ADVERTISEMENT

When you hate a team

To try and bring this thread more or less back on track, I don't hate teams but I can despise fan bases. Colorado is the only one I feel that way about currently. When your mother, who used to look forward to going to Boulder every other year, decides that she is too afraid to return after her 60+ year old friends were roughed up by student-age CU fans after the game in 1986, that is a reason to despise a fan base. When you have to jump into a fight at the CU stadium after 5 CU fans jump a single NU fan who asks for his stolen hat back, only to have piss thrown on you, that is a reason to despise a fan base. When the following year you watch a pair of female CU fans push down a 40ish year old NU fan and try to kick her, that's reason to despise a fan base. I could go on about experiences with CU fans, as I lived in Colorado during the bat-shit crazy McCartney years, but I think you get the gist of my feelings (yeah, tell us how you REALLY feel! Lol).

To try and bring this thread more or less back on track, I don't hate teams but I can despise fan bases. Colorado is the only one I feel that way about currently. When your mother, who used to look forward to going to Boulder every other year, decides that she is too afraid to return after her 60+ year old friends were roughed up by student-age CU fans after the game in 1986, that is a reason to despise a fan base. When you have to jump into a fight at the CU stadium after 5 CU fans jump a single NU fan who asks for his stolen hat back, only to have piss thrown on you, that is a reason to despise a fan base. When the following year you watch a pair of female CU fans push down a 40ish year old NU fan and try to kick her, that's reason to despise a fan base. I could go on about experiences with CU fans, as I lived in Colorado during the bat-shit crazy McCartney years, but I think you get the gist of my feelings (yeah, tell us how you REALLY feel! Lol).

I was there in 1986 and at the time it was my second time witnessing the opposing teams fans tearing down the goalposts and it was truly intimidating that day walking back to our bus,but you have to remember that was the first time Colorado beat Nebraska in 19 years,so they had buildt up so much animosity toward Nebraska and it’s fans.

I had a much better experience in 1995 when we beat them and went to #1 after the game...

There students were the worse to deal with and they were on par with the Wisconsin students..

Last edited:
I was there in 1986 and at the time it was my second time witnessing the opposing teams fans tearing down the goalposts and it was truly intimidating that day walking back to our bus,but you have to remember that was the first time Colorado beat Nebraska in 19 years,so they had buildt up so much animosity toward Nebraska and it’s fans.

I had a much better experience in 1995 when we beat them and went to #1 after the game...

There students were the worse to deal with and they were on par with the Wisconsin students..

After the 1987 experience I decided I would never go back to Folsom Field and I stuck with that, even turning down chances to sit in their "skyboxes" for the 1991 and 1993 games. But I have been told by people who went to later games that things improved significantly after alcohol was banned. Your experience in 1995 coincides with what I heard from people who had been going to the games since the late 70's; 1995 was the best experience they'd had. They even had a number of CU fans come up to them after the game and congratulate them and wish them luck in the bowl game, which had never happened before.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
After the 1987 experience I decided I would never go back to Folsom Field and I stuck with that, even turning down chances to sit in their "skyboxes" for the 1991 and 1993 games. But I have been told by people who went to later games that things improved significantly after alcohol was banned. Your experience in 1995 coincides with what I heard from people who had been going to the games since the late 70's; 1995 was the best experience they'd had. They even had a number of CU fans come up to them after the game and congratulate them and wish them luck in the bowl game, which had never happened before.

I’m planning on going for the Colorado game next year, so we’ll see how things turn out...

Boulder is one of the best environments for a College football game that I have been to besides Husky stadium in Seattle and the Rose Bowl because of the flatiron mountain in the back round. Really looking forward to going and kicking some buffalo butts..

PS not the fans just our team whipping theirs..

Last edited:
Is it because of the fanbase, coach or dirty play by its players or because they dominate the Huskers ?

The internet has made it possible to assess opposing fans in a general way.

I don't really hate any teams. I hate their fans.

I-wa sux.
I’ve hated teams for all the reasons mentioned above.

In the 80’s it was Oklahoma (Big 8)
In the 90’s it was Miami and Florida St (Bowl opponents)

Late 90’s and 2000’s (Big 12): Hated Texas (never could beat them even when we had the better teams); Hated Missouri (horrible, toothless, trashy fan base, dirty players); Hated Colorado (stupid, drunken, nasty fan base, Gary Barnett is a douchebag)

Current (B1G): Hate Wisconsin (nasty, drunken, arrogant fan base, douchebag coaches, media always gushes over then, and we never beat these guys)

Nothing like good old hate in football!

Moved back to Lincoln a month ago and am planning to break my vow by going to the game in Boulder next fall as well. Be a chance to visit friends before the game.

Why? I remember OU games at Memorial.

OU fans and team acted like a bunch of *(*((

What the hell are you talking about? You mean those nostalgic games of the 60s and 70s were full of unicorns and rainbows?

GTFO
I have to agree. While I do believe it was a great rivalry in the Big-8 they got the better of us in the 70’s and 80’s. I hated OU then and their fans were/are arrogant. F Sooner Magic!

You never saw them live steal your heart while Barry Mof**ing Switzer laughed his ass off Memorial Stadium sidelines.

Your respect has no basis.
You ever hear the story why OU got there asses kick in the orange bowl by Arkansas? According to friends I know in Oklahoma, Barry was banging one of his assistant coaches wives, well the guy found out about it just before the bowl game so he gave the offensive and defensive plays to Arkansas. Those people swear by it!!

Reactions: SoFL Husker
You ever hear the story why OU got there asses kick in the orange bowl by Arkansas? According to friends I know in Oklahoma, Barry was banging one of his assistant coaches wives, well the guy found out about it just before the bowl game so he gave the offensive and defensive plays to Arkansas. Those people swear by it!!

Never heard that one, but I believe it.

I’ve hated teams for all the reasons mentioned above.

In the 80’s it was Oklahoma (Big 8)
In the 90’s it was Miami and Florida St (Bowl opponents)

Late 90’s and 2000’s (Big 12): Hated Texas (never could beat them even when we had the better teams); Hated Missouri (horrible, toothless, trashy fan base, dirty players); Hated Colorado (stupid, drunken, nasty fan base, Gary Barnett is a douchebag)

Current (B1G): Hate Wisconsin (nasty, drunken, arrogant fan base, douchebag coaches, media always gushes over then, and we never beat these guys)

Nothing like good old hate in football!

Great list, best yet.

Hatred for a fanbase or team is waste of energy. It accomplishes nothing and allows them to be in control of you. I refuse to live in hatred, life is too short. As it relates to football, if another team is better, compliment them. It shows character and good sportsmanship, which we used to be well-known for. We fans don't play the game anyway, we just watch and brag when we're good. JMO
Hatred is not a controllable issue...it is visceral but taught. I remember respecting the rise of Iowa State in the 2000s, that was until I started going to home games against Iowa state. Their fan base was so obnoxious that it made me forever hate Iowa State. I hate everything about them because every experience with their fans is annoying. Maybe it would be the same way with NU, but I see a lot of good NU fans so it balances out the bad. I only see bad KSU and Iowa State fans...

Is it because of the fanbase, coach or dirty play by its players or because they dominate the Huskers ?

I-wa sux.
there are fans in this fandom, and were pretty undesirable players on this year's team...so I'm not sure what to do with your assessment.

I hate Texas. Arrogant and they don't really have any reason to be. #HornsDown4Life
They feel entitled---they have their OWN network. It would never do to have to share. I have lived in TX 17 years and I feel lucky we have as many teams as we do---no limitations and no UT exclusive.

Reactions: SC_'sker

I-wa sux.

Personal Experiences make the decision for you... there is no logic to it, just emotion. Nothing wrong with a little sports fan hate.

Hate:
Miami (attended '83 Orange bowl and fair weather fans)
Mizzou (gross fans in multiple ways and I attended many games there)
Texas (Program Arrogance and the ruination of OK vs. NU)

Severe dislike:
CU (horrible, fake fans)
Ohio State (only because of Urban's dominance)
Penn State (out of bounds catch)
Clemson (the year they took away a NC from NU)
Notre Dame (Not joining a conference)

Building up towards a severe dislike or hate:
Wisconsin (Student fans are jackasses in person and they have been beating us by being like Nebraska used to be)
Iowa (only because they have beaten us lately and they live among us in Omaha, they will shortly be removed from this list)

Reactions: red scowl
I intensely dislike Wisconsin. Their fans are obnoxious and they think they are one of the great historical teams for some odd reason.

An exaggerated opinion of themselves is why is dislike a team typically. If they are who they think they are I’m ok with it. But Wisconsin isn’t even close.

I intensely dislike Wisconsin. Their fans are obnoxious and they think they are one of the great historical teams for some odd reason.

An exaggerated opinion of themselves is why is dislike a team typically. If they are who they think they are I’m ok with it. But Wisconsin isn’t even close.

Yeah, the 'Sconsin fans can be annoying. They'll fade into oblivion once HCSF gets things rolling, though.

What you said in your first post:
"The internet has made it possible to assess opposing fans in a general way.

I don't really hate any teams. I hate their fans."

You're a bit of a contradiction. ;)

How many trolls from Iowa post here? I posted a thread on how I was going to make an account on a Hawkeye board without the the intention of ever doing so. Because this board is/was infested with trolls.

I imagine the eggs will hatch in the spring. Anything else?:rolleyes:

An idiot who has basically no understanding of Husker football...

Didn't you say that Scott Frost ran over Iowa's linebackers just a couple weeks ago? (hint - that was Eric Crouch in 1999 against a cornerback) Now you're the world's foremost authority on Husker football!

The bullys of the downtrodden. Nebraska doesn't play physical. Frost is a finesse coach.

Frost ran over your linebackers.

This is why I don't respect your fanbase. The B1G is physical you say. Nebraska played in the big 12 north... blah, blah.

Mike Riley is not here. Run and hide, instead of shooting your mouth off about a 7-5 team. Reality is coming.

Didn't you say that Scott Frost ran over Iowa's linebackers just a couple weeks ago? (hint - that was Eric Crouch in 1999 against a cornerback) Now you're the world's foremost authority on Husker football!

My bad Iowa fan. Frost would have impregnated, while putting him on his back.

Looks like your offense is leaving and our Freshman quarterback dissected your defense except for the interception.

That's why you won. Let's play, Iowa middle manager person.

I am not a patient man. I breathlessly await your next startling revelation. Do I need to provide you fodder?

Wisky sucks. Iowa sucks.

But those are obvious. The new age hatred...

download.jpg

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT