ADVERTISEMENT

Who becomes our "automatic" win( not literal)(long term)?

I get what you are saying. Im saying think positive. Don't think of type of team that loses to Troy. Think of team that beats them by 40 and has our 3rd string in by half time. Think of a team that goes toe to toe with teams like Bama, Ohio st and Clemson. If we get to that level I don't care how good teams like NW, Purdue or Iowa are. They will never be that good, and we still beat them by 2 or 3 tds. That was the mentality back in the 90s. That is the mentality this program and our fan base has lost. Expect to win and win big, every game. Will it happen every game, of course not. We need to start being pissed when it doesn't. Not just shaking our head and saying, "Oh well" like we have gotten use to.
It's got nothing to do with staying positive . As a fan I can't do anything but support and cheer. The way I think doesn't win games. I can see why opposing fans laugh at us. Could and should don't help. Win ...repeatedly for starters. Iowa doesn't care about our past or what we think we are, they just come to kick ass. Till we beat them down or just win a game against Wisconsin I don't see how anyone could think we're back. We need to prove it. I know this burns in Frosts rhetoric.

Reactions: tarheelhusker
It's got nothing to do with staying positive . As a fan I can't do anything but support and cheer. The way I think doesn't win games. I can see why opposing fans laugh at us. Could and should don't help. Win ...repeatedly for starters. Iowa doesn't care about our past or what we think we are, they just come to kick ass. Till we beat them down or just win a game against Wisconsin I don't see how anyone could think we're back. We need to prove it. I know this burns in Frosts rhetoric.
I agree, we do need to prove it. We haven't. That is why I didn't say we were back or that I thought we would be beating all these teams this year or in the very near future. I am simply saying if this can get going and look something like it did in the 90s. I believe that is what we are all wanting. There is no reason we don't dominate most teams in the BIG10 except for 2 or 3. If we never get to that point. Then I hope we are very disappointed because that should be the goal in the future. We don't want to be Iowa where getting to 9 wins and a bowl game is a successful season.

I agree, we do need to prove it. We haven't. That is why I didn't say we were back or that I thought we would be beating all these teams this year or in the very near future. I am simply saying if this can get going and look something like it did in the 90s. I believe that is what we are all wanting. There is no reason we don't dominate most teams in the BIG10 except for 2 or 3. If we never get to that point. Then I hope we are very disappointed because that should be the goal in the future. We don't want to be Iowa where getting to 9 wins and a bowl game is a successful season.
I will take 8 wins and a bowl game this year. We're still building.

Lol Man some of you are so literal. This wasn't meant to be written in stone type of thing. Similar to how we all predict the scores of games, predict who next coaches will be, predict our record every year, predict bowls games. ect. It was mean to a prediction, be fun and to hear peoples opinions.
Of course we can't see into the future. Of course things can change. UNL or other teams could go bankrupts over the next 50 years and not even have a team.
Like 99.9% of stuff on this board most is guessing, speculation, and opinion. It is an opinion, we all have them. My opinion is posted above.
Not a dumb exercise. Getting our culture back to near where it was, means we need to begin to assert our will over more mediocre programs — unless we are satisfied with wallowing in mediocrity. And I don’t think Frost came here to coach a middle of the pack team. So speculating on what our future might be is something many/most fans do, and is completely appropriate. Getting back to your list: tend to agree with most of it, though I believe NW and Iowa will become a bit more like Missouri and Colorado were in the old Big Eight — they’ll never be pushovers.

Reactions: husker2612
I will take 8 wins and a bowl game this year. We're still building.
100% agree. I will be happy with 8 wins this year. Even the next year. I just hope fans are not happy with that 5 years from now.

In the BIG12/8 days we had teams we could pretty well pencil in a W. Teams like Baylor, Colorado, Iowa St, Kansas, K St, Okla St. Now that this things seems to be back on track. Who do you think becomes our "automatic win" ( not meant to be literal) we expect to beat pretty consistently ( at least 75% of the time). Who becomes the teams we compete with and go 50/ 50 with. Who are the team we struggle to beat.

My Automatic wins: Illinois, Minn, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Iowa, Purdue, NW
My 50/50: Wisc, Mich St, Penn St
My Struggle to beat: Michigan, Ohio St

*Didn't think I needed this but apparently I do. This is for fun and entertainment purposes only. Yes I realize teams can change over time. This is just my opinion. Feel free to have a different one. There, think I fixed to avoid further confusion.
Iowa isn’t an automatic win for OSU, Michigan, or Penn State. Why would they become one for Nebraska?

I think the west is only getting better with Purdue, Minnesota, and the consistency of NW. No automatic wins except maybe Illinois and Rutgers.

Iowa isn’t an automatic win for OSU, Michigan, or Penn State. Why would they become one for Nebraska?

I think the west is only getting better with Purdue, Minnesota, and the consistency of NW. No automatic wins except maybe Illinois and Rutgers.

Ahh, I realize that Iowa beat tOSU the last time they played them, but going on 8 years now, Nebraska been in the conference Iowa has only played tOSU twice and Iowa only beaten them twice since 1992..

He meant almost automatic.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Ahh, I realize that Iowa beat tOSU the last time they played them, but going on 8 years now, Nebraska been in the conference Iowa has only played tOSU twice and Iowa only beaten them twice since 1992..
Fair enough. But in that 8 year time frame, Iowa has lost by 3, 3, and 10 with two of those in Columbus. Not exactly “automatic” in my opinion.

Fair enough. But in that 8 year time frame, Iowa has lost by 3, 3, and 10 with two of those in Columbus. Not exactly “automatic” in my opinion.

2009 and 2010 Nebraska wasn’t in the B1G.

2013 and 2017 only two years they played..tOSU won by 10 in 2013..

Just to confirm.Winking

Ohio St record vs Iowa 47-15. Michigan record vs Iowa 41-15. I consider that about as automatic as it gets in football.
Also, Nebraska record vs Iowa 29-17 Purdue record vs Iowa 48-38. Min record vs Iowa 62-48. Penn St record vs Iowa 16-12. Illinois record vs Iowa 38-34, Michigan St record vs Iowa 22-23. Wisc record vs Iowa 47-43 Iowa has managed to dominate NW, Indiana, and Iowa St
Thats my point Outside of Ohio St and Mich. All the other BIG10 teams are somewhat close. We want to be up with Ohio St and Mich. Let the other fight over the scraps. If we can get to that level. the record shows we should beat the other teams most years.
We were the Ohio St and Michigan of the BIG12 days.

Ohio St record vs Iowa 47-15. Michigan record vs Iowa 41-15. I consider that about as automatic as it gets in football.
Also, Nebraska record vs Iowa 29-17 Purdue record vs Iowa 48-38. Min record vs Iowa 62-48. Penn St record vs Iowa 16-12. Illinois record vs Iowa 38-34, Michigan St record vs Iowa 22-23. Wisc record vs Iowa 47-43 Iowa has managed to dominate NW, Indiana, and Iowa St
Thats my point Outside of Ohio St and Mich. All the other BIG10 teams are somewhat close. We want to be up with Ohio St and Mich. Let the other fight over the scraps. If we can get to that level. the record shows we should beat the other teams most years.

Iowa has beaten Minnesota 7 of the last 10 years despite the Gophers owning the over all series by 14 games.

Iowa has beaten Minnesota 7 of the last 10 years despite the Gophers owning the over all series by 14 games.
Right, the overall record is a bit deceptive because teams do change over time. Over the last 20 years would probably be a better representation. I just couldn't find a 20 year time frame, and didn't feel like look back the last 20 years.

Atleast you admitted using numbers from WWII pry isn’t the best representation of what “automatic” means for the future. Times are different now compared to 20 years ago. NW used to be an automatic win for Iowa but that’s changed. ISU used to be an automatic win for Iowa.

There is much more parody in college football now. “Automatic” wins are few and far between unless you’re Ohio State, and Nebraska isn’t going to get to Ohio State’s level for more than a season here or there....maybe.

Also, Kirk is 7-5 against Michigan. 8-6 against PSU (lost the last five with two Iowa should have won :mad:)

100% agree. I will be happy with 8 wins this year. Even the next year. I just hope fans are not happy with that 5 years from now.
They won't. Us fans have never come complacent, we just show undying support .That is why " There is no place like Nebraska ". We have deserved better and now our patience is about to pay off....Big .

Atleast you admitted using numbers from WWII pry isn’t the best representation of what “automatic” means for the future. Times are different now compared to 20 years ago. NW used to be an automatic win for Iowa but that’s changed. ISU used to be an automatic win for Iowa.

There is much more parody in college football now. “Automatic” wins are few and far between unless you’re Ohio State, and Nebraska isn’t going to get to Ohio State’s level for more than a season here or there....maybe.

Also, Kirk is 7-5 against Michigan. 8-6 against PSU (lost the last five with two Iowa should have won :mad:)
Parody is hard to grasp for some our fans but it's been a hard reality.

Even in the BIG12/8 in our hay day, we didn't beat teams 90%-100% of the time. Not sure if there is a team in American that can beat another p5 team 90-100%. Automatic win in football is 75% of the time I would say. Didn't realize you would take it literally.
Yes we did.

Iowa has 6 wins against OSU since 1960. That's about as automatic as you can get.

Iowa has 6 wins against OSU since 1960. That's about as automatic as you can get.
It used to be automatic. It’s not anymore, which I’ve supported with more recent outcomes. Have you read the rest of the thread?

Another example for Nebraska would be Colorado. For 25 years they were an automatic win with mostly blowouts. From 1986 on, Colorado wasn’t automatic. Even the losses were close. Teams change my friend.

I’m still going to say you’re off your rocker...

Minnesota. Purdue,iowa and Northwestern will not fall into the category of automatic wins...

Sorry, get real..

What about when Kirk kicks the bucket and his limp wristed son takes over the team?

It used to be automatic. It’s not anymore, which I’ve supported with more recent outcomes. Have you read the rest of the thread?

Another example for Nebraska would be Colorado. For 25 years they were an automatic win with mostly blowouts. From 1986 on, Colorado wasn’t automatic. Even the losses were close. Teams change my friend.

Lol...

Tell me how many times Iowa has beat Ohio State in the last 30 years?
How about 20 years?
10 years?

Michigan sucks though...for so long that team has been lame yet people always act like they are amazing.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Well Scarlet you would be choosing the wrong team. Huskers and Michigan are very close but Huskers have more wins total and each team has more wins 10 times and one tie!

3 Rose Bowls,2 Orange Bowls a Sugar bowl and handful of Citrus bowls..

Better rethink your statement..
Neither programs Suck that is for sure..

I think I would be a little disappointed with 8 wins with our easy schedule. I wouldn't freak out but I would be a little disappointed. I'd be "okay" with 9 wins and stoked with 10.

Reactions: husker2612
I think I would be a little disappointed with 8 wins with our easy schedule. I wouldn't freak out but I would be a little disappointed. I'd be "okay" with 9 wins and stoked with 10.
Yep, 7 would be a disappointment. I would be happy with 8 or 9 range. I think that is the range we will end up with. However based on our easier schedule this year I think 10 is possible. 11 if everything clicks, no injuries, as perfect as we get I think. I give the odds of that less than 5% chance. I don't think 12 even remotely possible

Reactions: Earn898
We will be beating Northwestern and Iowa 3 out of every 4, and Purdue and Minnesota 4 out of every 5. Hell, Bo Pelini was 3-1 against Iowa. Frost will win at least 3 out of every 4.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8

They do change yes, but you also can't use a small sample size to judge the true direction of a program. All teams go through up and down cycles. Those cycle usually last 10-20 years. It is the longer term average that is need to really see how good or bad a programs is. 5-10 is not enough. 20 I think is even border line too short term.

They do change yes, but you also can't use a small sample size to judge the true direction of a program. All teams go through up and down cycles. Those cycle usually last 10-20 years. It is the longer term average that is need to really see how good or bad a programs is. 5-10 is not enough. 20 I think is even border line too short term.
I think the time frame changes with coaches. Using Iowa’s last 20 years and trying to compare it to Nebraska’s last 20 years to “predict” the future is not equal. I think you’d agree to that.

I don’t think that every team has a chance to become an “automatic” win or have “automatic” wins. For example, I don’t foresee Illinois, Rutgers, Minnesota as ever having a stretch where they have “automatic” wins on their schedule.

On the flip side, I don’t see Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin; having stretches where they are “automatic” wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT