ADVERTISEMENT

4 star portal RB coming to town!!

Oregon is loaded. Anybody who plays at all for them is talented.
Yes, I understand all of that. But I am just suspicious quite often of the actual talent level of transfer guys since we are dealing with a pool of players who, barring a coaching change or something like that, transfer from their original school because they did not want to compete with a "loaded" room. I would rather think that they are transferring to a better and more lucrative NIL situation than the idea that they were just prima donnas who felt like they should be the starter and then got impatient when that did not happen.

Yes, I understand all of that. But I am just suspicious quite often of the actual talent level of transfer guys since we are dealing with a pool of players who, barring a coaching change or something like that, transfer from their original school because they did not want to compete with a "loaded" room. I would rather think that they are transferring to a better and more lucrative NIL situation than the idea that they were just prima donnas who felt like they should be the starter and then got impatient when that did not happen.
Going from MS to OR is a pretty stark change

It’s not all about not wanting to compete or feeling entitled

Kid probably just hates dirty hippies

Going from MS to OR is a pretty stark change

It’s not all about not wanting to compete or feeling entitled

Kid probably just hates dirty hippies
Speaking of dirty hippies, I once stayed at a hotel in Boulder that was run by hippies, the smell of the ganja was in full effect, they wouldn't refresh the towels until after the stay. The toilet paper was made from recycled materials and was that brown color similar to the bathroom paper towels in schools.

Worst 2 day stay ever.

Agree on Tre's career not working out. Tre was a warrior. He was hurt a lot and still played. Respected the hell out of him and Rahmir reminds me of him a lot.
Tre was the man he could actually hit holes with a force. If he did not go down in 2017 and Banker not being fired I often wonder if Riley even gets fired.

I don't see Rahmir hit the holes the same but maybe I'm wrong.

Reactions: Laner2
To be fair, we had some awful RB injuries and he got a redshirt freshman playing at a pretty high level. He had Lacy committed and we lost him to the SEC. Our failing to get bowl eligible made it pretty easy to negatively recruit against us. After Lacey decommitted they didn’t have a plan B they felt was an upgrade to the room so they decided to go after a portal guy.
Always gotta have a plan B and C in recruiting though. Losing a commit to Misery isn’t ever going to feel acceptable either.

Reactions: Laner2
Always gotta have a plan B and C in recruiting though. Losing a commit to Misery isn’t ever going to feel acceptable either.
Sounded like Ole Miss opened the door to him going elsewhere. He decommitted when we failed to win and our redshirt freshman RB emerged. We went after several very good guys committed to other schools but that’s a tough sell late when you’re not winning. Would have been nice to find a Devine Ozighbo type guy late.

Sounded like Ole Miss opened the door to him going elsewhere. He decommitted when we failed to win and our redshirt freshman RB emerged. We went after several very good guys committed to other schools but that’s a tough sell late when you’re not winning. Would have been nice to find a Devine Ozighbo type guy late.
Yeah. RB is a position we need to keep well stocked as we move away from QBs running the ball (hopefully) and especially in the B10 if we want a power running game as they’ve said. It’d feel better to get at least one solid HS RB each year as well as portal RBs to fill any gaps. It would be good to develop our own guys and out of all positions it’s not the hardest to find talent.

It's not hard to be suspicious after what we saw (or didn't see) with Markese Stepp.

Grrrrrrr. Why do I fall for this EVERY time?!!!!>>>>>!!!!

Maybe when you said you knew more than everyone else on the board?
I only said that because it is true, I have been attacked incessantly, and called names with no basis because your worldview feels threatened by my posts. I only post truth and I guess some posters can't handle that.

It's not hard to be suspicious after what we saw (or didn't see) with Markese Stepp.
My point exactly. Look, I am not trying to say we should not go after quality transfers at positions of need. Because once in a while, like with Tre Palmer, you strike gold. But very, very often these guys do not pan out. I just don't like the hype-train that says some dude who is fifth string on a depth chart somewhere "was a five star coming out of high school!" That does not impress me. So was Harrison Beck.

I only said that because it is true, I have been attacked incessantly, and called names with no basis because your worldview feels threatened by my posts. I only post truth and I guess some posters can't handle that.
You wanted a WR over DR. That is insane. Not one other person in America agrees with you.

You were freaking out about our scholarship numbers and we're not even to January 1st and it has basically resolved itself.

You wanted a WR over DR. That is insane. Not one other person in America agrees with you.

You were freaking out about our scholarship numbers and we're not even to January 1st and it has basically resolved itself.
At the time, we were actually known to be in the hunt for two WR's. Two starting caliber WR's and a QB trumps one QB for next year. I don't see where I was wrong?

At the time, we were actually known to be in the hunt for two WR's. Two starting caliber WR's and a QB trumps one QB for next year. I don't see where I was wrong?
Well, I don't remember you mentioning you wanted some kind of package over DR. Pretty sure you simply said you would rather have a WR.

And who would take a 1 year portal rental over a possible 3 or 4 year legacy starter who could potentially change the program? This is probably our 1 and only chance at a qb like this, unless DR kills it and changes our perception.

Well, I don't remember you mentioning you wanted some kind of package over DR. Pretty sure you simply said you would rather have a WR.

And who would take a 1 year portal rental over a possible 3 or 4 year legacy starter who could potentially change the program? This is probably our 1 and only chance at a qb like this, unless DR kills it and changes our perception.
Some of us get more defensive over our bad takes than others😉

Well, we will have a top 20 defense coming back next year and I would have liked to put the offensive pieces in place to do something with that. And like I said, the package of McCord and two receivers trumps a true freshman qb.

That's if it was a choice, which I don't think it had to be. We didn't play that right either. Could have had both, but we're a program that's so downtrodden we don't even have the confidence or desire to pull something like that off.

Also DR is not going to stay for 4 years; that's a pipedream. He's a 3 and done player. I also think people severely underestimate how hard it is going to be to keep him. There was a poster who posted the stat that 70% of 5 star QBs end up transferrring out. So yeah, only a 30% chance we'll even be able to keep him all 3 years.

Who was the big RB we had who transferred to Montana or Montana State. We couldn’t tackle him in the spring game but he never played so he left. Similar size and speed.
big back with some speed. seems like maybe culpepper. could be way off base here. just played some.

Well, we will have a top 20 defense coming back next year and I would have liked to put the offensive pieces in place to do something with that. And like I said, the package of McCord and two receivers trumps a true freshman qb.

That's if it was a choice, which I don't think it had to be. We didn't play that right either. Could have had both, but we're a program that's so downtrodden we don't even have the confidence or desire to pull something like that off.

Also DR is not going to stay for 4 years; that's a pipedream. He's a 3 and done player. I also think people severely underestimate how hard it is going to be to keep him. There was a poster who posted the stat that 70% of 5 star QBs end up transferrring out. So yeah, only a 30% chance we'll even be able to keep him all 3 years.
Who was the 2nd receiver?

How many of those 5 stars are legacies? How many of those 5 stars went to a team that hasn't had been to a bowl game in 7 years with a barren qb room?

Now combine it: how many are legacies who are likely to start as a true freshman? We aren't your normal 5 star scenario.

First thing that came to mind. Fumbles? Curious enough to check H.S. stats. Jr./ Sr. Years, 28 games played, 662 carries, 9 fumbles, 5 lost. That's 1 fumble every 3 games, 1 lost possession every 5.5 games. That's where I start and end after last season and everybody else can take it from there. Hope those numbers hold in college if he ends up here. Maybe better would be nice too.
How did our RBs do in that category in 2023? I don't have the time to work up a comparison so hopefully you know.

Don’t care if he runs a 4.8, as long as he can average 4+ yards a carry and NEVER fumble..and being able to pick up blitzes on passing downs would be great too. 😉
Gees you probably want him to cook you dinner and mow your grass too.

Reactions: GaRed

Statistically speaking, there is a 100% chance McCord is a one and done.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Speaking of dirty hippies, I once stayed at a hotel in Boulder that was run by hippies, the smell of the ganja was in full effect, they wouldn't refresh the towels until after the stay. The toilet paper was made from recycled materials and was that brown color similar to the bathroom paper towels in schools.

Worst 2 day stay ever.

Do you remember the name by chance?

We really need to up our RB game. Dowdell could be a start. I like our guys and hope they stay healthy and productive, but there’s no wow back, not 1
The top 10 teams have at least like 2 a piece it seems. We need to get there if we want to be close to elite again

I think he decommitted thinking his Alabama offer was legit and they would tree his commitment. When they wouldn’t, he was left scrambling a little.

I don’t off hand. I believe it was right off 36 coming into Boulder from Denver. Perhaps just before or after the Foothills Parkway exit. It’s been a minute. We used to travel up there every year for my girls softball tournament over July 4.

Foot of the Mountain?? Maybe??

We need some guys. Love Ramir and Gabe but there is a high possibility they won't be the same. GA, OSU, Bama wouldn't keep guys based on how they performed before injury.

See, that's just your worldview that's feeling threatened.

Worst 2 day stay ever.
source.gif

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Foot of the Mountain?? Maybe??
Could be the name now. I’m not sure. It was on the right hand side of 36 as you drove in.

Ok. It was called the Boulder Outlook Eco Hotel I believe. It is now razed and something else is being built. It was near Baseline not Foothills. Anyway. Glad I figured that out. Ha ha sorry for the waste of time all.

Last edited:
Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Vivek? Don’t you have bigger things to worry about at the moment?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT