redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
1, this is leading to our receivers being un-used, and not blocking
2, our defense being on the field all game, and getting injured
3, our backs never getting enough carries to get into a rythem
4, a lot of incomplete passes
5, and not putting teams away.

and it's not armstrongs fault…he's who he is, an option qb..
convince me Im wrong?

Reactions: huskerfan1000
our QB is a decent runner on designed runs and scrambles .. he has NEVER really run the option

his decision making is poor in the zone read and his pitches in the few true options are about as accurate as his passes

Reactions: HudsonValleyHusker

convince me Im wrong?

He's a LB or a safety. If he wants to play professional football, he should make the move as soon as possible.

convince me Im wrong?
Total mismanagement of a solid duel-threat QB. Langsdorf.

TA is entirely capable but he never gets in a rhythm because Langsdorf can't OC his way out of a paper bag.

His deficiencies are certainly on display more this year. The swing, screen, and short passes are iffy at best and the throws he is more accurate at are double covered most of the time.

Dr.Tom used to win most of his games with run-pass qb's in the 80's and 90's…he got away from the passing qb's, because oklahoma used to wear down our defense with the wishbone.

we at least need a faragamo, or dave humm to do rileys system..

and Im not sure why armstrong couldn't pitch…you just do it over and over in practice till it's automatic…and your footwork doesn't have to be great to pitch. compared to throwing passes.

It wouldn't trust TA to run the option at all. His decision making is terrible.

His deficiencies are certainly on display more this year. The swing, screen, and short passes are iffy at best and the throws he is more accurate at are double covered most of the time.
Does anybody remember the QB run play designed for Tommy that went for huge yardage???

Nope.

Everybody wants to ream the kid for throwing off his back foot and scrambling for a pass on the run in distress.

Langsdorf. Sucks.

I can certainly agree he's not being put in the best position to succeed (as it appears to be for most of the offense).

Dr.Tom used to win most of his games with run-pass qb's in the 80's and 90's…he got away from the passing qb's, because oklahoma used to wear down our defense with the wishbone.

we at least need a faragamo, or dave humm to do rileys system..

and Im not sure why armstrong couldn't pitch…you just do it over and over in practice till it's automatic…and your footwork doesn't have to be great to pitch. compared to throwing passes.
TO would run it down your throat until you decided to stop it.

TO would run it down your throat until you decided to stop it.
yes in the 80's and 90's…in the 70's he passed more, but he said passing was bad because you either scored quick or made incomplete passes…both of which left the defense on the field..so then oklahoma would wear down our defense by the 4th quarter, and just run down our necks..thats why he switched to running…

which Im all for..I think it's what NU should do. especially with a qb like armstrong..

convince me Im wrong?

He was rushing a lot of throws today but I can't say a bad word about the kid, he plays so hard and cares more.

Reactions: bigredhunter
He was rushing a lot of throws today but I can't say a bad word about the kid, he plays so hard and cares more.
Im not saying anything bad about him, Im saying you can't make a apple a orange, or a orange a apple.
I don't think montana would be a good option qb..

yes in the 80's and 90's…in the 70's he passed more, but he said passing was bad because you either scored quick or made incomplete passes…both of which left the defense on the field..so then oklahoma would wear down our defense by the 4th quarter, and just run down our necks..thats why he switched to running…

which Im all for..I think it's what NU should do. especially with a qb like armstrong..
My point is we don't stick to the run during the game when it counts.

We run the ball 3 times when Wisky is looking for it. Stacked box. Last 3 plays.

The play-calling is entirely awful. This team, offensively, is quite good. You can call out the defense all day long but this offense has talent. Riley and Co. can't find a way to tap into that. Terrible.

We run the ball 3 times when Wisky is looking for it. Stacked box. Last 3 plays.

The play-calling is entirely awful. This team, offensively, is quite good. You can call out the defense all day long but this offense has talent. Riley and Co. can't find a way to tap into that. Terrible.
I agree, the play calling seem disjointed 90% of the time. mainly because we are not using our qb's strenghts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lincoln100

not popular but Langs is absolutely right ... you run the ball 3 straight times in that situation 100% of the time .. you are under 2 minutes and at minimum if you give the ball back you do so to an opponent out of timeouts

heck last week he called a QB roll out RUN and his QB shit the bed and decided to throw the ball and everyone was bitching that you hand the ball off in that situation ... today everyone is complaining that he didn't think about throwing the ball

how about someone - either on offense or defense in the last couple of minutes make a friggin play

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Why is anyone surprised that Armstrong can't pass? The league has known that all along. A coach can only work with what he has and Riley does not have a qb capable of performing at the level needed. I think some of you over value the quality of players on your team. Give it time.

Reactions: KaptainQ
Why is anyone surprised that Armstrong can't pass? The league has known that all along. A coach can only work with what he has and Riley does not have a qb capable of performing at the level needed. I think some of you over value the quality of players on your team. Give it time.
Everyone outside of Nebraska Fan can see that. Unfortunately, there is a large number of those that are blind to that and think we have the same caliber of players as say Ohio State.

I would prefer to see our coaches find a way to use our current talent correctly. Get the most out of what you have!!!! Langsdorf is making Tommy a liability. I bet our offense would still struggle this year even if we had a qb like Trevone Boykin here. The crazy thing is Armstrong would likely be great asset for an offense like Baylor's or TCU's.

He's a LB or a safety. If he wants to play professional football, he should make the move as soon as possible.

No doubt this is true.
Heck of an athlete -yes
Tough competitor -yes
Major college QB running a pro-style offense - big NO.

As they say down South: You don't take a mule to the Kentucky Derby.

I would prefer to see our coaches find a way to use our current talent correctly. Get the most out of what you have!!!! Langsdorf is making Tommy a liability. I bet our offense would still struggle this year even if we had a qb like Trevone Boykin here. The crazy thing is Armstrong would likely be great asset for an offense like Baylor's or TCU's.
TA struggles on screens, short passes, touch, checking down and reading defenses. Tell me again what his strengths are that translate into a great D1 QB in any system.

He has heart and is a great leader. That will get him further on life than his QB skills.

Do you guys watch games..none of our receivers can get open and drop the ball 50% of the time and TA has to scramble every other play..all this after he figures out where the hell the ball will be snapped. Yeah any QB can be successful in those conditions.

Having said that TA does some dumb crap at times that he shouldn't be doing.

Last edited:
Do you guys watch games..none of our receivers can get open and drop the ball 50% of the time and TA has to scramble every other play..all this after he figures out where the hell the ball will be snapped. Yeah any QB can be successful in those conditions.

you're losing credibility with me. They're are countless times where receivers are open but TA does not go through his progressions.

you're losing credibility with me. They're are countless times where receivers are open but TA does not go through his progressions.

I believe you but do you trust them to catch the ball?

Cause he doesn't and its obvious. Cause I wonder why doesn't he throw it. Then I look and see who it is and I say oh that's why.

He has to trust them, if not he and the WR are hurting the offense.

on many of Wisconsin's pass completions we had pretty good coverage but the ball was thrown on time with correct placement - you can't really defend those

the short to intermediate passing game is darn hard to defend if the proper read is made and the ball is delivered accurately and on time -- crap we are less than 50% when the receivers has signif separation or when a completion is actually made the ball isn't where it needs to be negating any yards after catch .... we don't have a QB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT