ADVERTISEMENT

Which positions are hardest/easiest to coach at P5 level?

HuskerAlum92

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 8, 2007
I’ve noticed that replacing assistant coaches is a fun topic for the Frost fan club. The notion that replacing assistants justifies more time for the biggest loser coach currently in P5 makes me ill, but let’s twist the narrative to something more abstract and easier to stomach.

Which assistant coach job is hardest?
Which assistant coach job is easiest?

My thoughts….

OL coach is hardest because the unit consists of 5 players and requires such coordinated adjustments to be effective. And bodies usually need some growth and maturation before being physically ready to play, and this results in more projection in HS players evaluation.

RB coach has a much easier job. You need speed and vision which is mostly god-given and the RB coach primarily needs to recognize/recruit it. The tougher part for the RB coach is teaching playbook and pass protection, but even fans are patient if they recognize speed/vision in their true freshman RBs.

Also, if we wanted to make room for a full special teams coach, how should we make room? Are dedicated coaches for ILB vs OLB necessary? How about OL, TE, WR, and QB? Can our DC take over either ILB/OLB or have ILB/OLB be coached by one person. Can our HC also coach QBs? Do we need a dedicated TE coach or can they be co-coached by OL and WR coaches?

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT