ADVERTISEMENT

Chiefs fans vote down stadium tax that would have helped build a new stadium.

St Louis lost the Rams. Unlikely another NFL team is coming. If KC loses a team they'll be far down the list of choices.
Baltimore says hello. Worked out for them when the colts left in the middle of the night.

Proud of those citizens who said FU to the Hunt family on this issue.

The owner and the league have more money than Gawd, stop asking middle class families to pay for your new toys.
Tampa recently agreed to a new 1.3 billion dollar stadium ... of course the team owners are chipping in 600 million, so the taxpayers only have to cover 700 million.
17huby.jpg

Tampa recently agreed to a new 1.3 billion dollar stadium ... of course the team owners are chipping in 600 million, so the taxpayers only have to cover 700 million.
17huby.jpg
Socialize the cost, but they get to keep the profits. Our government is good at doing this with bailouts to companies they deem too big to fail.

Reactions: Champ_Kind_whammy
If I understand the Tampa situation correctly, the people did not get to vote on it but...and this is a biggy...the money is coming from tourist taxes? So if it isn't coming out of the local citizens pocket and their taxes aren't being raised to cover the cost, seems like a pretty great deal to me if you're a Tampa fan or resident and business owner in the area.

Am I understanding the finances correctly? Anyone in the know?

If I understand the Tampa situation correctly, the people did not get to vote on it but...and this is a biggy...the money is coming from tourist taxes? So if it isn't coming out of the local citizens pocket and their taxes aren't being raised to cover the cost, seems like a pretty great deal to me if you're a Tampa fan or resident and business owner in the area.

Am I understanding the finances correctly? Anyone in the know?
Supposedly it will all come from tourist taxes such as bed taxes from hotels and airbnbs.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Little snippet I read on the Chiefs/Royals vote this morn......in going on to read the rest of the article, if I understood it correctly, when citizens are allowed to actually vote on this subject, they always reject it. The only time local tax hikes make it thru is when they don't allow people to vote on it. Interesting.

On April 2, 2024, voters in Jackson County soundly rejected a referendum to extend a local sales tax for 40 years in order to provide $2 billion in public funding to build a new baseball stadium in downtown Kansas City and fund major renovations of Arrowhead Stadium, the home of the Chiefs.

The vote in Missouri came one month after the collapse of an arena project that would have moved the Washington, D.C.’s basketball and hockey teams, the Wizards and Capitals, to Alexandria, Virginia.

Similarly, proposed facilities in Las Vegas; Oakland, California; Tampa, Florida; and Chicago have all run into serious roadblocks, all stemming from taxpayers questioning why they should be forced to cover private businesses’ expenses.

What was looking like a flood of new taxpayer-financed sports facilities across the country has turned into a trickle.

Whole article here if anyone cares...https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/why-the-chiefs-and-royals-couldn-t-convince-kansas-city-voters-to-foot-the-bill-for-their-stadiums/ar-BB1l82dN?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=498145cb96a7483ca285e6d8cea9717a&ei=8

Be careful what you wish for. Plenty of cities and fans out there that will pony up for a baseball team.

Be careful what you wish for. Plenty of cities and fans out there that will pony up for a baseball team.

...not if the politicians of those cities let them actually vote on it. I love it, and I can live with whatever the outcome, if people are allowed to have a say on where their money goes.

Reactions: saluno22
Arrowhead is the Hunt’s legacy. There’s a possibility they move to the Kansas side, but I don’t think they will ever leave the area.

Their fortunes should not be tied to whatever schemes the Royals are trying to come up with. Chiefs fans would be butt hurt if they left Missouri for Kansas, but they’d get over it.

Arrowhead is the Hunt’s legacy. There’s a possibility they move to the Kansas side, but I don’t think they will ever leave the area.

Their fortunes should not be tied to whatever schemes the Royals are trying to come up with. Chiefs fans would be butt hurt if they left Missouri for Kansas, but they’d get over it.
Maybe they should further explore making significant upgrades to the surrounding infrastructure and making the general area more of an entertainment/retail district, rather than building a completely new stadium elsewhere.
What's more cost-effective...doing that or building an entirely new stadium on the Kansas side where the entertainment district/retail already exists?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT