ADVERTISEMENT

WORST O-LINE PLAY EVER AT NEBRASKA

Interesting you bring that up. I was sitting here thinking the same thing. In year two I am having a hard time seeing the improvement. I am not convinced the talent is there across the board and injuries have not helped but we flat out get owned too many times in a game. I have my list of thre coached I have doubts about.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Never been impressed with Utter. Thought Thurston would have nailed down center with Foster, Farmer at guards. Oh well!

Reactions: Agegoneby
Just terrible. Is Decker hurt or something? There's gotta be somebody that's at least a little better than what we see out there right now.
Decker had some issues this summer. Not sure what they were, but I know it put him behind schedule. Don't know if it was injury or something personal.

Is Cavanaugh blameless because of injuries and a lack of depth?

It makes it harder to judge. The line play was pretty good the first month of the season, but as the injuries piled up, there just weren't a lot of healthy, high ability guys out there. If Gates, Foster, and Farmer had stayed healthy the whole season, the line play maybe looks like a Big Ten West Division winner.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I stopped to rewind and watch at least 5 plays because the O-Lineman got pushed over very easily. It started annoying my brother.

Appears that we like to stand up and wait for the defender to come to us on some running plays. Maybe the OL forgets the play and is told by Cav that if you forget, just play it safe and to pass block and play patty cake.

Foster got sped by a couple times. Looked slow out of his stance at times. Personally I was surprised that he started after just now coming back to practice this week.

Crap holding call on Foster in 2nd half, rewound it and watched several times (Foster was 100% innocent) and it was on Farmer (closest thing you could call a hold anyways).

No doubt next year will be better as it can't get much worse (yes I know, injuries). Thinking 2018 will be better though.

Only linemen with nastyness is Gates.

Foster is just as nasty, if not more.

Our OL next year will be dominant

2018 it'll be dirty.

LT Gates
LG Foster
C ______ (assume Raridon)
RG Farmer
RT Farniok/Conrad

Left side will be the best we've had in a super long time. We're talking a potential All American in Gates and a potential All Conference guy in Foster. The above assumes we don't land the mammoth stud out west in the '17 class.

Reactions: HuskerO
This has been a huge problem all year long, and likely the biggest weakness on this team. I also tend to want to question that stubborn old bowling ball of a coach.

Foster is just as nasty, if not more.

2018 it'll be dirty.

LT Gates
LG Foster
C ______ (assume Raridon)
RG Farmer
RT Farniok/Conrad

Left side will be the best we've had in a super long time. We're talking a potential All American in Gates and a potential All Conference guy in Foster. The above assumes we don't land the mammoth stud out west in the '17 class.

The proof will be in the pudding.

Not to single out anyone, but one guy on the OL UTTERLY sucks and constantly whiffs or gets tossed like a rag doll.

I would love to sit in the OL film room to see if they point out the horrible plays that he gets blown up and see how Cav goes about correcting and teaching the kid how to improve and what he should have done instead to avoid getting blown up.

The talent and depth on the OL is more on par with Midland than a prestigious school like NU. The recruiting done along the OL by the previous regime is at fault. It takes a number of classes to fix an issue like this. Should this still be an issue in 2018, than shown Cavanaugh the door. Until that time, keep the long game in mind because we were never set up for long term success

Reactions: ExxHusker
AHHHH HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was hoping someone else saw that. Good Grief!!!!!!!! HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN TO A HUGE OFFENSIVE LINEMEN???
Was It Some Sort Of Bruce Lee Punch??? LMAO!!!!!!!!

Pretty much yeah. Year three with this staff, we're going to need to see real improvement, but Bo and company really left this team completely devoid of game changers at any position.

That is completely untrue!!! It's a cop out to blame a coach and his staff that hasn't been here for two years!

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
That is completely untrue!!! It's a cop out to blame a coach and his staff that hasn't been here for two years!
You say that and it's clear you don't have a clue. The depth chart of the OL is almost entirely still the result of the previous staff's unwillingness to recruit. There is no magic fix to it. The only thing one can do is recruit through multiple classes and give them developmental time. Unlike skill positions, very rare are the OL prospects who come to campus at 18 year old freshman and can push around upperclassmen in the trenches

So... old school Nebraska fan thinks Freshman lineman should be starting across the offensive line.
Jeez Louise, just start chugging bleach.

They could of recruited 1 or 2 Juco linemen last year, didn't do it. I agree the previous staff left them in bad shape but it was plain to see they had every opportunity to go after Juco kids to fix it. If people think Redshirt freshman are going to start next year and it's all fixed they are fooling themselves. it takes time for O-linemen to develop and become solid B1G linemen.

On top of all that I still don't know if Coach Cav is the answer. I'm not saying fire him I'm saying the verdict is still out. There's no reason why three of those linemen play patty cake, aren't blocking for more than 1 to 2 seconds nor do they show decent pad level or footwork. I'm not seeing improvement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT