ADVERTISEMENT

Why the Fear of Changing Coaches? Really.

ExxHusker

Walk On
Nov 21, 2001
Does anyone really like where we are headed? Does anyone see anything special in our future with these guys? Anything that gives us a competitive edge? Is this staff inspirational? What competence do they bring?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I'll give it a go...

We have a really good recruiting class so far, with the possibility of others like Micah Parsons coming on board as well. Riley is as good a guy as you will find out there, so I want him to have every opportunity to succeed. He is changing the culture.

All that being said, today is a dark day. This is one of those losses that makes me open to change. This. Was. Terrible. In my mind, the only way Riley stays on is by winning the West. Anything less than that, I don't see how he keeps his job. And I hate to say it, but if we went in a different direction, I might be fine with that.

I'll give it a go...

We have a really good recruiting class so far, with the possibility of others like Micah Parsons coming on board as well. Riley is as good a guy as you will find out there, so I want him to have every opportunity to succeed. He is changing the culture.

All that being said, today is a dark day. This is one of those losses that makes me open to change. This. Was. Terrible. In my mind, the only way Riley stays on is by winning the West. Anything less than that, I don't see how he keeps his job. And I hate to say it, but if we went in a different direction, I might be fine with that.
"changing the culture"
Sorry, how many of the current verbals will stick with NU with the dumpster fire being shown on game days?

Reactions: bomber89
I'll give it a go...

Damn that. I want to scream and yell. Then I will be right in front of the TV next week hoping we win out. Laughing

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I'll give it a go...

Win the west? This team should worry about winning another game if they continue to play like today.

I'll give it a go...

Yes, it's due to small class size, but we sit 51st in the Rivals ranking and 11th in the Big Ten

Other than Cameron Brown recommitting we haven't had a commit in almost 3 months, the class started okay, but has lost momentum.

Yes, actually there are things that make me hopeful. Diaco's defense is getting better and more cohesive. The trend in the last 6 quarters is up with a defensive backfield that is a MASH Unit. There are athletes waiting in the wings on defense about whom I feel really good. They are not on the field but they are on the team (as of this afternoon). I will be interested to see where we are with them in 3 games.

The offense feels Cosgrove-ian. No identity. No game plan. Pinning hopes really totally on the back of bill of goods. We are going into conference play with abysmal QB play and no backup QB that has not played a single snap in a college game. I have never seen a QB hit the opposing team so many times as we have seen through 3 games, whether its windows or arm angle-- Lee hits the other team a frightening amount of times. If you are POB, why would stay getting no snaps and seeing that the QB development is not working. That is bad play and bad personnel management. We supposedly have a stable of 4 good running backs yet we refuse to play more than one any meaningful carries in a game. I have heard Riley say that they are not a staff that wants to play more than one but they were last year and the year before that. Ozigbo having 2 carries through 3 games (and only 2 carries against a DL today that was smaller and susceptible to a bigger back) is terrible personnel management. We have talent supposedly on the OL and yet the only star recruit to play so far is Farniok and he looked bad today. Who has really been coached up and developed on OL? They are getting manhandled by smaller guys. Wide Receivers give me hope in that between Lindsey, Spielman and McQuitty sitting on the sideline, there is talent there but no confidence that the guy behind center will get you the ball. Plus there seems to be a recruiter with the WRs. But there is hope at the Wide Receivers. Tight ends? Those are not D-1 level tight ends.

Other than kick returns, there is no progress or direction on special teams.

And then there is recruiting. There is reason to be hopeful except.... Who can we really say that we have coached up to be better than expected and a real star? Who of our high level recruits can we say that we made great? With the exception of Lindsey, who can we show to the top recruits that, yes we were bad, but if you come to Nebraska we will immediately put you on the field and have a chance to be a 4 year star? Frankly the car salesman routine of opportunity seems to be belied by the appearance to play mediocre players in the place of high-level recruits, which means either (1) we will sit you behind non-performing players or (2) we will not develop you so you can beat out even a mediocre player.

"changing the culture"
Sorry, how many of the current verbals will stick with NU with the dumpster fire being shown on game days?
That's why I said today is a dark day. If we don't put it together now and win the west even if we don't fire Riley the recruiting is on tenuous ground.

I'm on of the Riley supporters on this board, obnoxiously so. The point in my post is to say I am wavering.

I didn't watch the game, and evidently our defense did come together today, so that's a good sign I guess.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Win the west? This team should worry about winning another game if they continue to play like today.
I didn't say they can win the west, but they need to in my opinion, if hear coaches are really gonna gain any traction moving forward. The sloppiness needs to end. Period.

Does anyone really like where we are headed? Does anyone see anything special in our future with these guys? Anything that gives us a competitive edge? Is this staff inspirational? What competence do they bring?

I'm right there with you. The right coach is the key to winning in college football, far more than continuity or recruiting territory. Oklahoma stunk until they hired a guy named Stoops. Alabama was average until they hired Saban. OSU was mediocre with loads of talent until they hired Meyer. USC was a sleeping giant until they hired Pete Carroll then went into immediate decline on his departure. The same with Oregon and Chip Kelley. The list goes on and on.
If after 3 seasons you don't see a program on the rise it's time to pull the plug. All of those coaches had built a system quickly even while using players from the prior regimes. NU just looks more lost this year than last year.
I wanted to take a shot hiring Scott Frost 3 years ago but many argued it was foolish to hire a coach with no head coaching experience who happens to be a former player. I think it's a stroke of luck that one of the better up-and-coming coaches is a former player with ties to the state and we are fools let him eventually end up elsewhere (Miami?).

Yes, actually there are things that make me hopeful. Diaco's defense is getting better and more cohesive. The trend in the last 6 quarters is up with a defensive backfield that is a MASH Unit. There are athletes waiting in the wings on defense about whom I feel really good. They are not on the field but they are on the team (as of this afternoon). I will be interested to see where we are with them in 3 games.

The offense feels Cosgrove-ian. No identity. No game plan. Pinning hopes really totally on the back of bill of goods. We are going into conference play with abysmal QB play and no backup QB that has not played a single snap in a college game. I have never seen a QB hit the opposing team so many times as we have seen through 3 games, whether its windows or arm angle-- Lee hits the other team a frightening amount of times. If you are POB, why would stay getting no snaps and seeing that the QB development is not working. That is bad play and bad personnel management. We supposedly have a stable of 4 good running backs yet we refuse to play more than one any meaningful carries in a game. I have heard Riley say that they are not a staff that wants to play more than one but they were last year and the year before that. Ozigbo having 2 carries through 3 games (and only 2 carries against a DL today that was smaller and susceptible to a bigger back) is terrible personnel management. We have talent supposedly on the OL and yet the only star recruit to play so far is Farniok and he looked bad today. Who has really been coached up and developed on OL? They are getting manhandled by smaller guys. Wide Receivers give me hope in that between Lindsey, Spielman and McQuitty sitting on the sideline, there is talent there but no confidence that the guy behind center will get you the ball. Plus there seems to be a recruiter with the WRs. But there is hope at the Wide Receivers. Tight ends? Those are not D-1 level tight ends.

Other than kick returns, there is no progress or direction on special teams.

And then there is recruiting. There is reason to be hopeful except.... Who can we really say that we have coached up to be better than expected and a real star? Who of our high level recruits can we say that we made great? With the exception of Lindsey, who can we show to the top recruits that, yes we were bad, but if you come to Nebraska we will immediately put you on the field and have a chance to be a 4 year star? Frankly the car salesman routine of opportunity seems to be belied by the appearance to play mediocre players in the place of high-level recruits, which means either (1) we will sit you behind non-performing players or (2) we will not develop you so you can beat out even a mediocre player.

We need to play more conservatively on offense and bring in Ozigbo and get the offensive line playing more aggressively with a bruising runner to block for. Pressure needs to be taken off of Lee or O'Brien with less passing and more running the ball using two running backs instead of one.

This week is critical for Riley and staff. They need to shake things up and practices need to be intense with starting jobs on the line for all the players.

Do you think this is easy for me? You know how optimistic I am normally.

Would appreciate some sympathy rather than piling on, but I guess not everybody can do that...
I am not going to give you any sympathy whatsoever! You're always busting my chops with your stupid comments! About being a Bo lover and this n that. I am a lover of winning NU football period! I don't care how it gets done - win! Obviously a 16-13 won/loss record is not cutting it!

Say your sorry for all the personal insults you threw at the non-pumpers on the board and we'll think about sympathizing.
I am not going to give you any sympathy whatsoever! You're always busting my chops with your stupid comments! About being a Bo lover and this n that. I am a lover of winning NU football period! I don't care how it gets done - win! Obviously a 16-13 won/loss record is not cutting it!
Fair enough… I'll take my lumps. In an effort to defend the coaches, I've offended fans on a freaking message board. My apologies.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace

Would appreciate some sympathy rather than piling on, but I guess not everybody can do that...
You don't need sympathy. You are on the right side of things and I think anybody with any sense knows that the crappy play can't continue or Riley will get canned. We spotted them 14 points, had multiple 1st downs flushed by O line penalties, and couldn't run the ball. None of those can continue and Riley knows it. At the same time, I will continue to support our staff until they are no longer our staff. I STILL think we can win the west. This next week is critical. IF we play well and win this ship can be righted.

You don't need sympathy. You are on the right side of things and I think anybody with any sense knows that the crappy play can't continue or Riley will get canned. We spotted them 14 points, had multiple 1st downs flushed by O line penalties, and couldn't run the ball. None of those can continue and Riley knows it. At the same time, I will continue to support our staff until they are no longer our staff. I STILL think we can win the west. This next week is critical. IF we play well and win this ship can be righted.
Such a troll.

Fair enough… I'll take my lumps. In an effort to defend the coaches, I've offended fans on a freaking message board. My apologies.
huh.gif

Thanks for the pep talk. I needed it.

Morgan and ThereIsNoPlace have reminded me why I don't like them.

Thanks for the pep talk. I needed it.

Morgan and ThereIsNoPlace have reminded me why I don't like them.
Somebody needs to cue Baghdad Bob or whatever his name was. That's what I feel like posting that, but I really do think IF Lee quits throwing the picks that we can win the west. Big IF BUT.....

I thought SE & MR were crap from the beginning. I wasn't against the change to a new coach, but hiring Riley was a major fail. This team will be lucky to have a .500 season.
I hope the team is successful, but I've seen no reason for optimism. Today was as bad as any loss the Huskers have suffered in recent years.

You're delusional but we have a professional staff!
Nope. The season isn't over. I think we have more talent than we're showing and have shot ourselves in the foot way too many times to win games. IF we can quit SELF-destructing we can win some games in the B1G. I'm not sold on anybody in the west yet.

You have piled on others many times, but now you want to call a time out?? Thats funny.. remember this and think about how others might feel when you are posting sometime. A little taste of your own medicine works wonders.

Says the guy who just cried about being offended and not getting sympathy....
Tim, it's good to see your honesty here but it's true, you were one of the folks who acted like people weren't real fans or were Bo fans because they questioned Riley. There were times you defended the coaches which is fine and I'm ok with hope and optimism (heck I predicted ten wins and really believed it was turning around) but attacking posters as non fans or pelini fans because they raised some doubts about glaring issues isn't simply defending coaches.
It doesn't matter right now, I guess. There are no winners in this situation. Nebraska is down, perhaps further than ever, and stuck between the "fire him or too soon"? dillema the rest of the year.

I know, I know, I sound like a little baby.

I deserve what I get in this thread. Fire away. And I won't ask for sympathy again... actually embarrassed I did in the first place.

Personally, I'm not for the whole musical chairs game of coaches we have going on. It looks really bad to potential recruits and coaches. 3 years isn't enough time for a coach to get a good shot to establish his team and get his recruits in the program but, if we are as bad as I think we are and we only win 3 or 4 games. It will be sufficient enough evidence to can Riley.

Reactions: timnsun
Says the guy who just cried about being offended and not getting sympathy....
Tim, it's good to see your honesty here but it's true, you were one of the folks who acted like people weren't real fans or were Bo fans because they questioned Riley. There were times you defended the coaches which is fine and I'm ok with hope and optimism (heck I predicted ten wins and really believed it was turning around) but attacking posters as non fans or pelini fans because they raised some doubts about glaring issues isn't simply defending coaches.
It doesn't matter right now, I guess. There are no winners in this situation. Nebraska is down, perhaps further than ever, and stuck between the "fire him or too soon"? dillema the rest of the year.
The one thing I will say is I tried very hard not to label people as Pelini fans... I fear I am lumped in with guys like that do to the bashing of those who were not fans of Riley. I did come on strong against folks who didn't think Riley could get it done. But I think, if someone wanted to do the research, I used the Pelini supporter argument very sparingly, if at all.

Not saying never, but I tried very hard not to label people that way.

You don't know me well enough to not like me. You ONLY know I didn't like the Riley hire, that's it. If that's how you choose friends?.......what a sad little man.
My apologies... I would never want to jeopardize our potential real life friendship by something I said on this board... I should have said "why I don't like their posting style."

Happy?

The one thing I will say is I tried very hard not to label people as Pelini fans... I fear I am lumped in with guys like that do to the bashing of those who were not fans of Riley. I did come on strong against folks who didn't think Riley could get it done. But I think, if someone wanted to do the research, I used the Pelini supporter argument very sparingly, if at all.

Not saying never, but I tried very hard not to label people that way.
Fair enough. And there were times I agreed with your sentiments against certain posters so I can't say all of your posts were too strong or unfair attacks.

If we keep hitting reset, we will never establish anything. In order to rebuild, we have to stick with someone and let them slowly build. It's the only way we will get back to being a respected program. Every time you hire a new coach, you have to start over and take a step back from day 1. Idk if Riley is the answer, but I know that we can't know for sure after just 3 years. It took Dabo years to build up Clemson. Consistency breeds success in college football. Look at Texas. They have talent and they have coveted coaches but can't win because they don't give anyone long enough to build

If we keep hitting reset, we will never establish anything. In order to rebuild, we have to stick with someone and let them slowly build. It's the only way we will get back to being a respected program. Every time you hire a new coach, you have to start over and take a step back from day 1. Idk if Riley is the answer, but I know that we can't know for sure after just 3 years. It took Dabo years to build up Clemson. Consistency breeds success in college football. Look at Texas. They have talent and they have coveted coaches but can't win because they don't give anyone long enough to build
Such BS. Penn St is evidence.

Reactions: Morgan747
The thing that people keep forgetting is Riley is 64. Dabo had time to build. Riley has no time!

Slowly rebuild? With a 64 year old coach...then what, hand they keys off to Langsdorf? Sorry....if this was going to be a slow rebuild we picked the wrong guy. Hell, we picked the wrong guy regardless. Just another unbelievable F up by the athletic department.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT