ADVERTISEMENT

Will Howard visit

I still do not understand why McCord would even consider us unless there was so much NIL money dangled in front of him he could not resist. But I doubt that we are offering him more money than others are. Why in the hell would he leave an enormously successful OSU program that was one close loss away from a playoff berth to come to a team with a very poor supporting cast of athletes around him on offense and which has not won crap in almost a decade or sniffed a title of any kind in over a decade? He is a very good QB who could go anywhere. It is his ticket to punch. So why Nebraska? The chance to play for Satterfield?? Don't make me laugh.

He is either disgruntled with the current OSU coaching staff or he is just fishing for a boatload of money. Or maybe both. Or maybe somebody at OSU told him that he is no lock for the starting job next year and so he decided to bolt to a school that does not have a QB of any kind so that he does not have to worry about being a starter. And we certainly fit that bill.

I never thought he was a lock. Maybe he is super impressed with Matt Rhule. That is the only thing I can think of that might draw him here other than a sure lock as a starter. But there are also other schools where he would be a sure lock as a starter with a better recent track record of winning.

Most sites were pretty confident of McCord to NU at the end of the week. Not sure that has changed given the Howard visit

We visited Cam Ward and we weren’t in his top 4. The Baylor kid is going to Miss St

That leaves McCord, Howard and Leavitt as our current targets.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I still do not understand why McCord would even consider us unless there was so much NIL money dangled in front of him he could not resist. But I doubt that we are offering him more money than others are. Why in the hell would he leave an enormously successful OSU program that was one close loss away from a playoff berth to come to a team with a very poor supporting cast of athletes around him on offense and which has not won crap in almost a decade or sniffed a title of any kind in over a decade? He is a very good QB who could go anywhere. It is his ticket to punch. So why Nebraska? The chance to play for Satterfield?? Don't make me laugh.

He is either disgruntled with the current OSU coaching staff or he is just fishing for a boatload of money. Or maybe both. Or maybe somebody at OSU told him that he is no lock for the starting job next year and so he decided to bolt to a school that does not have a QB of any kind so that he does not have to worry about being a starter. And we certainly fit that bill.

I never thought he was a lock. Maybe he is super impressed with Matt Rhule. That is the only thing I can think of that might draw him here other than a sure lock as a starter. But there are also other schools where he would be a sure lock as a starter with a better recent track record of winning.
Well I don't know if he'll end up at Nebraska but the word is he was angered by the OSU head coach telling him his starting job was NOT guaranteed for the bowl game after the Michigan loss. And many OSU fans blamed him for that loss.

Apparently all is not happy at OSU as they now have 13 players in the portal. I think a lot of that comes from the criticism of fans in not being able to beat Michigan lately.

Last edited:
Well I don't know if he'll end up at Nebraska but the word is he was angered by the OSU head coach telling him his starting job was NOT guaranteed for the bowl game after the Michigan loss. And many OSU fans blamed him for that loss.
No doubt a guarantee is required to land him. Not sure I like that. Would rather get a guy who is willing to compete whether or not he’s a lock to win the job.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78

My TOSU buddy said he left because of the pressure that place puts on QB's. He's a different and just wants to play football without all that comparison to CJ Stoud and other OSU QB's. That place is a no win situation for him, he could go 12&0 and it wouldn't be good enough. Coming to a place like NU where there is still lots of scrutiny from fans, at least the expectations are lower and the chance to exceed and be a hero exists. The way our QB's played this year the bar is pretty low to jump over. which means more opportunity to personally succeed.

I think, somewhere with in your post, you answered your own question. To me, it seems pretty clear. He was heavily criticized and was made the scapegoat for OSU not beating Michigan and making the playoffs. And as a result, Day likely told him wasn’t a lock to be the starter next year. So he decided to give OSU the 🖕🏻 and entered the portal. And we are offering a very competitive NIL deal.

Like I’ve said, we can land top guys in this new era of NIL. But we can’t do it by being cheap and just matching or coming close to what the big boys are offering. We’ll have to beat their offers. And I think Matt and Trev, despite how much they may dislike this bullshit, understand this and have decided to play ball.

My TOSU buddy said he left because of the pressure that place puts on QB's. He's a different and just wants to play football without all that comparison to CJ Stoud and other OSU QB's. That place is a no win situation for him, he could go 12&0 and it wouldn't be good enough. Coming to a place like NU where there is still lots of scrutiny from fans, at least the expectations are lower and the chance to exceed and be a hero exists. The way our QB's played this year the bar is pretty low to jump over. which means more opportunity to personally succeed.
If this is the case, that would make sense

There is literally zero pressure to win here

Simply referring to our losing record gets you put on the naughty list

Howard is probably tops on my QB wishlist

Winner, tough kid, can do everything asked of him + I believe would bring a bit of the edge to the offense that we saw briefly this past season

He carried that kst team during large portions of their championship season

If this is the case, that would make sense

There is literally zero pressure to win here

Simply referring to our losing record gets you put on the naughty list

If he wins 8-9 games here he will heralded as the hero that put us on the track back to success. If he wins anything less than 11 games at OSU he will be considered a complete failure and will be cast aside. And we’re apparently willing to shell out some coin to get real QB. I really think it’s as simple as that…

I think recruits and transfers see Nebraska as a big time program with finally a good coach rolling into only year 2. Huge upside. We as fans see this program as perpetual losers. A never ending abyss of misery. Lol. Those are 2 very different perspectives.

I think we should all know not to trust anyone after that deal with olineman from Stanford last year. You keep recruiting until your guy is truly locked in.

TE is interesting. A somewhat breakout season last year but nothing spectacular in his career. I wonder if we are taking more portal players than expected.

I think Howard is #1 on our board, but we are on the outside looking in. It sounds like he’s leaning toward going to USC or entering the draft.

But you don’t want to take the commit of the next guy on your board until you know you can’t get him.

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_

Agree with alot of what you've said. I'm just guessing but I think McCord knew OSU would try to replace him in portal. And if the kid is a self aware man....he's going to get paid this year cause his NFL prospects are low. Some of these top flight portal QBs are making more than the NFL MVP frontrunner lol (yes I realize it's a unique situation with B Purdy)

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
If McCord was such a lock it would be odd to be visiting Howard again.
Wasn’t McCord supposed to have been in Lincoln this weekend?
Also another TE?

I honestly would prefer Howard. He's a better fit for us with his ability to run. I hope our line continues to improve but I'd like the safety blanket of a guy that can scramble

Reactions: schuele
I honestly would prefer Howard. He's a better fit for us with his ability to run. I hope our line continues to improve but I'd like the safety blanket of a guy that can scramble
If we don't get a couple of stud receivers in, I agree. I would rather have Howard in that case.

If McCord was such a lock it would be odd to be visiting Howard again.
Wasn’t McCord supposed to have been in Lincoln this weekend?
Also another TE?

Probably both are genuinely interested in Nebraska but still have not agreed to come here. We like both very much and will take the first one who commits to us.

Reactions: PandaRed
Profound statement! The state of an element (or molecule) depends on the temperature and the pressure. All elements can be in any of the three states (solid, liquid or gas) with the right temperature and pressure.
And that, folks, is the fact of the "matter."

Badum GIFs | Tenor

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT