ADVERTISEMENT

We will crush the Puffs

CU is dangerous with their passing game. Travis Hunter is a terrific WR, and Horn Jr can also take it to the house. We will have to get pressure. I’m not optimistic if it turns into an offensive shootout.

There's also no reason we shouldn't have beaten the marginal-to-bad CU teams that we lost to in 2018/2019/2023 as well. The Buffs, despite all their warts, can score very quickly, and we're not going to be able to muddle around like we are playing Iowa or Minnesota, and keep things close. We need to start strong and put our foot on their throats - something we haven't seen a Husker team do very well in a long time.

Although I love, love, love this sentiment, I would hold off with such a prediction until we see how we play tomorrow.
Before I see the Huskers play tomorrow, I think the key to the game will be how much pressure the D puts on Sanders. Watching all last season and last night I don't think he handles pressure very well. If he has a clean pocket and having Hunter and Horn to throw to it will then be a much tougher game for the Huskers. I don't think the Buffs have much of a running game. Again, without seeing the Husker offense I would think they can score points against the Buff's D.

Last edited:
CU may be one of those teams that doesn’t blow you out or overpower you. They are just good enough to hang around and utilize their tremendous athletes in the end. If our game with them is close going into the 4th I will be concerned. They have big play ability.

There's also no reason we shouldn't have beaten the marginal-to-bad CU teams that we lost to in 2018/2019/2023 as well. The Buffs, despite all their warts, can score very quickly, and we're not going to be able to muddle around like we are playing Iowa or Minnesota, and keep things close. We need to start strong and put our foot on their throats - something we haven't seen a Husker team do very well in a long time.
You are so right. I do not want to see a game where the Huskers are ahead by 6 points or less with 2 minutes to go and they turn the ball over to young Sanders and his speedy receivers.

Until we prove it, they crushed us last year in the second half... There are a lot of "ifs" but the same conversations happened last year. Their D looked like swiss cheese and their OL sucks, but yet we only go put 14 on the scoreboard. I ****in loathe all CU fans, but still have to see NU show improvement.

You are so right. I do not want to see a game where the Huskers are ahead by 6 points or less with 2 minutes to go and they turn the ball over to young Sanders and his speedy receivers.
While I agree. finishing a close game and not finding a way to lose it is just what we need to exorcize these demons.

Reactions: Laner2
cu has two outstanding dudes in jimmy horn and travis hunter. hunter made a touchdown catch last night like i've not seen before at this level. horn is quick as a blink. but there are three phases to the game. cu has one that's stupid good. however, that too is limited to its passing game behind a leaky offensive line. i'll take N in lincoln by 10-14. rhule is a better coach than primetime and home field matters.

Before I see the Huskers play tomorrow, I think the key to the game will be how much pressure the D puts on Sanders. Watching all last season and last night I don't think he handles pressure very well. If he has a clean pocket and having Hunter and Horn to throw to it will then be a much tougher game for the Huskers. I don't think the Buffs have much of a running game. Again, without seeing the Husker offense I would think they can score points against the Buff's D.
HH will have a big role in that game. Power run game with even qb power will be hard for CU to deal with.
I have to see it to believe it too, but NU has better players at EVERY position than NDSU. They SHOULD dominate the LOS. They SHOULD Sack SS 5+ times killing drives. Will they ? I'm in the wait and see camp.

I agree with the sentiment that others posted—let’s see how we look tomorrow and go from there. My gut is telling me we will be the underdog against CU and they still have our number—it will be tough to contain all their talent. Same feeling as Texas a few years back in Lincoln. I’m hoping that plane ride back to Denver on Sunday doesn’t suck for me.

Girls, let your hair down, have some fun this season. Geez. Its fine to be cocky towards this clown show in Boulder. Hopefully after tomorrow, you all feel a lot better about talking some trash and stop being so rational. F#ck CU and coach Flanders and their douchbag superstars. Remember who we are supposed to be, stop being scared and if you are there at the game, let them sons of bitches have it. If we lose we lose, we are still a better team than last year, still need to make a bowl, and still need to improve each game. Better times are coming.

I agree with the sentiment that others posted—let’s see how we look tomorrow and go from there. My gut is telling me we will be the underdog against CU and they still have our number—it will be tough to contain all their talent. Same feeling as Texas a few years back in Lincoln. I’m hoping that plane ride back to Denver on Sunday doesn’t suck for me.
N is a 7 point favorite presently.

Much like most people in this thread, I think it is going to be a close game, 1 score to maybe 10-14 pts.
With that said, CU's defense looked tiny and quite frankly a little slow last night. NDSU had a nice game plan and found success with short passes, crossers, and was able to get to the edge of the defense. I did also like how NDSU went at Hunter a lot. Not really with deep ball, but with little hook routes and they ran at him too. The CU line backers are not good. If NU can find ways to get Rahim or our slots isoed on LB's they can have a field day.
The CU offense looked pretty vanilla, I would suspect they will throw a little more at NU next week. If their OL is improved I must have forgotten how bad they were last year. No push and really a no running game to worry about.
Hell I have just changed my own mind. Huskers by a million.

Much like most people in this thread, I think it is going to be a close game, 1 score to maybe 10-14 pts.
With that said, CU's defense looked tiny and quite frankly a little slow last night. NDSU had a nice game plan and found success with short passes, crossers, and was able to get to the edge of the defense. I did also like how NDSU went at Hunter a lot. Not really with deep ball, but with little hook routes and they ran at him too. The CU line backers are not good. If NU can find ways to get Rahim or our slots isoed on LB's they can have a field day.
The CU offense looked pretty vanilla, I would suspect they will throw a little more at NU next week. If their OL is improved I must have forgotten how bad they were last year. No push and really a no running game to worry about.
Hell I have just changed my own mind. Huskers by a million.
Your rundown was pretty spot on. Except the vanilla offense part. SS makes most of their calls. He looked at covered receivers a LOT, got pressure from 4 and extended to an open guy.
If pressure gets home 8x like it did last year, NU by 15 or more. If they sack him less than 4x CU may just win. I think we get pressure and maybe even enough to have him tap out. Their O line is bad. And they don't have a run game to slow a rush. They'll look for those swing passes but Dylan Edwards isn't there and the guys that are wouldn't be on our 4 deep at RB.

Your rundown was pretty spot on. Except the vanilla offense part. SS makes most of their calls. He looked at covered receivers a LOT, got pressure from 4 and extended to an open guy.
If pressure gets home 8x like it did last year, NU by 15 or more. If they sack him less than 4x CU may just win. I think we get pressure and maybe even enough to have him tap out. Their O line is bad. And they don't have a run game to slow a rush. They'll look for those swing passes but Dylan Edwards isn't there and the guys that are wouldn't be on our 4 deep at RB.
I hear ya. I really like how White shows three and brings a fourth from time to time. Plus our DL depth hopefully allows those dude to keep their piss hot for four quarters. I do think NU may have the ability to flush a qb out to what ever side of the field they want with Nash in the middle. I would try and flush him to his left and or the boundary side.

Right now this whole thread worries me. I hope the team isn’t looking ahead to next week and treating this week as a certain victory. We could damn well lose to UTEP. A few years ago we lost to Southern Georgia. Before that in Riley’s last year we lost to Northern Illinois. Every damn year some P4 program gets “shocked” by some lower level team beating them. If we don’t play well tomorrow we could lose. And how much “fun” will next week be then?
All I care about right now is playing really well against UTEP. Focus on being 1-0 and a good performance under our belt. Then worry about CU

Reactions: dinglefritz
Right now this whole thread worries me. I hope the team isn’t looking ahead to next week and treating this week as a certain victory. We could damn well lose to UTEP. A few years ago we lost to Southern Georgia. Before that in Riley’s last year we lost to Northern Illinois. Every damn year some P4 program gets “shocked” by some lower level team beating them. If we don’t play well tomorrow we could lose. And how much “fun” will next week be then?
All I care about right now is playing really well against UTEP. Focus on being 1-0 and a good performance under our belt. Then worry about CU
I don't think the team is. I think the fans and this board are, but I feel Rhule has a firm grip on the locker room and this team. Plus it sounds like UTEP is a really good fit for a first game and also the game before CU. Sounds like they want to run a lot of spread and tempo. UTEP's OC came from La Tech so there should be some familiarity from playing them last year.

The fact that Colorado only scored 31 is not a ringing endorsement for their offense that's supposed to be so elite.

Every football game is about matchups. You can see a guy look like a world beater in one game and disappear the next, it's a matchup dilema.

How do you slow down Shedeur/Hunter, et all in the passing game? Make no mistake, Shedeur is very good, he finds people.
1. Keep the ball away from him - have a consistent running game and chews up time and Scores putting more pressure on him
2. Have a very good back 7 of corners and safeties. We are not going to match up with them one on one very well in my opinion.
3. Have a very good rush with the front four and occasional blitzes. If you live or die with the blitz with Sheduer he will find the open person

I didn't watch the first half so fill me in.

Did CU throw to backs much?
Any screen game, bubble or other?

For me the keys to this game will be our O, can we control the ball and score.

On D we have to slow them down and limit the big plays. If we continually give up big plays, our D will get down and put more pressure on a young O. We have been susceptible to sideline over the shoulder passes, expect several of those and CU is great at it, dropping dimes is their thing.

I will go out on a limb and say this and probably get berated but that is fine, it is my opinion. The matchup I do not see us doing well with is our secondary and their WR's. We have to make up for that with our front 4 and blitz packages that do not whiff and get there on time. Again, our running game is key. If we give them the short field, katy bar the door.

I'll be happy with a 1 point win over the Puffs. Hopefully the team is focused on tomorrow and not CU, like we fans are doing here. The team can't afford to overlook anyone.

Reactions: king_kong_
No way DR is overlooking his first start after probably dreaming about this since he was able to walk. I think people underestimate what having a qb of his maturity and caliber will do for this program. He appears to already be leading by example.

The fact that Colorado only scored 31 is not a ringing endorsement for their offense that's supposed to be so elite.
They threw an INT in the endzone and failed on a 4th down inside NDSU's 30 yard line. The key will be containing their WRs. NDSU doesn't have the same coaches they had when they were dominant so that was part of their problem but CU's WR got away with blatant offensive PIs on several plays including a TD.

No way DR is overlooking his first start after probably dreaming about this since he was able to walk. I think people underestimate what having a qb of his maturity and caliber will do for this program. He appears to already be leading by example.
He is one of 22 starters. I’m not worried about him. The other 21 better be focused.

Ndsu had the offense to beat sCUm but not the defense. We've got a better defense but do we have the offense?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT