ADVERTISEMENT

Z Betts

barack obama GIF

He took 21 hrs at Nebraska, but struggled to learn the playbook?
There are different types of learning of course. But Betts has always had a problem learning the playbook and with Frost's offense, he was one of a couple WR's who weren't able to remember sequences of plays for the hurry up offense. This was why we often saw other WR's playing with the game on the line.

Another issue with Betts, I heard and I believe this, is that overall he simply doesn't enjoy the game. There are elements he likes and missed enough to go through the trouble of taking those 21 hours, but I guess that got outweighed by the stuff he dislikes. In any case, he took away valuable reps from young receivers who will now be asked to step up and fill his spot.

Yup, he said “ZB doesn’t like the burden of other people’s expectations”. (paraphrased) Basically the overarching conclusion was, he just doesn’t love football enough to deal with the pressure.
Such a huge bummer. I do have to say that I haven’t seen a unique situation like this one. It’s puzzling because Rhule re-recruited him, then Betts did so much work to get back, only to bow out again. His body language in spring was the opposite of burned out, almost like the structure and discipline of academics and football were helping him become better, reach and attain goals, etc.

I hope Betts can find something he loves to structure his life, because that’s what it seemed like Rhule was trying to give him.

Such a huge bummer. I do have to say that I haven’t seen a unique situation like this one. It’s puzzling because Rhule re-recruited him, then Betts did so much work to get back, only to bow out again. His body language in spring was the opposite of burned out, almost like the structure and discipline of academics and football were helping him become better, reach and attain goals, etc.

I hope Betts can find something he loves to structure his life, because that’s what it seemed like Rhule was trying to give him.
It appears to me that he has a mental health issue that he’s dealing with. He’s been up and down and again quits a sport where his talent could earn him tens of millions of dollars. Most of us endured a grind for years just to get to the point of being able to get a job that puts food on the table. Then normally that job you trained for became monotonous…and a grind. He’s not going to find the level of happiness he thinks he might elsewhere. Damn to be that young and athletic…..

It appears to me that he has a mental health issue that he’s dealing with. He’s been up and down and again quits a sport where his talent could earn him tens of millions of dollars. Most of us endured a grind for years just to get to the point of being able to get a job that puts food on the table. Then normally that job you trained for became monotonous…and a grind. He’s not going to find the level of happiness he thinks he might elsewhere. Damn to be that young and athletic…..
is he nervous of large crowds? what is his exact deal...

From what the reporters talk about it sounds like he doesn't like school or the required dedication that is required to play football at a school like Nebraska. But he's so naturally good he keeps gravitating back to football.

Reactions: redwine65
My amateurish distant diagnosis is depression but It’s hard to say without being around him. Maybe some anxiety which can be devastating. These guys are human with all the same issues that average students deal with and they have a camera and microphone in front of them constantly which magnifies any insecurities they have. Whatever is going on with him I think it’s more than just not liking football.

From what the reporters talk about it sounds like he doesn't like school or the required dedication that is required to play football at a school like Nebraska. But he's so naturally good he keeps gravitating back to football.
Who likes school? Nobody I knew. It’s deeper than that IMO.

My amateurish distant diagnosis is depression but It’s hard to say without being around him. Maybe some anxiety which can be devastating. These guys are human with all the same issues that average students deal with and they have a camera and microphone in front of them constantly which magnifies any insecurities they have. Whatever is going on with him I think it’s more than just not liking football.
You are right about anxiety being devestating. I am 59 and have dealt with anxiety since I was a kid. There was a time in my life when some normal activities were debilitating to me while others were not. I would completely avoid those activities when possible which only made things worse when I couldn't avoid it. I am way better now having faced those fears and gotten used to them, but the anxiety is always still there in the back of my mind. We leave for Europe in a few weeks and I am on edge. Ten years ago I would have been really struggling at this point.

Who likes school? Nobody I knew. It’s deeper than that IMO.
Some kids like school, some kids are indifferent, and some kids can't stand school. If you already don't like school and hate getting up at 6 am to workout or practice, then life probably generally sucks.

I just found it odd that he was basically on the downhill slide towards the season when he quit.

Reactions: redwine65
Being in my early 40s, the biggest thing that gets to me as I get older is regret. I still regret quitting sports in high school and it’s been over 20 years. I just really hope that this isn’t something he wakes up from later in life and has to deal with the regret of quitting the Nebraska football team twice.

Last edited:
This makes me think of Jeff King, who played 10 years in the Major Leagues, then abruptly retired 21 games into the 1999 season. It was reported that he disliked baseball so much that he retired the day after his MLB pension became fully vested.

Reactions: dinglefritz
You are right about anxiety being devestating. I am 59 and have dealt with anxiety since I was a kid. There was a time in my life when some normal activities were debilitating to me while others were not. I would completely avoid those activities when possible which only made things worse when I couldn't avoid it. I am way better now having faced those fears and gotten used to them, but the anxiety is always still there in the back of my mind. We leave for Europe in a few weeks and I am on edge. Ten years ago I would have been really struggling at this point.
A trip to Europe can be a LOT of fun. You just have to try to not do too much. Just relax and eat your way around. I hate flying, cities, touristy stuff etc but I loved our trips to Europe. Just don’t miss any trains between Paris and London🥴

I can relate to all of this and I'm 60. Spent 24 years in the military, deployments and reassignment would get me worked up. Had a good time once we arrived but getting there was a bitch! Later in life as I moved up the chain, leadership was the next hard thing since you became the focal point. I had to learn to hide the fear and push on. It definitely held me back from higher roles but I'm happy with my accomplishments made.

I can relate to all of this and I'm 60. Spent 24 years in the military, deployments and reassignment would get me worked up. Had a good time once we arrived but getting there was a bitch! Later in life as I moved up the chain, leadership was the next hard thing since you became the focal point. I had to learn to hide the fear and push on. It definitely held me back from higher roles but I'm happy with my accomplishments made.
Awesome. Thanks for all your years of service.

I think those that are uncomfortable when advancing in rank or position tend to make measured decisions, they often become very good leaders.

At a fairly young age in my career I became a guy who could fix projects in trouble. Which is why I find Matt Rhule's process fascinating. Up to my last year of work I would sit down with a new group on a troubled project and they were unhappy, apprehensive and whipped. They looked at me with hope that I could fix it. Every meet and greet like this was terrifying. I was scared I couldn't handle it, feared I'd let them down, worried about my reputation. I'd have to stop myself from shaking I was so nervous. All I could do is say, "OK...what works and what doesn't?" and go from there. Leadership is tough for most people and I always found it unsettling.

I agree. I think he should be encouraged to talk to a therapist before being shown the door. Even if football isn't his future he'll need resilience to survive in any career field. It appears that he lacks that.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Imo, Dingle is dead on here. I was thinking the same thing. There just seems to be more to this than, "I just don't love football." I really hope he finds a good support system to help him and has a long, productive, and happy life.

Imo, Dingle is dead on here. I was thinking the same thing. There just seems to be more to this than, "I just don't love football." I really hope he finds a good support system to help him and has a long, productive, and happy life.
IF I recall correctly after the last time he quit he had an issue with a pot arrest and something else. It just seemed like he was drifting aimlessly. IMO the structure of football would be a good thing for him and I don’t see anything good coming from him quitting.

Reactions: HuskerDana
At a fairly young age in my career I became a guy who could fix projects in trouble. Which is why I find Matt Rhule's process fascinating. Up to my last year of work I would sit down with a new group on a troubled project and they were unhappy, apprehensive and whipped. They looked at me with hope that I could fix it. Every meet and greet like this was terrifying. I was scared I couldn't handle it, feared I'd let them down, worried about my reputation. I'd have to stop myself from shaking I was so nervous. All I could do is say, "OK...what works and what doesn't?" and go from there. Leadership is tough for most people and I always found it unsettling.
I wonder how it would change your motivation to be deep in your 40s, be given 79 million, with half of it guaranteed. Is it better to put up smoke and mirrors and talk a good game to get as far through your contract as possible or actually work yourself to the bone to do nearly an impossible task, miss your kids childhood, and sacrifice your health to take one of the worst teams in power 5 football with an increasingly difficult conference to above average success, 9-10 wins a year. I just don't see it happening. This just isn't the great reset that the program needed...and Rhule wasn't able to convert his college success into a top 5 coaching staff. Coaches who are doing it for the kids, are not coaching for 79 million, that is just a smart marketing illusion from a master marketer.

I wonder how it would change your motivation to be deep in your 40s, be given 79 million, with half of it guaranteed. Is it better to put up smoke and mirrors and talk a good game to get as far through your contract as possible or actually work yourself to the bone to do nearly an impossible task, miss your kids childhood, and sacrifice your health to take one of the worst teams in power 5 football with an increasingly difficult conference to above average success, 9-10 wins a year. I just don't see it happening. This just isn't the great reset that the program needed...and Rhule wasn't able to convert his college success into a top 5 coaching staff. Coaches who are doing it for the kids, are not coaching for 79 million, that is just a smart marketing illusion from a master marketer.
Sacrifice his health? Wah hahahaha. 🤣. You’re not even good at trolling

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT