ADVERTISEMENT

Watched the game this morning and took some notes

Norva

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2006
Big takeways:

Our offense can hurt you in so many ways. We can come out with Dowdell and bunch or TE sets and play smashmouth. We can get Johnson and Rahmir in there and kill you with passing game to the RBs. We just need to pick the right philosophy for the right times.
Defense seemed to be bend-don't-break particularly in the first half. I don't care who you give up 3 points to it is difficult to keep the score that low. We did struggle to tackle in the first half and the QB run game hurt us. Definitely need to work on tackling. Hartzog had a great catch on the TD but he was not wrapping up on tackles.
It was so great to see the second unit score a junk time TD. I grew up on those and we haven't had a lot of those recently.
There was a clear plan to get the young guys involved out of the gate. Really like the wrinkles with Barney.
Lack of turnovers is as much about playcalling as it is DR. We have adopted a very conservative approach to pass game with short dinks and dunks.
Overall I thought the playing calling was really good. I like the zone read and bootleg for DR to make the defense and future opponents account for him.
It was so great to see how pumped the student section was. We have been so bad for so long that with tik tok and everything I've been worried about losing a generation of fans. It was so great to see them so pumped. The future is bright.
It felt so good to nit pick a blowout loss again.

Other thoughts:

Too many penalties again. (Edit turns out I was wrong about this. We only had 4. Thought we had more.)
UNI QB had a great first half. Reminded me of how efficient NDSU's QB was against CU.
LLoyd should have caught that ball on the INT. It wasn't a great throw but he has to wrestle that into his body.
Really glad Alvano got some confidence boosting high percentage kicks.
We have an embarrassment of riches at WR. It must take effort to get all these guys touches.
Just not super impressed with Banks.
Can we implement a Brady like QB sneak for 3rd/4th & 1?.
Emmett and Rahmir made great plays catching the ball.
UNIs coach is really good. I like him.
Carter Nelson looked great.
Yogi Roth did a really nice job in the booth.
We had two plays again to Fidone that were lateral. They succeeded but still want to see more to him downfield.
The love Haarberg got made me smile.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.