ADVERTISEMENT

Your First "Uh-Oh" Moment with Scott Frost

Husker4real

Senior
Nov 25, 2017
For me, it was the Colorado game in 2019.

NU dominated the first half of that game and looked like they had shaken the rust off of the lackluster season opener. You might remember we received the 2nd half kick-off, but began the possession by calling a time-out. We ended up completely unravelling, giving up 24 4th quarter points - including a tying TD in the final minute. You might also remember that we really didn't have a kicker in that game. The game ended with our punter attempting a 48 yard FG in OT, after our OT possession went backward.

After that game, I remember wondering how in the world we blew that game.

Lightning at the Akron game. But the handling of the "QB competition" was rather alarming right off the bat.

Jk, but probably the first game of the second season with Frost at the helm. Started to see that that's what this was ever going to be under Frost.

Are you kidding? It took until 2019? (just kidding, sort of) How about the onside kick against Ohio State circa 2018 afterwe took the early 7-0 lead? That might not have even been the first of the incomprehensible calls that looked like he just decided to pull it out of his ass on the spur of the moment without any prior practice.

Are you kidding? It took until 2019? (just kidding, sort of) How about the onside kick against Ohio State circa 2018 afterwe took the early 7-0 lead? That might not have even been the first of the incomprehensible calls that looked like he just decided to pull it out of his ass on the spur of the moment without any prior practice.
Unfortunately there’s been too many of those. The onside kick was probably the final one for me

I have to say for me there was no single “uh oh” moment. I was puzzled and annoyed when he started 2018 0-6. I remember thinking that something was not right about that. Sure he was a new coach, but there was a lot of blame shifting by Frost when he called out the “bad apples” on the team who had not “bought in”. I remember thinking “isn’t it his job to get rid of the bad apples who aren’t buying in”? Especially since they were supposedly to blame for the 0-6 start. But I swallowed my doubts and looked forward to 2019. Then came the second loss to CU. That is when I first started wondering if Frost was a good coach or not. And after the opening game loss to Illinois in 2021 I was officially on the fire Frost bandwagon.

I have to say for me there was no single “uh oh” moment. I was puzzled and annoyed when he started 2018 0-6. I remember thinking that something was not right about that. Sure he was a new coach, but there was a lot of blame shifting by Frost when he called out the “bad apples” on the team who had not “bought in”. I remember thinking “isn’t it his job to get rid of the bad apples who aren’t buying in”? Especially since they were supposedly to blame for the 0-6 start. But I swallowed my doubts and looked forward to 2019. Then came the second loss to CU. That is when I first started wondering if Frost was a good coach or not. And after the opening game loss to Illinois in 2021 I was officially on the fire Frost bandwagon.
That CU loss was a bad one

I had a sinking feeling we were screwed when it was announced his whole staff was coming from UCF. I was very down on Frost before we hired Riley, thought it was stupid how everyone was clambering for him that year, but by the time Riley was done and I saw the UCF deal, I was ok with it, BUT, like a lot of others, I was hoping we would go for a big time D Coordinator hire, but instead got Chinander.

i was an excuse maker for frost so i'm not sure about my first, but his comments (or lack thereof) about anthony grant postgame after UND was definitely my last straw with him

When he brought his entire UCF staff…

This was a huge red flag for me as well. The AD specifically gave Frost a lot more money to pay the assistant coaching staff, under the premise that he would be able to get top coordinators and assistants who could also recruit. Instead, he brought his entourage, giving them huge raises compared to their salaries at UCF. Looking at the recruiting classes pulled in at UCF, they weren't even getting their share of recruits from talent-rich Florida.

Apologists argued that the coaching continuity would help Frost win right away. And by "win right away," they apparently meant: "Lose the first six games, including a home loss to the Troy Trojans of Troy."

2018 game against Colorado (first game). With less than 4 minutes in the game and Nebraska leading 28-27, Nebraska was running the ball on most plays and picking up good yardage a couple of first downs......all good. The bad was that we kept snapping the ball with 15 to 20+ seconds still on the play clock on every play. Nebraska could of bled the clock way down and not left time for Colorado to drive the length of the field at the end. The need to have a reputation for using the least amount time between snaps was more important than good time/game management.

For me personally I think it was a bad hire to begin with in the fact he had one good season at Central Florida and was never offered the opportunity at Oregon when Chip Kelly bolted for the NFL. I was happy they canned Riley absolutely, but could have done a better job of searching for a new coach.

First one was probably the loss to Troy. Granted it was with a backup JUCO quarterback, but Troy had been blown out by Boise State by four touchdowns two weeks earlier. Watching Troy manhandle the Huskers' offensive line was depressing.

Another loss that really stands out was the game at Purdue the following year. Should have been up by 20 at the half, but the infamous shovel pass and other brain cramps kept the game close. Then a bunch of backups on a banged up Purdue offense marched right down the field for the winning TD - ending on a reverse where everybody on D played hero ball and failed to stay home.

After the Troy loss in 2018, in the press conference Frost said something to the effect of the players really deserved a win.

For me, it was the Colorado game in 2019.

NU dominated the first half of that game and looked like they had shaken the rust off of the lackluster season opener. You might remember we received the 2nd half kick-off, but began the possession by calling a time-out. We ended up completely unravelling, giving up 24 4th quarter points - including a tying TD in the final minute. You might also remember that we really didn't have a kicker in that game. The game ended with our punter attempting a 48 yard FG in OT, after our OT possession went backward.

After that game, I remember wondering how in the world we blew that game.
That was the game for me as well, Best thing about the end of the game was getting high smoking great weed..

lightning-akron-game-2018.jpg

This. Exactly.

Real simple. When he had been here about 3 he came out in an interview or presser and said, as a summary, "We're going to do it like Tom did." I didn't think it would be quite this big of a failure, but knew then he had no chance to succeed.

I think Frost banged his old lady
Actually he wouldn’t leave a friends wife alone, after following home from the bar. That was long after my opinion of him was formed. He really does like to hide!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT