ADVERTISEMENT

5 for 5!! All N!!

Didn't TO have to out recruit southern teams for a bunch of his qb's. Mickey, Turner, TF?
Sort of. I guess OU is a southern team. That is who it came down to for both Gill and Joseph. Frazier was Clemson from the deep south, then it was Notre Dame, Syracuse and Colorado. Colorado went with Koy Detmer and told Frazier his future was at DB, so he crossed them off the list. Joseph was also recruited by Colorado.

Reactions: Laner2
The portal though may actually help FCS schools. They’re getting an influx of pretty talented guys who were just a notch below being able to play in the P5.
Doesn't it work the other way as well, i.e. FCS players who prove to be stars at that level leaving for P5 schools?

Reactions: dinglefritz
The four star rating on Neyor is a bit puzzling. Two stars out of high school. Highly recruited as a transfer out of Wyoming. But has played in one game last year after tearing up a knee in August of 2022.
The tweets that show the stars for visitors are very liberal with their rankings. Feels like they are always the highest ranking a player has had regardless of what year the player recieved it or what site it came from. He was a 4 star leaving Wyoming going to Texas. That was obviously before the ACL.

currently isn’t ranked and how can you. He’s risky and probably not currently #1 on Rhule’s list. I’m sure the staff wants to see what they think of him just as much as he wants to see from Nebraska. He seems a bit risky to me but if the coaches want to take the chance, they know more than us about his recovery. Hopefully he’s good to go and just needs a change of venue since Austin hasn’t been great playing experience.

With his risk, I personally wouldn’t rank him as a 4 star now. If he was to come and not play, I wouldn’t be shocked. But at the same time, wouldn’t be shocked if he came and lead the team in receiving. Just the kind of player you get with this situation.

Trey Palmer wasn’t ranked very high in the portal. Not like he was out of HS

The tweets that show the stars for visitors are very liberal with their rankings. Feels like they are always the highest ranking a player has had regardless of what year the player recieved it or what site it came from. He was a 4 star leaving Wyoming going to Texas. That was obviously before the ACL.

currently isn’t ranked and how can you. He’s risky and probably not currently #1 on Rhule’s list. I’m sure the staff wants to see what they think of him just as much as he wants to see from Nebraska. He seems a bit risky to me but if the coaches want to take the chance, they know more than us about his recovery. Hopefully he’s good to go and just needs a change of venue since Austin hasn’t been great playing experience.

With his risk, I personally wouldn’t rank him as a 4 star now. If he was to come and not play, I wouldn’t be shocked. But at the same time, wouldn’t be shocked if he came and lead the team in receiving. Just the kind of player you get with this situation.

Trey Palmer wasn’t ranked very high in the portal. Not like he was out of HS
I feel like we are flush with cash after not taking McCord. This guy would go on NIL so no real risk assuming he's not a problem child.

Probably not FCS to P5, but G5 to P5 for some talented players is likely to happen.
My take is that those same schools then probably get overall deeper talent by getting players processed or just wanting to play from P5 programs. It might actually be good for everybody’s program? Just a thought. 🤷‍♂️

The fact that TO had Milt and Dan Young cooking in the Oline room and that Oline had to practice against a bunch of junkyard dogs on a daily basis meant that as long as he had a QB that could operate his playbook and a stable of backs to run the ball, he could not just compete but nearly always win.

Was Osborne a great recruiter? Certainly in the 90s he was but that is when Neb was on top of the college fb world. A perennial top 10 team during his tenure, I remember several years where he only signed one recruit in the top 100 (Emfinger). For a school that is is the running every year in the 80s and 90s…not sure that’s great. What he was great at was identifying talent and developing it (e.g. Mike Rucker, Neil Smith, Trev Alberts, Zack Weigert).
I followed recruiting in the 80's and 90's pretty good. I remember getting some top ten classes but more top 20 type. It doesn't come easy for us , even on top.

I followed recruiting in the 80's and 90's pretty good. I remember getting some top ten classes but more top 20 type. It doesn't come easy for us , even on top.
Yep. There were years that Neb landed top classes. Maybe 4 in TOs tenure - mostly in the 90s with one very highly ranked class in 1985. But eye for talent, development and strength and conditioning - which at one time was light years above anyone else helped define his success. But he had a great formula - always landed 3-4 difference makers sprinkled in with a lot of underated (under the radar) guys. His system worked to perfection. I remember my brother’s class (1990) - TO said on signing day that it was a difficult deal (recruiting to Neb). That class was the base that helped him win his first Natty.

Tom was not the greatest recruiter according to initial recruiting guru analysis. Although there were some exceptions they mostly ranked in the Top 20 but not at the top. The difference though was Tom's teams always ranked higher in the final polls than the initial recruiting class rankings. His teams had the greatest disparity with the final team rankings being the furthest ahead of his initial class recruiting rankings than any of the other schools finishing in the Top 20 final team rankings. AND that was Tom's magic. Either he was a better judge of talent than the recruiting gurus OR he developed players better than anyone else. Maybe both.

Tom was not the greatest recruiter according to initial recruiting guru analysis. Although there were some exceptions they mostly ranked in the Top 20 but not at the top. The difference though was Tom's teams always ranked higher in the final polls than the initial recruiting class rankings. His teams had the greatest disparity with the final team rankings being the furthest ahead of his initial class recruiting rankings than any of the other schools finishing in the Top 20 final team rankings. AND that was Tom's magic. Either he was a better judge of talent than the recruiting gurus OR he developed players better than anyone else. Maybe both.
He wasn't a salesman like his nemesis, which probably hurt some of his chances. I remember well that he did not buy into recruiting rankings and proved them wrong many times.

Sounds like the timing and rehab of the injury put him behind the eight ball in the Texas WR room entering 2023. Not many teams had a better WR room than Texas this past season. OSU only one I can think of off the top of my head.
Washington?

TO was nothing but honest with recruits. Come here and work and you'll get your chance. Definitely not a used car salesman like Jimmy Johnson

And for much of the 80s and into the 90s, his strength and conditioning program put all others to shame. Neb could make a 210 pound Neil Smith with only an offer from Grambling into a 260 pound phenom. Or see Danny Noonan go from 195 pounds as a Sr at Lincoln Northeast to a 280 pound, strong as fu@& force after 2 years in the program. S&C was an actually a huuuge aid to TO and development. Eppley and company were huge assets.

And for much of the 80s and into the 90s, his strength and conditioning program put all others to shame. Neb could make a 210 pound Neil Smith with only an offer from Grambling into a 260 pound phenom. Or see Danny Noonan go from 195 pounds as a Sr at Lincoln Northeast to a 280 pound, strong as fu@& force after 2 years in the program. S&C was an actually a huuuge aid to TO and development. Eppley and company were huge assets.
Boyd’s vitamins and protein shakes did wonders😉

Fun picture but I assume it likely is Photoshop or something similar.
No. The split legs make it look like he’s jumping higher than he really is but that’s an athletic move. Not photoshopped at all. Old farts will remember guys high jumping using the scissor technique.

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT