ADVERTISEMENT

1997 Nebraska-Michigan

Let me clarify. They may have scored a bit against Nebraska had they played, but Nebraska would have put up 50 on their pathetic defense.
The NU team that put up 50 in exactly 1 out of 13 games that season? The one that put up 13 against a 6-6 OU team? The one that put up 28 against a winless Iowa State team after having a commanding 14-12 lead in the 4th quarter?
By the way, they did not smoke everyone they played that year. I personally watched every second of the Indiana game when a putrid Hoosier squad gave them everything they could handle.
With 6:09 left in the game, the score was 35-14. IU threw a 40 yd TD on the last play of the game and converted the 2-point play to make it 35-29. Did you really watch every second of the game?

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
They had a good offense. But 47 points a game with 520 yards a game average probably doesn't put them top 10 offenses all time.
The average halftime PSU score was 28-9. This includes their terrible 1st half vs. Illinois. This was before significant rule changes favoring offenses, and PSU called off the dogs and didn't feel the need to try to embarrass opponents.
And that offense wouldn't have matched up against our defense. I think Colorado beats them that season.
One can think whatever one chooses, but keep in mind that 3-7-1 Oklahoma State also shut down CU's offense fairly well (17 points). That PSU was as well balanced of one as any for that time. Wyoming put up 32 on NU, so it was possible for teams to have some success.

But their defense was absolutely attrocious and one of the worst in Penn St history.
You think 21 ppg is atrocious? The NU team lost the title game to Miami in '01 gave up 17.4 ppg, basically a FG difference. I would surely not describe that NU defense in a negative way. Unfortunately, have to say I have not had the pleasure of seeing quite a few worse PSU defenses just in my lifetime.
Had Oregon had a halfway decent place kicker they woulda won, Don't let the final score of that game fool you go back and watch the game.
A team that scored last in the game to only lose 38-20 would have won because of their place kicker? Yeah, go back and watch that game and maybe facts will change a biased opinion.

You think 21 ppg is atrocious? The NU team lost the title game to Miami in '01 gave up 17.4 ppg, basically a FG difference. I would surely not describe that NU defense in a negative way. Unfortunately, have to say I have not had the pleasure of seeing quite a few worse PSU defenses just in my lifetime.

A team that scored last in the game to only lose 38-20 would have won because of their place kicker? Yeah, go back and watch that game and maybe facts will change a biased opinion.
Stick to luring young boys into the shower, and leave the football talk to us.

The average halftime PSU score was 28-9. This includes their terrible 1st half vs. Illinois. This was before significant rule changes favoring offenses, and PSU called off the dogs and didn't feel the need to try to embarrass opponents.

One can think whatever one chooses, but keep in mind that 3-7-1 Oklahoma State also shut down CU's offense fairly well (17 points). That PSU was as well balanced of one as any for that time. Wyoming put up 32 on NU, so it was possible for teams to have some success.
You do realize they would have been playing at seasons end.. Nebraska was different team from the time they played Wyoming game to the Orange Bowl game….Take into consideration that Tommie Frazier was out with a blood clot..

You do realize they would have been playing at seasons end.. Nebraska was different team from the time they played Wyoming game to the Orange Bowl game….Take into consideration that Tommie Frazier was out with a blood clot..
Tommie Frazier of 1994 is not Tommy Frazier of 1995.

The “different team” part is an opinion that cannot be proven false (or true). No problem if that is what you believe.

That said, feel free to list anything I wrote that is factually incorrect.

Again, you’re basing this off each team’s bowl game which is a single game. It’s nonsensical. I don’t care if Leaf was an NFL bust what does that matter? He was an elite college QB. Thinking Nebraska would have easily beaten that Michigan team is blind homerism. We will never know who was the better team.
Why Are You Here Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

The “different team” part is an opinion that cannot be proven false (or true). No problem if that is what you believe.

It’s also opinion that Colorado couldn’t beat Penn St.
Would have loved to see Penn St play Colorado in the Fiesta Bowl..

They didn't need Frazier to beat Penn St and that sorry defense they had. BB would have taken care of them....🤣

I think the Huskers would have smoked both Penn St and Michigan...
I would've liked to see Colorado and Penn St play in '94, both were loaded with NFL talent that year.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Michigan failed to score 40 points the entire season. Nebraska scored 40+ 8 times that season, yet Michigan is going to shut down and stop the #1 rush offense and #1 scoring offense and somehow score points on Nebraska's top 5 defense?? Michigan defense was great, but it was best at stopping the pass, #1 in fact, too bad they weren't going to go up against a passing team if they faced Nebraska.
Let's also not forget the fact, Michigan needed the ref's to literally run off the field while Washington State was driving, to preserve the win for Michigan.
I also don't care about common opponents because the transitive property doesn't apply in football. Colorado literally basing its entire season around Nebraska, makes a little bit of a difference compared to Colorado facing Michigan. Just like Michigan playing against Ohio State mattered more to them than their closest game of the year, Iowa.

Nebraska:
#1 offense
#1 rush offense
#1 scoring offense
#5 defense
#3 rush defense
#12 scoring defense
#28 pass defense
Nebraska also had better net punting, better punt return and better kick return stats than Michigan.

Michigan:
44th offense
28th rush offense
44th scoring offense
63rd passing offense
(that mediocre offense would have literally been lucking to score 10 points, if that)
#1 defense
#1 scoring defense
#1 pass defense
#7 rush defense
Defense is what Michigan survived on, but they also only faced 1 top 20 offense, while Nebraska faced 4 top 20 offenses.

I'd argue Kansas State was a better team than Michigan in 97' the problem for them was that they had to go up against Nebraska and their only loss on the season was Nebraska, 56-26. K-state had a a top 5 defense and top 15 offense, but that didn't help them one bit against Nebraska, just like with weeks to prepare and for Osborne's last game, Michigan would have gotten pounded even worse than a Peyton Manning led 3rd ranked Tennessee.

Michigan failed to score 40 points the entire season. Nebraska scored 40+ 8 times that season, yet Michigan is going to shut down and stop the #1 rush offense and #1 scoring offense and somehow score points on Nebraska's top 5 defense?? Michigan defense was great, but it was best at stopping the pass, #1 in fact, too bad they weren't going to go up against a passing team if they faced Nebraska.
Let's also not forget the fact, Michigan needed the ref's to literally run off the field while Washington State was driving, to preserve the win for Michigan.
I also don't care about common opponents because the transitive property doesn't apply in football. Colorado literally basing its entire season around Nebraska, makes a little bit of a difference compared to Colorado facing Michigan. Just like Michigan playing against Ohio State mattered more to them than their closest game of the year, Iowa.

Nebraska:
#1 offense
#1 rush offense
#1 scoring offense
#5 defense
#3 rush defense
#12 scoring defense
#28 pass defense
Nebraska also had better net punting, better punt return and better kick return stats than Michigan.

Michigan:
44th offense
28th rush offense
44th scoring offense
63rd passing offense
(that mediocre offense would have literally been lucking to score 10 points, if that)
#1 defense
#1 scoring defense
#1 pass defense
#7 rush defense
Defense is what Michigan survived on, but they also only faced 1 top 20 offense, while Nebraska faced 4 top 20 offenses.

I'd argue Kansas State was a better team than Michigan in 97' the problem for them was that they had to go up against Nebraska and their only loss on the season was Nebraska, 56-26. K-state had a a top 5 defense and top 15 offense, but that didn't help them one bit against Nebraska, just like with weeks to prepare and for Osborne's last game, Michigan would have gotten pounded even worse than a Peyton Manning led 3rd ranked Tennessee.

Tennessee probably smokes Michigan.....

Reactions: vs540husker
Never forget Nebraska lost to Missouri that year. The illegal kick in the end zone
Tell you what in the same game Missouri intercepted one of Frost passes by the ball being kicker in the air by a Mizzou defender and intercepted..

You can’t have it both ways.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Tell you what in the same game Missouri intercepted one of Frost passes by the ball being kicker in the air by a Mizzou defender and intercepted..

You can’t have it both ways.
Just saying. The refs blew a call. Technically Nebraska lost to Missouri.

Michigan only undefeated team in 1997.

Nebraska had more points than Missouri so technically Nebraska won the game.

Besides, that call (kicking the ball) is only supposed to be called when it’s clearly obvious what the player’s intent was. Anyone who watches the play and says it was obvious that he was trying to kick the ball is a liar. Technically, the officials were right to not make that call. Nebraska had more points than Missouri so technically Nebraska won the game.

The receiver couldn’t make a proper play because he was being thrown into the ground by the defender before the ball even got there. Technically, the officials should have called defensive pass interference on Missouri. Nebraska would have declined the penalty and accepted the touchdown instead. Nebraska had more points than Missouri so technically Nebraska won the game.

Just saying. The refs blew a call. Technically Nebraska lost to Missouri.

Michigan only undefeated team in 1997.

Nebraska:
#1 offense
#1 rush offense
#1 scoring offense
#5 defense
#3 rush defense
#12 scoring defense
#28 pass defense

Michigan:
44th offense
28th rush offense
44th scoring offense
63rd passing offense
#1 defense
#1 scoring defense
#1 pass defense
#7 rush defense

Hey dip $&ip we already have a thread dork..

Charlie was this what you were looking for when you started this thread to invite the blinded to argue with in your the forum.😩

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT