ADVERTISEMENT

You are Trev

A note on Deion and UNL.

In 1988, I was based out of Gainesville, covering the Gators for the Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale. On Tuesdays, I'd drive to Tallahassee to find a feature story out of the Seminoles.

My time in Tally usually started with a few minutes in Bobby Bowden's office. He didn't know me at all before then, but he gave me some of his time. At the first meeting, he asked where I went to college, and after that he'd always note what a wonderful place Lincoln was, and that he hoped he could build FSU into a program that emulated the Huskers. We all know that because we've read it from Bobby in NU promotional materials and media guides.

He took teams to Lincoln in 1980, 1981, 1985 and 1986, winning in 1980 and 1985. Deion was on those '85 and '86 squads during his first two years in Tallahassee. He also played against the Huskers in that excruciating Fiesta Bowl loss after the 1987 season. (Damn you, Tyreese Knox, and whichever official threw that OPI penalty in the last minute.)

Then I'd head to the players training table for pre-scheduled interviews and some 1980s-style "healthy" Southern grub.

Deion always sat at the head of a table overstuffed with as many athletes could squeeze next to him, just to listen to him talk. The topic could be anything, but always had everybody's attention in the room.

If I was scheduled to interview Deion, I felt guilty pulling him away from his audience, and if it was somebody else at that table, I felt guilty pulling them away from Deion.

This anecdote has nothing to do with anything other than to say Deion knows a lot about Nebraska, he's played twice in front of raucous crowds at Memorial Stadium, and against Nebraska three times. He was also extremely close to his former head coach.

Maybe that sincere affection for Lincoln rubbed off on Deion.

I'm living in that fantasy world until the bubble bursts.

$10m/yr - Lane Kiffin
Ask Chris Peterson…ask again…then ask one last time. $10m/yr
Wittingham- $10m/yr

Meh. I’m not even sure what is reasonable anymore, especially for a once proud former blue blood trying to right the ship.
Ya know, throwing money at “can’t miss” coaches doesn’t seem to be working. While everyone said “well these guys make or break your team” the insane amounts of money (I believe) will lead to more Scott Frost situations where they are gifted the lottery and treated like Gods and we expect them to still coach like their life depends on it. Without any motivation like win or you may lose this golden goose job, I think we will continue to see flame outs.

Ya know, throwing money at “can’t miss” coaches doesn’t seem to be working. While everyone said “well these guys make or break your team” the insane amounts of money (I believe) will lead to more Scott Frost situations where they are gifted the lottery and treated like Gods and we expect them to still coach like their life depends on it. Without any motivation like win or you may lose this golden goose job, I think we will continue to see flame outs.
True .. no one really knows.

Look at Tenn.. I thought a dumb hire but it worked out quite well for them.

I will say if you can get Urb for 20 mil.. we take it!

Assuming MJ doesn't somehow get the job. If you were Trev who would be your top 3 Reasonable HC targets? Why? And how much money would you offer?

Im curious because I dont know who I would trust with keys to this thing anymore.

There are lots of coaches out there who could get us to a respectable level like 7 or 8 wins in 2-3 years. However, one problem we have here is the loss of enthusiasm for the program. Even Mickey was yawning during the Michigan game.

We need a hire where people will not be able to wait for the spring game. Somebody who can bring in coaches and talent year 1. And it can be done, just look at LSU and USC.

That coach is Prime Time. Can you imagine the excitement in the air when he starts bring in 4&5 star transfers who will start next September. We need a complete reset not just with the coaches and players, but with the states attitude also.

Headline in Papers all over Nebraska: “It’s Prime Time!”

We as fans also have to stop paying what we do to send the message to the Athletic Dept. that prices and product have to be close.
. These last 8 years have left me very tired of spending Saturdays in Lincoln when I could simply shut off the TV at a certain point. Hope for better has kept me on my season tickets, but hope has never been lower than it is right now.
Used to be, fans would get frustrated and others could say, "Fine, give up your tix, someone else will scoop them right up. But that's not true anymore. These times have zero secondary market value. I really hope that Trev understands the many levels and layers by which he must get this right.
I haven't been to a game for years , I can't put money towards that shit show. We are a phuking embarrassing joke now.

Reactions: Minn1954
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT