ADVERTISEMENT

Will we have to root for each other this year?

SWIowahawks

Senior
Sep 2, 2006
It's been known for a while now that Wisconsin is the hands down favorite to win the West this season. They have an easy schedule and return 16/17 starters from a team that almost did big things last year.

I don't think Iowa or Nebraska has the talent (or easy schedule) to win the division without Wisconsin losing 2 or 3 games. When you look at their schedule; Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan, and NW are the only realistic possibilities for them to lose. NW, Iowa, and Michigan are in Camp Randall.

So, even if Iowa or Nebraska beat Wisconsin, they are more than likely going to need help from one or two of the above teams. I put Iowa's chances of winning in Camp Randall at 15% so I'm afraid I'm for sure gonna have to hope Nebraska beats them in Lincoln.

Reactions: timnsun
It's been known for a while now that Wisconsin is the hands down favorite to win the West this season. They have an easy schedule and return 16/17 starters from a team that almost did big things last year.

I don't think Iowa or Nebraska has the talent (or easy schedule) to win the division without Wisconsin losing 2 or 3 games. When you look at their schedule; Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan, and NW are the only realistic possibilities for them to lose. NW, Iowa, and Michigan are in Camp Randall.

So, even if Iowa or Nebraska beat Wisconsin, they are more than likely going to need help from one or two of the above teams. I put Iowa's chances of winning in Camp Randall at 15% so I'm afraid I'm for sure gonna have to hope Nebraska beats them in Lincoln.
For sure, some things we need to get over and see the positive

I agree with the OP to an extent. We need Wisconsin to lose at least two. Assuming we lose to OSU and PSU, we need to beat Wisky head to head, and then have someone else beat them too as we run the table. I would prefer to see Michigan beat them rather than Iowa. For whatever reason, and with apologies to the OP who came here in good faith, I really have always disliked Iowa football. I can't explain it. It really has nothing to do with any supposed rivalry (there isn't one) or that they are a neighboring State. Kansas State is even closer and I don't dislike them. No... I find Iowa football dull, boring. Nor do I like the piss yellow colors. I always find myself cheering against them when I see them on TV.

So no, I won't be rooting for Iowa

I agree with the OP to an extent. We need Wisconsin to lose at least two. Assuming we lose to OSU and PSU, we need to beat Wisky head to head, and then have someone else beat them too as we run the table. I would prefer to see Michigan beat them rather than Iowa. For whatever reason, and with apologies to the OP who came here in good faith, I really have always disliked Iowa football. I can't explain it. It really has nothing to do with any supposed rivalry (there isn't one) or that they are a neighboring State. Kansas State is even closer and I don't dislike them. No... I find Iowa football dull, boring. Nor do I like the piss yellow colors. I always find myself cheering against them when I see them on TV.

No offense taken. Iowa football gets dull and boring for Iowa fans too. Trust me.

Negative. I will only root for Iowa if I need them to win in order for Nebraska will win the west.
Which was the point. Not in every game, but when Nebraska plays Wisconsin, I'm gonna have to root for Nebraska. Which, I don't think I've ever done.

I find your comment about KSU interesting, I personally recall KSU fan being the "Iowa fan" of the big12. In fact, IMO Ferentz and Iowa took a play out of the KSU playbook in regards to OOC scheduling. I suppose it's age dependent and I'm old.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
vxt2iw.jpg

I like KState colors. And I thought CU was the Iowa in our old league. Wrt the Badgers, we need to beat them. If we do, there is a lot of other business to take care of in terms of teams that can give us a go: Iowa, NW, tOSU and Ped St. Wisconsin just has a much easier schedule. Michigan is very much a winnable game for them and that's pretty much it for the games with the east. Two of our games in the East are a pretty tough climb.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Iowa? Can't remember them. Oh, yes now I remember who they are.
They are the team who wants to make Nebraska their rival. Not going to happen.

Iowa is no better than Colorado was in the old Big 12.

I like KState colors. And I thought CU was the Iowa in our old league. Wrt the Badgers, we need to beat them. If we do, there is a lot of other business to take care of in terms of teams that can give us a go: Iowa, NW, tOSU and Ped St. Wisconsin just has a much easier schedule. Michigan is very much a winnable game for them and that's pretty much it for the games with the east. Two of our games in the East are a pretty tough climb.
The difference for me in regards to CU versus KSU/Iowa is that CU actually did win some on the biggest stage. Side note, I was at the CU vs. Husker game 1992 and 2010 and had a great time at both.

Hand over the man card, purple lover.

As fans we can ignore the Iowa rivalry. I hope the players do not. Iowa goes junkyard dog when they play us. The road to the West title opens with Wisconsin but closes with Iowa.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8

True they return a lot but the little they lost was significant including 2 first round and a forth round draft pick.

Production lost
69% of rushing
33% of receiving
50% of passing
27% of ints
31% of tackles
50% of sacks
43% of TFL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT