ADVERTISEMENT

2025-26 recruiting class updates #2FiveCrew

Our recruiting is just ok so far. And I suspect it won’t really pick up steam until we start winning again. In fact, if we have another sub par season then half of our current commits will be out the door too. 2024 is one of the most important years in the history of modern Husker football. We must have a breakout season this year. No excuses.
It's the new coach cycle. Screw this year up and it'll kill the optimism and momentum and then it's a lot slower and harder to improve.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Imagine not being in this guy’s top 18… How shitty and irrelevant would your team have to be?

n6S7m18.jpeg
Actually, you might want to look at the group of schools again.

Reactions: huskerfan66
It's the new coach cycle. Screw this year up and it'll kill the optimism and momentum and then it's a lot slower and harder to improve.
Exactly. This is the era of the transfer portal. The luxury of giving a coach five years to rebuild are over. This isn’t Rutgers. We have every damn thing a coach needs to win and win now. No excuses. Losing season or even just a 6-6 season and the momentum for Rhule will be gone.

Last edited:
Looks like you missed his point.
I'm wondering if everyone is missing the point that the tweet is from a YouTuber, who has enough viewers that EA let him test out the game early, just trying to pick a team to play his first dynasty. Not sure why considering Nebraska in a tweet making fun of the recruiting process makes him a "douchebag" but. . .ok.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Exactly. This is the era of the transfer portal. The luxury of giving a coach five years to rebuild are over. This isn’t Rutgers. We have every damn thing a coach needs to win and win now. No excuses. Losing season of 6-6 season and the momentum for Rhule will be gone.
5 years…hell sounds like you’re giving him 2 years. After decades of mediocrity I’m more than willing to give Matt three or four years but regardless I still think we’re gonna have a good year this year.

Christian Jones interview on Omaha KETV. SIAP.
“Still pretty open”

It would make sense to want to see if things are really turning positively for NU on the field. We need a fast start this year, with this schedule.

5 years…hell sounds like you’re giving him 2 years. After decades of mediocrity I’m more than willing to give Matt three or four years but regardless I still think we’re gonna have a good year this year.
This. All these people saying with the portal, etc. coaches are only going to get two years aren't paying attention, I don't think. College FB is going the way of college BB in that it is the veteran teams that are winning it all. Michigan was loaded with multi year starters. They were definitely talented but talent only takes you so far. Experience is a big factor, too.

Rhule is building this the right way. We may not be getting a big recruits right now, but once we start winning we will. And with his history of developing talent, those under the radar guys who end up in the NFL are more likely to be here longer and give us the experience we need to win the big games.

This. All these people saying with the portal, etc. coaches are only going to get two years aren't paying attention, I don't think. College FB is going the way of college BB in that it is the veteran teams that are winning it all. Michigan was loaded with multi year starters. They were definitely talented but talent only takes you so far. Experience is a big factor, too.

Rhule is building this the right way. We may not be getting a big recruits right now, but once we start winning we will. And with his history of developing talent, those under the radar guys who end up in the NFL are more likely to be here longer and give us the experience we need to win the big games.
Michigan? I am not saying Rhule has to reach National title or elite status this year. But he can’t go 6-6 or 5-7 either. That is my point. This has to be a 7-5 season or better given our relatively friendly early schedule. You can call me impatient all you want and stomp your feet in indignation but unless his team shows marked improvement this year it is going to be hard for Rhule to keep the narrative going for recruits that this is a team on the rise.
We need to go at least 6-1 on the front end of our schedule and then find a way to win 2 or 3 down the stretch. Beating Iowa, Wisconsin and/or UCLA will be key down the stretch. Personally, I think we will end up 7-5. And I am cool with that.

Reactions: TX Huskr
Michigan? I am not saying Rhule has to reach National title or elite status this year. But he can’t go 6-6 or 5-7 either. That is my point. This has to be a 7-5 season or better given our relatively friendly early schedule. You can call me impatient all you want and stomp your feet in indignation but unless his team shows marked improvement this year it is going to be hard for Rhule to keep the narrative going for recruits that this is a team on the rise.
We need to go at least 6-1 on the front end of our schedule and then find a way to win 2 or 3 down the stretch. Beating Iowa, Wisconsin and/or UCLA will be key down the stretch. Personally, I think we will end up 7-5. And I am cool with that.
I didn't say that either. I said that the future elite teams will have talent AND experience. The future is not going to belong to teams like CU who are basically being run like the New York Yankees back when they had the highest payroll and talent but consistently under performed due to their rosters not gelling. And you don't get there replacing your coach every two years.

Exactly. This is the era of the transfer portal. The luxury of giving a coach five years to rebuild are over. This isn’t Rutgers. We have every damn thing a coach needs to win and win now. No excuses. Losing season or even just a 6-6 season and the momentum for Rhule will be gone.
Except a proven power 5 (now power 3?) QB. We might have 1 or 2 RB who can play at this level. And our WR are huge question marks. Other than that we have everything.

“Marked improvement”? Ugh he did that drastically in year one. We were one decent QB D1 from winning 8+ games. Did you see our defense play?

“stomp your feet in indignation”. Let’s not
Get dramatic here.

You play the games for a reason, can you tell I don’t care for summer fan rants?…especially with a coach doing it the right way. Frost was over his head and had distractions. I’ve seen enough on tv and Chasing 3…and from players that tells me Rhule is going to win and they’ll run through a wall for the guy.

Big long shot but you gotta swing for the fences.
He'd need to come to the BBQ get together in Lincoln for us to have a chance since he's only been to Lincoln once and had multiple visits to the other three. Dylan would have to do some really persuasive talking before and during the BBQ.

But hey, it is a surprise to see Nebraska listed in the final 4. Don't think anyone was expecting that. Clemson had seemed to be the favorite and now apparently they're out of it. Likely he really wants to be in either the SEC or B1G.

He'd need to come to the BBQ get together in Lincoln for us to have a chance since he's only been to Lincoln once and had multiple visits to the other three. Dylan would have to do some really persuasive talking before and during the BBQ.

But hey, it is a surprise to see Nebraska listed in the final 4. Don't think anyone was expecting that. Clemson had seemed to be the favorite and now apparently they're out of it. Likely he really wants to be in either the SEC or B1G.
Tennessee just landed Douglas Utu so maybe Sanders doesn’t want to share his prowess with him. We get these five star OTs to visit at an impressive rate. We NEED to close on one! I think we are at least 0-6 going back to Riley. Would be so incredible to land Sanders and next year Cantwell who we have a great shot with.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Tennessee just landed Douglas Utu so maybe Sanders doesn’t want to share his prowess with him. We get these five star OTs to visit at an impressive rate. We NEED to close on one! I think we are at least 0-6 going back to Riley. Would be so incredible to land Sanders and next year Cantwell who we have a great shot with.

Fingers crossed. But we have landed some very highly rated OT’s in recent years. Brix, Corcoran, Benhart.

Man this thread
0-6 going back to Riley?

We got Brix last year. Frost got Corcoran and Benhart.
None 5 stars, maybe Corc, I thought Prozaska was a legit 5 star. (Looked and he wasn't close). Benhart was a Top 250 or 300 but not a 5 Star. Brix was a high rated 4 but not 5. I'm not sure there is a 5 star recruit on the roster outside of DR. Ty was a high 4 star. A couple of transfers were high rated guys in high school, but I believe ther is 1 on the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard
Except a proven power 5 (now power 3?) QB. We might have 1 or 2 RB who can play at this level. And our WR are huge question marks. Other than that we have everything.
We have a strong QB room. Young but more known than last year this time. We were watching a 3 game highlight real of Jeff Simms. DR is light years better and more prepared than 99% of true freshmen in the history of college football. Barring injury he is a MAJOR upgrade. We have 3 RB that CAN play at this level and 1 that can be really good if he ever stays healthy.

Fingers crossed. But we have landed some very highly rated OT’s in recent years. Brix, Corcoran, Benhart.
I see you edited the response already. I’m aware of some top 100 guys that committed. I’m just talking about top five guys at that position we’ve gotten to visit. GBR!

Reactions: headcard
We have a strong QB room. Young but more known than last year this time. We were watching a 3 game highlight real of Jeff Simms. DR is light years better and more prepared than 99% of true freshmen in the history of college football. Barring injury he is a MAJOR upgrade. We have 3 RB that CAN play at this level and 1 that can be really good if he ever stays healthy.
I hope it ends up being strong but how you can say it's strong with DR and DK never having played a college game and then HH being the only other QB to play in the regular season is beyond me. They don't even know if the transfer will be the back up or scout team at this point. That sounds questionable, not strong.

Reactions: king_kong_
I hope it ends up being strong but how you can say it's strong with DR and DK never having played a college game and then HH being the only other QB to play in the regular season is beyond me. They don't even know if the transfer will be the back up or scout team at this point. That sounds questionable, not strong.
I would say relative to previous seasons and based on potential. Surely, we haven’t observed it on the field except a spring game, but they resembled QBs, not athletes.

So there’s that. But until we see it on the field it’s all potential.

I would say relative to previous seasons and based on potential. Surely, we haven’t observed it on the field except a spring game, but they resembled QBs, not athletes.

So there’s that. But until we see it on the field it’s all potential.
Right. And we've all gotten giddy over alleged potential before. But this is one of the least proven QB rooms in the last 25 years...

And DR is the potential. We all expect big things. But it's going to be a year of learning.

I have zero belief that DK can come in *at this time* and do enough to keep us in a game or win it.

And HH is not it if we can be honest with ourselves.

Then you have the transfer... Massive unknown. Should find out pretty fast though.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs but to me that's not strong.

Right. And we've all gotten giddy over alleged potential before. But this is one of the least proven QB rooms in the last 25 years...

And DR is the potential. We all expect big things. But it's going to be a year of learning.

I have zero belief that DK can come in *at this time* and do enough to keep us in a game or win it.

Then you have the transfer... Massive unknown. Should find out pretty fast though.

This is fair, we really are one injury away from potential disaster as well. We’ll see what the season brings.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
I did not say he should be fired after only two years. I am saying that if he does not have a winning season this year that the odds of him succeeding in "bringing us back" go down sharply. Can he still do it even if we have a losing season this year? Yes. But it will be all the more difficult.

This is fair, we really are one injury away from potential disaster as well. We’ll see what the season brings.
Personally I like what Haarberg brings to the table as a guy with some experience. He’s played in big games and IMO if we need him he’lll be better this year than last. IMO our expectations for him last year were probably out of line with his practice and game reps. I’m not saying he should be a P5 level starter but I think he might be as good as some starting QBs we’ll face this year. We at least have some options who I think could win some games if our starter goes down.

How many true frosh QBs led their P5 team to a bowl game last year?

How many true frosh QBs led their P5 team to a bowl game last year?
That’s actually a good question, which I don’t know the answer to… how many true frosh QBs out of the top 2 rated QBs started last year? Don’t most of them go somewhere and sit behind another stud QB at Bama/USC/Georgia their true frosh year?

Genuinely asking because I really don’t know…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT