ADVERTISEMENT

Wilbon and Howard

spinner4

All-American
Jan 29, 2003
So as they both continue to hammer Nebraska athletics, when will a National journalist have the balls to call them out on their alternative motives?

Wilbon is a northwestern graduate and Howard is a Michigan grad. Right off the bat we’ve established a bias opinion. Something a good journalist should not have . But the real story here is these two protecting their schools and endowments. Northwestern has a $11 billion endowment and Michigan has a $12.4 billion. Do you think they are being told from the powers at their universities to make Nebraska look bad so that they don’t? Just find it kind of coincidental that we have 2 Big ten guys on ESPN criticizing our program with that kind of money on the line from their schools and they are preaching “safety”. When will we have balance in journalism again? AJAB

So you’re saying we don’t have any journalist alumni in high enough places to call them out and tell the to STFU? Trev would if he was still at ESPN. He never backed down from Mark May.

Reactions: headcard
Nebraska just wants to play football. No one at Nebraska ever made a declaration that they wanted out of the B1G, in fact both Frost and Moos expressed there commitment to the conference, before stating they wanted to look into other options if the B1G doesn’t play football this fall. The rants of Wilbon and Howard were both extremely childish and unprofessional.

No, I'm sure it's their personal rant not an organized effort by other schools. They're looking to generate ratings with controversy. Unfortunately sports pundits are desperate for "news" these days since sports are pretty much in the tank right now.

The real shame though is where are all the calls to expel schools over their sexual abuse scandals? And, yes, Michigan itself has a historical scandal of sex abuse from years ago in their Athletic Dept. that's just coming to light this year. Michigan is trying quietly to keep a lid on the bad publicity and working to see if it can make private settlements with the abused victims.

No, I'm sure it's their personal rant not an organized effort by other schools. They're looking to generate ratings with controversy. Unfortunately sports pundits are desperate for "news" these days since sports are pretty much in the tank right now.

The real shame though is where are all the calls to expel schools over their sexual abuse scandals? And, yes, Michigan itself has a historical scandal of sex abuse from years ago in their Athletic Dept. that's just coming to light this year. Michigan is trying quietly to keep a lid on the bad publicity and working to see if it can make private settlements with the abused victims.

yeah, I’m sure it’s just a big coincidence that the two biggest voices against Nebraska came from members of the media that are alumni at the top 2 wealthiest schools in the B1G, (both in the top 15 in the nation). Both schools had the most to lose from academic backlash of playing football. And na, schools would never turn to alumni that are members of the media to protect their wealth and especially members of the biggest voice in sports media (ESPN). Journalists these days have too much integrity to report a jaded and bias story and The wealthy don’t control the media in this country. What was I thinking.

but now that I got your ear would any of you be interested in some Ocean front property near Lincoln. Could be great for game days

Last edited:
So you’re saying we don’t have any journalist alumni in high enough places to call them out and tell the to STFU? Trev would if he was still at ESPN. He never backed down from Mark May.

do we? I can’t think of one.

Come on man. You just sound like another disgruntled fan spinner. If you’re so bothered why, stoop down to their level, it’s just more ESPN dribble. Let it go and enjoy life, it’s pointless.

And if you really think this is slander, I would look up the legal definition Slander, by legal definition is very hard to prove.

Reactions: schuele
I think you guys should stage a hunger strike until Wilbon and Howard apologize. Stand for your convictions!

Seriously though, you guys really spend time thinking about this? All I care about is whether we A) recruit, and B) win. I think Frost's stance might help with A and if our program develops a bit of a chip on its shoulder over it maybe it helps with B. Other than that I couldn't care less what a couple of pundits say. Maybe if the Big 12 completes their season Frost will get his "I told you so" moment.

Reactions: schuele
Exactly (mgbries), just go win something and shut everybody up. Control what you can control.

And by the way. I’ve been a loyal Husker fan since 1969.

Reactions: mgbreis
So as they both continue to hammer Nebraska athletics, when will a National journalist have the balls to call them out on their alternative motives?

Wilbon is a northwestern graduate and Howard is a Michigan grad. Right off the bat we’ve established a bias opinion. Something a good journalist should not have . But the real story here is these two protecting their schools and endowments. Northwestern has a $11 billion endowment and Michigan has a $12.4 billion. Do you think they are being told from the powers at their universities to make Nebraska look bad so that they don’t? Just find it kind of coincidental that we have 2 Big ten guys on ESPN criticizing our program with that kind of money on the line from their schools and they are preaching “safety”. When will we have balance in journalism again? AJAB
No opinion on the journalism thing. They are self absorbed, agenda pushing, idiots but most in the media are. I think what it shows more than anything is how much of an outsider Nebraska is in the BIG10. How we do not belong and will be attacked if given the opportunity. Money is good, but with streaming services becoming so popular. I don't see the nice TV deal the BIG10 has to continue for much longer. When that dries up. Most conferences will be on a level playing field as far as TV deals and money from games. We need to be looking at any and all options to get out of the BIG10.

They criticize Nebraska's football program so they can protect their former school's endowments?

I have to admit - that is a take I never saw coming.

Howard doesn't have a clue what an endowment is or its purpose although he once heard some people talking about it. Wilbon is a Northwestern sports journalism graduate and therefore suffers from an inferiority complex.

Reactions: PhillyLeotardo91
They criticize Nebraska's football program so they can protect their former school's endowments?

Howard doesn't have a clue what an endowment is or its purpose although he once heard some people talking about it. Wilbon is a Northwestern sports journalism graduate and therefore suffers from an inferiority complex.

Good call on Wilbon and inferiority complex. NW will never sniff anything close to Ivy League status, thus always leaving them to put down others to make themselves feel better, but sorry NW... you’re just another school.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Thomas Friedman die hard leftist admitted last week that this phony corona panic is over after the election whether it works to get rid of DJT or not...big ten could kick off first week of November in that case

It amazes me that so called sports journalists like Wilbon who have made a good living covering sports are now willing to throw it all down the toilet to be a part of the ruling class. Really sick these people are. They've made theirs in life and their attitude is who gives a F about anyone else. A lot of college presidents are the same way

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz

My hunch. you gotta keep the donors happy just like you gotta keep sports fans happy. For most of the B1G, the endowment money is far more lucrative then athletics and is a big business itself. For example, @ Michigan $2.4 Billion of its endowment is dedicated for use by Michigan Medicine and other clinical activities only. Thats more then Nebraska’s total endowments. You piss these people off by going against their opinions and they will stop donating in future campaigns. Donors can also put pressure on the board to make your life hell on the restrictions on funds.

I know this to some may seem far fetched but what I do know is you follow the money. Jim Harbaugh has been extremely vocal on wanting to play football and his AD Manuel has been very careful in the words he used, never really showing an opinion but rather support on the decision. But someone at Michigan has strong feeling that football was unsafe this fall. And though many people believe Ohio state holds the cards in the B1G, Michigan could buy Ohio State. Old blue is ranked in the top 12 in each school of business, medicine, and Law. Lots of powerful people have gone to school in Ann Arbor. Even more so at Northwestern. Academics is very much king and sports is just a game (and that’s 100% rightfully so).

You don’t keep a top 10 school in arguably the 3 most powerful fields by not having money. And in no world will sports directly or indirectly get you the funding the money that requires. Won’t even put a minor dent in it. Pardon the mccarver-isms but Bama is as good at football as they are bad at academics. Their Endowment is less than UNL. The $6.5 to $7 million their football program it contributes to the school directly is a good chunk of change to the university. Also the scholarships the Athletics pays is a good bit of money to the school too. The branding that football does for the school is priceless. At most SEC schools sports is a key part to its economic structure. Their sports has a say in what goes on. In the B1G, it doesn’t matter. The amount of money that a school like Bama brings in for sports is almost an immaterial amount for a Michigan or Northwestern.

Those schools economic power is from academic contributions. So how’s this have anything to do with Howard and Wilbon? Well obviously these two (as I stated before) are alumni’s to schools that their academic side feels extremely strong against playing football this season. These schools have ties to very powerful people that don’t want sports played this fall. What Frost said was inspiring. The first take on his press conference were rave reviews. This undermined the powers that be. I have no doubt phone calls were made and Frost and Nebraska were made an example out of.

I have no idea if Howard has any dam clue about how much money goes through the university every year via endowments spinoff earnings but I’m willing to bet he knows dam well that you listen to what certain people in power at Michigan say to do. Same with Wilbon at Northwestern. Lots of powerful people come from those schools. Ones that could have either of their jobs at ESPN. And it’s not like Wilbon or Howard to speak against people try to fight the system. Normally they applaud them. So that’s what makes this so strange to me and strongly makes me believe that there’s way more to it then we know.

And why would it be important for the B1G not to have sports this fall? One theory is they want people’s lives to be miserable come this November. I know I’ll lose some on that theory. But the rust built wins or loses elections. An unhappy rust built this November will have a major impact this November. Bill Clinton still claims a 1 point loss to Rice and back to back losses for Arkansas costed him the 1980 governor election in Arkansas. Unhappy people vote the old leader out of office.

So in recap, just a hunch, the power in the B1G is money. That money comes from endowments (not sports). The people that pay for that money could have alternative motives to stop college football this fall and could make it very difficult finically if the schools went forward with it. Howard and Wilbon aren’t acting like their normal self in reporting. Lots of questionable motives going on. Maybe I need to take my cause to Alex Jones and wear tin metal hat. Or maybe just maybe there’s some truth in my hunch. Regardless of which side your on, it’s definitely something to think about.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Many have the same thoughts that Red state Nebraska will always be the red headed step child to all the liberal blue state B1G members. So many here underestimate the resolve of these people and the media to make sure Trump loses Nov 3rd. They don’t care who gets crushed to achieve their goal.

Reactions: Chuck003
Many have the same thoughts that Red state Nebraska will always be the red headed step child to all the liberal blue state B1G members. So many here underestimate the resolve of these people and the media to make sure Trump loses Nov 3rd. They don’t care who gets crushed to achieve their goal.
Good grief. Take your right wing crap to the Fox message board.

Reactions: chipotlehusker
They don't say crap about Ohio state and people wonder why and bitch. Win some damn football games and maybe our voice will be heard and people won't be "picking" on us.

They don't say crap about Ohio state and people wonder why and bitch. Win some damn football games and maybe our voice will be heard and people won't be "picking" on us.
Yeah, yeah, yeah... it’s all our fault. Howard and Wilbon are right to pile on. :rolleyes:o_O

Reactions: baseball31ne
You are right and that is 90 percent of why it is happening. Pretty easy one to figure out.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Wilbon can go jump off a cliff, what a clueless pompous ass!! Sheesh! Desmond Coward has NOT rendered a single coherent, valid, and articulate opinion in his entire career! How he has a job shows the competence of his network. Enough said.

Wilbon can go jump off a cliff, what a clueless pompous ass!! Sheesh! Desmond Coward has NOT rendered a single coherent, valid, and articulate opinion in his entire career! How he has a job shows the competence of his network. Enough said.
We're talking about the same people who employed Lou "kids paralyzed, screw 'em" Holtz as long as they did. Having a whiny cu.nt like Desmond on their payroll shouldn't be a suprise.

Reactions: DrRedDuke
I think its sec bias. ESPN is the sec network basically. More viewers for them if we don't have a season

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT