ADVERTISEMENT

$13 Million QB recruit sues

i could research your question, i suppose. but there are all sorts of paper trails and third parties who can testify to the validity of an oral agreement claim beyond a written contract. chevron in-house lawyers often said to me that my word was binding. see the texico case above as proof.
That’s what it comes down to . If no paper trail ( email) exists it comes down to was there a 3rd party on this kids side that actually heard the agreement.

That’s what it comes down to . If no paper trail ( email) exists it comes down to was there a 3rd party on this kids side that actually heard the agreement.
... or a text. you can bet this youngster has his ducks in order. he has a fabulous legal team schooled in athletic law.

Reactions: Big bo fan
no, that's silly. if both admitted the oral agreement, it wouldn't be in the courts. and that's why we have a discovery process in law, isn't it - like an email trail to prove the verbal agreement actually existed. it's cute to say an oral agreement is worth the paper it's (not) written on but that only shows a lack of understanding case law.

One of the most famous cases where a verbal contract was enforced in court is Pennzoil Co v. Texaco. In 1984, Pennzoil bought Getty Oil through an oral agreement, but later sold it to Texaco for a higher price. Pennzoil filed a lawsuit against Texaco, claiming they broke the oral agreement, and won. Pennzoil was awarded $9.1 billion in damages, plus interest and penalties, which was the largest award in US history at the time.
Again, these verbal contracts had consideration on both sides. The problem with this NIL stuff is that the player gives no consideration (i.e. he can leave at any time and go somewhere else). As such, it's not a contract, verbal or written. The player undermined his case against Florida by bagging Miami.

One of the big problems with current NIL is that it's all one sided for the players. Did Decoldest Crawford give his NIL money back after only being here for a few months? Of course not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT