ADVERTISEMENT

Views on Riley now

What is your opinion or Riley now vs 3 games ago?

• My opinion changed for the positive

Votes: 58 28.6%
  • My opinion changed for the negative

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • My opinion has not changed at all

Votes: 138 68.0%

• Total voters

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Im curious as to what people now think of Riley vs 3 games ago? I was one that was ready to run him out of town. Sad to admit it. lol After these last 2 games, the whole team looks much improved. Not sure why exactly? Players finally starting to try?

Honestly, my opinion was kind of "indifference" after all games leading up to Purdue. All were winnable, no blow out losses (like Bo), lots of bad luck.

After Purdue, I was very negative. Giving up 55 points to Purdue is unacceptable. Still upset about that.

The last few weeks, back to indifference and seeing some potential. So maybe a slight lean into optimism.

Still though, that Purdue game is something I'll never forget and will always be in the back of my mind when thinking of Riley going forward.

Reactions: cavalot
He's still the same guy, which I think is a good thing. I think the difference is urgency and developing trust. Trust in the coaches and the scheme. Remember these players have been taught since they've gotten here that everyone not named Bo Pelini is against them.

Reactions: 94husker
All new coaches need a couple years of recruiting and running their system before they can really be judged. I think year 3 will be the tell tale of what Riley will be like and what he can bring.

I'm still the same. I thought he was a pretty good hire when we brought him on, and figured "the next guy" was going to get a few years to shake things out whether it was Riley or Saban. I still think the trajectory here in the late season is working out nicely.

When the season got real bad, I could see that a repeat in Year 2 would end the experiment, but it seemed pretty obvious to me with all the issues, that a Year 1 to Year 2 transition was going to be observed at a minimum.

since we are getting way ahead of ourselves ... if things get turned around (a big if) Riley only has 5-6 years? He is 62 right now. Is Langsdorf being groomed to be the next head coach if the current regime survives?

Odds are against DL being Riley's successor. For that to happen, Riley's tenure must be a success with most of that due to the offense. But that will only get him an interview. Many here have said that NU is not the place for new head coaches to train. Whether the AD believes that or not, it's still a factor to overcome.

Possible but not likely

since we are getting way ahead of ourselves ... if things get turned around (a big if) Riley only has 5-6 years? He is 62 right now. Is Langsdorf being groomed to be the next head coach if the current regime survives?
we have won 5 games this year and have to beat a top ten team to get bowl eligible - Langsdorf has not done particularly good job calling plays and our QB is a turnover machine

I think these guys need to focus on keeping their jobs first even if Riley ends up doing well here this is not his call who his replacement is

I'm still in evaluation mode. This is the first year. I would consider myself short-sighted if I only look at either the highs or lows for the season.

Reactions: B3Vandy
My issue was more with Langs than it was with Riley. I am feeling a little better about it, but not a lot, because there just isn't a big enough sample size.

I seriously hope not. Riley needs to win a couple championships before he can even consider "grooming" the next head coach. And even then, it's probably not a good idea (see Frank Solich).

If Riley can make our program respectable again, we should have no problem finding a proven coach with experience to take over for him.

I'm not really going to be doing major evaluation until after the third year. Though we have certainly seen improvements in many concerning categories (e.g., penalties) as the year has progressed. I hope we finish strong and beat Iowa.

Reactions: kikdakan
should be about the right timing for Shawn Watson or Tim Beck to take the reigns

This year was never going to be a make or break year for Riley and staff as far as I've been concerned. Look what they were left with both physically and mentally regarding the team. They inherited a mess and it's taking time to clean it up. Next year I expect improvement on this year and in year 3 we SHOULD at least start sniffing the CCG again.

We are on the correct track, but I have said from day one it will take a few yrs to provide proper analysis.

Reactions: kikdakan
I was underwhelmed by the hire from day 1. Still not sure that he and his staff will get it done. Now, add that lightning rod recruiter and we may be cooking...

Reactions: B3Vandy
should be about the right timing for Shawn Watson or Tim Beck to take the reigns
ooh ooh ooh; car 54 where are you ? Mas
Odds are against DL being Riley's successor. For that to happen, Riley's tenure must be a success with most of that due to the offense. But that will only get him an interview. Many here have said that NU is not the place for new head coaches to train. Whether the AD believes that or not, it's still a factor to overcome.

Possible but not likely
So 6-4,6-4 : pressure mounts and Coach Bob roars it out : so we are saying no coach T O would have been better?

Was deeply skeptical after Purdue game, am back to being skeptical/wait and see with the results of the last 3 games. I wanted to see tangible improvement to give me hope and these last 3 games have provided some.

With that being said, I still prefer a new defensive coordinator as I have zero faith in that side of the ball with the exception of Trent Bray.

I was reallyyy discouraged, not throwing in the towel or anything but having doubts for sure. After the last two games, I've been feeling a lot better. I really hope that MSU win was a big momentum swing for the entire program!

My opinion has changed for the better for sure. After the NW and Purdue games, it was difficult to find much positivity in the team's performance. I was thinking that if there was no reason for optimism, no sign of improvement going into the offseason, it could be a very short tenure for MR and company if they start next year slowly. I think even if we lose to Iowa, as long as we don't get blown out, there is reason for optimism going into next year, just because of the MSU win, and improvement in penalties and defensive improvement shown against Rutgers.

Clearly, not every single mishap has been MR's or his staff's fault, but it doesn't change the way the season has gone under his watch. I am now cautiously optimistic going into the Iowa game - I would expect us to win if DPE was healthy, but you can't have everything. I think even if we lose, and don't get a bowl game invitation, as long as we at least show up to play against Iowa and keep it competitive, there will still be reason for optimism going into the 2016 season, so my opinion of this staff has improved for the better.

Reactions: AndyHanline

Bill Snyder is 76, but also an exception to the college football head coaching ranks as a whole. I simply do not think Riley will be willing to last that long as head coach at Nebraska. However, given the body of work we have been provided thus far to make any semblance of judgement (11 games), I really hope Langsdorf IS NOT next in line for the position as the head coach of Nebraska.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wasker77
I seriously hope not. Riley needs to win a couple championships before he can even consider "grooming" the next head coach. And even then, it's probably not a good idea (see Frank Solich).

If Riley can make our program respectable again, we should have no problem finding a proven coach with experience to take over for him.
So you judge our next coach based solely on Frank Solich. Chris Peterson, Butch Davis, George Seifert, Jimbo Fisher, and as someone already mentioned, Tom Osborne would probably disagree with you.

I have no problem going after an established coach next time, but raising up one of the assistants doesn't automatically spell doom and gloom. Not saying Langsdorf is the answer, but I'm not saying he isn't either.

Kind of an odd way to poll it, I'm in then"opinion hasn't changed " category, but that's in a positive way, as I've been decently positive on him.

Should have had 5 choices; better, worse, same positive, same neutral, same pessimistic.

Reactions: c2o and timnsun
I'm not a an of the Riley hire, I thought it was a bargain bin purchase at best but Id like to see what year 2 holds for him at Nebraska. They've actually improved quite well down the stretch and if they can manage to pull off a win against Iowa and win a bowl game then I'd imagine that quite a few will be pleased with the way things ended.

Hated the Riley hire the second it was announced.
I knew his prior coaching experience without having to Google.

Am I happy over what has transpired over the past couple of games?
Yes. I want good things for Husker Nation.
That's why I was, and.still am disappointed in the hire.
I honestly hope to be proven wrong.
Best crow I'd ever eat.

I was 100% behind the hire when it happened and have remained on board. He was brought here to fix the culture and everything I've seen shows that is happening.

Riley was a puzzling hire to me, not because I think he's a bad coach but I just don't see him as the guy who gets NU back in the business of winning conference championships. However, I vowed to be patient and not worry too much about the W-L record until he gets his own recruits on board.

That outlook has its limits, however, and I found the Illinois and Purdue games infuriating. The former because of the end-of-game mismanagement, and the latter because it was an absolutely humiliating train wreck. You have a former walkon QB starting who has 8 career pass attempts, and you still can't adjust your game plan? Nah, let's just hand Purdue half its points on a silver platter, get completely blown out through three quarters, then feel good about racking up meaningless passing stats during garbage time.

So to answer the original question, I feel a helluva lot better about the Riley regime after the last two games, but that's partly due to the depths it had sunk to in West Lafayette. I'm back to skeptical-but-hoping-for-the-best mode, and anxious to see what the Iowa game holds.

haven't changed at all, to be good at pass happy, we will have to compete with everyone else nationally recruiting for the same types of players and win, to be a championship team.

Reactions: jeans15 and B3Vandy
just cant get over the stupid decisions - not running the play clock down vs byu, the pass vs illinois, running three dive plays against wisconsin when one first down would win the game, one unreal bad playcalling drive in the 4th qtr vs minny, and the end of the first half last week. It's just hard to believe we're ever going to get to the point that we can constantly overcome this kind of stupidity.

No change.. the ball has bounced our way a couple of times now, that's all. .500 coach, .500 team

Cautiously optimistic. He's showed willingness to adjust scheme to play more to his team's strengths, but I'm not sold on the notion that he's taking NU to CCGs just yet. The defense seems to be improving.

I'm still having visions of passes being called when they should be running. Running the ball seems like that job that Langs hates but he does it because it pays the bills, but his *real* passion is winging it 40 times a game.

All new coaches need a couple years of recruiting and running their system before they can really be judged. I think year 3 will be the tell tale of what Riley will be like and what he can bring.
Wow, so there is reason amongst us. I agree, a new system, a completely new staff, a new culture, resonating problems with the last regime, etc. It wasn't supposed to go smooth.

Reactions: elvis1403
enough out there to wonder how much discipline and accountability is in the program. could argue its transition, time will tell if it's something more.

the personality contrast from prior leadership is refreshing.

I guess I'm a wait and see, yet

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT