ADVERTISEMENT

Worst thing to happen to Nebraska Fan's. Twitter.

WX Chief

Walk On
Dec 30, 2005
After hearing the announcements from the Army game today. I came to a conclusion. Following all this recruit commitment news is a waste of time. Look at the comment from Holmes. He was a silent commit not only for one team but two teams. Recruiting has changed with Twitter and social media these days. Kids are eccentric on how many followers they can get, and what cool edits are out there. So when these 17-18 year old kids string this fan base along, you want to show your support whether helping out in voting for player of the year or whatever else the kid is asking for you to support. I remember Holmes had some charity and tweeted #GBR to get support. Guess, what we showed up in huge support. We are a great fan base, but are "Nebraska is Nice" is easily being played by a younger generation understanding what buttons to push. I'm not saying all recruits are like this but this year has been particular active with Nebraska fans supporting recruits with votes or follows. Maybe its the high profile recruit, and that is the baggage it carries with it. We need to cool down on the social media follows and wait for a kid to actually commit. Then they should be showed that "Nebraska" diehard love. I follow our committed kids in support as a fan, not because i want to know what the latest fad is. If they decommit (Robert Porcher) I unfollow them. I believe are coaches and recruiting staff have enough activity on twitter and other social media outlets to represent Nebraska. We should just wait for either a commitment or signing day before we answer to each one of these recruits requests. Just something I wanted to share, as being a military service member I believe integrity and a person's word truly define our character. Go Big Red!

Reactions: HuskerRick
I look at some posts on recruiting , but I gave up on following closely the whims of 18 year olds along time ago. although it may be fun for some, which is a-ok, I find signing day to be a much briefer way to following recruiting, and more precise

Darnay has lost over 500 followers since he committed ...would like to see how many were husker fans and then you get high school accounts like this as well

Reactions: Doniphan89
I look at some posts on recruiting , but I gave up on following closely the whims of 18 year olds along time ago. although it may be fun for some, which is a-ok, I find signing day to be a much briefer way to following recruiting, and more precise
OK-there's one thing we agree on.

Reactions: redwine65
mwulf, I unfollowed Calabasas today, not because of being upset with not getting Darnay's commitment. But just because of all the UCLA crap that was popping up on my feed.

Reactions: IndHusker7

That's why I don't worry about today or recruiting in general. I loved my team before I started reading about recruiting. In the end, things turn out the same regardless whether I get worked up over the process or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT