ADVERTISEMENT

Who is going to replace Banker, and Stewart

He was at K State for a single season and left to go back to the NFL. He is now coaching receivers
Since you have a reason why everyone is not coming here. Share with us your list of possibilities. Since you claim to be so certain on your "Why the hell would that person come to lincoln?" posts. Are we going to pull someone from Iowa Western, SW Missouri State ect... I mean that is all we can realistically get right?

Since you have a reason why everyone is not coming here. Share with us your list of possibilities. Since you claim to be so certain on your "Why the hell would that person come to lincoln?" posts. Are we going to pull someone from Iowa Western, SW Missouri State ect... I mean that is all we can realistically get right?

Typical emotional response from someone with zero subjectivity. Why does it have to be either Dave Aranda or a coach from Iowa Western? The extremes argument is just so ridiculous. There are literally hundreds of coaches that would be a good fit and do a tremendous job at Nebraska. I can't name them all. But rest assured, it will not be Dave Aranda, Jeremy Pruitt, or Brent Venebles. It's the same reason why Les Miles, Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney didn't take the job as head coach after Pelini was fired. You see the jobs they currently have are better than the job Nebraska has open.

So yes we have to set our sights a little lower than the top 3 DCs in the country.

I could see Bob Diaco, Charlie Partidge, Paul Rhoads, Gene Chizik. maybe a Demetrice Martin from the college ranks.

Last edited:
Typical emotional response from someone with zero subjectivity. Why does it have to be either Dave Aranda or a coach from Iowa Western? The extremes argument is just so ridiculous. There are literally hundreds of coaches that would be a good fit and do a tremendous job at Nebraska. I can't name them all. But rest assured, it will not be Dave Aranda, Jeremy Pruitt, or Brent Venebles. It's the same reason why Les Miles, Nick Saban and David Swinney didn't take the job as head coach after Pelini was fired. You see the jobs they currently have are better than the job Nebraska has open.

So yes we have to set our sights a little lower than the top 3 DCs in the country.

I could see Bob Diaco, Charlie Partidge, Paul Rhoads, Gene Chizik. maybe a Demetrice Martin from the college ranks.
Gene Chizik... Wouldn't that be to high of standards for someone like you? He won a National Championship as a head coach. Doesn't that make him out of reach for a school like Nebraska?

Gene Chizik... Wouldn't that be to high of standards for someone like you? He won a National Championship as a head coach. Doesn't that make him out of reach for a school like Nebraska?

He is the DC at North Carolina. I can't imagine why he would be too high for us.

See again with the angry post.

Here is the difference between Gene Chizik and Dave Aranda. Chizik is making about $700k per year at UNC. He could receive a bump to $1mil and be a realistic option. To get Dave Aranda, Nebraska would have to get over $2 mil per year.

One is realistic, the other is a pipe dream. See the difference.

See again with the angry post.

Here is the difference between Gene Chizik and Dave Aranda. Chizik is making about $700k per year at UNC. He could receive a bump to $1mil and be a realistic option. To get Dave Aranda, Nebraska would have to get over $2 mil per year.

One is realistic, the other is a pipe dream. See the difference.
One will get us where we need to be... You pay for quality if it is for certain

Chizic is a roller coaster ride

The one with the national championship? Or the one never to have won a conference title? I'm confused?
No I mean this guy

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Iowa State Cyclones
(Big 12 Conference) (2007–2008)
2007 Iowa State 3–9 2–6 T–5th (North)
2008 Iowa State 2–10 0–8 6th (North)
Iowa State: 5–19 2–14
Auburn Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (2009–2012)
2009 Auburn 8–5 3–5 T–4th (Western) W Outback
2010 Auburn 14–0 8–0 1st (Western) W BCS NCG† 1 1
2011 Auburn 8–5 4–4 4th (Western) W Chick-fil-A
2012 Auburn 3–9 0–8 7th (Western)
Auburn: 33–19 15–17
Total: 38–38

You don't go 2-10 to 14-0 to 3-9

You know Roller Coaster... Up... Down... Up... Down

Kinda exactly like I said

No I mean this guy

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Iowa State Cyclones
(Big 12 Conference) (2007–2008)
2007 Iowa State 3–9 2–6 T–5th (North)
2008 Iowa State 2–10 0–8 6th (North)
Iowa State: 5–19 2–14
Auburn Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (2009–2012)
2009 Auburn 8–5 3–5 T–4th (Western) W Outback
2010 Auburn 14–0 8–0 1st (Western) W BCS NCG† 1 1
2011 Auburn 8–5 4–4 4th (Western) W Chick-fil-A
2012 Auburn 3–9 0–8 7th (Western)
Auburn: 33–19 15–17
Total: 38–38

You don't go 2-10 to 14-0 to 3-9

You know Roller Coaster... Up... Down... Up... Down

Kinda exactly like I said

He won't be the HC.

Not to also smash potential hopes, Clouse thought it would probably not necessarily be a "household" name either.

Typical emotional response from someone with zero subjectivity. Why does it have to be either Dave Aranda or a coach from Iowa Western? The extremes argument is just so ridiculous. There are literally hundreds of coaches that would be a good fit and do a tremendous job at Nebraska. I can't name them all. But rest assured, it will not be Dave Aranda, Jeremy Pruitt, or Brent Venebles. It's the same reason why Les Miles, Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney didn't take the job as head coach after Pelini was fired. You see the jobs they currently have are better than the job Nebraska has open.

You might want to through Jay Sawvel on your list... You know so you can look all knowing if he is indeed the guy! Definite "realist" guess too

You might want to through Jay Sawvel on your list... You know so you can look all knowing if he is indeed the guy! Definite "realist" guess too
I think whoever it turns out we hire, it is going to be someone who has a good track record as a recruiter. Does Sawvel fit that description?

He won't be the HC.

Not to also smash potential hopes, Clouse thought it would probably not necessarily be a "household" name either.
Damnit... ah shucks

That really stinks!

I am not dumb... I just don't like it when people act like they know for certain when, where and why something is going to happen. You can go ahead and bring up Darnay Holmes, but I was basing that on things I read and saw.

People I am referring to, are the folks that base it on a feeling they have that one destination(Nebraska) is not as good as another (LSU)

I think whoever it turns out we hire, it is going to be someone who has a good track record as a recruiter. Does Sawvel fit that description?
Not at all, but who said that this hire is about recruiting? Just us right?

You sure do get emotional and angry because Dave Aranda isn't going to be the new DC.

This just in.......Bill Cowher will not be named head coach at Nebraska. Also John Gruden also removed his name from consideration.

You sure do get emotional and angry because Dave Aranda isn't going to be the new DC.

This just in.......Bill Cowher will not be named head coach at Nebraska. Also John Gruden also removed his name from consideration.
I'm not angry... I am annoyed at people so overly confident like yourself!

I would love to get Aranda, but I am not holding my breath

Not at all, but who said that this hire is about recruiting? Just us right?

So you are saying that Riley might just hire a guy who has a very poor track record as a recruiter, but who is a good player development and scheme guy only? The latter is, of course, absolutely required. First and foremost, you have to be able to coach the game. But the former, recruiting, is also required. And even though you are correct that I have zero insider information as to what Riley's hiring criteria are, I would wager good money that the ability to recruit elite talent to Lincoln is a top priority and an essential criterion for the new hire

Damnit... ah shucks

That really stinks!

I am not dumb... I just don't like it when people act like they know for certain when, where and why something is going to happen. You can go ahead and bring up Darnay Holmes, but I was basing that on things I read and saw.

People I am referring to, are the folks that base it on a feeling they have that one destination(Nebraska) is not as good as another (LSU)

Household name is subjective. Bob Diaco is a well known name to me and anybody who really follows it at a sort of deeper level. I would submit though, that he's not a household name for most of CFB fandom that's calling in and asking basic questions on radio shows.

I don't think its really a feeling. Coaches and recruiting analysts have been pretty transparent about how how they rate job like Nebraska's. Lack of a built in talent base funnels down options to the "right" person.

Household name is subjective. Bob Diaco is a well known name to me and anybody who really follows it at a sort of deeper level. I would submit though, that he's not a household name for most of CFB fandom that's calling in and asking basic questions on radio shows.

I don't think its really a feeling. Coaches and recruiting analysts have been pretty transparent about how how they rate job like Nebraska's. Lack of a built in talent base funnels down options to the "right" person.
That is the problem I have with this view point. Coaches and recruiting analysts can rate a job any way they want, but every situation is different. Who knows what a Dave Aranda is feeling. Maybe he doesn't like Ed Orgeron at all and wants back in the B1G. Is that the case here, probably not... but to say you know for certain one way or the other is once again asinine!

Let's say Scott Frost got offered the HC job here and LSU. If both offers pay the same salary, where would he pick? I would assume Nebraska, because of his ties here right?

Emotion and ties to a program or conference mean a hell of a lot more than some paperwork about "Head coaching job ratings"!

That is the problem I have with this view point. Coaches and recruiting analysts can rate a job any way they want, but every situation is different. Who knows what a Dave Aranda is feeling. Maybe he doesn't like Ed Orgeron at all and wants back in the B1G. Is that the case here, probably not, but to say you know for certain one way or the other is once again asinine!

Let's say Scott Frost got offered the HC job here and LSU. Both offers pay the same salary. Where would he pick? I would assume Nebraska, because of his ties here right?

Emotion and ties to a program or conference mean a hell of a lot more than some paperwork about "Head coaching job ratings"!

Yah but Scott Frost is probably the only coach in America for who it is *undoubtedly* true.

While we get tired of the trope about small states and all that, it is the general case that Ferrari's similar to ours, sometimes have a key upgrade or two that makes them a little bit more desirable to folks that just don't care if their car is this particular shade of red.

Yah but Scott Frost is probably the only coach in America for who it is *undoubtedly* true.

While we get tired of the trope about small states and all that, it is the general case that Ferrari's similar to ours, sometimes have a key upgrade or two that makes them a little bit more desirable to folks that just don't care if their car is this particular shade of red.
How about Craig Bohl?

Of course I could be wrong. Ed O is celebrating being selected as the new DC at NU? :)

How about Craig Bohl?

Maybe 2.

His wife's brother works with me, and he makes it sound like Craig would be happy enough to never set foot in here again. From afar, that opinion seems fairly well supported in the radio interviews he did at NDSU with 1620.

Johnson was just hired by Temple yesterday, nothing to do with Temple's defense. He was the DB's coach at Purdue, Temple's DC followed Rhule to Baylor.

ok, I just figured they were a smaller school we might get a up and coming DC from.
I don't see us tearing away michigan or bama's DC, but them 2 colleges I posted were right behind them on total defense. san deigo state wasn't too far back either.

really I'm suprised we are canning defensive guy's when NU is ranked #30 on defense, and not even in the top 50 on offense.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21

ok, I just figured they were a smaller school we might get a up and coming DC from.
I don't see us tearing away michigan or bama's DC, but them 2 colleges I posted were right behind them on total defense. san deigo state wasn't too far back either.

really I'm suprised we are canning defensive guy's when NU is ranked #30 on defense, and not even in the top 50 on offense.

Offense had to deal with far more injuries. And giving up 40 to Iowa and 62 tOSU is no way to live

Having no QB down the stretch and the OL being what it was, was probably a contributing factor.

I think Langsdorf is here for the stretch, his pro style QB's are either going to take us the distance or they won't.

IMO he's the one guy Riley doesn't fire. If we're good, he potentially inherits the program, if we're not, it doesn't matter, they are all going.

Reactions: LBremser
I heard it from "my guy on the inside". Told me to not say who specifically until it's done or they don't agree to terms. Should know more in the morning.

Btw not Singletary
Travis Jones
Jerry Azzinaro
Mike Waufle
Giff Smith
Jethro Franklin

They are the West Coast D-Line coaches... Haven't heard any of these names yet, so if you are correct I'll give you a little less crap

Oh the excitement is building... ha. I love it when this board explodes with all of these various theories on new hires. I am not being sarcastic. I actually learn a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT