ADVERTISEMENT

12-Team Playoff Schedule Released

This is where I thought the schools could have used their leverage in all of this. I get that the want to continue the bowl relationships but think of the amount of money that a playoff game would bring in for a host school to that community.
Four teams will still have that opportunity in the first round of games.

Reactions: scarletred
Not true at all. Cincinnati at Toledo for a playoff spot doesn’t exactly carry the same weight as Ohio state at Michigan, winner to the bcs title game. Or usc at Notre dame, bush push game, lose or you’re out.

The beauty of the old system was the importance of every game. Upsets were possible and fascinating because it’s so hard to show up every week and one loss could ruin a great team’s season. I realize not everyone likes it that way. Fine. The old system didn’t always give you the two best teams but rather (likely but not always) the two most deserving teams. I loved the chaos. Most of us know who the two or three best teams are by October. I liked knowing the best team may not win it all because they could slip on on a Thursday night in covalis. It was fun for a different reason than any other sport. But it’s not what we have any more. The product is still good, just not what I prefer.
I never understood the most deserving team comment. The point of any championship is to determine the best team. The best team can have an off Saturday in October but still be better than everyone else. BYU wasn’t the best team in 1984 but were awarded the championship because voters determined them to be most deserving simply because the didn’t lose a game. Washington was arguably a better team. They only lost to top10 USC in LA. And beat Michigan at Michigan by more than BYU beat them in San Diego in the bowl game.

I love the rationalization that Howard was so scared of competing with Johnson that he decided to go to Ohio St.
It’s obvious he was scared by going to the middling Ohio State program.

On a sidenote the top 10 Heisman odds are all qbs and Avery Johnson isn’t one of them. Get your money him now I guess?!!!

Not true at all. Cincinnati at Toledo for a playoff spot doesn’t exactly carry the same weight as Ohio state at Michigan, winner to the bcs title game. Or usc at Notre dame, bush push game, lose or you’re out.

The beauty of the old system was the importance of every game. Upsets were possible and fascinating because it’s so hard to show up every week and one loss could ruin a great team’s season. I realize not everyone likes it that way. Fine. The old system didn’t always give you the two best teams but rather (likely but not always) the two most deserving teams. I loved the chaos. Most of us know who the two or three best teams are by October. I liked knowing the best team may not win it all because they could slip on on a Thursday night in covalis. It was fun for a different reason than any other sport. But it’s not what we have any more. The product is still good, just not what I prefer.
of course saying the most deserving got in under the old system is absolute hogwash, if you're a tcu fan or ucf or fsu. the most deserving got in over alabama? lol to that. the old system was skewed to protect espn's ratings more than anything. only a few were qualified and then by name more than anything. now, with a 12-team playoff major conference champions can actually earn the cfp ticket they "deserve."

It’s obvious he was scared by going to the middling Ohio State program.

On a sidenote the top 10 Heisman odds are all qbs and Avery Johnson isn’t one of them. Get your money him now I guess?!!!
it is amazing that k-state had two quarterbacks better than ohio's, for sure! btw, i'd guess k-state and avery are a year away, but your heisman comment is wrong nonetheless.

Last edited:

It carries that exact weight for those teams in question

But I understand what you are saying

I never understood the most deserving team comment. The point of any championship is to determine the best team. The best team can have an off Saturday in October but still be better than everyone else. BYU wasn’t the best team in 1984 but were awarded the championship because voters determined them to be most deserving simply because the didn’t lose a game. Washington was arguably a better team. They only lost to top10 USC in LA. And beat Michigan at Michigan by more than BYU beat them in San Diego in the bowl game.
My point is that it was the one sport that was different. Most deserving was a more interesting conversation/story line than “best”. Best can have an off night. In college football, it could cost you a title in prior systems. The “different” is what made it unique. Most deserving created chaos and chaos was fun. I hate that big games before December will now be reduced to just deciding seeds rather than putting the national title on the line in late October for two teams. And I hate rematches. The playoff will be fun, but it’s not all positives for those of us that have always followed the sport (not just Nebraska) all year. Just my 2 cents. Doesn’t mean I’m right. Just a preference.

Smart move by Howard to go to Ohio State, his draft status will go way up. If K-State were in the same league as Ohio State I doubt Howard would go to the portal. Now K-States new QB may in a season from now do exactly what Howard did to improve his draft status if he is all that he's hyped up to be.

I'm not disrespecting KSU by any means but rather pointing out kids or young men are not stupid (most of the time) they learn how to increase their chances at a professional career by using the existing rules. I think this could also happen to Nebraska with Dylan Raiola if Nebraska doesn't get back to relevance and start elevating kids draft status better.

Smart move by Howard to go to Ohio State, his draft status will go way up. If K-State were in the same league as Ohio State I doubt Howard would go to the portal. Now K-States new QB may in a season from now do exactly what Howard did to improve his draft status if he is all that he's hyped up to be.

I'm not disrespecting KSU by any means but rather pointing out kids or young men are not stupid (most of the time) they learn how to increase their chances at a professional career by using the existing rules. I think this could also happen to Nebraska with Dylan Raiola if Nebraska doesn't get back to relevance and start elevating kids draft status better.
i suspect howard's move benefited everyone involved which is rare in sports. he was told before signing with ohio that he'd be a 4th to 6th round pick in the nfl draft. he'll move up for sure if ohio wins big this fall, which is likely the case given their talent acquisitions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT