ADVERTISEMENT

Why such a long dry spell for recruiting?

Nebraska Fan

Graduate Assistant
Sep 1, 2004
Seems Riley had a couple impressive months early and then the wheels came off. Are the fans just having their emotions played by the media machine?

bsi.gif

Maybe like that but I will say after all the braggadocio 4* here 5* there one
3* player during the season doesn't seem like Nebraska is getting value for the investment.

Well, they are being dumb by telling recruits they can't visit because they have some dumb max number of recruits that can visit for a position. They told a high 4-star that he couldn't visit this past weekend because four other WR's visited and one of those guys wants nothing to do with Nebraska after the visit. Idiots. And people wonder why that certain coach has failed to fill his scholarship numbers every year since he has been here.

Well, they are being dumb by telling recruits they can't visit because they have some dumb max number of recruits that can visit for a position. They told a high 4-star that he couldn't visit this past weekend because four other WR's visited and one of those guys wants nothing to do with Nebraska after the visit. Idiots. And people wonder why that certain coach has failed to fill his scholarship numbers every year since he has been here.
Really? Can you show proof?

Maybe like that but I will say after all the braggadocio 4* here 5* there one
3* player during the season doesn't seem like Nebraska is getting value for the investment.
Do we have to have this conversation every year? Last year we went something like 3 months between recruits, if you remember...

And people complained then as well.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Do we have to have this conversation every year? Last year we went something like 3 months between recruits, if you remember...

And people complained then as well.
I am posing a question and as I remember the complaints were aimed at Pelini.

I don't believe results have matched the hype and there were some really loud enthusiasts leading up to the season.

Coming into the season this was absolutely the most hyped recruiting cycle in the history of Nebraska football.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
They told a high 4-star that he couldn't visit this past weekend because four other WR's visited
We told Jalen Hall to hold off this past weekend.

and one of those guys wants nothing to do with Nebraska after the visit.
Which WR from last week wants nothing to do with Nebraska after visiting? You've got to be talking about either Hightower or Bush. One is committed to Miami and the other is a Texas lean I believe.

Reactions: dinglefritz
We need to be getting commits every day, I guess... last Friday was so long ago.

OP is damn lucky this forum doesn't archive from the previous staff. His recruiting takes were a pile of shit & haven't changed.

Really? Can you show proof?

Wasting time responding to nebfaninwisconsin or whatever the hell his previous account name was. Biggest creep to ever post on HOL.

A) This staff doesn't do a very good job recruiting during the season. Just like last year, they had a hot spring and summer, and totally fizzled out during the season.

B) More importantly, not many recruits will sign on with this kind of uncertainty. I think guys like Tutt and Crocker would have already committed, if they were sure the staff would be around next year. Can't blame them for holding off, under the circumstances.

OP is damn lucky this forum doesn't archive from the previous staff. His recruiting takes were a pile of shit & haven't changed.

Wasting time responding to nebfaninwisconsin or whatever the hell his previous account name was. Biggest creep to ever post on HOL.
You are certainly opinionated and I guess that is ok but the monkey is off Pelini and on to Riley.

If you care to look I have had the same account since Sept 2004. Lots of posters same acidity you display gone to the heap. You might want to step back and see the whole picture.

You are certainly opinionated and I guess that is ok but the monkey is off Pelini and on to Riley.

If you care to look I have had the same account since Sept 2004. Lots of posters same acidity you display gone to the heap. You might want to step back and see the whole picture.

Hes talking about colesastherb not you

I’m so sick of the people seduced by click bait recruiting sites and contending we ‘always’ have superior talent. Look at the all big ten teams the past couple of years. It clearly shows our talent isn’t as good as Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU, PSU, Michigan, and OSU. Heck, Iowa’s back up qb was a 4 Star, and their 3 Star starter has thrown what, 17 tds and 2 picks. The horror.

Last I understood on a football team olineman, dlineman, backers, dbs, TEs, rb all have equal value. Our recruiting prowess is smoke and mirrors, and many of you fools keep buying it. Carriker even had the gaul to say we had better talent than Wisconsin. Where? Gonna love our great sunbelt talent when November weather blows in.

He double hockey sticks, Last year people said the same thing about Iowa, specifically ranting on #83 that ran by our ‘superior’ talent. That little receiver is on a nfl roster...our ‘superior talent’ at backer and dbs...nope, or still in college getting run past and over by Wisconsin’s lesser talent. Get off the sites and use your eyeballs.

Reactions: oldjar07
I’m so sick of the people seduced by click bait recruiting sites and contending we ‘always’ have superior talent. Look at the all big ten teams the past couple of years. It clearly shows our talent isn’t as good as Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU, PSU, Michigan, and OSU. Heck, Iowa’s back up qb was a 4 Star, and their 3 Star starter has thrown what, 17 tds and 2 picks. The horror.

Last I understood on a football team olineman, dlineman, backers, dbs, TEs, rb all have equal value. Our recruiting prowess is smoke and mirrors, and many of you fools keep buying it. Carriker even had the gaul to say we had better talent than Wisconsin. Where? Gonna love our great sunbelt talent when November weather blows in.

He double hockey sticks, Last year people said the same thing about Iowa, specifically ranting on #83 that ran by our ‘superior’ talent. That little receiver is on a nfl roster...our ‘superior talent’ at backer and dbs...nope, or still in college getting run past and over by Wisconsin’s lesser talent. Get off the sites and use your eyeballs.
So if Frost (or anyone else, for that matter) comes in and lights it up next year, will our talent all of a sudden have gotten better?

For the longest time I didn’t want the issue to be coaching, but it’s increasingly difficult to look past this issue.

A) This staff doesn't do a very good job recruiting during the season. Just like last year, they had a hot spring and summer, and totally fizzled out during the season.

B) More importantly, not many recruits will sign on with this kind of uncertainty. I think guys like Tutt and Crocker would have already committed, if they were sure the staff would be around next year. Can't blame them for holding off, under the circumstances.

Honestly, I think 95% or greater of the coaches out there would recruit with less intensity if they fear for their jobs. There's more concern for the present and I think it's only natural to care a little less about the future of the program if you think you may not be a part of that future. That's something that plagued recruiting efforts of the final two years of Bo's era, which continues to hamper us today.

So if Frost (or anyone else, for that matter) comes in and lights it up next year, will our talent all of a sudden have gotten better?

For the longest time I didn’t want the issue to be coaching, but it’s increasingly difficult to look past this issue.
Of course coaching matters. It’s big reason we are looking up at at least half of the conference. But guys like carriker take jabs at wisky’s talent. Who ion our D would start for them? How about the O. Without going position by position, we’d have 5-7 of the 22....by by gosh we have better talent because a internet based recruiting service said so

Reactions: nu2u
Of course coaching matters. It’s big reason we are looking up at at least half of the conference. But guys like carriker take jabs at wisky’s talent. Who ion our D would start for them? How about the O. Without going position by position, we’d have 5-7 of the 22....by by gosh we have better talent because a internet based recruiting service said so
All I’m saying is if we change the coaching staff and these guys play fast and confident, we may be singing a different tune. Maybe not, I don’t know... but it happens quite often that a different coaching staff gets more out of their players...

It’s possible that the recruiting sites know what they are talking about and we are more talented than we are showing...

Reactions: BigRedLegion
I agree that a new staff could lead to better play. However, I don’t agree on recruiting sites. It’s a cottage industry.

I was reading about a kid, lineman, a 4* committed to a good, but not OSU, big ten school and dropped to a 3 Star. A 3 * lineman commited to bama, became a 4*...this was before the season and after camps(which by the way, many are sponsored br ranking enterprises). Whacked. And, complicating it more, some schools subscribe to services to screen pkayers. I do not know if Reilly’s crew does.

IMO, my 17 year old daughter could pick out a 5* player, but the difference b/w some 2s, and 3s and 4s is negligible at best.

I agree that a new staff could lead to better play. However, I don’t agree on recruiting sites. It’s a cottage industry.

I was reading about a kid, lineman, a 4* committed to a good, but not OSU, big ten school and dropped to a 3 Star. A 3 * lineman commited to bama, became a 4*...this was before the season and after camps(which by the way, many are sponsored br ranking enterprises). Whacked. And, complicating it more, some schools subscribe to services to screen pkayers. I do not know if Reilly’s crew does.

IMO, my 17 year old daughter could pick out a 5* player, but the difference b/w some 2s, and 3s and 4s is negligible at best.
I don’t doubt the somewhat arbitrary nature of the recruiting sites. But I don’t think they get entire teams wrong. At least, I don’t think so.

Reactions: HuskerO
Every recruiting service has said so. Nearly every other good school says so too because Wisky's guys barely get offers from good Power 5 schools. We bring in better talent.

However, here is an important word that helps this all make sense. "Development."

One of the recriutniks needs to see where all these guys were. Outside of OSU and some Mich probably going to see a lot of 3s. More sobering, one Cornhusker
Every recruiting service has said so. Nearly every other good school says so too because Wisky's guys barely get offers from good Power 5 schools. We bring in better talent.

However, here is an important word that helps this all make sense. "Development."
no they don’t. Very few solid programs and coaches care about that $hit. They scout and rank players themselves. Some however do use screening service to do the leg work.and, yes development matters...but development programs evaluate and project talent...they don’t just take leftover and get lucky

One of the recriutniks needs to see where all these guys were. Outside of OSU and some Mich probably going to see a lot of 3s. More sobering, one Cornhusker

no they don’t. Very few solid programs and coaches care about that $hit. They scout and rank players themselves. Some however do use screening service to do the leg work.and, yes development matters...but development programs evaluate and project talent...they don’t just take leftover and get lucky
I meant that every other school agrees about Wisky's recruits not being all that talented because good schools are not giving those Wisky guys offers.

You say coaching matters and then you say we don't have wisky talent.
Let me try to slow this down for you:
Part of coaching is developing players. They do things called drills, weight training, film sessions, and practices. During these practices, different teams will spend their time in different ways depending on what the coaching staff thinks will help their players, and team, improve.
This development takes place over the course of the year but is especially important in fall practices and in season practices.
Wisconsins coaches are much better than ours at it, therefore their players appear more talented because they play better, faster, more confident, smarter and tougher than ours do because they are more prepared.
Which team is actually more talented is moot as it's not much different either way.
Wisconsin coaches are better than ours. That's the difference.

I meant that every other school agrees about Wisky's recruits not being all that talented because good schools are not giving those Wisky guys offers.
I’m not sure about that. What do you consider other good schools?

It’s easier if you just admit the magazines and websites that rank players, and take $ out of your pocket, are run by guys that haven’t coached, but prey upon the gullible and making a few bucks in the process.

The real key IMO is being in proximity to a big population of players. It’s a disadvantage for Nebraska. I have a kid that is being recruited (different sport) ... when it gets down to it, going far away is hard. ‘Better’ offers in most minds are getting turned down, being w/in driving distance of family so we can watch, winning out.

Our Calibraska players aren’t USC or UCLA TOP targets, but all went to the right camps (and are good players), then Fla kids that FSU, Fla, et al don’t prioritize, we have a shot. We are getting things that might work, and currently aren’t. Will be interesting how our bayou QB and his sun belt wrs will do when cold winds howl.

Sorry for the rant. Everyone is frustrated, I’m just in the cynical camp that recruiting rankings are mostly bunk, and the repeated claims we have better talent is arrogant, self defeating and false. iowa, Wisky, MSU are clearly better developers, and osu ,mich, and PSU have forever been surrounded by players in their back yard.

That said, we all want the same thing. So much seems disfunctional, and it’s frustrating with no easy out. Peace

Wisconsin gets the players they want. They probably get better recruiting rankings if they wanted to, but they recruit players that fit their system, and those players are successful in that system. If the players are having success and good enough to be a top 10 team, they obviously have talent.

Reactions: cecilB and TFrazier

What makes Wisconsin click is Alverez. Coaches come and go but the identity stays what Nebraska used to be.

What makes Wisconsin click is Alverez. Coaches come and go but the identity stays what Nebraska used to be.
Yes, but Alvy took equal measure of influence from Hayden Fry, Lou Holts as he did Bob Devaney. It’s well noted...google is our friend.

What I think your trying to say is ... continuity. We use to have it, they along with a few others now do

Reactions: coachDubs
Yes, but Alvy took equal measure of influence from Hayden Fry, Lou Holts as he did Bob Devaney. It’s well noted...google is our friend.

What I think your trying to say is ... continuity. We use to have it, they along with a few others now do
I am confident they don't have pussy practices like Nebraska.

You're wasting time responding to him. He has zero interest in discussing anything unless his coach (see below gif) is the head coach.

KOG0zn.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT