ADVERTISEMENT

WOW! This is the show we get to look forward to...

The first three quarters were a mess and it seemed like Riley knew it. Fortunately, they stuck with their game plan. At the end of Q3, Fresno didn't want to play anymore. I liked how they physically beat this team down.

Reactions: ExxHusker
Maybe I'm crazy but I thought we looked pretty dominant in the first half. Just started shooting ourselves in the foot and allowed them to hang around.

You're right. We dominated the first half. A blocked punt and extremely conservative play calling kept it close. We only had TA throw 10 times all game. The staff was crazy conservative (I loved it, boring, but for the situation, I loved it).

The only 'red flags' I saw were: it didn't look like we rotates DTs all game (at least not in the first three quarters) and our O-Line didn't dominate. Played good enough, but wasn't dominate.

By the end of the game, I was actually pretty pleased with the outcome. Yeah, it was pretty sloppy the first half, but things improved the 2nd half, and I was pleased with how the pass defense played for most of the game.

And a team from California generally has decent talent. Even a lower level California D1 school has decent talent. And how can you argue with 43 - 10. We pasted them, after being lackluster the first half.

By the end of the game, I was actually pretty pleased with the outcome. Yeah, it was pretty sloppy the first half, but things improved the 2nd half, and I was pleased with how the pass defense played for most of the game.

And a team from California generally has decent talent. Even a lower level California D1 school has decent talent. And how can you argue with 43 - 10. We pasted them, after being lackluster the first half.
Even in the first half I didn't think we played terrible, but made a few critical mistakes that cost us points. I also think that they didn't know for sure what they were going to see from Fresno offensively and defensively and did a good job of making adjustments and wearing them down.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Some people seem to forget there are two halves to a game. It never ceases to amaze me how people think they can(and do) judge a game solely by the first half. We play sloppy in the first half of the first game and there are people ready to give up on the season. If it isn't clear already it should be by now that there are people that literally love to find anything to pi$$ and moan about with the team and then conveniently disappear when things change in the game and they don't have anything to complain about anymore.

It's called being non-relevant for so long that you will latch onto anything to give you a glimmer of hope for the future - even a coach that has never coached a championship team of any type.
Can you point out what coach you are talking about? Either you don't know all of Riley's coaching or you are an idiot. Before you start backtracking on your post, you do say a championship team of any type.

Keeping in mind this is game freaking one, and we won it going away, and several other high profile programs would trade places with us right now already, I'm gonna go ahead and keep getting excited about game days and tune in for the rest of the season. Not sure what the OP was expecting, but I think most fans are more than fine with what we saw last night. Nobody is saying there aren't some things to work on, but if you were expecting something totally different that's a you problem.

My takeaways from the game:
1. It is a solid win. I will take it. Better than last year's start
2. Happy to see us pound the rock
3. Tre Bryant will be our starter before long
4. Westerkamp is not 100%
5. Pierson-el is not 100%
6. Defense was solid against the run
7. Defense is still struggling in the secondary. We missed our safeties.
8. Worried about the punting
9. Offensive line was decent, but not dominant. A work in progress
10. Maurice and Stoltenberg were studs
11. No strong rush from front four but we did blitz effectively.
12. Glad Lamar is on our team
13. Worried that the offensive recruits may have been disappointed with how little we passed. But I am sure the coaches explained why. Still ...
14. Fresno and their staff have some class. Good folks. I wish them well

The first half was just bizarre. I felt like we had maybe 4 possessions and then boom, it was halftime. I'm not sure the ultra-conservative game plan will work against the OSU's of the world, but I think it physically wore Fresno down last night. Solid win #100 for coach.

You're right. We dominated the first half. A blocked punt and extremely conservative play calling kept it close. We only had TA throw 10 times all game. The staff was crazy conservative (I loved it, boring, but for the situation, I loved it).

The total yards for both teams were almost identical. But, yeah, one could easily see who the more talented team was. We had to ASSUME Nebraska would start to pull away, but I remember thinking that many times last season, too.

I like how many in here are gloating, using the benefit of hindsight. If you weren't worried about the outcome after the first half, then you're delusional. I'm stoked about how everything turned out, but after a 5-7 regular season, I was like, "here we go again..."

I wasn't concerned as I felt we were controlling. I like the fact after half we shut them out and got things done, 29-0 in 2nd half, fairly conservative game plan. Plenty to work on but better foundation. I felt the D had better reactions and moved well.

vanilla offensive game plan - 3 new ol faces starting and 1 position change. some of what I saw was disconcerting, but it should get better.

defense seemed to be keeping everything in front of them - it worked well in the run game and no bombs. I thought their receivers were legit and their freshman qb is going to get better, glad we played them now.

I thought we looked okay. We showed some flashes on offense and defense. In a lot of ways, our offense reminded me of 2014 again. We are somewhat limited in what we can do with Tommy, but I thought he played a good game as well. He was smart with the ball, except that one time over the middle, that was a bit scary. I'd like to see him go deep once a quarter if possible. I would agree with the analyst, that he looks to be more accurate when on the run vs just hanging in the pocket. I also think we will pass more as the season goes along.

All the backs looked good. Newby looked more decisive, Ozigbo looked improved all around, and Tre has a nice burst and ran tough.. He looked faster than what I expected.

I thought our receivers played well at times, and was good to see Alonzo get the ball on a few sweeps. Those looked like good plays.

Defensively, they picked on Jackson a few times, but he will get better because of it. I think it's going to be a work in progress. Sometimes we got pressure, while other times we did not, but I thought they played hard.

Fresno State played hard too and while they are lacking in talent by comparison, I thought they looked better than a 3-9 team. If they continue to play hard, they will be a good team this year.

I was also glad to see that Mike was not happy with aspects of the game. The penalties and lack of production on offense at times was not good. Again, on offense, if felt like 2014 at times in that TA is just sort of limited in what he can do.

Was glad to see Fyfe get in there and zip the ball around. He can help open up a bit of the short to intermediate passing game, and would like to see him get a series or two each game if possible, just to keep the defenses honest.

I think we have a lot to look forward to. I don't think we are a 10 win team this year, but it's only game 1, so if they work hard and improve we have the inherent talent to make it to Indy.

Longer term, I think Mike is doing the best he can with the players he has, but there will be a different feel to 2017. If any recruits are worried about running too much (which we kind of did) things will look a lot different next year with a more pro style QB.

Will be interested in hearing how the recruits liked their visit.

Go Big Red.

Reactions: HuskerO and timnsun
I think it's going to be a couple of games of the staff meshing the run and pass more. It wasn't needed for the most part. The first half seemed to just be a challenge to the offensive line to beat up Fresno. That would have been fine, but the sequence of mistakes made it look otherwise

Liked- commitment to the run even when the game was close. Last year we would have 550 yards and 30 points and lose the game as we had some int's. This game we have 400 yards but score 40 points and win going away. Yes it was Fresno but I liked the coaches thinking here. Secondly I loved that Riley was not happy, at OSU at 30 Pt plus win would be celebrated at NU if you want to win titles then there is lot to fix

Hated - why does Banker insist on putting these corners on man to man coverage. He did it last year and now he did it with Lamar this game rather than getting him some confidence and experience. He is so committed to his scheme, he cant adjust based on personnel. Banker needs really look at his players and ask if they can do what he is asking. Two, special teams really need to be looked at , we miss Sam to be sure but the blocking on the punt was not correct and this alignment on extra points seems to be a bit dumb imo

Overall much better than last year but the opponent was way worse to.

Last edited:
1st game of the year, I thought we looked pretty good. We won convincingly. We won't know how good our team will be until the Oregon game. And that is a good thing.

I thought we looked okay. We showed some flashes on offense and defense. In a lot of ways, our offense reminded me of 2014 again. We are somewhat limited in what we can do with Tommy, but I thought he played a good game as well. He was smart with the ball, except that one time over the middle, that was a bit scary. I'd like to see him go deep once a quarter if possible. I would agree with the analyst, that he looks to be more accurate when on the run vs just hanging in the pocket. I also think we will pass more as the season goes along.

All the backs looked good. Newby looked more decisive, Ozigbo looked improved all around, and Tre has a nice burst and ran tough.. He looked faster than what I expected.

I thought our receivers played well at times, and was good to see Alonzo get the ball on a few sweeps. Those looked like good plays.

Defensively, they picked on Jackson a few times, but he will get better because of it. I think it's going to be a work in progress. Sometimes we got pressure, while other times we did not, but I thought they played hard.

Fresno State played hard too and while they are lacking in talent by comparison, I thought they looked better than a 3-9 team. If they continue to play hard, they will be a good team this year.

I was also glad to see that Mike was not happy with aspects of the game. The penalties and lack of production on offense at times was not good. Again, on offense, if felt like 2014 at times in that TA is just sort of limited in what he can do.

Was glad to see Fyfe get in there and zip the ball around. He can help open up a bit of the short to intermediate passing game, and would like to see him get a series or two each game if possible, just to keep the defenses honest.

I think we have a lot to look forward to. I don't think we are a 10 win team this year, but it's only game 1, so if they work hard and improve we have the inherent talent to make it to Indy.

Longer term, I think Mike is doing the best he can with the players he has, but there will be a different feel to 2017. If any recruits are worried about running too much (which we kind of did) things will look a lot different next year with a more pro style QB.

Will be interested in hearing how the recruits liked their visit.

Go Big Red.
Solid post.

I like how many in here are gloating, using the benefit of hindsight. If you weren't worried about the outcome after the first half, then you're delusional. I'm stoked about how everything turned out, but after a 5-7 regular season, I was like, "here we go again..."

I like how many in here were seething, yourself included, when the entire game had not been played. You chimed right in when describing Coach Riley as a mistake. Of course, there could not just happen to be reasons that this team did not dominate in all fashions early on could there? I think all you haters know damn well the issues that this team has, but seem to place all the blame on the hiring of Riley. I mean I could go find all your quotes and likes during last night's game to back up my claim if you like.

Reactions: SOHusker11
My takeaways from the game:
1. It is a solid win. I will take it. Better than last year's start
2. Happy to see us pound the rock
3. Tre Bryant will be our starter before long
4. Westerkamp is not 100%
5. Pierson-el is not 100%
6. Defense was solid against the run
7. Defense is still struggling in the secondary. We missed our safeties.
8. Worried about the punting
9. Offensive line was decent, but not dominant. A work in progress
10. Maurice and Stoltenberg were studs
11. No strong rush from front four but we did blitz effectively.
12. Glad Lamar is on our team
13. Worried that the offensive recruits may have been disappointed with how little we passed. But I am sure the coaches explained why. Still ...
14. Fresno and their staff have some class. Good folks. I wish them well
Agreed to all. T Newby is a decent RB but I think his Senior year will be spent watching two other guys split most of the carries. We will see how the secondary plays when Gerry gets back.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Look this is clearly a "let's just run the ball, win and get out of here" game plan. No way we throw this little against better teams
Playoffs - here we come!!!

We looked very talented (playoff talented)while keeping our gameplan very vanilla. Fresno State was throwing everything at us to get the win but we just stayed focused and won big.

that would actually be a good handle ...I admit, I chuckled.

but yes, the bo birds were out early...

Agreed to all. T Newby is a decent RB but I think his Senior year will be spent watching two other guys split most of the carries. We will see how the secondary plays when Gerry gets back.
Newby showed more push then I've seen from him in the past.

Liked what I saw from Tommy. No turnovers. I still have serious concerns about Bankers defense due to the easy pitch and catch we were giving up and the running lanes the QB had to scramble. I will give him the benefit of doubt as we probably weren't showing much. Offensively as well seemed very vanilla.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I never said the sky was falling. I said I was perturbed by the first half performance.

And you calling me out is a joke. And supposedly against the rules, seeing as you admitted to doing such.

Go find my posts from last night, and make sure to use hindsight to make yourself seem as if you are some sort of half-assed seer.

I did not call you out of the blue. I quoted you and said you were one of those last night. And yes you were. With pitchfork in hand.

Boxes, @OkeyDokeyNU is one of those HPH guys.
Rover, I have never been to that site, nor am I a poster there. Not everyone who disagrees with virtually everything you say is a pro-pelini person. You, however, are a board joke, and I'm pretty sure you have some sort of learning disability.

That, or you are one, very dedicated troll. It's one or ther other. And I'm voting for the former.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I did not call you out of the blue. I quoted you and said you were one of those last night. And yes you were. With pitchfork in hand.
Then go find my "pitchfork" esque posts, dude. Until then, your claims are nothing but hearsay.

So, he's like that mayhem guy from the Allstate commercials?
So, he's like that mayhem guy from the Allstate commercials?

Yep.
tumblr_mbltxjX58O1qdbu6mo4_250.gif

Rover, I have never been to that site, nor am I a poster there. Not everyone who disagrees with virtually everything you say is a pro-pelini person. You, however, are a board joke, and I'm pretty sure you have some sort of learning disability.

That, or you are one, very dedicated troll. It's one or ther other. And I'm voting for the former.

56313379.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT