ADVERTISEMENT

12-Team Playoff Schedule Released

Hoping we go to the Fiesta Bowl when we advance to the quarterfinals.
maybe the only time we see N play k-state again is in the cfp. at least the 12-team playoff serves that kind of worthy purpose, plus many others. and yes, down here we believe state has a legit shot this year to win a b12 ticket.

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
maybe the only time we see N play k-state again is in the cfp. at least the 12-team playoff serves that kind of worthy purpose, plus many others. and yes, down here we believe state has a legit shot this year to win a b12 ticket.
Who replaced Howard for you?

Got your power towels ready do ya?

GIF by moodman

It has taken over a century, but college football has finally figured it out. This is gonna be awesome.
This is truly in the eye of the beholder. College football was always unique. Regional. Controversial. The only sport where a team had to go undefeated to win it all. It created conversation. Arguments. It was its own thing. Now, as the money has grown, it’s becoming national. It’s conforming. It’s becoming NFL-lite. It’s good in ways. But I’ll miss the days of big regular season games meaning everything. With 12 teams in every year, the regular season games that have become legend, won’t mean as much with both teams still having a chance. The playoff will be great but we sacrificed the integrity of the regular season to get it. Will it be better? Maybe. I have no idea. But it will be different and not the sport we all once knew and loved.

This is truly in the eye of the beholder. College football was always unique. Regional. Controversial. The only sport where a team had to go undefeated to win it all. It created conversation. Arguments. It was its own thing. Now, as the money has grown, it’s becoming national. It’s conforming. It’s becoming NFL-lite. It’s good in ways. But I’ll miss the days of big regular season games meaning everything. With 12 teams in every year, the regular season games that have become legend, won’t mean as much with both teams still having a chance. The playoff will be great but we sacrificed the integrity of the regular season to get it. Will it be better? Maybe. I have no idea. But it will be different and not the sport we all once knew and loved.
i see this quite differently. instead of the cfp being reserved for a few: alabama, uga, ohio state, michigan, nd, clemson, and few interlopers from time to time like texas, tcu and cincinnati - now conference championships actually matter more than the eye test. this is way more meaningful than say last year when fsu was left out because the eyes favored alabama, or undefeated ucf left because well they were directional florida not the real one.

Everything you love about college football of yore has been preserved outside of the P4

G5 teams in regional conferences will need to go unbeaten to get in and will generate tons of discussion in doing so

Reactions: jteten
I feel ya, but I don’t see integrity being lost by titles being won on the field, as opposed to votes and unbalanced bowl matchups. All of the arguments will be settled on the field. Conference realignment, transfers and NIL has already drained away much of the game we grew up watching and loving. For the first time in a few years, this feels like a step in the right direction. My only concern is one that already exists…can anyone truly beat the SEC consistently when they have 3-4 teams in the tourney every year? Saban leaving definitely helps.

For me, it won't be as good. This stuff is too much like the NFL. A month long playoff? Last game on Jan. 20? No thank you. I will lose interest long before that unless the Huskers are involved. The 12 team playoff is just a money grab by the SEC and Big 10 making sure that their 3rd or even 4th place teams get in. There's no basis for thinking that year in and year out the 11th and 12th ranked teams are national championship caliber, let alone deserving to even have a shot.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
K-State may be better ar QB. We'll see, but Howard could have possibly legit been beat out, which probably helped his decision to transfer. Lotta hype about Avery, the kitties stand a real shot to make the playoff IMO.

Reactions: shocksker
K-State may be better ar QB. We'll see, but Howard could have possibly legit been beat out, which probably helped his decision to transfer. Lotta hype about Avery, the kitties stand a real shot to make the playoff IMO.
my guess is that chris klieman told will howard that he'd have to compete for the job. howard looked at avery johnson and decided it was the nfl draft or portal. he got nfl feedback while schools including usc, ole miss, N, and ohio state started contacting him. when he saw the dollars being offered, it made it easy to go portal and solve lots of issues for everyone. now he has a chance to win a national championship. something he would not have had an opportunity of doing in manhattan. and yes, the hype is out of control by k-state standards.

my guess is that chris klieman told will howard that he'd have to compete for the job. howard looked at avery johnson and decided it was the nfl draft or portal. he got nfl feedback and schools including usc, ole miss, N, and ohio state started contacting him. when he saw the dollars, it made it easy to go portal and solve lots of issues for everyone. now he has a chance to win a national championship. something he would not have had an opportunity of doing in manhattan.
who will play once that long haired skinny kid gets hurt?

• Haha
Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
who will play once that long haired skinny kid gets hurt?
the long haired skinny dude has gained 15-20# over the winter. to answer your question though:

Ta'Quan Roberson
A former top-15 high school recruit, Roberson played for Penn State and UConn before transferring to Kansas State. He's expected to be the backup quarterback to Avery Johnson.

Last edited:
my guess is that chris klieman told will howard that he'd have to compete for the job. howard looked at avery johnson and decided it was the nfl draft or portal. he got nfl feedback while schools including usc, ole miss, N, and ohio state started contacting him. when he saw the dollars being offered, it made it easy to go portal and solve lots of issues for everyone. now he has a chance to win a national championship. something he would not have had an opportunity of doing in manhattan. and yes, the hype is out of control by k-state standards.

I love the rationalization that Howard was so scared of competing with Johnson that he decided to go to Ohio St.

I love the rationalization that Howard was so scared of competing with Johnson that he decided to go to Ohio St.
i'm not sure why that's considered a rationalization when everyone in the game has said the same thing including former quarterbacks like andre ware when watching johnson in the pop tarts bowl say: yah, i can see why that would make you transfer.

Why are we talking about Kansas State in a thread about the CFP schedule?
because they are favored to win the b12 ticket by most. so it's logical to mention them. plus, they're an ole N conference foe.

i'm not sure why that's considered a rationalization when everyone in the game has said the same thing including former quarterbacks like andre ware when watching johnson in the pop tarts bowl say: yah, i can see why that would make you transfer.
Everyone in the game? Then mention Andre Ware based on his performance in the Pop Tart Bowl against a NC St??

I would say that Klieman was more concerned about losing a QB with 3 more years of eligibility if Howard came back. Either way, it was a rationalization. You don't leave Kansas St to go to Ohio St because you are afraid of competing with top QBs, considering Ohio St has 2 4 stars and 2 5 stars on their current roster.

Reactions: king_kong_
Everyone in the game? Then mention Andre Ware based on his performance in the Pop Tart Bowl against a NC St??

I would say that Klieman was more concerned about losing a QB with 3 more years of eligibility if Howard came back. Either way, it was a rationalization. You don't leave Kansas St to go to Ohio St because you are afraid of competing with top QBs, considering Ohio St has 2 4 stars and 2 5 stars on their current roster.
i'm not going to argue rationalizations with someone who is rationalizing away what everyone in the game has concluded to be fact, that will howard left k-state because he was about to lose his job to avery johnson. and he could upgrade his nfl stock by going to ohio state or had he chosen usc, miami and a number of others. watch the andy staples video i posted above for further proof.

Nebraska would need to go 17-0 or 16-1 to win the CFP?! Who has that kind of depth?

i'm not going to argue rationalizations with someone who is rationalizing away what everyone in the game has concluded to be fact, that will howard left k-state because he was about to lose his job to avery johnson. and he could upgrade his nfl stock by going to ohio state or had he chosen usc, miami and a number of others. watch the andy staples video i posted above for further proof.
Opinions aren’t fact. Nor are they proof.

“I’m going to lose my job at kstate so I better go start at Ohio st or USC” is a sentence that simply doesn’t track when logic is applied to it.

Johnson won’t start 10 games this year. He will be hurt.

because they are favored to win the b12 ticket by most. so it's logical to mention them. plus, they're an ole N conference foe.

Half of the league is 12-1 or better to win the Big 12 championship.
Utah is also +350 and Kansas is at +650, then consider Oklahoma St, who played in the championship game returns the most production in the league and 3rd most in the nation. Schedule will play a factor because Kansas St only has 2 tough league road game, assuming you count Colorado or Iowa St as tough road games.

Opinions aren’t fact. Nor are they proof.

“I’m going to lose my job at kstate so I better go start at Ohio st or USC” is a sentence that simply doesn’t track when logic is applied to it.

Johnson won’t start 10 games this year. He will be hurt.
perhaps in your mind. but you're not will howard faced with the obvious choices. the fact is he left. everyone in the game believes that was because of avery johnson. the proof may be in the pudding this fall. we'll see how k-state does. how will does at ohio state. and then debate it some more if you wish. right now, this argument is, yes, just opinions.

My biggest complaint is that they should have had the quarterfinals on the respective campuses. Too much for fans to have to travel and gives more chances for South/North matchups in the weather.

Reactions: RBigredMax
perhaps in your mind. but you're not will howard faced with the obvious choices. the fact is he left. everyone in the game believes that was because of avery johnson. the proof may be in the pudding this fall. we'll see how k-state does. how will does at ohio state. and then debate it some more if you wish. right now, this argument is, yes, just opinions.
tripling down on everyone in the game.

My biggest complaint is that they should have had the quarterfinals on the respective campuses. Too much for fans to have to travel and gives more chances for South/North matchups in the weather.
there's a responsibility reflected in all this to take care of bowl partnerships. whether we agree or not, the committee clearly did that with the quarters.

there's a responsibility reflected in all this to take care of bowl partnerships. whether we agree or not, the committee clearly did that with the quarters.
This is where I thought the schools could have used their leverage in all of this. I get that the want to continue the bowl relationships but think of the amount of money that a playoff game would bring in for a host school to that community.

Everything you love about college football of yore has been preserved outside of the P4

G5 teams in regional conferences will need to go unbeaten to get in and will generate tons of discussion in doing so
Not true at all. Cincinnati at Toledo for a playoff spot doesn’t exactly carry the same weight as Ohio state at Michigan, winner to the bcs title game. Or usc at Notre dame, bush push game, lose or you’re out.

The beauty of the old system was the importance of every game. Upsets were possible and fascinating because it’s so hard to show up every week and one loss could ruin a great team’s season. I realize not everyone likes it that way. Fine. The old system didn’t always give you the two best teams but rather (likely but not always) the two most deserving teams. I loved the chaos. Most of us know who the two or three best teams are by October. I liked knowing the best team may not win it all because they could slip on on a Thursday night in covalis. It was fun for a different reason than any other sport. But it’s not what we have any more. The product is still good, just not what I prefer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT