ADVERTISEMENT

Which Would prefer on New Year’s Day

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
Having the two Semifinal games during the day and night. OR
Keeping the Rose and Sugar Bowl when their not involved in the CFP?

I know the Big 10 and PAC 12 has always been wanting to keep this game on New Years Day and it kept Penn St in 94 and Michigan in 97 from proving they were National Champs by passing the Alliance to play in the Rose Bowl game on New Year’s Day....

Give me the semifinals on NYD. The Rose can be played earlier in the day if they need it to be on Jan 1.

Reactions: cubsker
It might be a good idea to play one semifinal on New Year's Eve and one on New Year's Day, which would leave more TV space on New Year's Day for the other bowls. Also, if you want to watch both semifinals, you wouldn't have to spend 9 solid hours in front of your TV.

Give me the semifinals on NYD. The Rose can be played earlier in the day if they need it to be on Jan 1.

You do understand the Rose Bowl parade is a pretty big deal and that is one reason why they play the game 2:00- 2:30 on New Year’s Day...

No way they could play the game at noon pacific time and still have the playoff games on time..

I say let's just leave things as is for several years. We'll get used to it or will come up with a better idea. Don't do too much Willy nilly change too fast

When I was younger we always had the parades on TV...black and white BTW... and couldn't wait for football. We usually played pitch or board games while they were on after getting chores done. I thought they were a waste of time.

As I've gotten older I appreciate them more. But would like to watch parade without all the commentary

I say let's just leave things as is for several years. We'll get used to it or will come up with a better idea. Don't do too much Willy nilly change too fast

Not to mention hopefully down the road we’re playing in the Rose Bowl game where it isn’t a night game starting time like in 2002..

Reactions: huskerfan66
Not to mention hopefully down the road we’re playing in the Rose Bowl game where it isn’t a night game starting time like in 2002..
I know people that went to that game. They said it was one of the WORST stadiums to watch a game. Truly is a bowl. Sound dissipated and view was bad. Other than the game, they enjoyed their trip

Yeah, I don't really care I just want Huskers playing on New Years soon and in the CFP sooner rather than later!

I know people that went to that game. They said it was one of the WORST stadiums to watch a game. Truly is a bowl. Sound dissipated and view was bad. Other than the game, they enjoyed their trip

It is I have seen Nebraska play there in 1984,1993 (UCLA)2002 Rose Bowl and 2012.( UCLA)

The best seats I had was the 2012 game we sat up higher paid more but had the view of the San Gabriel mountains and it really is breath taking..

If you have to seat low it is one of the worst stadiums to watch a football game but the surrounding area is very cool..

Reactions: huskerfan66
The "Rose" must always be held on Jan 1st no matter what, some traditions are bigger than the game itself.
The Rose Bowl has been held on a different date four times since 2000. If the world came to an end, I missed it.

Reactions: cubsker
You do understand the Rose Bowl parade is a pretty big deal and that is one reason why they play the game 2:00- 2:30 on New Year’s Day...

No way they could play the game at noon pacific time and still have the playoff games on time..

I know but you asked my preferences. He’ll have the playoffs go 2 and 5pm EST and let the Grand Ego of them all play at 8p EST?

The "Rose" must always be held on Jan 1st no matter what, some traditions are bigger than the game itself.

F the Gross Bowl and the "tradition" of B10 teams running and hiding at the end of the season. I believe failrentz and fry are 0-4 in Gross Bowls, despite not playing the best team available. That's why I call it the "Grandmother of Them All" and the "Run and Hide Bowl." ped state played Oregon -- we were available. meat chicken played Wazzu -- we were available.

The Rose Bowl has been held on a different date four times since 2000. If the world came to an end, I missed it.

Not counting Sundays those 4 were Rose Bowl games didn’t involve both the Pac12 or B1G team..

I don't care what day it's played. Just don't have all the good games on at the same time.

2020-21
Wednesday, December 30
Cotton Bowl
Friday, January 1 Peach Bowl
Rose Bowl Game semifinal
Sugar Bowl semifinal
Saturday, January 2 Fiesta Bowl
Orange Bowl
Monday, January 11 CFP National Championship (Miami-South Florida)

2021-22
Thursday, December 30
Peach Bowl
Friday, December 31 Cotton Bowl semifinal
Orange Bowl semifinal
Saturday, January 1 Fiesta Bowl
Rose Bowl Game
Sugar Bowl
Monday, January 10 CFP National Championship (Indianapolis)

2022-23
Friday, December 30
Orange Bowl
Saturday, December 31 Fiesta Bowl semifinal
Peach Bowl semifinal
Monday January 2 Cotton Bowl
Rose Bowl Game
Sugar Bowl
Monday, January 9 CFP National Championship (Los Angeles)

2023-24
Friday, December 29
Peach Bowl
Saturday, December 30 Fiesta Bowl
Orange Bowl
Monday, January 1 Cotton Bowl
Rose Bowl Game semifinal
Sugar Bowl semifinal
Monday, January 8 CFP National Championship (Houston)

2024-25
Saturday, December 28
Peach Bowl
Cotton Bowl semifinal
Orange Bowl semifinal
Monday, December 30 Fiesta Bowl
Wednesday, January 1 Rose Bowl Game
Sugar Bowl
Monday, January 6 CFP National Championship (site TBD)

2025-26
Saturday, December 27
Cotton Bowl
Fiesta Bowl semifinal
Peach Bowl semifinal
Tuesday, December 30 Orange Bowl
Thursday, January 1 Rose Bowl Game
Sugar Bowl
Monday, January 5 CFP National Championship (site TBD)

Reactions: scarletred
Imo they need to have the national championship game on January 1 no later than January 2. Anything later you start running into the nfl playoffs and college football takes a back seat. I remember when Ohio st won it in 2015 I believe, none of the national sports media even talked about that game, it was all nfl playoffs

Imo they need to have the national championship game on January 1 no later than January 2. Anything later you start running into the nfl playoffs and college football takes a back seat. I remember when Ohio st won it in 2015 I believe, none of the national sports media even talked about that game, it was all nfl playoffs

I disagree.. I can see the semifinals on New Year’s Day...And that is why they have the national title game on a Monday night after the fact the NFL has playoff games over the weekend..

This years game won’t be falling on empty ears..

Next year will be a perfect finale..

Last edited:
I personally had no problem with the way it used to be. The Cotton, Fiesta, Rose, Orange & Sugar were all on New Year's day or Jan 2nd if the first fell on a Sunday. It was awesome having 3 tvs set up in the living room watching games all day long.

Of course NBC, CBS & ABC each carried games and some overlapped but it was that way for a long time. Heck the Citrus, Gator & Outback bowls joined the New Year's day schedule.

Then the almighty ESPN had to come along and bought the rights to most of the bowls in sinc with the Bowl Alliance then BCS and ended the head to head & overlapping of games.

Wish they could figure out a way to get it back to the way it used to be and have the title game a week later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT