ADVERTISEMENT

“You wanna be a 10 win team and you’re spending in the middle of your conference.” Nebraska 12th out of the 18 teams that will make up the new B1G

In the spirit of that graphic, which begs the question,

"what kind of output do you expect with bottom 50% input?" here is Satterfield's recent resume:

(Hint: it's bottom 50%)

2023, OC here. 111th ranked offense.
2022, OC at South Carolina: total offensive ranking of 70 out of 130. Bottom 50%. With a 5 star QB under center.
2021, OC at South Carolina: total offensive ranking: 109. Almost identical to his performance in 2023.

Satterfield's ceiling, with a massive talent upgrade, is a middle of the pack offense.

Is that supposed to get us competing with Michigan and Ohio State?

Last edited:
Wow. Following the end of the MSU game and end of the WI game it appears anti-Rhule hysteria is blossoming, like the Salem witch trials. I have been critical of Rhule, very critical in some cases. But I have listened to every minute of every PC and feel I have a decent understanding of what makes the guy tick. I don't believe the comment was a shot at anybody. I believe the comment was encouraging Tony to hold out for a job LIKE NEBRASKA where support does meet expectations.

Between facility budgeting, recruiting budget, coaching salaries, size and salaries for support staff Nebraska is defiantly in the club of "10-win" budgeting. Figuring out where NU is at is difficult, but we are up there. For instance, in 2023 Matt Rhule made $5.55M, which puts him at #31 (and tied with Deion Sanders). BUT! his average over his 8 year contract is $9.25M, which puts him at #5 now that Mel Tucker is gone. And I think Trev fudged his salary lower so the Panthers would pay more. Here is a link showing that between 2017 and 2022 NU was 3rd in the B1G for recruiting budget.

I think it would it would be silly for him to get up there and complain about NU's money commitment less than a year after he took the job. Because if he publicly complained about NU spending it means he didn't understand NU's football budget when he took the job (unlikely for a micro-manager), he was promised spending that never came (didn't happen), or everybody in D1 suddenly started spending twice as much (nope). Rhule has often remarked since the beginning how good the support for athletics is at Nebraska.

Good God y'all....bag on the man for Sims or clock management or Satterfield or Raiola or not running more or saying "if we die we die"; I may not agree with hating on him for this stuff, but I get it. However, reading WAY to much into what was (IMHO) an innocent aside to a big endorsement of one of his assistants seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrel to get dirt.

He's right and there's no reason Nebraska should be lower than 5th or 6th in terms of financial commitment among the "new" B1G.
Every team has enough money in the vonf(except for maybe the California schools (that’s why they came)). That’s why they’re part of 1 of 2 super conferences. MR was not referencing any existing B1G schools

Bo was a talented coach. Riley was a Trojan horse intended to destroy our football team for a decade (winning), and Frost whilst talented got paid and gave up. That’s my take there.
Exactly. We should have brought suit against Eichorst/Riley.

I agree. He was talking about Tony White and it was a caution to White not to take a HC job where the expectations were for 10 wins but the school spending was middle of their conference.
Man I wish you would have jumped in earlier… as several of us had no context.

Thanks bud. I’ll give Rhule a pass, he’s right about spending though with NIL… gotta get that QB from the portal, no matter the cost. OL, RB, and WR too.
And if the 1890 announces they sign some huge names, I’ll donate. I don’t really even see any others out there, are there more NIL groups for Nebraska?

Reactions: BleedRed78
In the spirit of that graphic, which begs the question,

"what kind of output do you expect with bottom 50% input?" here is Satterfield's recent resume:

(Hint: it's bottom 50%)

2023, OC here. 111th ranked offense.
2022, OC at South Carolina: total offensive ranking of 70 out of 130. Bottom 50%. With a 5 star QB under center.
2021, OC at South Carolina: total offensive ranking: 109. Almost identical to his performance in 2023.

Satterfield's ceiling, with a massive talent upgrade, is a middle of the pack offense.

Is that supposed to get us competing with Michigan and Ohio State?
Honest question.

Isn't saying he had a 5 star QB kind of disingenuous? Rattler? Come on.

Not saying I'm a fan of Sattersfield but that's a five star that never was.

Reactions: RedMyMind
Rhule is being honest. If we want to win championships we need to spend like the big boys. Without that 9-4 might be the best we can do .

As soon as college football became about "who can pay an 18 y/o kid the most money", it eliminates the advantages a school might of had from facilities or education or location.

This is an easy fix. Take 1/3 of the money (from donors) going into that new stadium rebuild, remodel whatever we want to call it and put it directly into NIL. You get a two for one. A pretty great upgrade to the stadium and some damn good 18 y/o football players.

Will miss on some but I'm guess with that 100-200 million that would of been going to stadium now going to NIL, you will hit on at least 50%.

Maybe I missed it. I just wished there was more context in this statement. Is he talking about investment in NIL? Are they losing recruits because of it? Did he ask for more money for White and was turned down on it.

Maybe I missed it. I just wished there was more context in this statement. Is he talking about investment in NIL? Are they losing recruits because of it? Did he ask for more money for White and was turned down on it.

It had nothing to do with Nebraska. It was a hypothetical answer to the type of hypothetical job Tony White should take. Rhule just cautioning him publicly not to take a job where the expectation outweighs the support. So, pretty much, nothing to see here.

It had nothing to do with Nebraska. It was a hypothetical answer to the type of hypothetical job Tony White should take. Rhule just cautioning him publicly not to take a job where the expectation outweighs the support. So, pretty much, nothing to see here.

Thank you for the context.

First off, he sounds like an amazing boss.

Secondly, if it is a P5 gig, no matter where it is, you take it. That is a winning lotto ticket.

Reactions: headcard
Hopefully this gets more poster to my thinking… the guy was a shitty hire and he’s already making excuses on why he sucks. Fire his ass and let’s hire a guy that can beat ranked teams

You really only hear what you want to. Not sure how this coach hurt you, but you should learn to let it go.

The guy isn't making any sort of excuse, and I don't recall him making one to date. He is giving good advice to his DC, on picking the right job.

Still believe the comment was throwing shade at NU. Who knows who else he would be referring to in context to a potential gig for White. I don’t know if it’s Syracuse or even another BIG school. The statement hits home regardless because it does apply to NU’s situation as well. Rhule does have a tendency to throw subtle jabs here and there.

Maybe he's right. OSU and MI have big booster support. No reason we shouldn't be near them.
Their alumni and fan bases are at least 3x the size of ours. We’re a relatively small school in a sparsely populated state. There are MAC schools that have as large of undergraduate students as UNL.

Still believe the comment was throwing shade at NU. Who knows who else he would be referring to in context to a potential gig for White. I don’t know if it’s Syracuse or even another BIG school. The statement hits home regardless because it does apply to NU’s situation as well. Rhule does have a tendency to throw subtle jabs here and there.
Your belief would be wrong.

Reactions: timnsun
It's a dose of reality. We're 27th in assistant salary pool spending. We're being outspent by programs like Kentucky, UNC, Ole Miss, & South Carolina.

Rhule had $7 million at his disposal for his assistant pool and only spent $5.95 million (up from $5.15 million in Frost's final year), which makes it even more baffling that he didn't hire a dedicated QB coach after Jake Peetz fell through.

It's a dose of reality. We're 27th in assistant salary pool spending. We're being outspent by programs like Kentucky, UNC, Ole Miss, & South Carolina.

Rhule had $7 million at his disposal for his assistant pool and only spent $5.95 million (up from $5.15 million in Frost's final year), which makes it even more baffling that he didn't hire a dedicated QB coach after Jake Peetz fell through.

Peetz fell through pretty late. I'm hoping they still go get a QB Coach (Gelnn Thomas maybe?), and move Satt to TE like they originally planned.

yeeeeaaaaahhhhh he's specifically mentioning a fanbase demanding a 10-win team but who's spending puts them 'middle of your conference'... maybe the context not seen there was about Tony White, but he's still describing EXACTLY what's going on here. Find it hard to believe he'd put that out there in that way given what's been going on here. Still say it's f*cking Prophetic.

Seeing the number of fans here turning on the guy, context or not, is telling tho. Says a lot. We're going nowhere fast...

Reactions: SeaOfRed75

We are currently at 10th in the expanded BIG in asst coaching salary pool behind (not in order)

OSU - 9.3 million
Mich
USC
PSU
MSU
Oregon
Wash -7.5 million
Iowa - 6.7 million
Illinois

We are currently at 10th in the expanded BIG in asst coaching salary pool behind (not in order)

OSU - 9.3 million
Mich
USC
PSU
MSU
Oregon
Wash -7.5 million
Iowa - 6.7 million
Illinois
If they increase the assistant coaching salary pool, they better increase the quality of the assistant coaches on the offensive side.

If they increase the assistant coaching salary pool, they better increase the quality of the assistant coaches on the offensive side.
don't see the point in paying coaches more if they've got the same lack of talent on the field to coach.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75

He's right and there's no reason Nebraska should be lower than 5th or 6th in terms of financial commitment among the "new" B1G.
Maybe you guys were not surprised by this, but I was. When I was in Lincoln last May I was impressed with all the new building going up around campus involving sports. There is no reason Nebraska is not higher on this list. It comes across as the Huskers wanting to be a powerful successful player, but want to do it on the cheap. Is this the simple answer for the decline of Husker football over the last 20 years? Who are the Huskers ahead of on this list? Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern and Minnesota? That is pathetic. Oregon has Phil Knight money, Seattle has big money that will take care of U Dub, USC has a rich and influential alumnus, UCLA, but it is a very big school with lots of wealthy donors. I think these schools are going to bring speed to the BIG and the rest of the conference better be ready. Trev better go earn his money.

Don't bring up the weather being a factor. At the same time last Saturday Nebraska was playing in relatively good weather in far north Wisconsin, Washington was paying Oregon State at Corvallis in a torrential 40-degree rainstorm. Corvallis is 47 miles from the Ducks.

Throwing money around doesn't guarantee success. Strategic spending and investing in our NIL program are keys to becoming successful.

By the time Peetz fell through most of the coaches who would be moving we’re already set. Peetz’s wife and Mickey threw wrenches into the gears. Peetz was attractive largely because of his Nebraska ties and his time with Burrow. I think Burrow bought Peetz a lot of contract money.

JFC....he wasn't taking a shot at Nebraska. He was merely telling Tony White to not jump on a Directional State College job just to be a head coach. The odds of succeeding there are much lower than other places. Especially if you factor in having to lose your best players you recruit and develop to the portal every year now. Let's look at this in reality. Is there anything he wants at NU that is lacking other than possibly the NIL (which to this day seems to be a fvcking unicorn to our media). Rhule salary, assistant salaries, commitment to facility upgrades, commitment to recruiting, fan support for the program, AD support...I don't believe NU lacks in any of these areas. NIL, yes I believe there is work to do there for sure. I see his comments as nothing against Alberts or NU. I think if Rhule wants something he thinks will help our program, he will get it. They are playing the season with one arm tied behind their back on offense and people just want to find something to bitch about IMO. Lets just kick Iowa's ass and go to a bowl game and call it a year.

Within the next 5 years or so there will be conference revenue sharing with the players. A percentage of those conf payouts will go to the players

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT