ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Rhule coaching

NikkiSixx

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 14, 2013
I've noticed Matt coaching his ass off the last two games.

I think we have more than a couple bad position coaches.. one of those being the RB's coach.

When a young player doesn't even know which side of the formation the run is going and can't get his handoff receiving correct, it tells me that coach isn't doing his job. Every time I see that punk coach on the sideline, it's like he's standing there with his fascinating beard, doing NOTHING. Not coaching up his players, and maybe the camera is just catching things at the wrong time, but I think our RB coach sucks.

Our OC's playing calling has been maddening. You can see Matt Rhule interjecting and getting involved thankfully in an attempt to stop that dumb dumb from doing something even more stupid. I can not get behind this backwards idiot OC.

Our OL coach, has always been suspect, but it seems Illinois was doing something to draw the OL offsides, and they were able to get away with it, but Rhule is certainly on top of it. Whatever that thing is, why isn't the OL coach teaching this stuff in his drills?

I've just noticed Matt being involved a lot more in things, like he's trying to take over for some of these coaches that aren't doing their jobs in game.

I'm glad he's doing that, but would like to see him take the next step and get some better coaches in here when he can.

Rant over.. glad we won.

I think we have more than a couple bad position coaches.. one of those being the RB's coach.

When a young player doesn't even know which side of the formation the run is going and can't get his handoff receiving correct, it tells me that coach isn't doing his job. Every time I see that punk coach on the sideline, it's like he's standing there with his fascinating beard, doing NOTHING. Not coaching up his players, and maybe the camera is just catching things at the wrong time, but I think our RB coach sucks.

Our OC's playing calling has been maddening. You can see Matt Rhule interjecting and getting involved thankfully in an attempt to stop that dumb dumb from doing something even more stupid. I can not get behind this backwards idiot OC.

Our OL coach, has always been suspect, but it seems Illinois was doing something to draw the OL offsides, and they were able to get away with it, but Rhule is certainly on top of it. Whatever that thing is, why isn't the OL coach teaching this stuff in his drills?

I've just noticed Matt being involved a lot more in things, like he's trying to take over for some of these coaches that aren't doing their jobs in game.

I'm glad he's doing that, but would like to see him take the next step and get some better coaches in here when he can.

Rant over.. glad we won.
The lack of discipline with stupid, untimely penalties and poor use of our timeouts is bothersome. Partly Rhule’s fault. He’s head man.

The lack of discipline with stupid, untimely penalties and poor use of our timeouts is bothersome. Partly Rhule’s fault. He’s head man.
I thought at times, he was using those to try to make sure we got points on some of those drives early.. later I agree some of them were necessary because nobody was on the same page.. I sort of blame the OC for that. I'm glad Rhule was taking charge of things and over ruling whatever was going on. He is indeed the head guy, but I get the feeling he's more invested somehow.. seeing him in there making changes has me feeling a lot better than if he was just standing there watching everything unravel.

Rant over.. glad we won.

I can’t really disagree with most of this. I will say, as a courtesy to the coaching profession, and out of respect for your fellow professionals… you should really give any coach who doesn’t violate any rules of termination two years. One to show your strengths and weaknesses and to make your mistakes, and another year to show you can fix those mistakes. Top professionals don’t want to work for someone who’ll only give you one year to show your worth.

Agree, @NikkiSixx

Well said.

This group has an edge to them.

Also can’t help but notice Sims looking right at home on the bench - lots of smiles, front and center.

Rhule coaches the sh*t out of HH. He’s yelling at him after nearly every play.

I completely missed that, maybe getting another beer. What was that all about?
I don’t know what the issue was but after a timeout they closed into the players and Rhule specifically going into the break and you can see him saying “no” multiple times. It wasn’t like a harsh yelling but he was adamant that whatever was about to happen was not the thing that should happen 😂

Can’t say much about Matt except that I think he works his tail off. In terms of Tony White, I can’t understand why we didn’t rush like 5 guys every play. Their QB panics and makes mistakes under a little pressure and what do we do? Rush 3 and maybe 4 on 3rd and longs and give the kid time to find an open receiver. Other than that our D is really solid and well coached.

I think he did a fantastic job coaching this week.

In years past, this would have been another game we gave away, but instead, the O did just enough and the D stepped up in a big way.

A win like this isn't pretty, but its something to build on, and gives the team and fan base hope to still make a bowl game this year.

So,interesting question. Was HCMR calling plays last night? I noticed him walking around with a play sheet in the first half.

I don't think he was calling plays, but I definitely noticed him seeming very hands on with the offense and very hands off with the defense. Maybe he's always been that way and I just haven't noticed, but it stuck out to me last night.

The only poor use of timeouts are the ones not taken. What’s wrong with stopping play to be discuss a critical play even if early in a half? If you blow it and fall behind I suppose you have that timeout to use to stop the clock when the other team is up late in the game. Or use it early and get ahead and be the team running the clock out in the end.

The only poor use of timeouts are the ones not taken. What’s wrong with stopping play to be discuss a critical play even if early in a half? If you blow it and fall behind I suppose you have that timeout to use to stop the clock when the other team is up late in the game. Or use it early and get ahead and be the team running the clock out in the end.
Good call. Potential lesson learned from MN game.

Reactions: kevingne
I agree. It's his first year and molding the team. Calling timeouts is good because he's using them to coach and correct for future success. I would expect more unexpected timeout calls everytime Rhule has a younger team on the field in the future and less when the squads are mostly upperclassmen.

I thought at times, he was using those to try to make sure we got points on some of those drives early.. later I agree some of them were necessary because nobody was on the same page.. I sort of blame the OC for that. I'm glad Rhule was taking charge of things and over ruling whatever was going on. He is indeed the head guy, but I get the feeling he's more invested somehow.. seeing him in there making changes has me feeling a lot better than if he was just standing there watching everything unravel.
Which of the timeouts was stupid?
Having no timeouts with 10 minutes left in the game isn’t normal or ideal. I understand the last timeout - but you only get 3 a half.

At times we had what should have been our 4th and 5th team RBs OR what should have been 3rd team wide WRs on the field due to injuries and a quitter. We should EXPECT our offensive coaches having to call timeouts to get everybody on the same page. It’s kind of amazing we’re able to move the ball at all.

Can’t say much about Matt except that I think he works his tail off. In terms of Tony White, I can’t understand why we didn’t rush like 5 guys every play. Their QB panics and makes mistakes under a little pressure and what do we do? Rush 3 and maybe 4 on 3rd and longs and give the kid time to find an open receiver. Other than that our D is really solid and well coached.
We have 100 bigger problems than Tony White

I think he did a fantastic job coaching this week.

In years past, this would have been another game we gave away, but instead, the O did just enough and the D stepped up in a big way.

A win like this isn't pretty, but its something to build on, and gives the team and fan base hope to still make a bowl game this year.

My thoughts exactly. Looked a lot like the type of game we would’ve pissed away in years past. Doesn’t mean they’ve arrived by any stretch, we’re not saying that, just a positive step forward to see us win a game when we didn’t play well.

We have 100 bigger problems than Tony White
Did you read my post? I said or D is solid and WELL COACHED. I just didn’t understand the few pass rushers at times….funny, I just listened to Adam Carriker’s reaction of the game and he said the exact same thing I said. Our D is what is carrying this team.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
Did you read my post? I said or D is solid and WELL COACHED. I just didn’t understand the few pass rushers at times….funny, I just listened to Adam Carriker’s reaction of the game and he said the exact same thing I said. Our D is what is carrying this team.
Yes, to point out something the defense could have done better isn’t saying they’re not great or that they’re not carrying the team. The way people jump to extremes in response to comments on here can be rediculous

I think part of that was explained by Jeremiah Sirles in the radio broadcast, that Illinois was running quicker than normal so Nebraska couldn't sub as freely as previous games. So perhaps NU was caught with a weaker pass-rush package at times and couldn't do much about it. There's also injuries to consider, etc. etc.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
I don’t know what the issue was but after a timeout they closed into the players and Rhule specifically going into the break and you can see him saying “no” multiple times. It wasn’t like a harsh yelling but he was adamant that whatever was about to happen was not the thing that should happen 😂

My guess was that Satt wanted to get on somebody for not being ready quickly enough and having to call timeout and Rhule was like nah, that's your fault, not theirs.

The closeup of him telling Satt, “no, no, no, no” was awesome.

Liked the announcers comment that you could hear all the way from Lincoln a collective “run the ball” when it was getting toward the end of the game and we throw 3 straight incompletions to save clock for Illinois.

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
Are YOU Adam Carriker????

Voting Scooby Doo GIF by #GoVote

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
I think part of that was explained by Jeremiah Sirles in the radio broadcast, that Illinois was running quicker than normal so Nebraska couldn't sub as freely as previous games. So perhaps NU was caught with a weaker pass-rush package at times and couldn't do much about it. There's also injuries to consider, etc. etc.
Holding. Lots of holding in front of sitting blind refs

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT