ADVERTISEMENT

You are Trev

HuskerLegion

Redshirt Freshman
Jan 31, 2011
Assuming MJ doesn't somehow get the job. If you were Trev who would be your top 3 Reasonable HC targets? Why? And how much money would you offer?

Im curious because I dont know who I would trust with keys to this thing anymore.

$10m/yr - Lane Kiffin
Ask Chris Peterson…ask again…then ask one last time. $10m/yr
Wittingham- $10m/yr

Meh. I’m not even sure what is reasonable anymore, especially for a once proud former blue blood trying to right the ship.

Reactions: Chuck003
Define reasonable.

I wouldn't hire Campbell over Mickey just because Mickey is an unknown and Campbell is what I'd call a proven unwinner.

I'm dropping bags of cash for a winner. 70+ win%.

I don't care who they bring in or what offense or defense. Win football games coach. That's it.

aranda 9.5 mill
rhule 9 mill
stoops 9 mill
kiffen 9 mill
gruden 9 mill
leopold 8 mill
freeze 8 mill
mickey 7 mill
campbell 7 mill
monken 7 mill
bill 7 mill
me 4 mill (and gas money from omaha)

(no jimbo/msu coach type retirement plan)

Last edited:
At this point, with the amount of money the football program brings in, and the amount of money that may be lost if the wrong hire is made, it’s time for the University as a whole to pony up and pay whatever it takes to get a winner. No more of this bargain shopping BS when it comes to coaches. Want to be a winner? Show you care about winning.

Coaches I would want to hire who are NOT realistic: Urban, Deion, Klieman, Wittingham

Coaches I would hire over mickey who are realistic: Lane, Peterson, Freeze

Coaches I would be ok with hiring: LL, Shaw, monken

Coaches I do not want to hire and would rather hire mickey: BoB, Rhule, campbell, stoops, Patterson, probably others.

Theres more names out there that have been mentioned, and theres a few coordinators that should lrobably be on our radar, but these names seem mentioned the most.

Reactions: thall_ and RothMatt
He's rehabbed his image for a year. Time to unleash him.
urban.gif

Urban - 20 mil
Kiffin - 13 mil
Leopold - 7 mil
Klieman- 7 mil
Rhule- 8 mil
Neon Deion - 8 mil
Mickey - 4 mil

We as fans also have to stop paying what we do to send the message to the Athletic Dept. that prices and product have to be close.
. These last 8 years have left me very tired of spending Saturdays in Lincoln when I could simply shut off the TV at a certain point. Hope for better has kept me on my season tickets, but hope has never been lower than it is right now.
Used to be, fans would get frustrated and others could say, "Fine, give up your tix, someone else will scoop them right up. But that's not true anymore. These times have zero secondary market value. I really hope that Trev understands the many levels and layers by which he must get this right.

We as fans also have to stop paying what we do to send the message to the Athletic Dept. that prices and product have to be close.
. These last 8 years have left me very tired of spending Saturdays in Lincoln when I could simply shut off the TV at a certain point. Hope for better has kept me on my season tickets, but hope has never been lower than it is right now.
Used to be, fans would get frustrated and others could say, "Fine, give up your tix, someone else will scoop them right up. But that's not true anymore. These times have zero secondary market value. I really hope that Trev understands the many levels and layers by which he must get this right.
I did'nt watch the game today, and it turned out exactly as expected...saved myself the greif...tooka nap and got to see ksu beat baylor and tcu beat texas.

Rhule
Kiffen
Leipold

I don't trust the administration in the athletic department (or UNL in general) to make a good decision regarding a new football coach, though. There is nothing good happening there. At the end of the day, maybe we would be better off if they just forgot about it, and let MJ become HC through acclamation. Raise his pay to $3 million with bonuses for winning games. Maybe MJ knows people to staff this train wreck; maybe not, but he should not trust NU athletic department staff for advice. Maybe MJ knows coaches (that aren't chuckleheads) that want a challenge. The NU athletic department is staffed by overpaid idiots that would likely fail at Chadron State.

NU fans should be much, much more demanding. We spend millions of dollars to support a program, and there are very highly paid "professionals" that are just milking this cash cow. That has to end, and the problem starts right at the very top. They are paid to perform, and they haven't done that for years. They just continue to milk that cow, because everyone blames the coaches and staff they employ. It's the administrators and directors that have destroyed this program.

Hey, I didn't like Frost from Day 1. He was arrogant, entitled, and way over-promoted. I saw him as a fraud, and I still think he was, but Alberts basically destroyed his ambition last year. That was bizarre; according to Alberts' own account, he "forced" Frost to accept lower wages, abandon the offense, and await the axe. What was Alberts' goal, anyway? He destroyed Frost professionally, and he essentially guaranteed that this year would be a disaster. Why isn't Alberts on the chopping block? Ultimately, this is on him.

Urban, Kiffin, Peterson, Mullen, and Herman. That's it. None of the others (Lance, Monken, Mickey etc...) and all the other bullshit names matter. Being realistic, I would say pay Kiffin what he wants and get him here. If Mickey is retained by the new coach? Fine. Good. No problem. If not, I won't lose sleep over it.

Urban, Kiffin, Peterson, Mullen, and Herman. That's it. None of the others (Lance, Monken, Mickey etc...) and all the other bullshit names matter. Being realistic, I would say pay Kiffin what he wants and get him here. If Mickey is retained by the new coach? Fine. Good. No problem. If not, I won't lose sleep over it.
Mullen didn't recruit well at Florida. No thanks.

At this point, with the amount of money the football program brings in, and the amount of money that may be lost if the wrong hire is made, it’s time for the University as a whole to pony up and pay whatever it takes to get a winner. No more of this bargain shopping BS when it comes to coaches. Want to be a winner? Show you care about winning.
When Frost was hired he was the third highest paid coach in the BIG, and the 10th highest paid coach in college football, with just 2 years of HC experience. How is that bargain shopping?

When Frost was hired he was the third highest paid coach in the BIG, and the 10th highest paid coach in college football, with just 2 years of HC experience. How is that bargain shopping?
This. Money is NOT the only issue. There are plenty of talented coaches that can manage this program, and most of them are not well known. It doesn't take a genius to be a football coach, but it does take talent and wisdom to assemble a winning staff and identify quality team players. Maybe MJ is such a person, but there is really no way to know until it happens. I do know this, however; the next coach will have to overcome a lot of negative images of Nebraska. It's not just the football program, it's everything. Recruiting has gotten a lot tougher over the last dozen years or so. There are many talented players (and students in general) that are not willing to move to Lincoln, Nebraska, given other choices. I'll let you figure out why.

I am Trev…my next decision is to take the “winning tradition” patch off the uniforms. go big or go home, Trev. Can’t mess this hire up.

Coaches I would want to hire who are NOT realistic: Urban, Deion, Klieman, Wittingham

Coaches I would hire over mickey who are realistic: Lane, Peterson, Freeze

Coaches I would be ok with hiring: LL, Shaw, monken

Coaches I do not want to hire and would rather hire mickey: BoB, Rhule, campbell, stoops, Patterson, probably others.

Theres more names out there that have been mentioned, and theres a few coordinators that should lrobably be on our radar, but these names seem mentioned the most.
This guy gets it!

Define reasonable.

I wouldn't hire Campbell over Mickey just because Mickey is an unknown and Campbell is what I'd call a proven unwinner.

I don't care who they bring in or what offense or defense. Win football games coach. That's it.
Not someone like Urban or Dabo. Basically nobody that is an impossible get.

Define reasonable.

Agreed on MC but this hypothetical is a scenario where for whatever reason MJ is not being hired.

aranda 9.5 mill
rhule 9 mill
stoops 9 mill
kiffen 9 mill
gruden 9 mill
leopold 8 mill
freeze 8 mill
mickey 7 mill
campbell 7 mill
monken 7 mill
bill 7 mill
me 4 mill (and gas money from omaha)

(no jimbo/msu coach type retirement plan)
Hey nobody knows for sure but you could be an upgrade over SF.

Reactions: redwine65
Rhule
Kiffen
Leipold

I don't trust the administration in the athletic department (or UNL in general) to make a good decision regarding a new football coach, though. There is nothing good happening there. At the end of the day, maybe we would be better off if they just forgot about it, and let MJ become HC through acclamation. Raise his pay to $3 million with bonuses for winning games. Maybe MJ knows people to staff this train wreck; maybe not, but he should not trust NU athletic department staff for advice. Maybe MJ knows coaches (that aren't chuckleheads) that want a challenge. The NU athletic department is staffed by overpaid idiots that would likely fail at Chadron State.

NU fans should be much, much more demanding. We spend millions of dollars to support a program, and there are very highly paid "professionals" that are just milking this cash cow. That has to end, and the problem starts right at the very top. They are paid to perform, and they haven't done that for years. They just continue to milk that cow, because everyone blames the coaches and staff they employ. It's the administrators and directors that have destroyed this program.

Hey, I didn't like Frost from Day 1. He was arrogant, entitled, and way over-promoted. I saw him as a fraud, and I still think he was, but Alberts basically destroyed his ambition last year. That was bizarre; according to Alberts' own account, he "forced" Frost to accept lower wages, abandon the offense, and await the axe. What was Alberts' goal, anyway? He destroyed Frost professionally, and he essentially guaranteed that this year would be a disaster. Why isn't Alberts on the chopping block? Ultimately, this is on

Rhule
Kiffen
Leipold

Hey, I didn't like Frost from Day 1. He was arrogant, entitled, and way over-promoted. I saw him as a fraud, and I still think he was, but Alberts basically destroyed his ambition last year. That was bizarre; according to Alberts' own account, he "forced" Frost to accept lower wages, abandon the offense, and await the axe. What was Alberts' goal, anyway? He destroyed Frost professionally, and he essentially guaranteed that this year would be a disaster. Why isn't Alberts on the chopping block? Ultimately, this is on him.
2 Reasons I can think of 1 is maybe booster pressure to give SF 1 more shot. 2 maybe he Trev didnt feel like the right guy was available at the time. Hopefully somecday soon we will be winning again and none of that will matter.

Rhule
Kiffen
Leipold

Much of this is true except for the part about Albert’s destroying Frost’s ambition.

Frost mismanaged the program and the record speaks for itself. Frost was very much on the chopping block last year and presented a plan to Albert’s to change the Offensive staff and change the terms of his salary. It was Frost’s plan. Trev was skeptical and said that there was no empirical evidence that it would work but did it on faith (and I’m sure important people at NU ‘asked’ it of him to give Frost one last chance).

Reactions: headcard
Those are my top names. Need a guy with a dynamic offense and all of those coaches have shown that exact thing at some point in their careers. Defense isn't going to differentiate us in the Big 10. The conference has 5 of the top 10 defenses in the country. We need a dynamic offense to blow this conference wide open and compete with Ohio State each year at the top.

Reactions: Chuck003
Rhule
Kiffen
Leipold

Because some of the boosters were Frosturbators and if Trev fired Frost last season then those Frosturbators would have stopped donating their money to the athletic department. Part of the Athletic Director's job is to keep the boosters happy, so Trev did what he had to do to keep the Frosturbators happy.

Mullen didn't recruit well at Florida. No thanks.
BS. He recruited top 10 classes in each one of his full seasons. During the actual season he finished in the top 15 3 of 4 times.

Here's his final rankings during his 4 years at Florida:
NR

Mullen would be a phenomenal hire, his resume is as good as any out there, and he has the offensive mind we need to blow this conference open. I don't know where these myths came from that Mullen's not a good coach or couldn't recruit, but they’re ****ing dumb.

I worry about BOB. I keep hearing hes very pass happy. I havent paid much attention to him to be fair.

BS. He recruited top 10 classes in each one of his full seasons. During the actual season he finished in the top 15 3 of 4 times.

Here's his final rankings during his 4 years at Florida:
NR

Mullen would be a phenomenal hire, his resume is as good as any out there, and he has the offensive mind we need to blow this conference open. I don't know where these myths came from that Mullen's not a good coach or couldn't recruit, but they’re ****ing dumb.
Skeptical of a guy who can't win at Florida when they are loaded with talent. If Mullen is so good why did Florida tank when he had a top 10 recruiting class?

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT