ADVERTISEMENT

You think Cam Newton...

Like everyone in this thread, I fully suppose free expression as long as the ideas being conveyed strictly conform to my way of thinking. I'm incredibly tolerant of folks who act just like I do.

Reactions: Yossarian23
If you buy into the old saying, "You are what your record says you are", then yesterday you met the real Mr. Newton. Oh sure, when he's winning football games and everyone is telling him how great he is he's a super likeable guy, but this is what he is, always has been. Had to turn the TV when he was being interviewed by a reporter in pregame who's first name escapes me, but his last name is Brown I am 99.9% sure...Good ole Cam talking about "Why can't people (insert one of many stupid comments he eluded to and was hinting at racism here) and when Mr. Brown asked him specifically "Has anyone told you that" he couldn't answer the question, because it would have been "No" and he would have looked stupid for complaining about it since it never happened, instead he says "I'm just saying"...and goes off on another rant about something that never happened. I loved the way he pouted every chance he got yesterday, and that sweet "business decision" that may have cost them any remaining chance they had at winning the freaking Super Bowl....Rant over.

I've always been torn on this subject...on the one hand I love my country and I want EVERYONE to love this country. But I'd be naive if everyone feels about this place like I do.We have not been a country that is pure in our treatment of our citizens. I FULLY support our military, and truth be told, my biggest 'lumps in throat' come when they show our soldiers stationed watching the game.But I also never put my hand over my heart, but I do stand at attention. Just a mixed bag, I guess.

I've always been torn on this subject...on the one hand I love my country and I want EVERYONE to love this country. But I'd be naive if everyone feels about this place like I do.We have not been a country that is pure in our treatment of our citizens. I FULLY support our military, and truth be told, my biggest 'lumps in throat' come when they show our soldiers stationed watching the game.But I also never put my hand over my heart, but I do stand at attention. Just a mixed bag, I guess.

Agreed. It is kind of a mixed bag anymore. Both grandfathers were marines, and my dad was in the Army. All three just stand at attention. A lot of times headdown holding their cap down by their waist. They aren't showing any disrespect, I think things have just changed and people might not even know there is the rule posted above. Interesting topic.

Agreed. It is kind of a mixed bag anymore. Both grandfathers were marines, and my dad was in the Army. All three just stand at attention. A lot of times headdown holding their cap down by their waist. They aren't showing any disrespect, I think things have just changed and people might not even know there is the rule posted above. Interesting topic.
Personally I'm usually choking back tears because the anthem reminds me of people I knew/know that either died or were horribly maimed in the middle east these past few years. IF for no other reason than that people should show respect during the anthem to show respect for those people that have given their lives for our rights and freedoms. If you want to get a taste or reality go to a graveside service for a vet where they give the gun salute and play taps.

The talking heads acted bewildered as to why people dont care for $Cam prior to the game, and then $Cam gave a demonstration why.

Ah...now I know what YOUR definition of hater is. It's when you don't have a compelling argument on your side, so you throw out the racism card, so you can hopefully collect support from shallow idiots like yourself.

You're all wet, sir. I didn't like what he and his dad did by offering their services to the highest bidder coming out of high school. Even then, he had won me back by being all about the kids, and giving away balls to them. I thought it was really cool. I thought he also had fun with the Superman persona. I probably like the humble guys like Ameer Abdulla more, but I actually sorta liked Cam Newton. But when it comes to respecting those that died for our country, I'm fully on board, and didn't like what he pulled during the National Anthem.

Peddle your bullshit racism claim to someone else. I know who I am, and my views on the issue of equality, and you just insulted a lot of my black friends by suggesting that their friend is your definition of a racist. Shame on you.
LMAO!!! See....Where did I bring up racism??? Your " you're either with us or against us" approach explains it all.. You are upset and bothered Cam hasn't conformed to your way of thinking... Be mad sir, its ok but know this. When it comes down to it, you're accountable for yourself.. So mind your business, take your hat off, put your right hand over your chest and STFU!! It would be a better world if people did as much.. Brainwashed clone..

Really bad day for Cam. From the lack of effort on that fumble to his b!tch ass press conference walkout. Its all well and good to dance when you are on top. At least answer the questions when you get beat.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
LMAO!!! See....Where did I bring up racism??? Your " you're either with us or against us" approach explains it all.. You are upset and bothered Cam hasn't conformed to your way of thinking... Be mad sir, its ok but know this. When it comes down to it, you're accountable for yourself.. So mind your business, take your hat off, put your right hand over your chest and STFU!! It would be a better world if people did as much.. Brainwashed clone..

Actually, your approach explains it all. I think I will go ahead and continue to be a "brainwashed clone" and show respect for our flag, our country, and all of those that have served, just the way we are supposed to do it. I think I can take enough time out of my day attempting to be the coolest guy in the room to remove my hat, put my hand over my heart, and stand at attention for a couple of minutes at a sporting event. If you don't want to do that, fine. I still have the right to call you a douche for not doing so. See how that whole freedom of speech/expression thing works both ways?

I really don't think he wanted to be out there for the second half. For whatever reason he looked like he'd seen a ghost in the shots of him leading up to halftime.

Which is weird because the way Carolina's defense was playing it wouldn't have taken much out of his unit -- at all -- to win the game.

Seen fighters quit in the ring when they know they're beat but that's an individual thing. I can't recall seeing an NFL star QB -- MVP caliber -- basically quit on the field prior to last night.

Actually, your approach explains it all. I think I will go ahead and continue to be a "brainwashed clone" and show respect for our flag, our country, and all of those that have served, just the way we are supposed to do it. I think I can take enough time out of my day attempting to be the coolest guy in the room to remove my hat, put my hand over my heart, and stand at attention for a couple of minutes at a sporting event. If you don't want to do that, fine. I still have the right to call you a douche for not doing so. See how that whole freedom of speech/expression thing works both ways?
Oh I'm sure you will.. I wouldn't expect anything less.. Yet, I could care less about how you feel about my views because their mine and I wouldn't crucify anyone who didn't share them. Ya'll on the other hand.....

Oh I'm sure you will.. I wouldn't expect anything less.. Yet, I could care less about how you feel about my views because their mine and I wouldn't crucify anyone who didn't share them. Ya'll on the other hand.....

.....and yet, you felt the need to jump in this thread to crucify Du for stating his beliefs.....LMAO. Also, I am curious. Do you mean that you couldn't care less about what my views are or does that mean that you actually do care, but you just might care less now?

Hopefully this doesn't get misconstrued or anything but this is an interesting topic. These are just sort of devil's advocate type questions, especially after that recent report that the government was paying the NFL to have "patriotic" military displays/tributes and it wasn't just out of the goodness of the NFL's heart. Why do we play the national anthem before sporting events? What does a sporting event have to do with honoring the military? Is it really fair to judge someone's love of America by how they are standing during the hyperfocused moments before the most important professional night of their lives?

Again, hopefully you guys don't see this as anti-US or anti-military, big USA fan here.

Wow! What a thread. ANGRY folks!!! People see what they want to see...plain and simple. Lot of mountain out of molehills here...

GBR

Reactions: Redblood23
The whole "National Anthem at games" question is a good one...personally I like it and am sometimes moved by it...BUT in the keeping of a country where diverse views are HONORED , I would hope we would give each other grace and not name call...

.....and yet, you felt the need to jump in this thread to crucify Du for stating his beliefs.....LMAO. Also, I am curious. Do you mean that you couldn't care less about what my views are or does that mean that you actually do care, but you just might care less now?
I didn't crucify him I just asked how did he know for sure that Cam was purposely being disrespectful.. You don't think that was a bit of a reach?

Reactions: huskerj12
Hopefully this doesn't get misconstrued or anything but this is an interesting topic. These are just sort of devil's advocate type questions, especially after that recent report that the government was paying the NFL to have "patriotic" military displays/tributes and it wasn't just out of the goodness of the NFL's heart. Why do we play the national anthem before sporting events? What does a sporting event have to do with honoring the military? Is it really fair to judge someone's love of America by how they are standing during the hyperfocused moments before the most important professional night of their lives?

Again, hopefully you guys don't see this as anti-US or anti-military, big USA fan here.
And that's all I was saying.

Reactions: seattle-sker
I didn't crucify him I just asked how did he know for sure that Cam was purposely being disrespectful.. You don't think that was a bit of a reach?

So, he now cannot hear that the National Anthem is being sung? Purposeful or not, it is disrespectful.

In regards to whether or not the National Anthem should even be played at games....fine. Go ahead and debate that. But as of right now, it is. I just don't think claiming ignorance should mean that it is okay to not show the proper respect during the Anthem.

Pre-game, in-game and post-game, I think it is pretty obvious that Cam showed the world his true colors.

I think it's obvious that people see what they want to see...perhaps your colors are showing as well.

GBR

I think it's obvious that people see what they want to see...perhaps your colors are showing as well.

GBR

Yep, you are damn right they are. I show respect during the National Anthem, never went out of my way to bring the "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!" type of attention to myself during a game, and was gracious in defeat.

It's like the great philosopher band Thin Lizzy always said, " and If the boys wanna fight you better let 'em"

Still love "The Cowboy Song." But of course I can't love a song sung by an AA gentleman, because dumbshit above is convinced that I'm a Cam "hater" because of the color of his skin. It makes me sad, because we can no longer perform "Tears of A Clown" in our band. And my love of Motown? Well, that's gotta end too.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerDana
"It's your headache". I don't think he sounds like the one with the headache in this thread IMO...

This thread reads out like a scene from "Falling Down"

GBR

imrs.php

Cam's shoes he wore to warm up in yesterday ...RollingLaugh

"It's your headache". I don't think he sounds like the one with the headache in this thread IMO...

This thread reads out like a scene from "Falling Down"GBR

I suppose it reads however you would like it to read. To me it reads like someone taking issue with the actions of a football player that showed a lack of respect for those that fought for our country, and then an idiot making the quantum leap to racism. Pretty cut and dried to me.

imrs.php

Cam's shoes he wore to warm up in yesterday ...RollingLaugh

Honestly, I don't care what he wears. He's a great player, as evidenced by the landslide MVP voting. I just don't like what he did during the National Anthem. And his pouting during the postgame presser wasn't very becoming of him either. I understand disappointment, but play the part, man. You've been a great inspiration to kids all over. Don't tarnish that.

You can take your veiled racist bullshit post and shove it up your ass, fk up! You know exactly what you were accusing me of. Hey, it's your headache that you don't have pride in your country, or those that fought for your opportunity to act like a complete jackass on a website. Wear it proudly, loser.
Generalizing again huh? I rest my case.. I sense much hate in this one..

Where in the world is the racism claim you keep talking about Hoosker?

Still love "The Cowboy Song." But of course I can't love a song sung by an AA gentleman, because dumbshit above is convinced that I'm a Cam "hater" because of the color of his skin. It makes me sad, because we can no longer perform "Tears of A Clown" in our band. And my love of Motown? Well, that's gotta end too.

Have you heard the Cowboy song done by Anthrax. Great cover, and much better than TL.

Generalizing again huh? I rest my case.. I sense much hate in this one..

Backpedaling, I see. Sorry, but your post is saved, for months and months for all to see. You're the boy who cried wolf of HOL.

You know what IS a shame. That while you are wasting everyone's time with your nonsensical accusations of someone whose ideals you are completely oblivious to, there is actual overt racism taking place in the world that does require attention. You are minimizing the attention that should be called to actual repression by your meaningless blather. Give yourself a pat on the back, for a misdirected job well done.

Have you heard the Cowboy song done by Anthrax. Great cover, and much better than TL.

I haven't. I will check it out, but the original was a classic. If it's better than that, I would have to tip my hat to Anthrax.

I haven't. I will check it out, but the original was a classic. If it's better than that, I would have to tip my hat to Anthrax.

In full agreement, just liked how it was a little heavier. It's not too far of a deviation, just seems a little more hard hitting. Check it out, and let me know if I'm an idiot or not. Smokin

Just read through it again, still didn't find it. Sorry man. I like Husker Du though!

ADVERTISEMENT