ADVERTISEMENT

“You’ve got to be a little creative in this league”

I do not think there is any doubt he was casting shade at Whipple. And with good reason in my view. Whipple's play calling in the run game was atrocious, with run after run between the tackles for no gain. Grant had one long run and that was it. We did run a few plays to the perimeter and they were more successful. Then Smothers comes in and runs one play well. And given the fact that NW could not handle our QB run game or our option game last year, then why the heck don't you leave him in and see if he could ignite a spark?

All that said, this is the very reason why Alberts laid a turd last year in not firing Frost then. By forcing him to hire new coaches and by in essence forcing him to give up his status as play caller, he has neutered his head coach precisely as a head coach. This bullshit we have been reading about how the new offense would be a "meshing" of the Whipple and Frost offenses is nonsense, because what we saw yesterday was Whipple's offense entirely. For his entire career Frost has favored a zone-read offense with a dual threat QB. I actually like that offense and I think it works well when you have a better QB than the one we had and a better offensive line. Watching the more pro style offense of Whipple flounder in the second half must have been galling for Frost who probably felt like intervening but did not dare to lest he be accused of interfering in the play calling, which he had been forced to give up.

The entire situation is just dysfunctional as hell and is a recipe for more trouble. There is just a whole bad vibe surround the Whipple-Frost relationship which kind of smacks of an infantilized Frost taking orders from his elder statesman coach. When Whipple enters the press room there is a whole vibe of "finally, there is an adult in the room" and when Frost enters the vibe is "Oh here comes the spoiled, arrogant kid again."

Frost is a lousy head coach. He should have been fired. But his legacy as a Husker saved his ass. It is time to admit that the entire Devaney/Osborne thing is dead, dead, dead. It is time to stop these hires that try to relate us again to that era. And I include the hiring of Alberts in that as well. If Alberts can't find the balls to fire Frost then he should be fired too. Clean house and open the checkbook for a new AD and a new head football coach who know how to build a football program from scratch. Because that is where we are now. We need a complete reinvention of Husker football from the ground up. Because based on what I saw yesterday I see us going 2-10 or 3-9. And if that happens watch how fast our current recruiting class goes up in smoke and how many guys transfer out.

This dumpster fire was created by Steve Pederson and Sean Eichorst who both fired our only two successful coaches post Osborne. Were Pelini and Solich great coaches? No. But they were solid coaches. Neither one could compete against elite teams, but at least they beat the teams they should and got us to bowl games. Now we need an AD with some balls and some fire and a real vision. **** the sell out streak. **** the tunnel walk. **** the balloons. Find a coach and a staff who know how to build a program.
I just punched my head through the door

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Whipple should probably tell Frost we need to be a little less creative on special teams.

They scored 14 in the second half. Along with the 14 they scored in the first half that should always be enough to beat NW.

Not really, NW is known for their defense and a horrible offense.

But yes you are correct, we scored in the 2nd half.

Not really, NW is known for their defense and a horrible offense.

But yes you are correct, we scored in the 2nd half.
So 28 points against a team that “is known for their defense and a horrible offense” is not enough to win? I’m starting to get the impression you have brain damage.

We are weak in the trenches on both sides of the ball yesterday. That was more than poor game management. No running game and a porous defense were not the result of poor game management. We have recruited poorly on both lines and have developed neither one. The only reason we were in that game at all was because our QB was on fire in the first half. As soon as he went cold, the whole team folded.
Poor game management as well as being weak in the trenches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT