ADVERTISEMENT

We have silent commits

I am done with speculating. We will see what happens in February. All I know is this:

1. Riley and staff have done a great job of bringing top tier recruits to Lincoln. He is far beyond Pelini in this regard.

2. But as it stands now, Riley's class is very Pelini like. Mid 20's.

So silent commit talk is nice but we have seen this before. Show me the money

I am done with speculating. We will see what happens in February. All I know is this:

1. Riley and staff have done a great job of bringing top tier recruits to Lincoln. He is far beyond Pelini in this regard.

Yes, it's mid 20's but it feels different. It always felt like we were just throwing a class together at the end of the recruiting cycle. Now it feels like we have a decent class in the books and can potentially make it even better!

I am probably way off the mark here but a class rank of 20 doesn't seem to be the same from year to year. If you are not addressing needs, both immediate and future but you happen to get a couple of extra WR's you took just because but missed on the two LB's you needed, then while it looks good for star power on paper, it misses the mark on filling holes. I think that was what got BP behind the curve, lots of one position in one class and then none the next.

Reactions: MU4NU

So far I don't think this class has any commits that are planning on not playing football which fudged our team ranking some (Monte Harrison and Bubba Starling), but I agree if National Signing Day ended today.

I have actually heard him on the Gottlieb Show a couple of times...how does he keep a job???

I could ask that question of so many in the media both sports and non sports media people. It's obvious they are held to a much lower standard than other professions.

Yes, it's mid 20's but it feels different. It always felt like we were just throwing a class together at the end of the recruiting cycle. Now it feels like we have a decent class in the books and can potentially make it even better!

Que the music... "feelings, nothing more than feelings...."

At this point anything in the 20s would be a slight disappointment. The fact we actually have a staff with multiple talented recruiters who love to do it is huge long term. But after all the visits and hype if we end up in the 20s it probably means we didn't close that well. Doesn't mean we're doomed or the class was a failure, just a slight disappointment in the moment.

I think it is probable we have a few silent commits, but just like verbal commits they can waver and jump ship. Does not matter until they sign on the dotted line. I think we get some great players and scrabble to fill some spots we missed. #GBR

Rumor out there that the "S", which is capitalized, is for Foster Serrell.

KJJ confirmed the reasoning with a NU reporter. Coaches feel good, but said that Stanford had a good in home on Sunday. The parents are playing this close, but again, the coaches are pretty positive.

I have to say; I think I am going to enjoy the early signing period. You can establish the base of your class; and build from there. Will cut a lot of the tricks played on the recruits out, if not allowed to commit, they can move on.

The games won't go away, they will just be done in a different timeframe.

When you recruit top of the line guys, they still hold the leverage. If a cat like Foster Sarrell doesn't want to sign in the early period, a staff is going to hold a spot for him, if you feel you have a shot.

Now what could happen is that plan B guys could gain some leverage. If a school's number 2 choice at OT says he is going to sign early, it could force a school to move on that player sooner than they want to, for fear of missing out on both.

But the games won't go away, they'll just be different.

True, but there could be less time for meddling by other coaches who lose their priority target, and now make someone committed to you their new No. 1 target. If he is already signed by you, they have to go to their next Plan B. I know some commit without really being committed. But I think there are many who commit because at the time they are sure that's where they want to be. But throughout the fall other voices keep buzzing in their ears, and sooner or later a guy might start thinking maybe I committed too soon. If the guy signs in August when he was certain where he wants to be, those whispers in his ear never happen and you don't get someone starting to think maybe I should rethink this.

I don't think it'll matter much. May result in more transfers as kids will sign early and then be stuck.

True, but there could be less time for meddling by other coaches who lose their priority target, and now make someone committed to you their new No. 1 target. If he is already signed by you, they have to go to their next Plan B. I know some commit without really being committed. But I think there are many who commit because at the time they are sure that's where they want to be. But throughout the fall other voices keep buzzing in their ears, and sooner or later a guy might start thinking maybe I committed too soon. If the guy signs in August when he was certain where he wants to be, those whispers in his ear never happen and you don't get someone starting to think maybe I should rethink this.

Why less time? It's the same amount of time. It will just start earlier. Instead of the whispers in the ear in the fall, they will be in the summer. Players will start committing a few month earlier to hold a spot.

As competetive environment that recruiting is, an early signing period isn't going to do much to slow down the games played by recruits and coaches. Coaches will adjust their timeframes. It has happened in every sport with an early signing period. The majority of the players sign in November, a few studs hold out until April, along with some dudes who slipped through the cracks.

One thing an early signing period in football does is lessen, by one full football season, the amount of evaluation players will get.

As for silent commits, I'm more than happy to wait until after the silence is broken to celebrate.

Concerning the early signing period. There appears to be pro's and con's. Any program that's encouraging a hard commit, while also actively trying to upgrade that commit's spot, early signing will shut that down. Who are the two most vocal opponents, OhSU and Alabama, go figure. Would we have gotten Ozigbo if early signing existed then, it's definitely a double-edged sword.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT