ADVERTISEMENT

4-8. Never thought I'd see the day.

Before the season when my friends would ask what I thought Nebraska would finish this season at, I said I feared it could be a 4-8, 5-7 type of season because of the uncertainty at running back, wide receiver, quarterback and an entirely new defensive system. I thought I was being pessimistic but I just wasn't sold on these coaches. To see a 4-8 season actually happen though, disappointing is an understatement.

There is no doubt now that this was the worst performing team in my lifetime (granted only 31 years). Hopefully the administration just puts an end to this era tomorrow and the fans and players can get back to having hopes of far better days.

Would you say it was equal to Iowa’s last title? No you wouldn’t because Iowa has no titles
Not to chime in on your unfactual answer as to Iowa never winning a National Championship, but lets take a moment an see what the Sports writers say regarding the answer to what you implied as to owa never winning a national Championship? Most likely before you and i was born but this is the factual answer that you mistakenly say....

Has Iowa ever won a National Championship?

The answer is YES! And the University of Iowa Hawkeyes are four times football National Champions.

College Football National Champions were selected beginning in 1869 with Princeton and Rutgers being selected. Princeton was selected in 1870. No selection was made in 1871 (and that is the only year without a selection). The original three, and only at the time, selecting organizations were Billingsley, Parke Davis, and National Championship Foundation. In 1884 Helms (of Helms Bakery) was added to the selectors. In 1885 Houlgate was added. Football Research and Boand joined in 1919 to make a total of seven selectors. AP became a selector in 1936, UPI in 1950, and Football Writers of America in 1954; and there were others added and dropped.

Of the old selectors, Parke Davis dropped out in 1934, Houlgate in 1950, Boand in 1957, Helms in 1976, Football Research in 1992, National Championship Foundation in 2002, and Billingsley (from 1869) and Football Writers of America (from 1954) are still selecting National Champions.

Youngsters may not be familiar with the Football Writers of America but they were, and are, as the name implies, sports writers of the national newspapers of the USA.

For 1921 and 1922, Iowa was selected as National Champion by Billingsley (each year), and Parke Davis selected Iowa also in 1921.

For 1956, Football Research selected Iowa as National Champion, along with selections by others of Georgia, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.

For 1958, the Football Writers of America, ranked the Iowa Hawkeyes as #1 and National Champions. The trophy rests not far from Nile Kinnick's Heisman won in 1939, in the recently opened Iowa Athletic Museum.

Its been a while but there is always next year. RMM.

Not saying that I new this prior to posting, but as an Iowa fan I thought I would verify what you had said. I knew that Iowa had 1 National Championship in the record books, but all the added verbiage was new to me, so I will take it as learning something new..

Last edited:
Not to chime in on your unfactual answer as to Iowa never winning a National Championship, but lets take a moment an see what the Sports writers say regarding the answer to what you implied as to owa never winning a national Championship? Most likely before you and i was born but this is the factual answer that you mistakenly say....

The answer is YES! And the University of Iowa Hawkeyes are four times football National Champions.

College Football National Champions were selected beginning in 1869 with Princeton and Rutgers being selected. Princeton was selected in 1870. No selection was made in 1871 (and that is the only year without a selection). The original three, and only at the time, selecting organizations were Billingsley, Parke Davis, and National Championship Foundation. In 1884 Helms (of Helms Bakery) was added to the selectors. In 1885 Houlgate was added. Football Research and Boand joined in 1919 to make a total of seven selectors. AP became a selector in 1936, UPI in 1950, and Football Writers of America in 1954; and there were others added and dropped.

Of the old selectors, Parke Davis dropped out in 1934, Houlgate in 1950, Boand in 1957, Helms in 1976, Football Research in 1992, National Championship Foundation in 2002, and Billingsley (from 1869) and Football Writers of America (from 1954) are still selecting National Champions.

Youngsters may not be familiar with the Football Writers of America but they were, and are, as the name implies, sports writers of the national newspapers of the USA.

For 1921 and 1922, Iowa was selected as National Champion by Billingsley (each year), and Parke Davis selected Iowa also in 1921.

For 1956, Football Research selected Iowa as National Champion, along with selections by others of Georgia, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.

For 1958, the Football Writers of America, ranked the Iowa Hawkeyes as #1 and National Champions. The trophy rests not far from Nile Kinnick's Heisman won in 1939, in the recently opened Iowa Athletic Museum.

Wow!!! Very impressed. Iowa won a rotter rooters national championship and also the Shriners national championship. Great. I’m embarrassed for you

He's thinking about all the years of fishing and porch napping ahead of him. Damn, that sounds nice....

They own the title to your teams ass.
There we go with that “math stuff” MegaTronsBros. 29-16-3 in favor of NU. So not really. Sweet name BTWz Transformers bro? cool stuff buddy. Seriously the only way your name is cool is if your brother is really Calvin Johnson. And if that’s the case, why aren’t you a Georgia Tech fan? But I’m betting you are not Calvin Johnson’s brother and just think “dam, transformers... America... bad MF.... Mark Wahlberg... Optimus Prime... Bumblebee... F-ing A buddy”.

****ing retarded to say something like that. He knows what Nebraska was and is. Again, I will reiterate what I and other posters have said... he deserves NOTHING! He should retire and give back on those millions he accepted to bring NU back. Not only is NU not back, but we have been raided by wolves in sheep's clothing

Additionally, at his first press conference he said he knew the expectations and how he would be judged “to win now and win championships” differently from OSU to here. For him to state that simply means I still have two years/ millions more to be given—- now back up that Brinks truck and pay me! Now I can go home to my wife and family and move out of the hotel.....good god that hotel has made a fortune off him!!!!

Reactions: huskerfan1414

The answer is YES! And the University of Iowa Hawkeyes are four times football National Champions. In 1958, LSU and Oklahoma were better than iowa, way better.

Not saying that I new this prior to posting, but as an Iowa fan I thought I would verify what you had said. I knew that Iowa had 1 National Championship in the record books, but all the added verbiage was new to me, so I will take it as learning something new..

You sure wasted a lot of time to tell us that iowa has never won a NC! Good show.

Last edited:
Wow!!! Very impressed. Iowa won a rotter rooters national championship and also the Shriners national championship. Great. I’m embarrassed for you
No hate bro, I'm not embarrassed just thought I would verify your factual statement. Look I am not here to bash Nebraska, and you being a Nebraska fan and bringing up Nebraska NC's from the 90's to go and say that the way National Championships were measured during that ERA which was done by the Shriners Club Press or other media entities, sounds to me like you might be a little discontent due to the final score today, I am too, as I thought that is would be a better game than what the final score was. Let's for argument sake say, that this was reversed and that this was the ERA when Nebraska won its NC's you probably would give the Shriners press some more accreditation being that is the team you represent...Right? I could be wrong, but once again, I am not on here to argue that fact, in fact I actually enjoy both teams and watch both teams due to the fact, I have family in both states..

I actually appreciate your passion, but I don't feel it necessary to eradicate the history of what each school has done historically, although in very different era's . I do however believe that Frost will bring Nebraska football back to a level that has not been seen since Nebraska entered the Big Ten.

I also believe that as a sports fan, win or lose, it is never good to gloat in someone's misery, as a good person does is offer a hand. It's a football game, and in reality, there are far more things that we should care about or for, rather than gloat or bully your fellow man, due to your team not winning.....

What a fragile team led by their chief. I hear him say every week now something akin to, "well, it flipped that way, then kept going, " blah blah blah. He also said tonight our defenders need to lift weights. LOL A Nebraska coach, the program that started weight training in CFB, saying his team needs to lift weights. How did it get to this point? What f'ing planet is this?

The record is not too surprising when you begin with a baseline of 6-6 (Riley’s career average) and then factor in a new QB and defensive scheme.

That’s the logic I used when I predicted a 4-8 record this season.

I hope Frost is the pick.

Got to hand it to you on nailing the season record prediction. Your real name isn't "Diaco" is it?

It ain't just the d either. Ya'all see the stat that we are dead last in the big 10 in red zone offense. Dead last!

How many of those national title teams for Nebraska did you or any of your board friends play on?

The reason I ask is because you guys keep thumping your chest over titles when it's completely likely that none of you ever lifted a finger for the very thing you are bragging about.
Sad!

Begging for the third and receiving title welfare from the coaches doesn't count. Maybe Frost can beg for another one.

The 1997 Nebraska team, which stomped Peyton Manning's Tennessee, would have been favored to beat Michigan. Scott Frost simply voiced what everyone was thinking already. We were the better team that year and everyone outside of the Big 10 knew it.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
The 1997 Nebraska team, which stomped Peyton Manning's Tennessee, would have been favored to beat Michigan. Scott Frost simply voiced what everyone was thinking already. We were the better team that year and everyone outside of the Big 10 knew it.

Nebraska would NOT have been favored.

The coaches leapfrogged Nebraska ahead of the #1 ranked Michigan team that just won the Rose Bowl. That's unheard of. The coaches simply got caught up in the emotions of the moment and did the wrong thing. That poll has since lost all credibility.

Nebraska would NOT have been favored.

The coaches leapfrogged Nebraska ahead of the #1 ranked Michigan team that just won the Rose Bowl. That's unheard of. The coaches simply got caught up in the emotions of the moment and did the wrong thing. That poll has since lost all credibility.
No.
Michigan barely beat the number what, 8? team in the nation wazzu state.
Nebraska thumped the brains out of Tennessee and manning.
We should have won both polls easy. NUmwas a much better team that year.

Reactions: Can o' corn
No.
Michigan barely beat the number what, 8? team in the nation wazzu state.
Nebraska thumped the brains out of Tennessee and manning.
We should have won both polls easy. NUmwas a much better team that year.

The same Manning that could never beat Florida? You guys keep invoking his name. His college success in big games = not that memorable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT