ADVERTISEMENT

Your First "Uh-Oh" Moment with Scott Frost

The handling of the Gebbia-AM qb battle....or announcement on the decision of the starter. Pretty bad look.
That was handled just fine imo. AM was the better qb of the two, or at least the one Frost was looking for. Gebbia transferred out and never accomplished anything really.

That was handled just fine imo. AM was the better qb of the two, or at least the one Frost was looking for. Gebbia transferred out and never accomplished anything really.
So sort of like AM then in regards to accomplishments? At any rate, Frost could have and should have handled it differently and try to keep Gebbia both for the sake of competing and to have a decent backup. Just more of Frost being stubborn and having no plan B or competition in key spots.

I didn't have the foresight of many of you. First real this isn't gonna happen thought was Illinois opener last year. Four years in and same shit.
Really I'm sure there were earlier signs for me, but that is the one where hope of the turnaround and actually building something mostly went away.

So sort of like AM then in regards to accomplishments? At any rate, Frost could have and should have handled it differently and try to keep Gebbia both for the sake of competing and to have a decent backup. Just more of Frost being stubborn and having no plan B or competition in key spots.
He did try to keep him. Gebbia decided to transfer out instead as soon as he heard he wasn't the starter. What else could Frost have done?

I am not going to rehash the entire time. It's water under the bridge at this point. If you go through a final scrimmage for evaluation, tell a kid that each kid will be told privately of the decision, then one kid has to find out of the decision through other players instead, it is a bad look.

I actually gave Frost the benefit of the doubt later on....because he even alluded to the fact that he handled it poorly.

So, once again....I am NOT saying that Gebbia was the more talented player, just that the situation was not handled very well.

That CU loss was a bad one
I was at the CU game in Boulder. Scott and the team really blew that one. What a colossal collapse. I took my cousin who was born and has lived in Denver his entire life. After the game I did not want to make my cousin feel bad so I just held in my anger and smiled. Believe me, I was pissed at such an awful performance. It should have been a celebration. The D was so ineffective. Just like it is this year.

When I look back at Scott Frost’s tenure I sum it up as excuse after excuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: dand84
Yes, Coach Frost ability to communicate with his team members was very poor for a head coach! In following Husker football for years, even Tom O. had player discontent! It's everywhere & on any team, but a really good coach can convince, a player to change positions, etc and do for the good of the team! Frost, to me is unyielding, showed favor and lacked real leadership skills! That 5 win 22 losses in 1 score games, shows it!

I didn't have the foresight of many of you. First real this isn't gonna happen thought was Illinois opener last year. Four years in and same shit.
Really I'm sure there were earlier signs for me, but that is the one where hope of the turnaround and actually building something mostly went away.
I agree with many other early warning signs mentioned, but that game was more the end of the road for me where I knew there was no way we could recover from that point on.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
When he brought his entire UCF staff…
This also concerned me at first, then I semi-respected his explanation and loyalty, despite my doubts.
However, any acceptance included the trust/understanding that his staff was competent. That just wasn’t the case and he was responsible for squandering the opportunity to assemble an all-star group from the jump.

Added to this was Verduzco’s admission that he prohibits his QB’s from working with any private QB coaches in the off season.
Alarms bells were ringing at that comment. I just could not believe the hubris and utter stupidity of such a concept. Then of course we saw the results.

His first PC when he thanked the former players for coming to welcome him and said it looked like a lot of them had been eating too much. Right then I started questioning his ability to be a "CEO". You don't dump on guys for being fat who have come, some from a long way to welcome you, even if you are trying to make a joke. It was tasteless.
I was going to write about this, too. I remember thinking what a jerky thing to say to men who had come to show their support for him. Came across insensitive and disrespectful. I wonder if it was always too easy for Scott so therefore he did not truly appreciate how great it was being the head coach of the Huskers. He definitely threw it away like it was nothing.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
For me, it was the Colorado game in 2019.

NU dominated the first half of that game and looked like they had shaken the rust off of the lackluster season opener. You might remember we received the 2nd half kick-off, but began the possession by calling a time-out. We ended up completely unravelling, giving up 24 4th quarter points - including a tying TD in the final minute. You might also remember that we really didn't have a kicker in that game. The game ended with our punter attempting a 48 yard FG in OT, after our OT possession went backward.

After that game, I remember wondering how in the world we blew that game.
Great call. I was there with you and I wanted SF fired by season's end when he chose not replace his horrible assistant coaches starting with Chins

Gebbia was one of the lazy Riley recruits. He didn’t deserve a shot in the eyes of ginger jesus

Gebbia/Martinez and Jurgens being handed the Center job! Have to admit that by the 4th year Jurgens developed.

Reactions: Wasker77
I was going to write about this, too. I remember thinking what a jerky thing to say to men who had come to show their support for him. Came across insensitive and disrespectful. I wonder if it was always too easy for Scott so therefore he did not truly appreciate how great it was being the head coach of the Huskers. He definitely threw it away like it was nothing.
Total douche move. He played for Osborne but a 180 from TO in style/approach

Total douche move. He played for Osborne but a 180 from TO in style/approach
He’s always been that way, it was a recipe for disaster. Everyone involved in hiring him needs to join him in the unemployment line.

Not sure at this moment I thought he was doomed but from his very first press conference when he lashed out at the media for mentioning his well known parents.

I didn't say he wasn't....or wouldn't have been. I said THE HANDLING of the announcement of the starter. Big difference.
We only know how it was handled in public. Gebbia and AM may have known weeks before.

We only know how it was handled in public. Gebbia and AM may have known weeks before.
I don't think so. Why? because Gebbia announced he was leaving immediately after the announcement that AM was the starter. I thought at the time that Gebbia was making a mistake. I figured he would get plenty of playing time if he had stayed. Turns out AM got hurt in the Colorado game. I am sure Gebbia will tell you now that it was the best decision going to Oregon State. He has been hurt quite a bit. I just checked. He is still on the team, but there are no stats for this year. Did not play last year in 2021. Beavers played two quarterbacks in their blow-out win over FCS Montana State, the starter and a Redshirt Freshman, so it looks like Gebbia's playing days are behind him.

Last edited:
Chinander concerned me. Other than him I had no problem with his staff. In fact IF Frost had cut ties with Chin after that crappy year 3 Frist might still be our coach.
I think we just bamboozled ourselves overall. We all (including me) got caught up in the romantic notion that we could repeat TO here with Frost, that he would be able to come in (based on what he did at UCF) and do the same here.

To be fair, none of us could have known the truth, that being that as a head coach, he's not at the P5 level and intellectually he probably never will be. As an assistant, certainly, as a coordinator, perhaps, but not as a head coach. Chin is exactly the same. There were a few position coaches that were sure fire clunkers (Verdo, Watters, Shields, and Lubeck), but most of them were at a level that they can effectively coach with a good HC and coordinators).

Firing Chin would have only possibly prolonged the agony with Frost.

Reactions: HuskerDana
I don't think so. Why? because Gebbia announced he was leaving immediately after the announcement that AM was the starter. I thought at the time that Gebbia was making a mistake. I figured he would get plenty of playing time if he had stayed. Turns out AM got hurt in the Colorado game. I am sure Gebbia will tell you now that it was the best decision going to Oregon State. He has been hurt quite a bit. I just checked. He is still on the team, but there are no stats for this year. Did not play last year in 2021
He got hurt then replaced. He'll never play much again. We could have used him at the end of the CU game and against Troy in 2018.

The problem Gebbia had was that he thought he was a lot better than he was.

I am not going to rehash the entire time. It's water under the bridge at this point. If you go through a final scrimmage for evaluation, tell a kid that each kid will be told privately of the decision, then one kid has to find out of the decision through other players instead, it is a bad look.

I actually gave Frost the benefit of the doubt later on....because he even alluded to the fact that he handled it poorly.

So, once again....I am NOT saying that Gebbia was the more talented player, just that the situation was not handled very well.
There's always stuff like this that comes out of each camp. It's hard or impossible to verify the accuracy of these statements. If Gebbia loved Nebraska and wanted to stay, he wouldn't have transferred out. I agree though, this is water under the bridge.

There's always stuff like this that comes out of each camp. It's hard or impossible to verify the accuracy of these statements. If Gebbia loved Nebraska and wanted to stay, he wouldn't have transferred out. I agree though, this is water under the bridge.
I don't claim to be an "insider". This situation I know quite well, though. Maybe Gebbia transfers, anyway..... and the unprofessional handling of the situation by Frost just gave him a good reason to transfer. I can't answer to that. I do know that what I heard is very accurate. I'll just leave it at that.

I am just saying that....knowing what I knew, it was the first red flag I saw, which is what the OP was asking. I STILL chalked it up to, "Well, SF is still a pretty young HC and maybe he'll learn from it."

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHNNY N
For me it was when the rumors were strongly pointing to him as the next HC at NE. I took more than a casual interest in UCF games, both live and replays. At the time, we had no idea who he would name as his assistant coaches.

As I normally do, I watched several plays over and over, enough times to see what each player on the screen actually did. That was when I began to be very unimpressed.

They were winning games where D was an afterthought and the other team had so many opportunities, you were bound to get a pick sooner or later against them. The group that really depressed me was the OL. Many times they hardly touched a guy but made big plays by getting people out of position and using the UCF speed.

I had hoped we would see some different names for our assistants which obviously did not happen and the rest is history.

Last edited:
There were a few position coaches that were sure fire clunkers (Verdo, Watters, Shields, and Lubeck), but most of them were at a level that they can effectively coach with a good HC and coordinators).

Firing Chin would have only possibly prolonged the agony with Frost.
Shields?? Do you mean Austin?

For me, it was the Colorado game in 2019.

NU dominated the first half of that game and looked like they had shaken the rust off of the lackluster season opener. You might remember we received the 2nd half kick-off, but began the possession by calling a time-out. We ended up completely unravelling, giving up 24 4th quarter points - including a tying TD in the final minute. You might also remember that we really didn't have a kicker in that game. The game ended with our punter attempting a 48 yard FG in OT, after our OT possession went backward.

After that game, I remember wondering how in the world we blew that game.
Maybe about the 5th time where I thought “that is shitty clock management “.

Reactions: phoenix4nu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT