ADVERTISEMENT

2025-26 recruiting class updates #2FiveCrew

I don’t know, honest question
Dante Moore with UCLA is the only real example of last year.

Previously, Caleb Williams while at Oklahoma. Shaduer Sanders is another one. Jake Fromm is another example.

And there is a bunch of examples that are really old (as if a Fromm reference isn’t long enough).

Last edited:
Dante Moore with UCLA is the only real example of last year.

Previously, Caleb Williams while at Oklahoma. Shaduer Sanders is another one. Jake Fromm is another example.

And there is a bunch of examples that are really old (as if a Fromm reference isn’t long enough).
Sanders wasn't in P5 his frosh year

Moore only played 9 games last year and went 5-4

Williams is a good example, though obviously on a much more talented team than we have. Fromm, too.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Moore only played 9 games last year and went 5-4

Williams is a good example, though obviously on a much more talented team than we have. Fromm, too.

You simply asked how many freshman QBs led their teams to a bowl game. He gave you 4 answers, all correct, and then you throw more qualifiers at him like only played in 9 games, or their team was talented. WTH

football touchdown GIF by The Undefeated

You simply asked how many freshman QBs led their teams to a bowl game. He gave you 4 answers, all correct, and then you throw more qualifiers at him like only played in 9 games, or their team was talented. WTH

football touchdown GIF by The Undefeated
sanders and moore didn't lead their teams to bowl games as true frosh

sanders played at an HBCU (not P5) and moore won the same amount of games as Haarberg (not enough for bowl eligibility, went 2-4 in Pac12 games)

so, no, those weren't correct. he went 2-4. and I appreciate his comment (hence the "like").

forgive me if I'm wrong to assume our locker room looks a little different than OU's and UGA's. I said those were good examples nonetheless.

put the pitchfork down, Tuco

Last edited:
sanders and moore didn't lead their teams to bowl games as true frosh

sanders played at an HBCU (not P5) and moore won the same amount of games as Haarberg (not enough for bowl eligibility, went 2-4 in Pac12 games)

so, no, those weren't correct. he went 2-4. and I appreciate his comment (hence the "like").

forgive me if I'm wrong to assume our locker room looks a little different than OU's and UGA's. I said those were good examples nonetheless.

put the pitchfork down, Tuco
Moore started the last 5 or 6 games of the season and they went to a bowl game.

So it was 3 of 4

Then there is Trevor Lawrence, Matt Barkley, Tommie Frazier took over after a few games and the team went to a bowl, similar to Moore. Christian Hackenberg at Penn St won 7 games, but the team was ineligible for a bowl.

Those were just off the top of my head.

Moore started the last 5 or 6 games of the season and they went to a bowl game.
Moore did not start the last 5 (missed CU and USC games, both UCLA wins that made them bowl eligible. Missed ASU. Only played a couple series in 2 others.).

In fact, his horrific play down the stretch nearly cost UCLA their bowl bid.

He only played one full game out of their last 5, a drubbing by Cal in which the Bruins scored just 7 points. He was UCLA’s leading passer in just 1 of their final 6 games.

This is a terrible example.

I figured there’d be much more recent guys than 10, 20, 30 years ago. Maybe (hopefully) there are.

Seems the recent ones mentioned had playoff rosters around their true frosh QBs. We don’t have that luxury. Far from it.

Last edited:
I don’t understand it. This is the second current recruit who moved from 3* to 4*. And all this time I heard that players only went down after committing to Nebraska.
Did you forget about Raiola going from number one QB and player in the country to something less?

Moore did not start the last 5 (missed CU and USC games, both UCLA wins that made them bowl eligible. Missed ASU. Only played a couple series in 2 others.).

In fact, his horrific play down the stretch nearly cost UCLA their bowl bid.

He only played one full game out of their last 5, a drubbing by Cal in which the Bruins scored just 7 points. He was UCLA’s leading passer in just 1 of their final 6 games.

This is a terrible example.

I figured there’d be much more recent guys than 10, 20, 30 years ago. Maybe (hopefully) there are.

Seems the recent ones mentioned had playoff rosters around their true frosh QBs. We don’t have that luxury. Far from it.
Nebraska won 5 games last year with a QB that played with similar passing ability to Mickey Joseph or Mike Grant, 49% completion pct, 7 TD and 7 INT. Raiola will be better than that and will be enough to win at least 1 more game than they did last year. That would make them bowl eligible. There is no need to have a playoff roster to be bowl eligible.

Rosen, Hackenberg, heck even Barkley were not playing on teams that had playoff level talent. So the only one mentioned, that had playoff talent was Clemson (Lawrence).

Nebraska won 5 games last year with a QB that played with similar passing ability to Mickey Joseph or Mike Grant, 49% completion pct, 7 TD and 7 INT. Raiola will be better than that and will be enough to win at least 1 more game than they did last year. That would make them bowl eligible. There is no need to have a playoff roster to be bowl eligible.

Rosen, Hackenberg, heck even Barkley were not playing on teams that had playoff level talent. So the only one mentioned, that had playoff talent was Clemson (Lawrence).
This part. Raiola could miss expectations and not look like a sure fire 1st rounder. As long as he is a capable D1 QB this team wins 8. Anything better and we go up from there. If he's not even a capable D1 QB then we are about the same team as last year and can hope for 6-7 with none guaranteed.

Reactions: BrighteRed24

no further comment on Moore? yea, I wouldn't, either.

Williams was another recent QB that was mentioned who joined a team with playoff talent.

those others are from 10+ years ago. not nearly the point you think you're making.

you're having a tough time keeping up today, Tuco.

This part. Raiola could miss expectations and not look like a sure fire 1st rounder. As long as he is a capable D1 QB this team wins 8. Anything better and we go up from there. If he's not even a capable D1 QB then we are about the same team as last year and can hope for 6-7 with none guaranteed.
can we keep him upright? do we have anyone else to take the pressure off?

QB is far from the only position we have question marks as it pertains to capable D1 talent.

Reactions: huntered
It’s hard to find examples, not necessarily because it can’t happen. It’s more because it’s a super unique position to be in. How teams are in Nebraska position?

Rarely does a team land a 5 star QB without high level talent and without someone that is in front of them. Nebraska is in a weird position of landing a top QB and not having a good QB on the roster to compete with. And landing him without having a high end roster.

So I’m not sure it is hard to find examples because the QBs don’t do it or this situation is crazy rare.

QB is far from the only position we have question marks as it pertains to capable D1 talent.
No question that Donovan's line is going to make or break the O's progress. Pressure is on, but I think we're gonna be pleased this season with that line.

I disagree. We have a D1 Oline, D1 recievers, D1 TE. Now a D1 RB might be questionable but plenty have shown flashes.

According to Phil Steele, who is very good, here is a composite of the top players and position groups for this year's NU team:
Of rated pro prospects at WR # 75 of 75 is Strong; At Center Scott is # 20 of 40 rated draft prospects slipping from #11 last year; Benhart is 55 of 80 OT's; Jamari is 41 of 75; Ty is # 31 and Nash is # 36 at DL; Javin Wright is 64 of 65 rated; and Tommi Hill is # 15 of 60 rated.

Last year the DL was not listed at all, this year NU is projected to have the # 5 best DL in the country; LB's are 19 of 69 rated; DB's are 30 of 70; OL is 40 of 68 teams; RB's are 50 of 68; Receivers are 45 of 68 rated; QB's are 56 of 68; Special teams are 57 of 70.

(Since there are 135 FBS teams the only group that would rank in the bottom half would be ST's. Defensively they are rated 5th/19th/30th by position group,
and offensively 40th/50th/45th/56th).

NU is projected to improve from 18 ppg to 27 ppg, and Steele lists NU as the likely 2nd most improved team in the country. He believes NU will improve on the -17 turnover statistic from '23.

For what its worth, but Steele last year was correct on 15 of 17 teams that had a losing season the year prior that would make a bowl game last year. One of the teams he missed on was NU.

Last edited:
According to Phil Steele, who is very good, here is a composite of the top players and position groups for this year's NU team:
Of rated pro prospects at WR # 75 of 75 is Strong; At Center Scott is # 20 of 40 rated draft prospects slipping from #11 last year; Benhart is 55 of 80 OT's; Jamari is 41 of 75; Ty is # 31 and Nash is # 36 at DL; Javin Wright is 64 of 65 rated; and Tommi Hill is # 15 of 60 rated.

Last year the DL was not listed at all, this year NU is projected to have the # 5 best DL in the country; LB's are 19 of 69 rated; DB's are 30 of 70; OL is 40 of 68 teams; RB's are 50 of 68; Receivers are 45 of 68 rated; QB's are 56 of 68; Special teams are 57 of 70.

(Since there are 135 FBS teams the only group that would rank in the bottom half would be ST's. Defensively they are rated 5th/19th/30th by position group,
and offensively 40th/50th/45th/56th).

NU is projected to improve from 18 ppg to 27 ppg, and Steele lists NU as the likely 2nd most improved team in the country. He believes NU will improve on the -17 turnover statistic from '23.

For what its worth, but Steele last year was correct on 15 of 17 teams that had a losing season the year prior that would make a bowl game last year. One of the teams he missed on was NU.
Good data, thanks

Time to live up to it on the field

Good data, thanks

Time to live up to it on the field
This is all Steele's data, and he lives and breaths college football. Historically, he's been real good.

I'm doing my own thing in anticipation of the football season, i.e. playing parlays again. FYI, Steele rates the top ten teams that he feels will be the most improved teams in the country, so they "may" bear watching early on to see if a guy can capitalize on an improving team that Vegas still has under the radar. Teams like East Carolina, Marshall, UCF, FL, Auburn, Cin, So. Carolina, Colo St, and TCU.
Again, based on presumed national expectations versus him projecting they will overperform.

He expects, and not surprisingly, teams like Michigan, Washington, UCLA, Penn St, Oregon, all to be downgraded this year. (Last year he had 5 teams that he expected to improve and they all did, he also said Illinois would be down and they were).

I've been researching a developing a spreadsheet of certain team patterns over the last 2 years and I think, (at least "on paper") I've identified multiple teams that I will likely play in certain scenarios. Bearing in mind that past performance means nothing next year, but many of the teams I found are low key and have tended to beat the spread by anywhere from +11 points up to +23 points in certain environments, i.e. following a loss, road underdog, as home favorite, etc.

It may or may not pay dividends, but I intend to find out with real money, lol. Unbeknowst to me, the very best team against the spread last year was Arizona, even though they were a 10-3 team, they were outstanding in 3 separate categories...not that it means anything this year of course.

At any rate, I enjoy doing this type of exercise/research.

Right. And we've all gotten giddy over alleged potential before. But this is one of the least proven QB rooms in the last 25 years...

And DR is the potential. We all expect big things. But it's going to be a year of learning.

I have zero belief that DK can come in *at this time* and do enough to keep us in a game or win it.

And HH is not it if we can be honest with ourselves.

Then you have the transfer... Massive unknown. Should find out pretty fast though.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs but to me that's not strong.

I agree completely. It's all based on potential. In fact this may sound blasphemous but I'd trust the transfer D3 QB over DK and HH if we needed to win a game without Raiola. That's without even seeing him play. So yeah I'm definitely not over the top happy and giddy about what we have minus Dylan in that room.

Holla

This is all Steele's data, and he lives and breaths college football. Historically, he's been real good.

I'm doing my own thing in anticipation of the football season, i.e. playing parlays again. FYI, Steele rates the top ten teams that he feels will be the most improved teams in the country, so they "may" bear watching early on to see if a guy can capitalize on an improving team that Vegas still has under the radar. Teams like East Carolina, Marshall, UCF, FL, Auburn, Cin, So. Carolina, Colo St, and TCU.
Again, based on presumed national expectations versus him projecting they will overperform.

He expects, and not surprisingly, teams like Michigan, Washington, UCLA, Penn St, Oregon, all to be downgraded this year. (Last year he had 5 teams that he expected to improve and they all did, he also said Illinois would be down and they were).

I've been researching a developing a spreadsheet of certain team patterns over the last 2 years and I think, (at least "on paper") I've identified multiple teams that I will likely play in certain scenarios. Bearing in mind that past performance means nothing next year, but many of the teams I found are low key and have tended to beat the spread by anywhere from +11 points up to +23 points in certain environments, i.e. following a loss, road underdog, as home favorite, etc.

It may or may not pay dividends, but I intend to find out with real money, lol. Unbeknowst to me, the very best team against the spread last year was Arizona, even though they were a 10-3 team, they were outstanding in 3 separate categories...not that it means anything this year of course.

At any rate, I enjoy doing this type of exercise/research.
CSU is right in my backyard

Returning a stud WR and a fun true soph QB

Played some wild games last year

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
I had a lot of success last year with KU, KSU, Ark, So Miss, and Miami (OH). Even shit teams like PITT, GA Southern kept finding ways to not cover. LOL
I already took UGA -13.5 vs clemson week 1

That’s about as far as I’ve gotten

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT