ADVERTISEMENT

WORST O-LINE PLAY EVER AT NEBRASKA

even if the redshirts play next year, lack of experience is likely to rear its head. wouldn't be unexpected. if it were me i'd be looking for help anywhere I could, but its obviously not my call.

They seem to love Wilson. Any chance he gets a look at Center?
Wilson was recruited as a center, so I'd say yes. Decker and Raridon are options. I think Farmer could have a real shot at center next season. Of course Gates would also be a great center but they can't afford to move him from tackle.

Wilson was recruited as a center, so I'd say yes. Decker and Raridon are options. I think Farmer could have a real shot at center next season. Of course Gates would also be a great center but they can't afford to move him from tackle.

Curious why you think Farmer and Gates would be good candidates for center. Is this an opinion? If so based on what? Has it been mentioned by coaches sometime? I do not remember ever seeing it stated. Why would they move admittedly their best guard and tackle to center when there are no apparent heirs to their positions?

Bring Barney back!! Lol sheesh. Bitch bitch bitch. The O-line has struggled, anyone who thought they were gonna dominate with a bunch of underclassmen and an utter are lying to themselves come off the ledge and be realistic. O line will be fine. Special teams needs a good hard look though. Pelini left the cupboards utterly terrifying
P.s. I wouldn't use Utter for a paper weight.. He's terrible and won't be a loss next year, but there are obviously a lack of choices

Last edited:
We return Gates, Farmer, Foster, Knevel and Conrad. Boe Wilson was on the bubble in terms of being a RS or not. Does Wilson jump Decker for the Center position, or does a guy like Farmer slide over? Could Conrad or Knevel conceivably move over to guard then?

Also, I don't know if any of you have tried to move a 300 lb guy when you've got one good ankle, but it ain't a recipe for success. Gates, Farmer and Knevel have all had nasty ankle sprains and are out there trying to get through it.

No choice but to play them at 80% because the guy behind them isn't an upgrade.

Reactions: mvknevel
Also, I don't know if any of you have tried to move a 300 lb guy when you've got one good ankle, but it ain't a recipe for success. Gates, Farmer and Knevel have all had nasty ankle sprains and are out there trying to get through it.

No choice but to play them at 80% because the guy behind them isn't an upgrade.
Yes, the problem isn't the guys gutting it out on the field. It's the guys that "aren't ready" (and who may never be ready). Thank Yahweh for guys like Conrad and Hahn, or we would be completely screwed. You gotta hope the light comes on for a couple of the RS frosh in the next six months, or that a couple of the new guys really have the goods like Gates did.

Yes, the problem isn't the guys gutting it out on the field. It's the guys that "aren't ready" (and who may never be ready). Thank Yahweh for guys like Conrad and Hahn, or we would be completely screwed. You gotta hope the light comes on for a couple of the RS frosh in the next six months, or that a couple of the new guys really have the goods like Gates did.
OL seems to be one of those things where it's a very rare case that a guy is really good on a consistent basis before he's about a RS-Soph.

The weight room aspect alone, you gotta figure minimum 2 years to take a kid from a 17 or 18 year old who is just bigger than everyone else in HS and can lean on them and get him ready to face 21 and 22 year old grown men who are 280-300 lbs of muscle. To get a guy that big and for him to learn to play football in a body that different, huge adjustment.

Very true Beav. And the thing is, there isn't any way to know who will make the adjustment. A walkon kid like Spencer Long seemed to just come out of nowhere, but I am sure the staff saw him coming a year before we did.

Curious why you think Farmer and Gates would be good candidates for center. Is this an opinion? If so based on what? Has it been mentioned by coaches sometime? I do not remember ever seeing it stated. Why would they move admittedly their best guard and tackle to center when there are no apparent heirs to their positions?
Gates was mentioned as a possible center back in the Pelini/Cotton days. He could play about any position in the line at NU. It may end up being his NFL position some day. He's very versatile. As for Farmer, I just saw a few posts about him working at center over the summer. He's a strong interior guy. It doesn't seem like a stretch. I kind of like the thought of Farmer at center. He's strong and shouldn't get bowled over like many of our centers over the past seasons. Also, it would be good to have an experienced player at center to make the calls, and Farmer seems like he's bright enough to handle it.

Reactions: AFTray
Appears that we like to stand up and wait for the defender to come to us on some running plays. Maybe the OL forgets the play and is told by Cav that if you forget, just play it safe and to pass block and play patty cake.

You're seeing that more and more around college football. On this particular play, I don't know if they were trying to sell pass for the draw. But, in general, you get that run/pass option where if the linemen release and Tommy throws it, it's a penalty. So, you get a lateral blocking to tie-up linemen, but no releasing to the second level. It's a tough assignment if the lineman doesn't know if he is trying to protect the QB or open a lane. That's still no excuse for Utter being so off-balance that a good shove puts him on his butt. Center is a tough position, but that just can't happen.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
2018 it'll be dirty.

LT Gates
LG Foster
C ______ (assume Raridon)
RG Farmer
RT Farniok/Conrad

They seem to love Wilson. Any chance he gets a look at Center?

Not sure but Gates said after practice today that he predicts Raridon as starting Center in 2017. Sorry for bumping a month old thread, wasn't sure a new thread is needed.

Every time I watch that replay, it's like the Minnesota LB has a cattle prod in each hand. Utter just flies backwards in a heap.

Reactions: WHCSC
“We get after them every day, and they’re not scared at all, and they try to hammer us as well,” senior defensive tackle Kevin Maurice said. “Individually, guys like Raridon, I think he’s going to be a really good one. He’s always aggressive.”
Decker and Raridon will be among the options at center with NU losing Dylan Utter. Conrad also worked at center, but Cavanaugh hinted Tuesday that he likes the walk-on at right tackle, where he was one of the biggest surprises this season with four starts. With the screen game a big part of the offense, Cavanaugh said Raridon can be effective because he is “so athletic and smooth getting out in space, and has great body control.” “And he’s a nasty dude,” Cavanaugh added.

Cav also said Wilson was good enough to play this year. Farniok also good, but perhaps a bit behind the other two.

I do not understand hiring an additional DB coach when our OL and DE problems are so stunning. I've been shouted down but TO had two OL coaches and two DL coaches. Until we can get some pressure a QB's and until our OL can get off their heels we are going to get run over by Iowa. DB's are not the problem.

I do not understand hiring an additional DB coach when our OL and DE problems are so stunning. I've been shouted down but TO had two OL coaches and two DL coaches. Until we can get some pressure a QB's and until our OL can get off their heels we are going to get run over by Iowa. DB's are not the problem.
Williams was brought on because he was the best recruiter available to us. His connections to California are why he's here.

Our O line and D line problems are stunning BECAUSE OF A LACK OF TALENT. I don't care who their coach is. The intent of this thread is pure stupidity and I'm pissed that somebody dredged up this piece of crap off the bottom of the cesspool instead of leaving it where it should have stayed.

I expect Tavita to get a job coaching TE/OT when the NCAA adds a spot in the off season. Agree about DE.

I think this year's OL was pretty decent until injuries showed up. We just didn't have the depth to deal with it. Next year should be better in that regard.

Our O line and D line problems are stunning BECAUSE OF A LACK OF TALENT. I don't care who their coach is. The intent of this thread is pure stupidity and I'm pissed that somebody dredged up this piece of crap off the bottom of the cesspool instead of leaving it where it should have stayed.

I got the names of a few therapists that you could talk to. Laughing

They could of recruited 1 or 2 Juco linemen last year, didn't do it. I agree the previous staff left them in bad shape but it was plain to see they had every opportunity to go after Juco kids to fix it. If people think Redshirt freshman are going to start next year and it's all fixed they are fooling themselves. it takes time for O-linemen to develop and become solid B1G linemen.

On top of all that I still don't know if Coach Cav is the answer. I'm not saying fire him I'm saying the verdict is still out. There's no reason why three of those linemen play patty cake, aren't blocking for more than 1 to 2 seconds nor do they show decent pad level or footwork. I'm not seeing improvement.
Attack attack attack; pop em back and see how hard it is to rush or maintain. Hopefully rotation has returned; all talk about the right things - but hardening of the attitudes and ignoring results, brings random to bad results. Bob Devaney brought in some jucos after going 6-4 a couple times. And according to one tackle, it was results or else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT