ADVERTISEMENT

1997 Nebraska-Michigan

Charlie Marlow

Athletic Director
Sep 23, 2005
In Your Head
Both teams were awarded a national championship after finishing the season undefeated. But who would have won if these two teams had played each other in a championship game?

WSU is still waiting to finish their game with the X-Men

In Rose Bowl, Time Was on Michigan's Side​

By Nicholas J. Cotsonika
Special to The Washington Post
Saturday, January 3, 1998; Page F5
PASADENA, Calif., Jan. 2—Michigan Coach Lloyd Carr couldn't wait to run onto the field. Washington State quarterback Ryan Leaf had just taken a snap with two seconds remaining in Thursday's Rose Bowl and spiked the ball, hoping to preserve one tick of the clock for a final play from Michigan's 26-yard line. But the officials ruled the ball did not hit the ground in time, giving the No. 1-ranked Wolverines a 21-16 victory and probably their first national championship since 1948.

"Even when we ran onto the field, I wasn't sure what was going to happen," Carr said today. "I was hoping that if there was any doubt in [the officials'] minds, they would forget about it because there would be too many people to kick off the field."

I think we would have smoked them. The better question is this:
Who would have won between Nebraska and Penn State in 1994 had they played? I think that would have been a much, much closer game.
I’d agree with that..Penn St had one of the best offenses in their school history, but their defense was nothing like the Canes had with Sapp and Lewis..

I think we would have smoked them. The better question is this:
Who would have won between Nebraska and Penn State in 1994 had they played? I think that would have been a much, much closer game.

Don't think that would have been that close either. Their defense was putrid and Nebraska would have literally steamrolled them. They may have scored a bit, but no way they could have kept up.

Don't think that would have been that close either. Their defense was putrid and Nebraska would have literally steamrolled them. They may have scored a bit, but no way they could have kept up.
They scored a bit? They had one of the most prolific offenses of all time that year. I think that game would have been an offensive shoot out. I think we would have won because I think we would have been the more physical team and had the better defense. But damn that was a good PSU offense that year. And their defense was not "putrid" that year either. They, like us, pretty much smoked everyone they played that year. And keep in mind, I live in PSU country and hate, hate, hate PSU and its fans.

both teams were not "awarded" National Championships

one team earned it on the field
the other had it gifted by the know nothing ass sniffing largely B1G alum media
I think vegas put out a -7 for NU if that game had been played.

It would not have been all that close. There was this weird idea that Woodson was some amazing force but all you have to do is not punt to him, not kick to him and not pass to his guy and he is a non-factor.

Wolf fans act like that guy was getting 30 touches a game and 4 TD's a game.

They scored a bit? They had one of the most prolific offenses of all time that year. I think that game would have been an offensive shoot out. I think we would have won because I think we would have been the more physical team and had the better defense. But damn that was a good PSU offense that year. And their defense was not "putrid" that year either. They, like us, pretty much smoked everyone they played that year. And keep in mind, I live in PSU country and hate, hate, hate PSU and its fans.
The offense for college was crazy good that year especially the skilled positions. The defense was average in part because how often did the starters have to play 4 quarters?

For the huskers that ‘94 team was tested emotionally and they were more physically capable to shut down a higher scoring team. Grind the offense style would have worn down the PSU defense and that offense with fewer possessions, they would be more likely to take risks against a defense that created turnovers. Still a good game but the Husker defense wild slow them enough for the win. Styles make matchups and this would favor the ‘94 Huskers

I think vegas put out a -7 for NU if that game had been played.

It would not have been all that close. There was this weird idea that Woodson was some amazing force but all you have to do is not punt to him, not kick to him and not pass to his guy and he is a non-factor.

Wolf fans act like that guy was getting 30 touches a game and 4 TD's a game.
This 100%. Peyton put 1 td up against us IIRC. It's debatable on if Michigan would have even scored a td. The best player on Michigan was a cb/return guy. Total non-factor. You know what would have been a factor? Ahman busting off touchdown runs.

This 100%. Peyton put 1 td up against us IIRC. It's debatable on if Michigan would have even scored a td. The best player on Michigan was a cb/return guy. Total non-factor. You know what would have been a factor? Ahman busting off touchdown runs.
I love Woodson, but he would have spent much of the game on his ass.

Let me clarify. They may have scored a bit against Nebraska had they played, but Nebraska would have put up 50 on their pathetic defense. They would have never been able to keep up.

By the way, they did not smoke everyone they played that year. I personally watched every second of the Indiana game when a putrid Hoosier squad gave them everything they could handle.

Both teams were awarded a national championship after finishing the season undefeated. But who would have won if these two teams had played each other in a championship game?
Every media outlet and yes every outlet had us winning that game. We woulda won that game by 20 easy and pounded them into dust. Back then the Big 10 was the utter joke of the college football and back then they were known as the weak 10. 2 years before a Weak 10 team stole Tommie's Heisman, and that team was a 2 loss Ohio St team which had more to do with weak 10 BS politics which allowed George to walk away with it and he wasn't even in the same league as Frazier. 3 straight NC games and voted MVP and TF is the only player in CFB history to ever acheive this feat and all 3 were in NC games which is also the 1st and only time this happened in CFB history.

Last edited:
PSU’s offense in 94 was very good. So was Colorado’s…including Salam who won the Heisman right? I think that game was 24-7. I think NU beats PSU by 7-10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
PSU’s offense in 94 was very good. So was Colorado’s…including Salam who won the Heisman right? I think that fame was 24-7. I think NU beats PSU by 7-10.
Nebraska hated Miami. They took a player out for the game on first play.

Were Nebraska to have played Penn State with same emotion, it would have been 47-12.

Sandusky would have been cornholioed.

The offense for college was crazy good that year especially the skilled positions. The defense was average in part because how often did the starters have to play 4 quarters?

For the huskers that ‘94 team was tested emotionally and they were more physically capable to shut down a higher scoring team. Grind the offense style would have worn down the PSU defense and that offense with fewer possessions, they would be more likely to take risks against a defense that created turnovers. Still a good game but the Husker defense wild slow them enough for the win. Styles make matchups and this would favor the ‘94 Huskers
Yes, I think this is exactly how it would have played out. Close for a while but in the end we dominate the late third and fourth quarters and win by 10 or more.

PSU’s offense in 94 was very good. So was Colorado’s…including Salam who won the Heisman right? I think that fame was 24-7. I think NU beats PSU by 7-10.
But their defense was absolutely attrocious and one of the worst in Penn St history. Had Oregon had a halfway decent place kicker they woulda won, Don't let the final score of that game fool you go back and watch the game.

Last edited:
They had a good offense. But 47 points a game with 520 yards a game average probably doesn't put them top 10 offenses all time. And that offense wouldn't have matched up against our defense. I think Colorado beats them that season.

Reactions: HuskerDana
WSU is still waiting to finish their game with the X-Men

In Rose Bowl, Time Was on Michigan's Side​

By Nicholas J. Cotsonika
Special to The Washington Post
Saturday, January 3, 1998; Page F5
PASADENA, Calif., Jan. 2—Michigan Coach Lloyd Carr couldn't wait to run onto the field. Washington State quarterback Ryan Leaf had just taken a snap with two seconds remaining in Thursday's Rose Bowl and spiked the ball, hoping to preserve one tick of the clock for a final play from Michigan's 26-yard line. But the officials ruled the ball did not hit the ground in time, giving the No. 1-ranked Wolverines a 21-16 victory and probably their first national championship since 1948.

"Even when we ran onto the field, I wasn't sure what was going to happen," Carr said today. "I was hoping that if there was any doubt in [the officials'] minds, they would forget about it because there would be too many people to kick off the field."
I am still convinced Leaf was bought by the mob. His interception to Woodson in the end zone was a direct pass to him. Leaf had his helmet off for interviews before refs made the call the clock was out.

I watched Michigan a lot that year and their D was nothing short of amazing. Husker fans for some reason compare each teams bowl games for the reason why the Huskers would easily win which is very misguided. Michigan had a great team and deserved the national title every bit as much as Nebraska.

I watched Michigan a lot that year and their D was nothing short of amazing. Husker fans for some reason compare each teams bowl games for the reason why the Huskers would easily win which is very misguided. Michigan had a great team and deserved the national title every bit as much as Nebraska.
Every D looks amazing against terrible plodding big ten offenses bereft of playmakers

Same story since the leather helmet days

You big ten dick blowers said the same about michigans D last year

Then TCU hung half a hundy on them in the biggest game of harbaughs life

NU beat a team that had Peyton Manning and Jamal Lewis. Look them up. They did pretty good in the NFL. NU straight dominated them. 2 years later they won a title. They were legit good.

Michigan held on to beat Ryan Leaf. Leaf was a bust in the NFL and WSU was terrible the next year.

Look at both rosters. NU was stacked with NFL talent. Michigan not so much.

NU beat a team that had Peyton Manning and Jamal Lewis. Look them up. They did pretty good in the NFL. NU straight dominated them. 2 years later they won a title. They were legit good.

Michigan held on to beat Ryan Leaf. Leaf was a bust in the NFL and WSU was terrible the next year.

Look at both rosters. NU was stacked with NFL talent. Michigan not so much.
Again, you’re basing this off each team’s bowl game which is a single game. It’s nonsensical. I don’t care if Leaf was an NFL bust what does that matter? He was an elite college QB. Thinking Nebraska would have easily beaten that Michigan team is blind homerism. We will never know who was the better team.

Again, you’re basing this off each team’s bowl game which is a single game. It’s nonsensical. I don’t care if Leaf was an NFL bust what does that matter? He was an elite college QB. Thinking Nebraska would have easily beaten that Michigan team is blind homerism. We will never know who was the better team.
Terrible matchup for Michigan. Slow qb with our dline and db's. A defense that excelled at pass defense against the best rushing offense in the country.

I think you are the homer. Take a look at our roster. Packers all-time leading rusher at rb. Lombardi winner. Outland winner. We were stacked across the board and experienced.

Okay okay
Maybe a better question would be:
Who wins between 94 Penn State and 97 Michigan?
How about 94 Huskers vs 97 Huskers?
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I would've liked to see the 99 huskers against 94 or 97. They were 3 fumbles away from a 21 point swing at Texas, then dominated them in the conference title. Everyone was on the Michael Vick train, and FSU was using Bolden as a 3rd string QB. 99 defense is so underrated because they didn't win the title.

We already know the answer to this question. It wouldn't have been close. NU rolls.

Cheryl Hines GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT