where they are at, and only has to focus on coaching (getting some identity/chemistry/constancy)and recruiting (including the nil/tranfer stuff)....

thats it...the money is going to be great, and we don't have to sweat bullets....just work..thats it

Last edited:
Newsome could only stop UCLA. USC is private and can do what it wants. In which case Big Ten is all in on Notre Dame.
UCLA doesn't bring as much to the table as USC, so even if Newsome stops UCLA from joining the B1G it's not the end of the world. The B1G could get Oregon and Washington if they wanted.

For this very reason, I don't see anyone leaving the ACC anytime soon.
Unless the school takes the ACC to court for reason and it would have to be a very good reason. Just read this and it makes things a little clearer:
There's a reason the Notre Dame brand avoided the doorway of college football's realignment party, so far. Instead Notre Dame maintains its status as an independent with noticeable patience. The Fighting Irish TV deal with the ACC includes a sizable exit fee, but Notre Dame would be free of paying the Grant of Rights charge for football, according to ESPN's David Hale.

Notre Dame's options include leaving for the Big Ten in 2024 and paying the ACC's exit fee — which is estimated in the range of $100 million (or equal to three times the ACC's most recent annual revenue) — or the Fighting Irish could stay put and determine what their next TV contract would fetch once the current deal with NBC expires in 2025. Notre Dame is the most attractive expansion pawn left on college football's realignment table and the Fighting Irish know it.

Paul Finebaum said Tuesday on WFNZ in Charlotte, N.C., that the ACC will cease to exist in the future without Notre Dame's inclusion. As is stands according to updated projections, the Big Ten is expected to dole out $100 million per team a few years from now in TV revenue thanks to the recent acquisition of USC and UCLA.

Reactions: moralvictories
UCLA doesn't bring as much to the table as USC, so even if Newsome stops UCLA from joining the B1G it's not the end of the world. The B1G could get Oregon and Washington if they wanted.
Stanford would be a great addition, especially on the academic side. Plus, who wouldn't want to go to Palo Alto for a game?

Reactions: headcard
I'd like to see ND and miami be brought in at the same time, I'm thinking cut that miami pipeline to the sec right off...so when a big team wins the big championship, they are not automatically doomed in a title game vs the sec...the state of ohio and michigan has fine recruits indeed...but south florida is on another level.

I think what we forget to remember is Notre Dame is not a full time member in football and I think those in charge of the legal department know how to arrange things. Notre Dame Football is one of the few programs in the country to have remained independent for its entire existence. Never has their football program been a full conference member anywhere, and only recently did the Fighting Irish’s programs in other sports make the transition away from independence and toward the ACC. It's going to be interesting what becomes of this, who has the better lawyers ND and the BIG or ACC, I wonder.

He could only stop UCLA technically but USC might not want to leave without UCLA. Who knows for sure how that would work out. But there's no question the B1G is all in on Notre Dame already (and has always been) as long as Notre Dame comes in as an equal and without demanding special privileges.

Newsome can't stop UCLA from leaving, he can only make their life more miserable by using the media and possibly enacting some sort of taxing measures through a vote from the state legislation.

I think what we forget to remember is Notre Dame is not a full time member in football and I think those in charge of the legal department know how to arrange things. Notre Dame Football is one of the few programs in the country to have remained independent for its entire existence. Never has their football program been a full conference member anywhere, and only recently did the Fighting Irish’s programs in other sports make the transition away from independence and toward the ACC. It's going to be interesting what becomes of this, who has the better lawyers ND and the BIG or ACC, I wonder.
what we hear so much from nd is they have to be free. (130+ years..blah blah blah)..
they are a regular ronnie van zant.
so if this is the crux of the matter...the big should sign them to a contract with $0.00 exit fees
thats the only perk...then if it don't work out they can go their way..
but if it does work out, thats 750 million more for them over the next 10 years..
and they don't have to worry about being shut out of a mini nfl type playoff due to being divas,
if that takes place

Newsome can't stop UCLA from leaving, he can only make their life more miserable by using the media and possibly enacting some sort of taxing measures through a vote from the state legislation.
Finally, someone with the correct answer!

You are probably right on the lawyer part , a good lawyer can fix a lot of stuff, but FYI , when ND joined the ACC, on the Covid season they did sign a contract saying they could go back to full Independent, but if they did join a conference it had the be the ACC until the 2035 or 36 contract runs out!

Reactions: king_kong_
ND football participated as a full member of the ACC in 2020 and even played in the ACC conference championship game

they’ve been playing a predominantly ACC football schedule for many, many years

good post by @Big bo fan spelling out already agreed to language another conference will have to fight against to court the Irish

it’ll never work. their die was cast years ago, and they will never join the ultra-woke B1G even if it means less money annually

many, many things are more important to ND than money

ND football participated as a full member of the ACC in 2020 and even played in the ACC conference championship game

good post by @Big bo fan spelling out already agreed to language another conference will have to fight against to court the Irish

it’ll never work. their die was cast years ago, and they will never join the ultra-woke B1G even if it means less money annually

they could just join the big 10 network, and not the big

• Love
Reactions: king_kong_
if it gets us 20 more million a year, I'm good with it...
I don't have this nd fixation the big seems to have, I'm not feeling it
10 million for the football recruits private jet flights
5 million to bringing back maybe jim hartung gold gymnastics stuff
throw 5 million into btc

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Notre Dame's football team spent the 2020 season as a member of the ACC. The move benefited the program, as Notre Dame owned a 9–0 record in conference play and earned a spot in the College Football Playoff.

Notre Dame went back to being an independent for the 2021 season. Despite finishing the regular season with an 11–1 record, Notre Dame missed out on the Playoff.

On Wednesday, ACC commissioner Jim Phillips addressed the possibility of Notre Dame's becoming a full-time member in the future.

ACC commissioner Jim Phillips on Notre Dame and the possibility of #GoIrish joining the conference in the future: "Notre Dame got a chance to see what the ACC was all about last year. ... I'll leave it at that. I think it was a mutually beneficial relationship."

Even though Notre Dame isn't an ACC member, it will face Boston College, Clemson, North Carolina and Syracuse in 2022.

Notre Dame has agreed to play five games annually up to 2036 and that is not a full time ACC schedule.

I see the loophole with Notre Dame football joining another conference in football only because they are not a full time ACC member in football. I can see them eventually becoming a full member in the BIG in football like it or not, money moves mountains.

Last edited:
The Pac 12 could go the same route as the Big 12 and poach teams from the Mountain West.
already looks like they are going to add san Diego state. Does not matter though. b10 is done with pac 12 for now but they will be adding at least 2 and up to 5 more before this over

Last edited:
already looks like they are going to add san Diego state. Does not matter though. b10 is done with pac 12 for now but they will be adding at least 2 and up to 5 more before this over
The problem is that there is NOBODY available that the PAC can add to replace the USC/UCLA eyeballs. So as a result they must fall further behind in the financial stakes. The per team revenue share has to fall far behind B1G and SEC.

Reactions: nwualum
The problem is that there is NOBODY available that the PAC can add to replace the USC/UCLA eyeballs. So as a result they must fall further behind in the financial stakes. The per team revenue share has to fall far behind B1G and SEC.
Kind of like the B12. As good as BYU, UCF, Cinci, and Houston are, they can hardly replace the eyeballs and money that Texas and Oklahoma bring.

Reactions: studed
just getting btn in those areas brings money. This is why b10 got rutgers. Not alot of rutgers fans but btn got put on all the services in that area.
4 pac 12 teams being looked at right now oregon, washington, stanford, cal.

Kind of like the B12. As good as BYU, UCF, Cinci, and Houston are, they can hardly replace the eyeballs and money that Texas and Oklahoma bring.
yep espn just offered 24 million to the pac 12 and told them they were going to put some games on espn +. pac 12 talking about going to a stream service like amazon to keep conference alive

just getting btn in those areas brings money. This is why b10 got rutgers. Not alot of rutgers fans but btn got put on all the services in that area.
4 pac 12 teams being looked at right now oregon, washington, stanford, cal.
Makes me wonder if this a power play to get ND to make a move.

Makes me wonder if this a power play to get ND to make a move.
everything is about getting ND. Nd rivals michigan, usc, stanford. they also use to play michigan state every year and you also have purdue and inadiana. ND will eventually fold. they are asking nbc for 75 million and nbc said no unless we also get some b10 games to go with it. This is not a great deal for nbc because the only get ND home games.
so this year nbc get games against cal, marshall, byu, unlv, syracuse, boston college, stanford, clemson. so 1 big game for nbc and they want 75 million LOLOLOLOL

Eff Notre Dame. They belong in the Big Ten. They have longstanding rivalries with USC, Michigan, Purdue, Michigan State and Northwestern. They have a varied history with other Big Ten schools, as well. You could add Stanford if they join the Big Ten. Notre Dame would get paid more and they'd still have most of their rivals. Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, It would be bad ass.

They just wouldn't be an independent. I agree with you that they wouldn't like to do that. But Notre Dame should not get an easy in with their cherry picking schedule. I think that further expansion is coming. The B1G and the SEC will both poach more. I for one want to end favoritism for Notre Dame. They join the B1G and you have a power conference from East to West.

I've always thought ND was the best fit in the new Big East conference. It's almost exclusively the Catholic schools. Most of them don't have football teams, so ND could stay independent in football. Men's basketball there is still very good. And culturally it was the best fit for ND. But it's probably not a "big boy" conference any more so ND likely won't consider it. And ND was part of the old Big East but I don't believe it was organized quite the way the current Big East is. It's not a big mess of schools all across the country, and it more focused on the private universities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT