ADVERTISEMENT

Going forwad, my biggest conern

Thortulz

Walk On
Jan 6, 2008
Is Rhule keeping Simms as the starting QB if he keeps being a one dimensional turnover machine. Rhule, like every other head coach will likely be to stubborn to bench Simms until at least several possible losses and maybe not even then.

Other posters have talked about the lack of support Simms is getting from the OL, RB, TE & WR positions but to be honest Simms style of play doesn't generate much motivation to excell at those positions when after each play is started the QB is going to NOT handing off or passing to those other positions.

Who comes or wants to play with an improvising ball hog vs being able to shine while being given the opportunity to make plays themselves.

After this amount of time playing Simms is what he is and I think his teammates see it even if the coaching staff doesn't, or if Rhule's other coaches are afraid to approach him about making a change so early into the season.

If Simms doesn't at least attempt or fails to get the other skill positions the ball then a change should be made and put either Purdy or Haarberg in to guage if it gets the team moving in a positive direction.

My personal choice would be Haarberg as the first replacement to give a try but I'm open to anyone that will get out on the field and play the QB position not sandlot football.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Did you watch the games last year? Did you watch the spring game? Sims is the best we have by a mile and we better hope he stays healthy all year. The OC needs to drastically trim up the passing playbook in the next couple weeks.

I’m going to give Sims 4 games to see if he can improve. I’m more disappointed with the OC. Get in the box and watch your QB stare down receivers and predetermine his throws before the snap. Design some plays to get TEs involved making 6-10 yard catches to move the chains.

Sims can improve. We lost in dramatic fashion to a one in a million throw and catch on 4th down. We were underdogs on the road in a hostile environment to start the year with a new coach, system and QB.

I was pissed we lost

It was game one and a great learning lesson for all involved.

Clean up the decision making and play calling and beat some ass till Michigan comes to town

Sims should get until the next BIG opponent. He's a turnover machine and eventually he will lose the team.

• Haha
Reactions: wkato
I’m going to give Sims 4 games to see if he can improve. I’m more disappointed with the OC. Get in the box and watch your QB stare down receivers and predetermine his throws before the snap. Design some plays to get TEs involved making 6-10 yard catches to move the chains.

It's funny...I commented Sims reminds me of Vince Young with how huge he looks compared to other players and the way he just gets yards on the ground. I seem to remember Mack Brown simplified Texas's offense where it was a one read and go thing for VY. That seemed to work out for them quite well...

Would like to see them scrap all the multi-read stuff and just look for Kemp in the short yardage or a TE. If he's going to focus in on one guy at least let it be the quickest guy in short space. Kemp was open quite a few times Saturday.

Every now and then you can go for a deep route like the one Hill ran. Or get some TE action reminiscent of Jammal Lord and Matt Herian going.

Sims can improve. We lost in dramatic fashion to a one in a million throw and catch on 4th down. We were underdogs on the road in a hostile environment to start the year with a new coach, system and QB.

I was pissed we lost

It was game one and a great learning lesson for all involved.

Clean up the decision making and play calling and beat some ass till Michigan comes to town
I hope he does improve but he isn't a freshmen. I'm not sure how much a guy improves after starting at least 7 games for 3 straight years. Think about that. That was his 24th collegiate start. And he's staring down receivers and getting baited into picks. Adrian was a turnover machine because he was sloppy and a poor decision maker. I'm not sure Sims has the ability to not be a turnover based on what I saw.

I'm now seriously questioning if Rhule is full of shit. He talks about how important not turning the ball over is but brings in the guy who led the country in turnovers. And then says he's a changed player when he isn't. Same for Grant.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
I hope he does improve but he isn't a freshmen. I'm not sure how much a guy improves after starting at least 7 games for 3 straight years. Think about that. That was his 24th collegiate start. And he's staring down receivers and getting baited into picks. Adrian was a turnover machine because he was sloppy and a poor decision maker. I'm not sure Sims has the ability to not be a turnover based on what I saw.

I'm now seriously questioning if Rhule is full of shit. He talks about how important not turning the ball over is but brings in the guy who led the country in turnovers. And then says he's a changed player when he isn't. Same for Grant.
Not enough of a sample size to make that determination although you could be completely correct.

Yes, sims looked weak in the pocket. But maybe they adjust and he sees the field better. Tough game on the road and I don’t think he saw too many crowds like that in the ACC.

Enough excuses though, he could very well be everything you said

Reactions: wkato
Sims should get until the next BIG opponent. He's a turnover machine and eventually he will lose the team.
No way. We need a bowl game. This is his 4th year starting. Think about that. 4 fall camps. 3 seasons of practice, game prep, games. He either has it or he doesn't. Short leash against CU.

Reactions: Dylman

Exactly, a QB that has as much experience as Sims is not all of a sudden going to learn how to scan the field and not lock in on one receiver.

The best we can hope for is that Rhule and Sat adjust the offense to fit Sim’s skill set.

I hate to break it to those of you just hoping the interceptions stop, but listen to this.
Taylor and Adrian Martinez both threw about 30 interceptions in their career. They threw approximately 1,000 passes.
Sims hasn't reached 700 passes
(652) yet but had still thrown 25 interceptions.
His interception ratio is notably higher than NU's historically bad turnover kings.

It's not just gonna stop out of thin air.

I like the Vince Young plan or even what Kst did with Adrian.
Yes you have to pare down your offense and struggle with close scores but otherwise we will lose a lot of games.

Last edited:
Sims throws into triple coverage. The RB struggle to gain yards in traffic. Would it kill somebody to try ONE option play? It keeps the QB run but also gives you to potential of having a running back out in the open field.

Also, I thought we were bringing the fullback back? Anybody see a fullback on the field anywhere Thursday?

Reactions: SickOfPractice
Sims throws into triple coverage. The RB struggle to gain yards in traffic. Would it kill somebody to try ONE option play? It keeps the QB run but also gives you to potential of having a running back out in the open field.

Also, I thought we were bringing the fullback back? Anybody see a fullback on the field anywhere Thursday?
Several times but mostly one back set

Reactions: timnsun
I'm still nauseous from Thursday but I just don't believe that Rhule is going continue to let Sims and Grant turn the ball over with no consequences. Something will change. Unlike Frost who looked like a deer in the headlights when things went sideways (aka every game) Rhule looked totally engaged and wanting to win badly. He'll do something.

Right now I'm mainly just worried about how everyone seems to be chalking CU up as a W and I think they have the offensive talent to give us another embarrassing loss.

Did you watch the games last year? Did you watch the spring game? Sims is the best we have by a mile and we better hope he stays healthy all year. The OC needs to drastically trim up the passing playbook in the next couple weeks.

Both Purdey and Haarberg can run and I like Purdey running more than Sims. However, none of them can pass and therein lies our problem. Opponents will load the box to stop the QB runs and we are stuck. Plus running your QB all the time in the B10 is a recipe to get them hurt.

Is Rhule keeping Simms as the starting QB if he keeps being a one dimensional turnover machine. Rhule, like every other head coach will likely be to stubborn to bench Simms until at least several possible losses and maybe not even then.

Other posters have talked about the lack of support Simms is getting from the OL, RB, TE & WR positions but to be honest Simms style of play doesn't generate much motivation to excell at those positions when after each play is started the QB is going to NOT handing off or passing to those other positions.

Who comes or wants to play with an improvising ball hog vs being able to shine while being given the opportunity to make plays themselves.

After this amount of time playing Simms is what he is and I think his teammates see it even if the coaching staff doesn't, or if Rhule's other coaches are afraid to approach him about making a change so early into the season.

If Simms doesn't at least attempt or fails to get the other skill positions the ball then a change should be made and put either Purdy or Haarberg in to guage if it gets the team moving in a positive direction.

My personal choice would be Haarberg as the first replacement to give a try but I'm open to anyone that will get out on the field and play the QB position not sandlot football.
Sims.

Regarding Sims, my bet is that he is who he is. We have been warned by GT fans.

Sims is 8-16 as a starter.

31-26 TDs to INTs

57.5% completion rate.

He should be running the ball or handing it off as much as possible. I wouldn't have him pass the ball unless it's a 2-minute drill or end of the game and need to in order to win. Play action passes if you want to get spicey and keep the straight up passing plays in your pocket for a bowl game of no consequence if we are fortunate enough to see one.

Both Purdey and Haarberg can run and I like Purdey running more than Sims. However, none of them can pass and therein lies our problem. Opponents will load the box to stop the QB runs and we are stuck. Plus running your QB all the time in the B10 is a recipe to get them hurt.

You like Purdy running more than Sims? I would love to hear your breakdown on this.

Reactions: king_kong_
Regarding Sims, my bet is that he is who he is. We have been warned by GT fans.

Sims is 8-16 as a starter.

31-26 TDs to INTs

57.5% completion rate.

He should be running the ball or handing it off as much as possible. I wouldn't have him pass the ball unless it's a 2-minute drill or end of the game and need to in order to win. Play action passes if you want to get spicey and keep the straight up passing plays in your pocket for a bowl game of no consequence if we are fortunate enough to see one.

I knew his statistical history was not good but didn't realize 8-16 for a record. Not a good thing, losing 2 out of 3.

My god did you not watch the train wreck of QB backups last year?

It's funny...I commented Sims reminds me of Vince Young with how huge he looks compared to other players and the way he just gets yards on the ground. I seem to remember Mack Brown simplified Texas's offense where it was a one read and go thing for VY. That seemed to work out for them quite well...

Would like to see them scrap all the multi-read stuff and just look for Kemp in the short yardage or a TE. If he's going to focus in on one guy at least let it be the quickest guy in short space. Kemp was open quite a few times Saturday.

Every now and then you can go for a deep route like the one Hill ran. Or get some TE action reminiscent of Jammal Lord and Matt Herian going.
And Vince Young scored a 6 (out of 10) on the Wonderlic test. I have to believe Sims isn't that stupid. Week old bread isn't that stupid.

Hopefully Sims turns it around. If he doesn't, then yes I want to see the backups. I want to see with my own eyes, in a real game, what they can do.
you've already seen that with one of them

it did not go well

Simms can work. He's a great runner and athlete. He can throw the ball but it has to be the right setting and fit for his ability. It's a coaches job to put him in the best possible position to be successful. We have not done a very good job of that over the years.

Your concern is valid, but I don't think Haarberg is a viable B10 QB.

Simms can work. He's a great runner and athlete. He can throw the ball but it has to be the right setting and fit for his ability. It's a coaches job to put him in the best possible position to be successful. We have not done a very good job of that over the years.
Serious question, how difficult is it for a defense to take that away?

Looks to me like it's going to be pretty easy to stack the box, provide pressure and end up with Sims throwing an INT.

Reactions: HominidHusker

Looks to me like it's going to be pretty easy to stack the box, provide pressure and end up with Sims throwing an INT.
Well they can, but play action pass, and a mobile qb can make it tough to defend.

Question. Do you think Tommy Frazier could really read defenses and sit in the pocket and throw the rock with precision. We played loaded boxes all of the time. TO put his qb's in position to make plays that they were capable of making. Rhule can do the same. Simms is not going to sit in the pocket and pick apart a defense with his ability and a smattering of average receivers.

We have some playmakers sitting on the bench or not being utilized on the field. It is a coaches job to figure out how to get them the ball. This isn't all on Simms.

Now with that said. That pick in the endzone was 100% unacceptable with a TE standing wide open in his face. We are going to have to take the good with the bad, but their can be a lot more good if we play to his strengths vs challenging his weaknesses.

The offense has to be adjusted to put him in a position to accent his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. That's basic coaching.

On a completely unrelated note, don't we have a highly regarded, fairly large, pass catching TE on the roster that could be targeted about 10x a game?

Without a dominant OL, that style of game won’t get us a ton of wins.

I knew his statistical history was not good but didn't realize 8-16 for a record. Not a good thing, losing 2 out of 3.
And there are some voices here that say he is our best player on offense.

And you know that first year dip from the previous year that Rhule has when taking over according to his record?

Actually Vince Young scored a 6 out of 50.
There are some great VY stories there. Once rented a plane for himself to travel in.
Not a little prop job, an entire airliner.

Lost a lot of his money on stupid.
There is also one about renting the Cheesecake Factory to have a food fight with his friends. The cost, of course, was outrageous.

This was the old playbook, which resulted in success.. our bread and butter. Run them until they get hurt, then put the next guy in. You got 3 to get through the season. Giddy up.

Reactions: leodisflowers
my biggest concern going forward is rhule is football hoiberg

saturday will go a long way in quelling or stoking this fear

Reactions: pascal
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT