ADVERTISEMENT

What's your take on the two failed 4th down plays?

F5Tornado

Senior
Jul 19, 2018
Did Nebraska telegraph to cu what they were going to do?

Line up in a more power formation? Actually pass on one of those situations?

QB run up the middle?

Your take.

It is easy to what-if and over-analyze every failed played. I think SF said it right at the press conference. Paraphrasing, but basically, average teams find ways to lose and good teams find ways to win. Players have to make the plays. This team needs to learn how to win.

What makes you think the play call was wrong? Did the players execute the call correctly?

It is easy to what-if and over-analyze every failed played. I think SF said it right at the press conference. Paraphrasing, but basically, average teams find ways to lose and good teams find ways to win. Players have to make the plays. This team needs to learn how to win.

The play at the 7 minute mark was as much play call as execution. CU had 9 in the box, someone was going to be left unaccounted for. Too many 1 on 1 blocks,

The play at the 7 minute mark was as much play call as execution. CU had 9 in the box, someone was going to be left unaccounted for. Too many 1 on 1 blocks,
We had been doing a pretty darned good job of moving people the whole game and no doubt Frost and Walter have heard Run The Ball guy's comments. One missed blocking assignment blew up the one play. Not sure if AM had an audible option on those plays or not.

The way NU was moving the ball, I thought both decisions to go for it were correct. Did CU blow up any other plays in the backfield the entire game other than the two 4th downs?

Play selection is a fair question, though.

The way NU was moving the ball, I thought both decisions to go for it were correct. Did CU blow up any other plays in the backfield the entire game other than the two 4th downs?

Play selection is a fair question, though.

Well considering they had 9 TFL and 2 sacks, I would say yes.

I don't have a problem going for it on 4th down in the 1st half. But the way the defense played for most of the game, I would have punted with 7 minutes to go and made them go 60 yards instead of 30, plus it would have killed more clock. Granted, they didn't score on that ensuing drive, and we got the ball back after stopping them on 4th down, but up 1, I punt, up 4 I may go.

Reactions: scarletred
There are a lot of emotions going on in that game and that particular place and time. CU had put up some points and were moving the ball. Missed FGs and all. Maybe he thought that was his best bet?

I just think SF was going for the jugular. He wanted to win, he was going to win, he wasn't going to play it safe. He wanted to put it away.

I am not going to fault him for it. Maybe there were better play calls, maybe a different decision, but honest to god I want the killer instinct back in this team and if we have to pay for it with some losses like this one, I am personally OK with it. I know not everyone else will be.

Reactions: HuskerLegion
There are a lot of emotions going on in that game and that particular place and time. CU had put up some points and were moving the ball. Missed FGs and all. Maybe he thought that was his best bet?

I just think SF was going for the jugular. He wanted to win, he was going to win, he wasn't going to play it safe. He wanted to put it away.

I am not going to fault him for it. Maybe there were better play calls, maybe a different decision, but honest to god I want the killer instinct back in this team and if we have to pay for it with some losses like this one, I am personally OK with it. I know not everyone else will be.

Maybe. I just think it was an offensive coach having more confidence in himself than he did the defense. If this was a defensive coach, the play would have been to punt. JMHO

I want to say Colorado made a great play. But the play was too predictable for them to not have improved odds of being successful.

What makes you think the play call was wrong? Did the players execute the call correctly?
When you have 9 "heavy" defenders in the box and are trying to block it with 6, you can block it "correctly" and still get stuffed, just as we did on the last 4th-1 play.

Should have changed the play or called TO. That play was dead to rites before the snap.

Maybe. I just think it was an offensive coach having more confidence in himself than he did the defense. If this was a defensive coach, the play would have been to punt. JMHO
When I rewatched it, I muttered this exact phrase, "it looks like neither coach trusts their defense to get a stop," when we traded 4th and 1 turnovers with CU.

This, I think. Let AMart make a play.
If we ran PAP on the last 4th and 1, AM likely gets hit in the backfield before he can make the pull. They brought 9, and both edges were coming. Every lineman/TE had a hat on a defender, but we couldn't block them all.

Scott Frost is known to gamble on 4th and 1 plays. We better get used to it. He’s showing his lack of experience and patience as a coach. It’s a bit reckless if you ask me. This can change if it costs us more games

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormthecourt?
We would have made both had we had a walk-on fullback from a little town somewhere in Nebraska as a lead blocker.

We also would have scored on at least one long run with a well timed fullback trap.

Reactions: mmunso7
Yep, 3 years of hip hip hooray, and ice cream with sprinkles. It is going to take a bit.

Scott Frost is known to gamble on 4th and 1 plays. We better get used to it. He’s showing his lack of experience and patience as a coach. It’s a bit reckless if you ask me. This can change if it costs us more games
I have no problem with him going for it on 4th. That seems to be trending now days with many coaches. We just need to make sure we have a play that gets close to getting it.

QB run up the middle?

Your take.
My take is that this was the 1st game. Scott is learning his players and the players are learning the scheme and what it takes to play at a championship level.

Therefore, I'm going to enjoy watching my team improve from week to week and "DAY BY DAY".

And that's all I've got to say bout that.

Reactions: F5Tornado
I get it the first time but the second time should have been a different call. Fake to the RB and a quick toss to the TE.

Reactions: mmunso7
Nine in the box and the Qb has to make a quick throw to the outside and first down is easy if pass and catch are made. My concern is was Martinez not allowed to audible or was he not able to see what many of us saw. Run blitz with 9 in the box on both plays?

QB run up the middle?

Your take.

Neither play was even close, and it looked like the colorado backers knew what was coming...they had to watch film of Frost at UCF and knew that was his "safe" play. They also had a jet sweep that was ignored. It looked like a vanilla play to get the ball out of their true freshmans hands...play action to a TE or a jet sweep or a qb keeper nets big yards. Frost just thought his line could dominate...

Nine in the box and the Qb has to make a quick throw to the outside and first down is easy if pass and catch are made. My concern is was Martinez not allowed to audible or was he not able to see what many of us saw. Run blitz with 9 in the box on both plays?

When they aren’t running high tempo they are at the line and look over to the staff for a potential play change - staff could have recognized and got them into something different. Even a QB run gives AM a few more options of where to hit the line of scrimmage - by the time you hand off the RB is very limited in where he can take it if the backfield is full of defenders

Can we not line up under center? Is that not in our playbook?

What does that solve? The running back starts further back in the I, you have the delay for the QB to make the handoff, out of shotgun the exchange to the RB can happen more quickly and the RB can get forward more quickly. Timing is completely different and blocking schemes are different between the two.

Here is one guy who analyzed NFL and found the short runs from shotgun are about 5% more effective.

https://predictivefootball.com/running-from-shotgun-formation-works-even-in-short-yardage/

I keep hearing from other Husker fans, (outside of here), how much they don't like this strategy or they say worse things; of which I won't get into.

My response is that this is who Scott is and always has been. If you've followed him or seen the systems he's been involved in, the attempts shouldn't be a surprise. I'm okay with going for it, because I trust Scott and I know that he knows what he is doing when he makes that choice.

Tuco is correct. We should have checked out. Too many bodies in the middle of the field.
One of the mistakes that is very common for young QBs that gets overlooked but often just as dire consequences as a turnover. However, I'm curious how much freedom he had/has to check out of plays.

I thought the play calling on 4th down was sub-par. Run/Pass option is the way to go in this offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT