ADVERTISEMENT

Willie Taggart Era

Maybe they should have hired Sgt. Taggart!

beverlyhillscopfranchise.0108.jpg

Man, the FSU fans really cleared out quick. What loyalty!

no O, 3 points and a conference L, nice willie - bet a bunch of boosters are working on next up already. good we got Scott out of that state ahead of this silly season, bet things get started early with coaches moving.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Game one coming off a 7-6 year, ranking was always suspect, don’t think he will be great there, but geez.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I thought their defense was playing weak in the first drive... they sort of played better but if i was vatech or anynoe playi g them this year man im throwing a lob pass everytime to anyone over 6'0 against that db they had at 5'8 reminded me of our little guy we had a few years back Grixby..

Fsu oline is garbage... thats why they lost this game

Oh what those in Tallahassee must be thinking right about now.
Well it is way too early to judge his Florida State career based on only one game. Like all new coaches he needs at least three years. BUT IMO, Willie is a great recruiter but NOT a great coach. I personally dislike him for also being a liar and manipulator.

Taggart was a head scratcher of a hire for sure. However, he could flame out after one year, and FSU can go get another top 5 coach to take his place at any time, so enjoy their downtime while you can.

There has really never been a good reason to hire Taggart for the Oregon job and/or FSU job. He is another Human Lotto Ticket
If someone wants to question whether USF success translates to power 5 conference success, fair enough. But Taggart did get USF playing at a very high level with steady improvement from his first year to his final year. They were solid both offensively and defensively. Not all that different from a Herman or Frost. They were the “can’t miss” hires of the last couple of years, so something else must be going on to question whether there is no good reason Taggart was hired at Oregon or FSU.

If someone wants to question whether USF success translates to power 5 conference success, fair enough. But Taggart did get USF playing at a very high level with steady improvement from his first year to his final year. They were solid both offensively and defensively. Not all that different from a Herman or Frost. They were the “can’t miss” hires of the last couple of years, so something else must be going on to question whether there is no good reason Taggart was hired at Oregon or FSU.

I think it is his recruiting...the guy can get players. Sadly for FSU fans he doesn't know what offense he wants to run.

Didn't everyone pretty much think this was going to be questionable hire at best when it happened? I just didn't see the proof when he was at South Florida that he was up to the FSU gig.

Reactions: baseball31ne
I think it is his recruiting...the guy can get players. Sadly for FSU fans he doesn't know what offense he wants to run.
I think maybe his track record suggests that he is successful taking over really bad programs and building a culture over a few years. That doesn’t always translate into taking over an established team and getting them over the top.

What he did at Western Kentucky and USF is really pretty remarkable - but in both cases, those teams he inherited were garbage and he left with them being respected programs.

I think maybe his track record suggests that he is successful taking over really bad programs and building a culture over a few years. That doesn’t always translate into taking over an established team and getting them over the top.

What he did at Western Kentucky and USF is really pretty remarkable - but in both cases, those teams he inherited were garbage and he left with them being respected programs.
That is a good point. I think at those spots he was able to out-recruit the rest of the conference that his coaching/offense was basically going to work in spite of his game planning. That won't happen as much in the ACC.

Who were those guys that were fsu fans that did that video breaking down ucf games and praising the Coach Frost hire by NU. Wonder what their take is now on THEIR hire.

Reactions: arf_man

Great point, and similar to any reasoning that might have been attached to the Mike Riley hire. Full disclosure: I drank that Kool-Aid.

Taggart and Frost aren't friends by any means, especially after he ran up the score on Frost in the final 15 seconds of the 2016 UCF-USF game. Don't think he took many of his guys with him from Oregon to FSU either. Hope he had extyguys that were loyal to him, that's a lot of lost loyalty around him in Tallahassee.

FSU sucks. Taggert had one decent year at Oregon and they give him a top 5 job? The guy they should have hired is standing on the opponents sideline tonight in Justin Fuente, who incidentally was Moos backup plan had Frost not come home.

How good is Fuente without Bud Foster, though? I have a hard time believing he would have left Virginia Tech to come here, unless maybe Foster would have come with him (which I doubt).

Florida State's o line has been hot garbage for a few years and their whole gameplan was hurry up and run. Bud Foster is too smart and their D is too fast for that to work, no matter how many 5 star backs they have. Obviously way too early to judge the hire but they need to fix that line before any style of offense will be successful.

How good is Fuente without Bud Foster, though? I have a hard time believing he would have left Virginia Tech to come here, unless maybe Foster would have come with him (which I doubt).

I love how it is assumed that since Fuente was the back up plan, that it means he was coming.

I agree that I don't think he would have left Va Tech for Nebraska.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Not sure the facilities in Florida, Florida State, and Miami have kept up with the facilities in the other "aint got nothing else to do places". We have seen that Florida and Miami can't just plug anyone in and win, and facilities at Florida were a big issue with coaches. Places like NU, OSU, Alabama will always have the money for facilities because boosters don't have anything else...despite the talent...the number of teams and crappy facilities has kept florida as a state down for a while. They should have a team in the playoff every year...sometimes two.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Miami has never had great facilities. Florida's are ok and Florida St's are a bit above average. They have always had the advantage of having better athletes to choose from. When they play offensive and defensive schemes that utilizes that athleticism, they area at their best. When they don't, they aren't.

None of the teams have had an offensive identity for a while. Probably since Spurrier, and Jimbo, to an extent. They all three usually have solid defenses.

Florida St defense was very good last night. The score doesn't do it justice. Va Tech had at least 3 possessions that started inside the FSU 45 and did not score a single point.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Culture seems to be a bigger indicator of sustained success.

Teams like Miami, FSU, Texas, UCLA seem to have a mentality problem where they have talented kids, yet have no true toughness in the face of adversity.

Wisconsin, Nebraska of old, Stanford, even Northwestern have that defining culture characteristic.

That should give us hope that Scott will get us out of the muck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT