ADVERTISEMENT

WOW

If this is a loss it is on both sides of the ball! Defense has had chances for big stops and failed several times. Offense just bad all day also!

The D played fine minus a couple of big plays. The O, especially the O line, needs a firm talking to. We win that game if we sustain drives and dont make constant mistakes.

hahahahaha.. a big part of it is the defense

the defensive scheme is a shootout mentality

But your offense is running Bunch... no big scoring threat.

but you keep running your shootout defense..

In the end, they scored more than we did.

hahahahaha.. a big part of it is the defense

the defensive scheme is a shootout mentality

But your offense is running Bunch... no big scoring threat.

but you keep running your shootout defense..

In the end, they scored more than we did.
You do realize Wisconsin, who is known for their defense, runs an aggressive style attacking 3-4.

You do realize Wisconsin, who is known for their defense, runs an aggressive style attacking 3-4.
I don't care about Wisconsin.

The schemes SF runs, are designed to be run in tandem. One side of that equation isn't working, and it starts to get ugly.

We should have beat the snot out of those guys today and we likely could have shut them out under a dif approach.

we need help in all phases.
weve been mistake prone since the turn of the millenia, its not something that just goes away.
the raw deal with QBs has been significant.

I don't care about Wisconsin.

The schemes SF runs, are designed to be run in tandem. One side of that equation isn't working, and it starts to get ugly.

We should have beat the snot out of those guys today and we likely could have shut them out under a dif approach.
But you are complaining about an aggressive defensive scheme that many successful programs run. It is to easy to just blame the scheme for the loss. Penalties and turnovers will cause more teams to lose more times than scheme. People don't want to admit it but these teams have been better than NU the last 4 years, that is the reality. If we are going to win games we cannot continue to turn the ball over 3x a game.

Reactions: tpmcg
But you are complaining about an aggressive defensive scheme that many successful programs run. It is to easy to just blame the scheme for the loss. Penalties and turnovers will cause more teams to lose more times than scheme. People don't want to admit it but these teams have been better than NU the last 4 years, that is the reality. If we are going to win games we cannot continue to turn the ball over 3x a game.
I agree with that part.. can't turn the ball over, but for most of the game, the turnovers were equal today with both teams, except for that last interception at the end.

I agree with that part.. can't turn the ball over, but for most of the game, the turnovers were equal today with both teams, except for that last interception at the end.
Turnovers are really only equal if the outcome from the turnovers is the same for both teams. A pick six for example is not the same if a turnover does not lead to score. Sometimes a turnover can be a 14 point swing if a team is about to score and then turns it over for a touchdown. What people need to say is turnovers that change momentum will impact the game the most imo.

Reactions: Kauz
My beef would probably land more on offensive coaches over defensive ones.

If you know Troy is hitting gaps hard, you have to have some complex designs to get screens set up. Against CU, they weren’t killing clock when Bunch came in. Now today, they didn’t try to account for what Troy was doing defensively.

That said, I’m not mad at them - just suggesting if you’re to pick a side to point a finger at, the defensive coaches are not the ones.

I don't think it is our scheme at all. What I saw in the game today is that we do not have offensive lineman that can sustain blocks and pick up different blitz packages that are complicated. We also still do not have defensive lineman that can get off of blocks and really clog the middle. It all begins in the trenches. With better offensive line play we could have run the ball better and more often, which would have given Bunch some wide open receivers to toss it to off of play action. But even though we ran here and there with some moderate success, we would follow up a good run with two clunkers. Ugh

My beef would probably land more on offensive coaches over defensive ones.

If you know Troy is hitting gaps hard, you have to have some complex designs to get screens set up. Against CU, they weren’t killing clock when Bunch came in. Now today, they didn’t try to account for what Troy was doing defensively.

That said, I’m not mad at them - just suggesting if you’re to pick a side to point a finger at, the defensive coaches are not the ones.
They did not try to account for what Troy was doing? How do you know that? Just because our offense sputtered it does not mean the coaches did not see what was happening. Not much a coach can do when your line is whiffing on basic run blocks

Reactions: bshirt73
The defense as a whole is mediocre at best......the line and linebackers play well at times (with some break downs)...the defensive backs are terrible (Bootle has been playing fine but the rest...not so much)

Then let's talk about play calling......

I don't think it is our scheme at all. What I saw in the game today is that we do not have offensive lineman that can sustain blocks and pick up different blitz packages that are complicated. We also still do not have defensive lineman that can get off of blocks and really clog the middle. It all begins in the trenches. With better offensive line play we could have run the ball better and more often, which would have given Bunch some wide open receivers to toss it to off of play action. But even though we ran here and there with some moderate success, we would follow up a good run with two clunkers. Ugh
I agree 100%, no consistency with the running game today.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Should have named Gebbia starter anticipating Martinez being fragile and getting hurt. We’d be 2-0 right now.

Call me # captain hindsight
They should have started the better QB. I think they did. They got played by Gebbia who said all of the right things during camp, knowing it would help his chances. But he had an exit plan all along.
Shit happens. Time to move on.

Reactions: Sinomatic
They should have started the better QB. I think they did. They got played by Gebbia who said all of the right things during camp, knowing it would help his chances. But he had an exit plan all along.
Shit happens. Time to move on.
I also think today shows you why Martinez won the starting job, his running ability against Colorado makes everyone on offense that much better. I believe had he been healthy we win today.

I also think today shows you why Martinez won the starting job, his running ability against Colorado makes everyone on offense that much better. I believe had he been healthy we win today.
I agree. All by himself with his legs he would have stretched that defense and put them on their heels on every play. Instead, they just loaded up against our running backs

Offensive line wasn’t asked to win the game vs Colorado. Spreading the field and stretching the defense with a qb like AM take pressure off the oline. With AM out, Troy loaded the box and gave us the underneath passing routes...Frost said we weren’t ready to commit to that. We asked the offensive line to win a game against a defense that wanted to take away the run. We basically went Matt Turman vs Kstate (not quite that extreme but that kind of mindset). Our offensive line wasn’t up for the challenge. They didn’t get worse the last week, they were just asked to do more and couldn’t get it done.

I agree. All by himself with his legs he would have stretched that defense and put them on their heels on every play. Instead, they just loaded up against our running backs

Additionally at no time did Troy respect out ability to stretch the field with the deep ball. Nor should the have.

I think that's why Washington was getting more work.

Needed to have a homerun threat in the game somewhere. It's not Bell. It's not ozigbo. If our QB can't stretch the field, we are not very hard to defend

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT