ADVERTISEMENT

What does Tony White have to change to stop the quick passing game?

This seems to be his Achilles heel. Ideas? He will see it tomorrow. and later in the season.
Don't be overly predictable with the linebackers and safeties so they aren't always vacating spots underneath. Some of this is also a measure of athleticism at those positions. You need LBs that can cover receivers and tackle speed receivers 1-1 in open space. If your DL can handle the inside running game you can put fatser guys at these positions.

Reactions: Zeke2005
Just take the first read away...once you do that it is a disaster for the QB.

• Haha
Reactions: zrob
LOL. The RPO quick game is a nightmare to defend. That's why Saban hates it so much. It's even difficult at the HS level. Man and man under helps, but you better be able to stop the run game with 5-6 in the box. I think the 33 is a great defense for it, especially in terms of disguising looks but I do agree that sitting in quarters is not going to be very productive on a whole.

Bottom line is you have to have very good cover guys, very good run stopping LBs in the open field, and you need to bank on the offense f'n it up from time to time.

I will say that White's D is not doing itself any favors on the edge with the way the bs end closes down by turning shoulders and collapsing on down blocks. We have been gashed on the cutback because of it. And with the RPO game you lose outside run support on that kind of action. College game is a bitch to defend.

Only correct answer. Come up and jam or at least man up.

Film is out on our base looks and this type of passing will be ordered up until we show signs of stopping it
This is the answer. Get up on the line of scrimmage. Playing 10 yards deep on the receivers is a gift.

Reactions: c3o
Only correct answer. Come up and jam or at least man up.

Film is out on our base looks and this type of passing will be ordered up until we show signs of stopping it
And sprinkle in some LB, corner and safety blitzes! More often than not…as most college QBs do not perform well under pressure. 😉. And yes, JAM THOSE DAMN OUTSIDE WRs! 😁

Not much you can do other than make sure the back end tackles well and the front 4 can stop the running game. Pass rush is nullified.

Then you need the offense to control clock with their own passing game and run game.

So I think it is more of a game planning issue for both sides of the ball.
This is where having Javin Wright available again is nice for pass coverage.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Cover 0 with a spy

Rutgers doesn't run a hurry-up offense. Pre-snap disguise with Cover 2 and then set in on Cover 0. Hope like hell your safeties stay disciplined and wrap up.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Sometimes you give up what you are willing to give up.

There is no magic elixir as a DC. If you want to take something, you give something up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT